Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Sam!
That new piece is rockin! the colors.those little retro rectangles(even carried over onto that cool tiki's face) and the lighter color drumsticks to denote movement! Wait'll Squid see this one,drummer that he is! Great job,as usual! :D

Argh, I've been having trouble logging on for some reason, I've missed out on a lot!

Sam--these are so much fun! I love the logos for the The Voodoo Room, sleek and contemporary yet timelessly retro (if that's all possible).

That poster is a lot of fun, too--it's something that would make me smile every time I see it! I wish I had been in SoCal during the event (I have family down there but my visits don't always coincide with the rip-roarin' functions).

Lastly, that tiki drummer: love it!! The stylized lines of "sound" coming from one of the drums are so cool--it's energetic, graphic, and vibrant!

More, please (when you have time :) )!

Take care,

I.

Thanks Ken and Ivanchan. It's great to hear such kind comps coming from other artists! It means a ton to me!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Aug 18, 2007 7:04 AM

Great style, as per always mate. Very nice :D

Awesome Sam! A perfect mix of my favorite things: tiki, jazz, and googie! Excellent work as per usual!

Thank you, hewey and suburbanpagan... I appreciate the comps!

Sam, the new stuff is great. I love the bowling brothers, they make me laugh. I hope you aren't getting bogged down with alll the new wally world traffic out your way.

Gamma Sam,

that Tiki drummer shiz is the bizz- nizz, bee's knee's, and the whoppah wif cheez!

"I'm lovin' it!"

ST

Hey frostiki and Sneaky Tiki- Thanks for the kind words! I've wanted to do a tiki painting which features an vintage style jazz drum set for quite a while... I like the 1950's jazz genre/style. Hey frostiki, all is well out this way. I now have somewhere close by to go if I feel like thumbing through magazines late at night!

Here's the new painting for the upcoming BLAB Show at Copro Nason: It's the mystic Criswell (from Plan 9...) on a fortune machine like the one on the old Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner. It's enamel on board with a real eye jewel and bolts. Thanks for looking!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-08-25 14:29 ]

Love this one Sam. I was always a fan of Criswell and your rendering looks like a
photograph. The hair is spectacular...and the fortune telling machine is way cool.
Fun stuff.

That is a cool painting Sam. And that was a classic Twilight Zone episode.

The fortune telling napkin holders in that Twilight Zone episode were based on real production models, although they did not have the devil heads. If you set out on a Rt66 trip, see some old ones at the Summit Inn at Cajon Pass: http://thelope.com/2006/02/twilight-zone-on-route-66-victorville.html

Wow Sam! That's incredible and creepy and wonderful all at once!

Criswell!
Your menagerie of personalities from these genres are always Incredible and Incredibly funny!
Let's hope this helps with the immortalization of this this gent and his wild predictions!!!!
Classic! :D

Thanks a bunch for the comps, congatiki, Tiki-Tonga (great pics too!), tikijackalope (thanks for the cool link), suburbanpagan and Ken! I thought it's due time that ol' Criswell gets a little more recognition. :)

F

Very cool, nice use of bolts and jewels. The red on the back ground is addding a mice dimension theo the creepiness.

Thanks, frostiki.... I like creepy in this case!

F

Creepy isn't always a bad thing. Unless you are referring to Dateline or the show the Pick-up artist on VH1, those guys are creepy.

Here's a limited edition Sam's Shrunken Head mug which I just finished personalizing and defacing for a fellow TC'er - in purple and gold yet!

Sam, lookin good!
I meant to mention to you that I went to the Reef Tiki bar here a couplah mo's back and there was Sam Gam print/art all over the place framed and hung on the walls above booths, it's going in a neo-trad/new school tiki direction in there now, there was alot of other print art too but the majority of the balance was Gambino's. Thought you might like to know (if you didn't already).
:drink:
ST

:) :) :) :) :) Very cool Sam!!! I am Diggin' it, the lettering looks crazy Great! Can't wait to see it! HiPhiPaHuLa!

Thanks for the tip, Sneakytiki! I sell quite a few prints, but never really know how or where they are being used. That's nice to know...

I'm glad that you like the mug, Hiphipahula! The color doesn't show up that well in the pic, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Thanks again!

Sam!
Hiphip always gets the goods! The Maroon and Gold look great on there! And the stripin is quality as usual! You've actually managed to purdy him up! Lucky Kelly!
:D :D :D

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 8:57 PM

Nice lines on that mug Sam, very sweet :D

Thanks Ken and hewey - Hopefully it did pretty him up a little! I was tempted to give him hair and some porkchop sideburns. :wink:

B

Love your Drummer, It's Hard to Beat.

Thanks, Ben! It was fun to paint too....

Here's the completed new piece for Brushes, Needles and Burnouts at Kustom Kulture Gallery. It's enamel and found objects on 7"x17" board.... Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-09-11 21:41 ]

P

What are the found objects? Can't make out much on the pic, other than your astonishing talent for photorealism. I really like the older piece of yours someone is selling on ebay at present too, with the Moais 'n' Pinstripes.

Killer, Sam, just killer

I'll be going to that show. I'm sure your work has a whole new dimension when seen in person. Will you be there?

Sam's work looks even better in person! Saw his art at the Tikis n Terrors show last year and WOW!!!! The man is a Master of OneShot!!!! This new one is lookin rad,Sam! You've got a knack for portraits! Multi-talented little bugger! :D

Thank you, Paipo, OceaOtica, Raffertiki and Ken!

Paipo- The found objects don't really show that well in the pic, because I am no photographer! There are chrome Harley-style bullets in the top corners which hold on a bulky chrome chain behind the piece which when hung, extends well above the board.

Thanks, OceaOtica - I tried to do a killer piece for a guitarist who was simply killer himself.

Hey John, thanks too! I'd like to be at the show, but I won't be making it - my wife and kids are wanting to do Disney within the next month or 2....

Thanks for the kind words, Ken! Coming from you, that makes my day. Keep up the great work yourself!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-09-12 12:45 ]

Link
Ray!

Awesome! Just looking at the piece I can hear the reverb!

Thanks Brad! I have one of his performances from Conan O'Brien on tape from about 10 years ago. He was such a badass...

Sam, your still impressing me. Very cool.

Thanks frostiki! I appreciate the kind words.

C

Very nice and cool!

Where the hell have I been! In a cave no doubt. That Link Wray piece is fantasic but oh man I do love that Twilight Zone piece. One of my favorite episodes to. I like your combination of Plan 9 with the Twilight Zone, AWSOME!!

Thanks so much for the kind words, Clarita!

Hey Doug- Great to hear from you! That whole Twilight Zone/B-Movie genre is my favorite, so I had fun painting that. Thanks for the kind words too.

stinkin amazing!

T
Tabu posted on Sat, Sep 15, 2007 7:20 AM

Sam, I love the Link Wray portrait. I saw his last Toronto show a few years back- insane on so many levels. Looking at the painting it all comes right back. The striped mug is pretty fine as well.

Thanks so much for the comps, Sophista-Tiki and Tabu!

Tabu - I'd love to have seen Link Wray.... You lucky dog! :wink:

Great subject and execution as usual Sam! Still weirdin' on the crossover Ed Wood/Twilight Zone piece! That one is insane! Excellent as usual!

Thanks suburbanpagan! The Criswell was a fun one to do - loaded with kitsch! :)

Here's the new enamel on masonite piece "Lyman at the Grove". Thanks for looking!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 9:54 PM

Nice work Sam! Being 24 and from the other side of the planet, I dont always 'get' your retro pop culture work, but the quality is always awesome! :D Love this new one

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies