Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thanks, finkdaddy! It was very tough to do almost the same painting twice! I did it kicking and screaming, but it was commissioned for the current show by someone who wanted the first one. Here's the first one and the new one side by side:

:o Two words for you... Wow, and Wow!

I don't know what impresses me more: your lettering skills or your rendering skills because they are both incredible! Awesome!

VERY impressive Sam. I should show you the stained glass and pinstriped Rat Fink I made for COOP last year.

Chris

Rat-Fink-TASTIC!
You're painting kung fu is superior!

Looks great Sam! I feel for you painting the same thing twice...It's good to see them both together. I really dig the black and white renderings in paint. Usually you see graphite or charcoal for monochrome. The paint does the old photographs justice and then some.
ST

Thanks a bunch, finkdaddy, suburbanpagan, LEDTiki, Tikishark and Sneakytiki - I really appreciate your comps! Hey LEDTiki, post that stained glass - I'd love to see it.

Here's an off-the-cuff ink wash shrunken head on bristol plate I did tonight. I've wanted to do a shrunken clown complete with a foam rubber wig for quite a while, and my little girl has been asking me to do one!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2007-06-10 14:12 ]

That clown is sick! I hate clowns, but this dude is somehow copacetic. What makes the Ed Roth duo super cool is the greenish skintones on the red background, and the redish skin tones on the green background.

Thanks Raffertiki - I appreciate the nice comments! Yes, I know that many of us hate clowns - so do I, but I think I can speak for many when I say that we probably hate mimes even more. However, I hate mimes so much, that I wouldn't even want to paint one as a shrunken head.

Thanks too for the Roth painting comments!

Love yer speed shop paintings Sam, The best!

On 2007-06-08 13:00, Sam Gambino wrote:
Thanks a bunch, finkdaddy, suburbanpagan, LEDTiki, Tikishark and Sneakytiki - I really appreciate your comps! Hey LEDTiki, post that stained glass - I'd love to see it.

Here you go SAM. When I find it I'll PM you one with some sunlight behind it.

Chris

Thanks Tiki Diablo! It's nice to hear from an artist of your caliber.

Hey LEDTiki, thanks for posting this piece... Very cool! I like the pinstriping on it too. A stained glass Ratfink sure beats a seagull, flower or something boring like that!

Thanks Sam!

Are you going to color the clown?

Sam, you've got it going on with the Rat Fink painting, I'm still in awe of your photorealism. The shrunken clown head makes me laugh, I'm not sure why but I found it funny.

On 2007-06-11 10:31, AlohaStation wrote:
Are you going to color the clown?

I think you should just color in the hair and add a big red nose. :wink:

Hey Aloha Station- I won't be coloring old "paint-puss" as it's an ink wash and I have no watercolors... :)

Thanks frostiki - yeah, the clown is a little tongue and cheek piece - not so much polynesian, but more for people who hate clowns!

Hey finkdaddy- My happy memories of watching Bozo just hit the skids! :)

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-06-11 15:20 ]

F

I have some crayons you can borrow.

outstanding work sam this is my favorite

B

SAM, I LOVE This Head. I Might carve him in a few weeks if itz cool!
Been Missing you, how goes it in Alley Bammey. You know my son got married to a Birmingham girl and moved up lock stock and barrel.

Thank you, Marcus and Ben! It's great to hear from you guys...

Ben- Everythings cool in Bammyland - no hurricanes, but we could use some rain. Also, I'd love to see you carve this head - of course!

H

On 2007-06-11 15:19, Sam Gambino wrote:
Hey finkdaddy- My happy memories of watching Bozo just hit the skids! :)

They all float down here Georgie...

Pennywise - the clown from "IT" by Stephen King" - did for clowns what Jaws did for sharks :lol:

The coolest tiki art is not bought on ebay, it comes personally from my fellow artists on TC

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-06-18 00:34 ]

Thanks hewey!

Now my happy Bozo memories just burned too! :wink:

Here are 2 logos for The VooDoo Rooms in Edinburgh, Scotland http://www.thevoodoorooms.com/ . They are vector creations. As the proud owner of a Fender Telecaster, I feel great that I was able to put one into this logo... Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-06-28 22:29 ]

WAAAAAAAAAAAY COOl SAM!
Lovin the chair,pose,and attitude of that second guy A LOT!
Those VooDoo blokes must be flippin!
I bet you made their Day! Great font and that red shading is perfect!
You're a real Pro!

Sam,

Really, the Voo Doo room is fantastic. I love you put in the spot light! (I'm all about the lighting) I think this is my favorite so far!

Agreed! The spotlight is awesome! Love the dude too! Great lines (as usual!)

R

Mr. Gambino, your art is fantastic, i was wondering, for something like the voodoo room vectors, do you hand draw the images then scan and convert to vector, or do you build a vector image from scratch? once again great stuff, thanks for your time

Love it ALL!

Thank you for the kind words, Ken, Tiki Shark, suburbanpagan, Rastiki and Aloha Station! You guys kick out some awesome art as well, so it's great to get those comps from you.

Rastiki, I usually do a rough pencil sketch of the different elements in the art, scan them in and draw away. I then move them around and resize them then put them together. Thanks again!

you know I always dig seeing your latest creative explosions even if I am slackin' on commentin' on all the peeper parallelizin' goodness you have been postin' these days. That Voodoo Room tiki has a sweet Darth Maul quality workin' Hope your summer is blisterin' and you got a nice shady spot to beat da heat.

Chongolio

Thanks for the comps, Chongo! I've been slackin a little myself!

TL

Your are the coolest.Those are awesome.

Hey thanks T1K1LEE- I appreciate it! I hope I can live up to being the coolest! :wink:

F

Sweet Illustrator work. I love the textures and added details that you are putting in to these.

Thanks, frostiki - I've wanted to create a horned tiki for a while!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-07-05 22:05 ]

Here is the official art for the Sam's Seafood Mug Release party at Sam's on July 28th. These prints will be for sale there during the party, and I'll be there hoping to meet as many TCers as possible!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-07-07 01:04 ]

C

Very nice!! love the 2 logos for The VooDoo Rooms in Edinburgh too! Congrats!

Very kool. I have always wanted to swing from the Sam's sign. I guess I will just have to live vicariously through your artwork. Or maybe after a few mai tais...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Clarita and TIKI K! By the way, if I see someone swinging from the Sam's sign, I'll know who it is! :wink:

B

Dam Sam, Haven't been over to this side for awhile, you guys are ALL Crazies if you ask me! Nice to see your work again, I Must start getting over here more often, I'm missing too much Great stuff.

Great work as always Sam. I love the rich colors.

S

are there any mugs left sam?? lemme know thanks,stuff looks great as usual!

Hi Benzart, Raffertiki and Sleestak.... I'm sorry I missed your comments here. I've been out of town and preoccupied with company at our place too. Thanks for the kind words! I wish I could get around here more often too!

Sleestak-

There should be more Marquesan mugs at Sam's Seafood for purchase.... I don't have any of those, but there are lots of the Mort, Maury and Merv Bowling mugs of mine at Tiki Farm. I'll be getting some myself soon to sign and sell too. Here's the link to them:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25019&forum=17&1

Here's the new painting I just finished for http://www.uwannitwear.com . I was asked to do a female tiki drummer. It's enamel on canvas:

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-08-16 22:19 ]

Nice!
I so dig your colors!! The movement and the retro look are perfect! Great Work Sam! (as usual!!!!)

Bula Vinaka sam, I was just taking a look to see whats new in your world, all of your new pieces look pretty cool! Dawn

Thanks so much, Tiki Shark and Dawn. Your kind words are much appreciated!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies