Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

OH WOW!
Sam, your stuff is getting better and better! I got chills when I saw how cool the Lyman piece is!
Bravo!

T
Tabu posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 2:16 AM

Another great one. Nice caricature of Arthur. I love the lettering work. The detail on the guitar and aloha shirt are incredible.

Wow Sam! You're just PUMPIN out the Jams! Great colors and style on this one! Evokes the old Bing and Bob movie posters! The caricature and fonts and color........you nailed it! Even a lil tiki in there! REPRESENT! Another great piece Sam! :D

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 9:37 AM

Ditto what LLT said.

I concur with Grog's dittoing of LLT's comments! I'd love to see that as a matchbook cover as well! Looks fantastic.....I love that Lyman sleepy look! Awesome work as per usual, Mr. Gambino

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-18 10:21 ]

Hey Sam, love the lyman piece, ditto the dittos.

Ditto what Tabu said, and ditto what Grog said too. While I'm at it I'll ditto Suburban and Swampy as well. That's one sweet Lyman. Link Wray is fantastic too! Man, you have a great eye for type.

m&m

J

" " :)

Hewey, Brad, Tabu, Ken, Grog, Suburbanpagan, Doug, Cheekyhalf and JenTiki - Thanks so much!

I really appreciate the comps and dittos! It was a fun painting to do... really it's a result of all my hours of combing through thrift store record bins - and watching Bing and Bob movies. :)

Man, that Lyman art is nice! Are you going to be making prints/metal signs of it? Just say yes.

Thanks TK! Yes I am offering 13"x19" prints of the Lyman piece for $39 - this covers shipping Priority Mail too. Just email me at [email protected] . Thanks again!

F

Sam, you've just been cranking the hits out lately. Have you been mainlining the caffeine or something? The Aurthur Lyman painting is great, love all the detail the went in to the shirt, very nice. I still can't beleive that you hand letter all of the stuff.

Thanks frostiki- I'm glad that you like it. Thanks for the kind words!

C

So nice! Congrats! you have the finest cartoony-style ever!!I love it!I can almost hear him sing....

Thank you, Clarita! I appreciate your kindness.

Here are 6 new gold leaf pieces done for the VooDoo Rooms in Edinburgh, Scotland. They are enamel and gold leaf on 7"x17" board. Thanks for looking!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2007 1:13 AM

Nice work Sam, great work on different pieces with a recurring style. Good to see some tiki work too mate! :D

WOW! That is too cool! I like them all, a LOT. But the Elvis is the coolest. No, maybe the horned one. No wait, wait... okay they are all really strong. Strong, expressive, and something that in know will influence my next tiki painting!

Is there any chance of seeing a photo to the "rooms" after they are installed?

T
Tabu posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2007 4:34 PM

drop dead cool. The last guy with the crazy hair cracks me up. This must be a swinging joint to have these on the walls.
I too would love to see some on location photo's.

C

Very nice!! There you have your patches already ;D !(perfect for my future cool jacket) Best wishes!

Aloha Sam!
Those skinny panels are Delicious! Each one has his own unique personality! I'm in agreement that the Johnny Rotten one on the bottom is TOO MUCH!!!:) These are gonna spruce up that place BIGTIME! and with the gold......YOWZA! Add me to the pile of requests for some location shots!

Thanks a bunch, hewey, Brad, Tabu, Clarita and Ken- I appreciate the very kind words! They were fun to do and to design. They were to look somewhat like tiki musicians so the Johnny Rotten one fits right in. It sounds like it is quite a swanky place they will be going into - I will ask for some location shots when it's done. Thanks again!

F

That last one is freaky. Love elvis and the other masks, the wild hair one is cool but freaking me out at the same time.

visit us at http://www.frostiki.com

[ Edited by: frostiki 2007-10-08 19:24 ]

Thanks frostiki- Yes, there is a colorful assortment of personalities there! All the more interesting and fun to do.... Thanks again!

All great my friend. My fave is #3 down. Elegant perfection. I'd like to try to carve it, with your permission, Sam.

Carve away, Hodad!! I'd love to see it. Thanks for asking too.

Here's a golden screaming maori - gold leaf and 1 shot on board with jeweled eyes. It'll be at the Tiki Mag show. Thanks for looking!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-10-18 16:16 ]

Lookin' good Sam!! That face just jumps right out of the board. Love the jewel eyes!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 18, 2007 6:06 PM

Very nice work Sam, as always :D

‘bout time for some metal flake eh mate?

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-10-18 18:09 ]

That's gonna look soooooo ZINGALICIOUS in this upcoming show! Again, the computer pic looks incredible,but i know in person it's gonna be ZAGAZAGAZING!I can't believe how much great art is gonna be at the Bali hai!

Thanks a bunch, finkdaddy, hewey and Ken! I worked on this guy while I was doing the other gold leaf pieces. I guess he would be a distant maori cousin to the others!

B

Yo' Sam! Sweet looking Mean Maori. I Really love the stripes, the top-knot, the teeth, tongue and everything else about this guy. Love it Love it LOVE IT.

Thanks a bunch, Ben! He was inspired in part by the maori's you carved for me. I did put my own spin on his mouth and other somewhat animated elements on him...

F

Sam, nice detail on the maori mask. Very cool.

I was staring at the one shot yesterday in AL Art supply and saw your card, I almost broke down and bought some in your honor. Then I realized, I have no idea where to begin with that stuff. So I got some gouache that was on sale instead. I figured if I was going to try painting with a medium I hadn't used before I should go a little cheaper.

Hey frostiki-

Thanks for the kind words! That's where I get the stuff when I need a small amount. If you need larger amounts, it's cheaper to have it shipped from Tubelight (Memphis). Maybe I need to try gouache - it's cheaper, but I wouldn't know where to start with it! :) Well, thanks again!

Here are 2 new Munster commissions - the family is complete now! They are 1-Shot on masonite.... Long live Kayro-Vue!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-10-23 21:31 ]

Beautiful! HAunting!Eddie does deserve his own Drag Strip! Great renderings,color,and fonts!!!
You consistently crank out QUALITY work Sam! Kudos to you!
So what's next? the Addams Family? :wink:

Very Cool! And perfect rendering - again! (Eddie's eye brows is sooooo damn bushy! Must be near the full moon!)

Thank you both, Ken and Brad... I appreciate your comps!

Hey Ken, maybe Fester with that light bulb in his ear.... Hmmmmmmm :)

GT

Isn't Sam's Work Just Awesome! What Else To Say! Mahalo Sam

B

More Excellent stuff Mr Sam, I Love your latest Family and Perfect timing too! Do you have a "Family Portrait" of all the pieces together, I think that would be cool?

MR

Top-notch as always. One-shot? That stuff's tough to work with from what I hear, which makes the work that much more amazing.
Cheers.

Thanks so much Gotiki. I really appreciate such kind words from an artist such as yourself yet!

Thanks so much too, Ben! I feel the same way about you. Below is the Munster family in order of appearance. Maybe I need to do Marilyn and Spot too???? :)

Hey Matt- Thanks so much for your kind words as well. Yes, it is 1-Shot. You know what they say about an old dog and new tricks...... :

Here's a commission actually for the guy shown in the background. He wanted a painting of himself golfing with Hogan. It's enamel on stretched canvas. Not a tiki painting, but it was still fun. Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2007-11-02 09:23 ]

C

The Ben Hogan is a super piece Sam. What a great idea to put peeps together with
sports figures/celebrities. Have you done much of that kind of commission or is this
a first?

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2007 9:40 AM

Sam, I agree with Conga...your starting a fire here...mucho potential. Your painting skills are over the top out a sight! Crisp - Tight - Home run!

Thanks, congatiki and Babalu! This is my first time painting someone with a celeb. It can get a little tedious trying to get one person's photo angle to fit with the angle that Hogan was shot at, but should be easier next time. Thanks again for the kind words!

Very nice work Sam, your work is outstanding...especially considering you're using 1-shot...Striping is one thing, but how do you get it to blend so well? What reducers do you use to keep it wet long enough? When striping I usually use either turpenoid or mineral spirits and it stay wet long enough to blend small areas but your paintings are alot larger than I would ever try to do with one shot. Would you mind explaing your technique? Again totally AWESOME work.....Thanks Wess

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2007-11-04 21:59 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies