Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thanks, hewey... I appreciate the bump! :)

I have prints ready of the "See Easter Island" painting... It's based on the Aku Aku cover. They are signed on 13x19 inch heavyweight matte - special TC price, $25 - shipping's on me (you save $10 overall). Anyone interested, email me at [email protected] . Please identify yourself as a TCer. Thanks....

Vampira and Shatner prints also available for the same price...

B

Woah, Nice Shatner Sam! I think the man himself would Love this version of him. He seems to have younger eyes, but have you taught him to Sing yet?, Or is it still "Talk" along. I think you should be prepared to sell a ton of these pic's. SamTastic

On 2007-01-13 09:44, Benzart wrote:
... He seems to have younger eyes, but have you taught him to Sing yet?, Or is it still "Talk" along...

Who

are

youkidding
Shatnersings

abird.

Hey Ben-

Thanks a bunch! The pic I used was a few years old I believe!

Hey hodad- I like his new one, "It Hasn't Happened Yet".

F

"Has Been" is pretty infectious, too.

Hey Sam, The Easter Island print and mug are very happy in their new home. The mug is finally sleeping through the night. Thanks again.

Thanks frostiki. I'm glad that they've settled in well. Again, it was nice to meet you!

Hi Sam G,
Ive been occasionally checking out your work, but this is my first time commenting, like you need my opinion( sarcasm font ) Really amazing ! Dawn

On 2007-01-18 20:54, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Hi Sam G,
Ive been occasionally checking out your work, but this is my first time commenting, like you need my opinion( sarcasm font ) Really amazing ! Dawn

Thanks Dawn- I appreciate your opinion very much! Please feel free to give it anytime :)

Here's the new enamel painting for Blond Bombshells 2 at M Modern next weekend. As a tiki freak, I thought Sandy Warner's eyes needed their own painting! Does anyone know if she is still around? I can't find anything on her...

http://www.samgambino.com

H

WOW man. Thats awesome!

Hypnotic! Really fantastic work! How the heck do you hide your brush strokes so well!

Thanks a bunch, hewey and Tiki Shark! I mostly blend the colors together with a sable hair brush and sometimes my fingertips.

B

Freeeky/cool! I Likee.

A ah! fingertips,

What?!?! Are you saying this is a finger painting! OMG!
Sable... er...those are the red haired brushes..right? I gotta get some of thoses!
Beautiful work! I can't wait to see the next piece!

Well, I sometimes lay the colors down with a brush, and blend or soften the edges with my fingertip or a red, short-haired sable blender brush. My Signpainters 1-Shot enamel dries like a varnish without texture too, so that may have something to do it. The only problem is if you put it on too thick and recover it too soon with new paint before it dries, it can tend to wrinkle up. Other than that, I like the way it behaves, and I try not to put it on real thick.

F

Sam, it was nice meeting you too. Like you said i's nice to know that there are other TC-er's in the area. I'm going to have to try out the fingertip technique, Great painting, I love the shadows in this one.

Thanks, frostiki- I appreciate the kind words! This was a fun painting to do. I tried to "kitsch" it up a little by just painting the eyes, nose and hair.

Wow! Really powerful punch with those eyes and fonts on black background.

Thanks a bunch, Sneakytiki - It is to the point I guess!

S
squid posted on Wed, Jan 24, 2007 4:25 PM

On 2007-01-19 22:39, Sam Gambino wrote:
Does anyone know if she is still around? I can't find anything on her...

Sam! That painting is freakin' awesome! It's about time someone gave Sandy a fitting tribute.

I've never been able to find any current info on her. But she did have a brief recording career. From Squid's Vinyl Vault I bring you...

Complete with liner notes by Mr. D himself...

Hey squid-

It's nice to hear from you... Thanks a lot for the kind words and the LP scans too! I know that there are a lot of us tiki freaks who would appreciate seeing her get some exposure these days, as her image is really iconic to me. There is also a Twilight Zone that she appeared in called "A Nice Place to Visit" from 1960. The old TV Guide ad for the episode actually shows her eyes faded into a black background. Well, thanks again...

F

I can honestly say tah I only new of her from my wife's Martin Denny album covers and the twilight zone episode. When I saw your painting I had to go on IMDB.com to make sure that she was who I was thinking of.

J

She is the reason I picked Martin Denny instead of Baxter as my first exotica CD purchase. Your painting is excellent as usual. Love your style.

JP

Hey frostiki- Her part in that Twilight Zone was small, but classy nonetheless...

Thanks so much, JohnnyP-- I'm with you there - Les Baxter had some great LP covers, but it's hard to say no to Miss Warner! :)

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-01-25 20:51 ]

Hey Sam,
Are you going to do prints of "Plan 9 from Disneyland". I would love to get my hands on one of those. Cheers!

Hey hipster- Check your personal messages....

C

fingertips? Great! a really incredible style you got there!! congrats!

Well, there is fingertip blending going on when it seems appropriate.... that method is not the majority by any stretch of the imagination! Thanks for the kind words though, Clarita! :)

Here's a new "Old School Vegas" tiki painting called "King of the 5¢ Slots". I've been wanting to do a painting that somehow features The La Concha Motel in Vegas. The tiki eyes are silver bronze powder...

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-02-12 09:59 ]

F

I think that my grandfather used to have those pants. Very cool, Sam, very cool indeed.

These are my favorites. The photo stuff is cool but your "animated" style really is cool.

Thanks, frostiki and Aloha Station!

Frostiki - Watch it.... I HAVE THOSE PANTS! :wink:

Aloha Station, I took a little break from the animated stuff, but I think I'm getting back into it with some new ideas.

C

Really great!! I love this style of your so much too!! Viva the new ideas! Can't wait to see them!

Tiki Candle Maker

[ Edited by: Clarita 2007-02-12 10:25 ]

Hey Sam!
Great piece!You're on a roll,man! I'm going to Vegas tomorrow and this just sets the tone perfectly! The old signs are perfectly charming!
And you are so lucky to have a pair of pants like that!
Well, onward to the 5¢ slots!

Sam Gam the Enam Man,

I'm likin' the neon, and the tiki's pants... priceless. I want that tiki's jacket!

-SnizzleTizzle

Thanks so much, Clarita, little lost tiki and Sneakytiki! I enjoyed painting this guy... I even thought about including other signs in the painting about $1.99 buffets and 2 for 1 prime rib dinners, but didn't want to crowd it up!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 12, 2007 5:54 PM

Tiki-vega montage baby :) Sweet

Thanks hewey - I always appreciate your feedback!

F

Ah polyester the fabric is so… Not made for our humidity down here. Careful before you get a heat rash.

Great piece Sam. We were just in Vegas and took a trip to the Neon Graveyard and saw the roof bits of the La Concha in there. I'm really glad they were able to save that place from total demolition.

M

Nice...

beautiful work, sam I love your work...so much like a photograph...but more perfect!
I got my "visit Easter Island" print a while back and it is TOTALLY AWESOME. Thanks!

Hey cheekyhalf, MT Kahuna and Polynesiac- Thanks for the very kind words.... I always appreciate your response.

Frostiki- I'm with you on the polyester... If only I can find those pants in 100% cotton!

Cheekyhalf- I went to vegas in 2000, but was sorry that I didn't visit the neon graveyard. I'll make it a point to visit next time. In 2000, the La Concha was still standing and we did go inside though, so I'm glad of that.

Polynesiac - I'm glad you like the Easter Island print. I'm thinking of doing a few more Easter Island paintings to put with that one.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-02-15 19:44 ]

Here's the new ad art for DvA's Gala Tiki Anniversary Show, June 23, 2007 in Chicago. I am very honored that David Van Alphen asked me to create the artwork for it. It's 16x20 enamel, aluminum powder and glitter on stretched canvas:

Thanks for looking!

Nice job Sammy!
That thing must shine and sparkle more than Olivia Newton John in Xanadu!
Bravo!!! This is gona be one fun show!!!

Thanks, little lost tiki. I listened to my ELO box set the entire time I was painting it! :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies