Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Hey Ben and hewey- Thanks for the kind words. I do appreciate the feedback.

Hey Ben - I'm still kicking at the day job, but working harder during my own time. I have a potential coffee table book to put out! (kidding, as of now :) )

C

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

Chongolio Blutarsky

R

Very cool Sam. By the way, when can I pre-order my coffee table book of Gambino Art?

Thanks, Chongo and rodeotiki.
Hey rodeotiki, I have to get to work on nailing this coffeetable book deal... I've never pushed for a book deal. You guys have me thinking though... :wink:

T

Man, love the look on his face. I love your stuff. I often go to your site and look around. Everyone should take a peek

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2005 8:58 PM

Right on , Im sure dj.lee would love that one...

Thanks, Thanatos and kirby. I went for a "devil-may-care" expression on his face.

great work sam! love it.

Thanks, Marcus- That means a lot coming from a tiki freak and artist such as yourself!

Great piece Sam, love the tiny hands with the big body. I wish I had a piece in that show. Are you doing anything for the DVA gallary show, Stickshifts &
Safetybelts?

Sam, I totally missed this! Love this! It's so great you all have a venue for your work...seriously!!

This one is a lot of fun...

Thanks so much, Doug and Fourcrows. I appreciate the kind words. Doug, yes I'll be doing a piece or pieces for the S&S Show at DVA Gallery. I'm still tossing around options for the designs though! Unfortunately, my art is on hold for a few days due to Hurricane Dennis approaching.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-08 20:23 ]

Sam,

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the comic panels on yr website. Very funny stuff. I'd encourage everyone to have a look if you haven't already. And of course, all the art is very cool.

You should think about making tiki art prints of the works that could hang in anyones tiki bar...like not name specific to the space itself. Maybe make some new ones for purchase too.
Example: Try our blank (Mai Tai?) and have a pic of the drink and one of yr awesome stylized tikis. I know I'd want one...

Thanks for the kind words, Slacks. I just now read your message, returning from my evacuation from Hurricane Dennis. Thank God, I didn't so much as have a stray twig on my lawn!

That's a great idea for the prints. Most of these names on my paintings, however, are just made up by me - many don't really even exist even as someone's home bar. I can easily change any text in my "Tiki Signs" to say anything since they are digital renderings. The paintings would be much more difficult though.

"Many a truth is said in jest!"

On 2005-07-05 06:33, Sam Gambino wrote:
I'm still kicking at the day job, but working harder during my own time. I have a potential coffee table book to put out! (kidding, as of now :) )

I like your style. There is this other guy that has a simular style as you. His stuff just dosn't grab me like yours. And they make musicals and Disney throws tons of money at this guy. I don't get it.

Your stuff rocks Sam. Tight designs.

So whens the book due out?

Thanks for such a nice compliment, AlienTiki. There's no tentative date yet set for the coffee table book. I have some soliciting to do yet!

This is a painting of a vintage late '50's gearshift knob of mine. Since I like it, I had to paint it. It's 12x18 enamel and bronze powder on masonite.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-09-15 16:59 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2005 4:19 AM

Love grandpas speedshop, and the shifter is phunkin kool. Love the influences you build into your stuff. Would love to see some more of your humour creep into your art.

B

Sam, I Love the VooDoo Head Gearshift Knob, but I REALLY Love the Grampa Munster. He has been my Favorite Grandpa of all time. Loving your work.

Sam- Love your artwork all the way down to your super-hip signature! Grandpa's Speed Shop really shows detail and lighting unlike alot of your other pieces- a real leap in advancement seen in this piece from here.

Great stuff!

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-26 09:58 ]

A nice homage to ol man Munster. You can see the twinkle his eye and hear his crazy laugh. The Munster song definately is in my top ten for theme songs from a TV show. I always thought Grandpa had one of the badest rooms, a trap door into a labratory..How cool is that!Did they ever show a garage in the Munsters? That is a really cool piece Sam, you really got the Munster style. The shifter knob would of worked well in one of Grandpa's killer rides.

Blap-blap-blap-blap-blap-RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Chongolio

Thanks for the great feedback, hewey, Ben, Skully and Chongo. I did enjoy painting grandpa. I hadn't done that style in quite some time.

Wow !!! those are both great Sam. I like the shifter the best. Oneshot with silverleaf maybe? Beautiful work.

Thanks rodeotiki. Yes, it is One-Shot with some bronze powder worked in.

Fantastic Sam! Makes me want to work tighter! Love the results! Awesome!

Sure can't add anything of merit...but great job...love
the Grandpa Munster....I laughed as soon as I saw it!

I remember Grandpa Munster as trying to run for Mayor of NYC in the 90s. He had a Saturday afternoon radio show and everything. Nice one Sam, you nailed him.

T

Met grandpa once. Cool guy. Art work is great!

Thanks, Thanatos. I'd love to meet him too. It's great that he's still kicking after all these years!

Hi Sam - fantastic gear shift knob! Grandpa is so realistic - could easily be mistaken as a photo! I sorta have a gear shift fetish - cant get enough of the little fellas - in fact I have started carving my own and have been asked to carve some unique ones for hot rods and custom cars.

Thanks a bunch for all of the kind words, Marcus. For the record, here's the story behind the gearshift knob painting:

We fled to Birmingham, Alabama to get away from Hurricane Dennis earlier this month - I have a great uncle there who owns a speed shop which he and his brothers started in the '50s. There is quite a bit of old stock there from way back when, and when I went to the shop, I asked him if he had any old skull shift knobs around. He went behind the counter and just handed it to me. When I got home, I dug out a 1960 Car Craft magazine with an old ad in it showing a drawing of the very same knob with that same wording: "Voodoo Head Gearshift Knob" - so I added my own layout, letter styles and colors, and did the painting. The whole irritating hurricane ordeal turned out to be quite inspirational!

Grandpa's eyes look just right. Brings back good memories, Sam.

SF

I really dig those new paintings Sam. Those must be for the DVA show. I always like hearing how an artist gets inspiration for doing a painting, very cool.

Thanks, AA. Grandpa brings back good memories for me too. He and Vincent Price when he did those commercials for the shrunken head kits back in the mid-70's.

Thanks too, Doug. The VooDoo Head is for the DvA Stickshifts show, and Grandpa went to the Tikis and Terrors show at A StuART Gallery in Encino.

Here's the artwork for Cheekytiki's London Luau at Trader Vic's...

Here's the link for it:

http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk/

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2005-08-14 23:35 ]

H

Man I love this one too. Another awesome piece. The layout is perfect. The text is awesome. Very cool.

I can't wait to recieve my Sam Gambino print! Should be making the trip down under any day now!

B

I really love this one too Sam. Love the deep Blue and Big Ben is Just Perfect(how could I not love that!) Plus the tiki face just looks so typically British with that toothy grin and cleft chin. Just plain Beautiful. Cheerio!

FA

Clean, classy, and classic looking, just SUPERB! Hope it is a hit.

Thanks, hewey, Ben and Fez Ape. I watched 18 hours straight of Monty Python, Benny Hill and Fawlty Towers to get the right feel for the art... Okay, I'm kidding! :) Those shows are hilarious though.

I think this one is your best of this style so far. Are they flying you out for the Luau?

Thanks, Raffer - I don't believe I'll be flying over, but of course that may not be out of the question! Cheekytiki?....Cheekytiki?? :wink:

great artwork Sam....and it looks like a great time too...
let's all go!

Sam , your lettering is simply amazing. I wish I lived closer to you as I have decided to once again try my hand at some one shot and a mack brush.

T

Man you even make a brit tiji look good..LOL

What can I say that hasn't already been said?
Thanks Sam for producing agreat piece of Artwork for us, we love it and so do TV's and Appleton too.
Well done

Thank you, Cheekytiki - Congratulations on organizing such an event. It looks like it will be a great time!

Thanks for the kind words too, congatiki, rodeotiki and Thanatos. It's always very much appreciated.

Hey rodeo - take the 1-Shot and give that Mack a whirl!

Sam -- You're incredibly talented! Thanks again for sharing your work with us here on TC. I'd love to have you do some work for WHOLLY CATS!!!/HAOLE KATS!!!...we don't have an immediate need, but I'm sure something will come up!

Josh Gibson
http://www.whollycatsband.com

Thanks so much, Josh. I saw your site - very cool! Let me know whenever you guys are ready, and I can whip up some art - sounds like it'll be a fun project!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies