Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Cool. Those have a real nice Basil Wolverton feel to them.

Thanks Eric, and Slacks! I did mix up some Wolverton and added some Roth in there...

SWEEEEET!
I did the Swami!

Tikishark sez

SWEEEEET!
I did the Swami!

Brad....you can't go taking credit for art that Sam did!
especially on his own thread!
Sam!
the more i look at Goathead Stu
the more i like!
the pallette is perfectly old school big daddy
and the expression is goofy perfection!
"ink and enamel on paper"?
How does that work?
i used to mix cologne with ink
cause it would evaporate once it hit the paper
because of the alcohol in the cologne
and it smelt good! :lol:
is it something like that?
do you wash down the enamel with turpentine for washes?
Anyways,stoked to see you drawing a bit more
and experimenting!
Viva!

Thanks Brad and Ken! They were fun projects I did in front of the TV... I appreciate the feedback coming from a couple of excellent artists like yourselves!

Ken- I just thinned out the green enamel with thinner and painted it on. It's what I had on hand, but if I had gouache or watercolor, I would have used it instead. Thanks again guys!

Here's my new painting for the Mad Magazine Show at The Gallery at East Atlanta Tattoo in Atlanta on April 11-29. "Dave Berg's "Lighter Side of..." has always been my favorite. Thanks for looking!

yes! spectacular! (as usual!) I loved how Dave drew the chicks in the seventies! muy caliente!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2009-03-26 20:18 ]

Two thumbs up!
Being a MAD reader all my teenage years
this really brought me back!
excellent..most excellent...

Thanks so much suburbanpagan and Ken! I do love the way he drew ladies too.... everyone had lots of character and attitude! I just bought some of Dave Berg's original art from 1976 - one that featured himself as Roger Kaputnik.... He was a true classic!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-03-28 23:12 ]

bumpin' good ol' sammy back to the top. I love the "comic book" aesthetic in the last pieces. It's impressive to be able to go from reality based paintings (like the rat pack/wolfman/capt kirk type stuff) to your more whimsical comic style. both styles keeping true to sam gambino style of "fun" mixed with intense detail. Love it!

my fav? prolly the last of the 3 you posted above - it looks like he's about 90% shrunken head!

Thanks a bunch for the kind words, Polynesiac! I've been branching out into different styles lately. This economy and the fact the the realistic paintings are time-consuming and basically a pain in the rear end to produce have encouraged me to look at other styles.... That sort of keeps things evolving anyhow I guess!

Yes very kool Painting .

Thanks Tyger Jimmy! I appreciate those kind words.

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 7:05 AM

Great Roger Kaputnik, Sam! I remember a few cartoons he was named Mr. Dudd.

Thanks Bowana! I have a 1960 Mad magazine, and his work looked much different then too. It was pre-Lighter Side art. He actually spelled Kaputnik like "Kaputnick" then...

RH

This was wild to see - my last memory of this guy's work was maybe from the 80's. Very nice work Sam.

Was Hank Hills' design inspired by Dave Berg?

That was a blast from the past!
Wish I would have kept a few Mad Mags.
Great work Sam. I'm totally digging
your thread. So many fun things to see.
Your godzilla piece floored me.

Thanks so much Rob and Iokona Ki'i! I appreciate the kind comps!

Hey Rob- He just died in '02 I believe, but the 80's is when I got into his work too. He really knew how to draw girls - never trashy or disrespectful, but very alluring! I'm not sure if he was the inspiration for Hank Hill, but I certainly see what you mean. Now I'm wondering that too!

Hey Iokona Ki'i, thanks again for the kind words! I'm going through a little style change right now, but I'm enjoying it and trying to keep my artwork from getting stale.

Here's the Russ Meyer painting of mine for the M Modern Show on April 25. It's called "The Lust of the Flesh". Enamel on canvas 14 x 18. Thanks for looking!

Sam thats FLIPPIN INSANE . Love the Busty Girl .

Very cool Sammy!
almost a Dan Clowes feel
if you're familiar with him...
Waaaay better tho!
Red Pink Black Maroon Yellow white
you have such a knack for color
both in your realistic work
and the graphic/comic-booky pieces
looks like Russ just can't fight the feeling anymore!
to dig up some REO Speedwagon lyrics!
Not that they have anything to do with him! :lol:

i wish more TC artists would wear ascots...

I can't believe you did this soooo fast!

C

Great piece of work Sam. Makes me wanna have a few cocktails tonight and
watch "Faster Pussycat" and "Mudhoney."
Now....how about the Gambino treatment for some of Russ's girls.

Art Baby! Art!

Sam, that is a perfect tribute to the man who had the
best taste in female figures. Great job!

Go! Sammy Go!
This is an instant classic...like the movie.
One of my all time favorite films.

Whatever happened to The Vegetable?

Wahiniana Art by Iokona

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-04-03 21:04 ]

Thanks so much for the comps, tyger jymmy, Ken, conga, Brad, Tiki Kaimuki, and Iokona Ki'i! I appreciate it!

Ken, I need to wear MY ascot more often! :wink:

Congatiki, Since the show was moved, I may do another painting... maybe one of the old "princess" lady in Mudhoney!

Iokona Ki'i - I'm not sure what happened to The Vegetable! :)

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-04-04 12:09 ]

sam that is superb

Thanks so much Marcus! It's great to hear from you! I hope all is going well.... It's been a while!

Here's my first ever attempt at carving. It's a carving of a trophy finger - a shrunken finger I guess! Only this one is actual size... I saw one something like it on a Twilight Zone episode called "The Jungle". One feather is from my Peruvian Nanday, and the other one is from a yellowhammer I believe. I did enjoy carving it... Try not to laugh, Ben! :)

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2009-04-06 23:54 ]

SIC!

Great job, very realistic & very original

CREEPYGOOD Sam!
That talent of yours isn't just for painting/pinstriping/lettering/and drawing anymore!
Add Carving to your list,'cause that's one cool finger!
Thumbs up for the finger!
:lol:

B

Sam, That looks Awesome, Are you sure you carved it? It looks Just like my neighbors finger he last last month!
About time you tried carving, you Gotta be a Natural.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 8:54 AM

great idea, great carve realy cool details..your a carver who woulda knew..keep it up..

Thanks for the kind words Kiki, MD Mike, Ken, Ben and Kirby! I had some heart redwood in the garage because I used to make sandblasted signs with it. Now my little boy wants one - maybe a four year old size finger! My boy gave me the feathers he was collecting from our bird, and my daughter gave me the beads, so they had an important hand in it (but not a finger!). Hey Ben, thanks for not laughing! I thought about how it might be to make a mold of a finger and do a few of them in resin. That's where your friend could have helped! :wink:

SAM Redwood ROCKS Dude very kewl stuff .

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 11:53 PM

GROG hope that's not a gift for GROG. Everybody always give GROG the finger, so GROG not need another finger.

I love it Sam!!!! Way cool idea.

Thanks so much tyger jymmy, GROG and Tiki Diablo. It's great to get comps from artists like you guys!

Here's a new commission painting done just like The Curse of the Tiki Idol - only instead of painting the Brady Bunch Tikis, I painted a few of the Tiki Gardens tikis, since the buyer is from Florida. The Curse of the Tiki Idol's layout was based on the look of The Ritual of the Savage LP. I may do more of this style featuring other tikis or even mugs. Thanks for looking!

GREAT RE-VISITATION OF THAT STYLE,SAM!

you wanna do some more?
YES!
you're a natural with this style!
and it looks like a lot of fun to paint as well!
Go Sam!

Thanks Ken! It's nice to loosen up the old brush sometimes! I appreciate the kind words - It's always great to hear comps from the "jackrabbit" of great art! :wink:

SAM!
The Curse of the Tiki Idol / Twilight at the Tiki Gardens is beautiful. I dig he loose energetic brush work. I'm sure this is gonna really set the mood for some lucky Floridians home Tiki Bar.

B~

awesome departure in style, Sam! I know what you mean about working with the brushes.......I have been working digital for a long time and I am itching to work with my analog brushes ( no one gets that joke!) so I ordered some illustration board and just got it the other day! I plan on painting some in acrylic and some in gouache and I can't wait to feel brush on board! I just wish we could get LLT to paint more often! :D By the way, my mom gave me a Gambino TIki Bowl print on metal for Christmas and I've been meaning to tell you!

A very fun departure. It's very nice to see you do Tikis.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Brad, suburban pagan and Robb! It really was fun to slop and drizzle a little paint for a change!

Hey suburban pagan, tell your mom thanks for supporting the art of tiki! I've seen pics of those metal signs, but never saw an actual one in person. I did license the designs though.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Yes! That "Ritual of the Savage" style popped into my head immediately! I'm always excited to see what you'll do next. Keep em coming!

Oh yea, and p.s.
I was just checking the site, and your lettering makes me almost want to cry a little! It brings all of your work to life and really accentuates the styles that you want to bring across. Very inspirational.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies