Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Great painting Sam. Love those funky teeth, looks like he could use a good orthodontist. The little mug he is holding is cool also.

T

Sam !! I totally am discovering so great work here finally!! I am slowing down to realy take in the wonder of this place.

Enamel on canvas?? I assume that's enamel paint as apposed to enamel powder that is fired...since it's on canvas. BEAUTIFUL!! If you are ever wanting to trade and I have something you like..give me a shout!! I am definitely a fan!!

By the way..although I have a very "viking" name..it was my step dad's name. I am 3/4ths Italiano bro!! Gambino and falabrino and De Fazio are all family names in my tree of ancestors. There are some my Grandma De Fazio won't talk about that came through Chicago in the 30's I think and are there today that got into what she calls.."the bad side" I hear my relatives did a little partying with OL' Al Capone in the good ol' days!! Maybe we are related!!

Best wishes~~~ It's fun to get out here..getting addicted. LOVE your stuff!!!

~~ THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-14 22:38 ]

On 2005-05-14 16:02, Raffertiki wrote:
I like it. The Bamboo Bunker is such a cool name for a tiki bar, and is that mug holding a grenade?

The name bamboo bunker is for my new home tiki bar, and the mug will be a maori type tiki holding a grenade shape vessel. I am actually producing the mugs myself for my bar and as a product....should be available this summer. I'll leave a thread and let you all know when they will be available. the mug will also have a metal ring to simulate the pull-pin. As you may recall, the slang term for grenades in WWII was "pineapple", due to the fragmentation design of the grenade itself...they resemble pineapples! glad you all like it- sam does awesome work!! I needed a sign and he was the right man for the job!! thanks again sam!!

Thanks, Doug, Thor's and Tipsy McS for the comps...

Doug, his teeth give him that crazy, tipsy look. I just couldn't in good conscience, give him nice, straight dental work!

Hey, Thor's, it's always nice to meet a fellow Paisano. I would never have known! Who knows, maybe some of my relatives did tip a few glasses with yours. There's no telling who knew who and who was connected. As for a trade, I would very much like to make a trade soon. I have some orders to fill now, but when I get them finished, I'd like to work something out with you. Thanks so much for the offer, as you do some top notch work.

Tipsy, again, that's a unique and very cool idea for a mug as well as the bar name. I'll have to get one of those mugs when they come out too...

http://www.samgambino.com

B

Great collaberation and follow-through. I can't wait to see the mugs that go with this. Sam, as always, flawless. Love the font on this one!

Another eye popper that makes you go Hmmmm. Thats a unique twist, Kinda has a 1950 cold war feel too it. I can see it now a bomb shelter with a full blown tiki bar inside. Who needs food rations? I knew a guy that had a bomb shelter in his backyard. I wonder if it is still there and if he is using it?!?
A gernade mug huh? That seem like it would be appropriate when reading some topics here on TC. BOOM :o

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

Tipsy couldnt have made a better choice when choosing Sam.

This is one of my favorite Gambino creations yet.

Thank you beachin, Chongolio and rodeotiki!

Hey, Chongo, I hadn't thought of the 50's cold war aspect of it, but I see what you mean! That was unintentional - kind of like a "good mistake" - those do not happen for me often - usually it's just regular old mistakes! :)

Thors - sorry I forgot to respond about the enamel - It's good old Signpainter's 1-Shot lettering enamel paint. I wouldn't mind experimenting with the other kind that's baked, but I would have to research how to use it.

T

Sam, as always looks great. I still am going to make a new tiki poker table and will need some stuff. But you guys got me into carving... Havent had time... LOL

Thanks, Thanatos. That's fine - I'm liking the carvings!

K

mr gambino your a master among men...kirby

Thanks, kirby. I appreciate your kind words.

Based on and in honor of the old Chin Tiki in Detroit, here is the latest enamel and gold leaf painting for the DvA show:

and here's another called "Twilight Serenade" for the DvA show:

Hope ya like....

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-04 22:19 ]

K
kirby posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 3:48 PM

your the man gambino.I like them both but the twilite in hawaii is my fav you gonna make prints ill take one!!

Hey, thanks, kirby. I really am considering selling prints of these too. I will let you know if/when they are ready.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-04 15:59 ]

B

Sam I love these new guys , I think I'll eat inn . I think you need a pendant family for all your pendant type paintings. These are just too awesome to be buried away anywhere.

Thanks much, Ben. You know that you are welcomed to start carving them whenever you are ready. I'd love to see them in "Benzart 3D!"

These are both great Sam. I agree with Kirby and think you should make prints.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, rodeotiki. I appreciate the kind words.

Love 'em both, Sam. But "Twilight in Hawaii" takes the cake!

T

I dont know why, I look at the trilight one and think of James Bond.... LOL. Looks great!

Thanks A-A and Thanatos. The very center of the stars in the Twilight painting are gold leaf too - very tiny amounts but added just for a slight effect. Thanks for the comps!

Here's the latest commission digital illustration (done with a Mac instead of my usual Mack (striping brush)). I needed to give him an appetite for blood.

Yeah , This guy is bad ass.
Reminds me of the Roth monsters.
This is my favorite yet.
Thanks for sharing Sam , this may be my new wallpaper ( if thats cool with you)

F

Thats he style. Classic "ODD RODS". I Especially like this one. Really tight Sam.

That is one bad Mutha on a speed boat to china! He kinda lloks like my antenna topper. I totally dig that one Sam! Definately has the Big Daddy/ odd rod feel to it. I was just thinking you dont see to many tikis haulin' ass in a boat.
I just looked at the Tiki Wong and Twilight ones too, very cool as well. The red/orange backgrounds are pretty tasty.
You are on!
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

B

Sam, this one is reallyFantastic. If I'm good, do you think I could get a ride in his boat?? I might be a bit afraid if he said yes. That look in his eyesdoesn't leave me with a safe feeling for some reason.
Keep popping these dynamite pieces out Sam, thay're Great.

Thanks much, rodeotiki, flacookz, Chongo and Ben. It's for a classic speedboat show/meet, and it had to look a little "Roth-esque".

rodeo- start wallpaperin' away...

Hey, flacookz- Odd Rods rule!

Chongo- Welcome back! I'm sure you couldn't WAIT to leave that dreadful island and get back home! :wink:

Sure, Ben- if you don't mind a singed hair or 2... :)

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-15 07:03 ]

Too cool!
Sam, what r ya usin', Illustrator/photoshop? I'd love to hear your process.

T

GREAT as always next Sam!!! keep up the great work!

On 2005-06-15 07:55, surfintiki wrote:
Too cool!
Sam, what r ya usin', Illustrator/photoshop? I'd love to hear your process.

I too would love to know the process.

Thanks a bunch, surfintiki, T5-0 and theartcoach.
It's done in Illustrator. I do a small sketch on a legal pad, scan it into photoshop, drag that into Illustrator as its own layer, dim it to 50%, lock it so it doesn't move while I'm drawing it, and go to town with the brush, pencil and pen tools. I used a separate drawing for the boat, drew it in Illustrator, then put the elements together to make the overall piece. I really enjoy Illustrator much more than Photoshop, but it used to be the other way around.

J
john posted on Wed, Jun 15, 2005 2:13 PM

THAT IS AWESOME! i love his facial expression, definetly cant be up to any good
-john :)

Your tikis sure have a style.

You could probably pitch an animated series to the Cartoon Network.

Awesome picture Sam.
I find your comment about Illustrator vs. Photoshop interesting, because I could never get Illustrator to make sense for me. I prefer Photoshop right now, but I have a feeling it's because Illustrator seems so foreign...

Anyway, nice pic!

T

Wow Sam. Love the pin stripping the most! Why you asked, it takes alot to pull it off. But the rest looks great to

Sam, thanks for the brush tip, I forgot that tool was even in Illustrator. I will have to check it out and see what happens.
I too use Illustrator quite a bit too nowadays and have come to love what you can do with it. Being a photoshop junkie from the 3.0 days I still like to goof in photoshop, but for clean lines, sharp text and speedy redraws nothing beats Illustrator. The pen tool does take some practice though.

Chongolio

Thanks, john, Raffertiki, Slacks Ferret and Thanatos. Cartoon Network... sounds nice! (wheels are turning....) :)

Slacks, I used to really like Photoshop, with all of the tips for making stone textures, backgrounds, and clouds. However, after working with Illustrator and having to feel my way around, I like it much better and try to use it whenever possible. Like Chongo says, the lines are clean and crisp and the file sizes are small. I also like it because it's a little more "manual" to work with for me - more like drawing. I learned quite a bit more about it just by messing with it.

Chongo, something I like to do is to make custom art brushes in Illustrator. Do you do that? I'll draw an elongated solid black shape pointed at both ends (like a long leech), and define it as an art brush. It gives me a nice dip pen-like stroke.

I started Photoshop at 5.0, and am only up to 5.5 now! (you know - "old dog....new tricks") I'll bet 3.0 was interesting....

H

Go baby go! Thats a bad-ass looking tiki dude

Thanks, hewey!

Dig that Speed Boat Tiki Sam. The red eyes give him that special evil touch. Was that done in Illustrator? Great job!

Thanks, Doug. Yes, I used Illustrator 8.0. I've come to enjoy working in Illustrator.

Here's an illustration from a little while back for Gecko's Tangaroa mug. Some of you may have seen it, but I don't think I ever posted it here...

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-17 10:18 ]

T

great job!! another awesome piece sam!!

B

Sam, What another super creation. I believe I have seen it before, maybe from Gecko or his site. Really well done and I'm sure Mr Gecko was shickled titless. I Love the Gecko in the name and the flame coming out of the mug that's so Hot It's HOT,,It's COOL, it's Mine

Thanks for the kind words, tiki 5-0 and Ben... "shickled titless"... I like that :)

B

I want whatever he's having!

Here's "Trypnotiki"... He's more wall-eyed, his teeth are a little more jagged, he has an inverted soulpatch and he has a few more knots on him. I was commissioned to do a variation on Hypnotiki, so here he is:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies