Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thank you, Ben and foamy! I always appreciate the comps! I'll have to think on doing a Lily or a pinup of Marilyn... :wink: or maybe of "Wolfie", Eddie's doll. I always wanted one of those when I was a kid. I think you can buy those now, but they're limited edition and something like $1500 dollars or something....

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 5:35 PM

Hey Sam, have you thought of putting your hot rod stuff on hot rod items? Like mooneyes Japan have their pinstriper put some art on moon discs - great hot rod art! Or do one of your tiki figures on a rum bottle...

Canvas is over rated!

Good point, hewey. I have done wooden bowls and skateboard blanks, but a '57 Plymouth hubcap or bottle would be cool.... Something to consider. Thanks!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 9:46 PM

Start scouring those swap meets! Also may I suggest some nose art style cartoons and pin ups? Put "nose art" into google image search, there is some top stuff to be found. Some great adaption of the English language too.

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-03-17 00:06 ]

Hey hewey- Yes, I've always been a fan of that good old vintage nose art. That is something I intend to tap in the future! Thanks again....

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 11, 2006 5:44 PM

Hey Sam,

Anything new cooking at the Gambino's? Whattcha working on?

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-04-11 17:45 ]

Hi GMAN- I'm working on a Von Dutch piece right now. It's almost finished, and a few tiki pieces coming up too for upcoming shows. I'll post them when they're ready... Thanks for asking!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 14, 2006 10:43 AM

Sam,

Sounds like you've been busy! I can't wait to see them....

-Gman

Sam , saw your work in person at the self propelled art show. Its simply amazing in real life. Pics dont do them justice.

Thanks GMAN and rodeotiki. Kind words are always appreciated!

Great stuff Sam.

I did a sketch back in high school of Einstein wearing a Jimi Hendrix experience t-shirt.
Your portraits look great!

looking forward to seeing the new tiki pieces.

Hey ATiki- That sounds like my kind of sketch - cool subject matter.

Thanks for the kind words too.

Testing. Please ignore.

Since I'm a tiki and kustom freak, and I know a lot of you are too, here's the latest painting for the Von Dutch Tribute Show at Copro Nason. It's enamel and gold leaf on canvas. Hope you like 'em!

http://www.samgambino.com

R

The man himself would like it. This is one of my favorites you have done yet.

Thanks, rodeo. I really enjoyed doing this one.

L

On 2006-05-02 20:53, rodeotiki wrote:
The man himself would like it.
No he wouldn't.
he would, however, as they say, be spinning in his grave about now.
Ken Howard hated copying.
and self aggrandisement.
And merchandising.
especially to the extent his namesake is doing now, thanks to his two daughters, who may or may not like the image. depending on their cut.

Hey lanikai- The title of this painting is "A Word from Our Sponsor.." loosely referring to how the clothing line has made his name a merchandising tool not giving him the respect that WE pinstripers have always held for him. Notice the television shape and upside down name? I love your passion though (as misdirected as it may be. Great to know my piece evoked such passion. Remember as I said... It's a TRIBUTE show, not a merchandising show.

L

On 2006-05-02 21:12, Sam Gambino wrote:
Hey lanikai- The title of this painting is "A Word from Our Sponsor.." loosely referring to how the clothing line has made his name a merchandising tool not giving him the respect that WE pinstripers have always held for him. Notice the television shape and upside down name? I love your passion though (as misdirected as it may be. Great to know my piece evoked such passion. Remember as I said... It's a TRIBUTE show, not a merchandising show.

dass cool. No reflection on you as a good artist. it's just that so many know of Kenny Howard as someone who he jezz ain't.

And he, in my estimation, from what i have heard, from his friends who knew him for years, simply wouldn't like where his name is goin'. (in the merchandising arena, doncha know.)
keep on keepin on, bru-thah!

Thanks lanikai... I appreciate that. I really painted this with the utmost respect for him, his name and his craft.

C

I can't see any pics....what happened? Anybody else having this problem?

B

Yes, Sam, it seems your web site is down, what up?

F
foamy posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 5:15 AM

I'm not seeing anything either. I was all set for a treat.

I'm sorry about that! Yes, it went down after I posted. I'll let you know when it comes back, because I'd like to hear your feedback on it....

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 8:41 AM

Artist paying artist tribute. You can't get much better than that.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 4:07 PM

Very cool Sam! Awesome work man! The detail is awesome!

My only comment would be that it might have been cool to put in some striping? There'e no room to add it to that design though. A flying eyeball might be a bit too cliched.

Sorry for the delay with the website being down... the pics are back up. Hewey, thanks for the comps... I agree with you on the eyeball, and the striping is around the flames.

Here's the latest painting...it's for the Loyal to None Art Exhibit at Asbury Lanes, New Jersey on May 13. A tribute to one of my all time favorite kustom artists - Good old Big Daddy Ed Roth...

http://www.samgambino.com

R

Now your just showing off. If I didnt know better I would swear that was a photo and not a painting of Roth. The lettering is spot on perfect.

Thanks rodeo. I appreciate that! I almost painted Jack Nicholson with his football helmet from Easy Rider for this show, but Ed Roth is more up my alley!

SF

Wow, looks like a photo to me. Love the black and red checkerboard look also.
Great job Sam!

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 12:09 AM

Mate - awesome work! Love em both!

Sam,
If I hadn't seen your work in person, I just wouldn't believe that it wasn't a photograph. The lettering and the border are spot on too. Great job!
cheeky half

Thanks a bunch, Doug, hewey and cheeky half. A little of my OCD kicks in when I paint the faces, so it's nice to hear you say that it looks like a photo... The Obsessive Compulsive tendencies are paying off!

C

OCD works very well for you Sam...more stuff....great as usual!

F
foamy posted on Fri, May 5, 2006 10:47 AM

Wow. These are the best portraits I've seen from you yet. Very tight. I dig the background on the Von Dutch a lot. Great work—as usual.

Great stuff Sam. You really have got the portraits down. And a couple of my hero's. Well, Von Dutch is sort of an anti-hero. Both crazy artist. you did a fine job capturing some of that craziness.

Best of luck with the shows.
E

L

On 2006-05-03 16:07, hewey wrote:
My only comment would be that it might have been cool to put in some striping? There'e no room to add it to that design though. A flying eyeball might be a bit too cliched.

well there is still room for the cliche to be altered, adapted and re-used. The flying eyeball is not exclusively a kustom culture icon, as it originated with the Macedonian and Egyptian cultures at least 5000 years ago. It has been employed as a symbol within esoteteric philosophy through countless cults and writings, religions, etc. since time immemorial, basically conveying the concept "the all knowing omnipresent omniscient overseer is everywhere and knows all, sees all..."
(whew. talk about a picture worth a thousand words.)

and as Kenny Howard was such an iconoclastic buggah and believed in reincarnation, it suited him.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-05-05 14:33 ]

That's a fantastic painting of Ed Roth. Just wanted to give you my mad props.

Thanks very much for the comps and props, congatiki, foamy, AlienTiki and Slacks Ferret, and for the info, lanikai. I appreciate it! The Ed Roth painting is for the Loyal to None chopper art show. I thought about painting Indian Larry or even Jack Nicholson's character from Easy Rider, but I thought Ed Roth would be the best choice--- after all, he built a chopper or 2!

Great paintings! thanks for the eye candy.

Sam, these are awesome, but still, you have to paint Jack Nickelson's character from Easy Rider. Your fans demand it. Lebowski from The Big Labowski is also an official request.

On 2006-05-05 18:15, Raffertiki wrote:
Sam, these are awesome, but still, you have to paint Jack Nickelson's character from Easy Rider. Your fans demand it.

"Nick! - -Nick!-- Nick!... fuff --fuff--fuff........ Indians........"

"...these aren't pork chops - they're U.S. Prime....." :wink:

Thanks Raffer!

WOW! you are the best portrait painter I have ever come across - and your paintings have reflected your respect for these two iconic figures. Great work Sam.

Thanks very much for the comps, Marcus. I'm pleased that the paintings reflect my respect for them, because I have always held them in high regard.

H

Great new stuff Sam! Will you include Stanley Mouse in the series?

On 2006-05-07 08:25, hodadhank wrote:
Great new stuff Sam! Will you include Stanley Mouse in the series?

Thanks, hodad! Possibly Stanley Mouse sometime - after all, he is a fellow Detroiter....

Sam....your stuff is amazing. Way too cool. As soon as I get done posting this...I am on my way to your website!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies