Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thanks frostiki! You're not far off with that sweatshop kids idea. My 2 kids (they are 3 and 7) often want to help on these, so I let them fill in a little space on large blocks of color or on the edge of the canvas. Then, I indicate that they helped by adding their age at the end my signature. By looking at the age and year, I can tell if my son or daughter helped. For example, my daughter helped on the Von Dutch piece, and my son helped on Link Wray, Bongo Shack, and The Bowling Swami.

Thanks too Jeff Central! I will be offering the original and possible prints of the Korla Pandit piece - the original in a show scheduled for May. The exact date has not been confirmed yet, but I let you know by email or pm if you like.... Thanks again!

Here's a new piece, "The Potentate", for Brad Benedict's SIDESHOW, "Moods for Moderns" at Robert Berman Gallery April 5th - April 26th, 2008 in Santa Monica. There's a little gold leaf on that fez....

Thanks for looking!

LURCH!!! That look on his face is perfectly expressive. Another great piece!

does it say "U-RANG" on his fez?
:lol:
Lurch was always my favorite after Uncle Fester!
Wonder if he was on Ritalin or prozac?
"the potentate"
Great piece with a great title!

Thanks so much, TIKI KAIMUKI and Ken -

Hey Ken- You caught the "URANG"! Yes, that was a subtle nod to Lurch himself! I really do like Fester too with that lightbulb and all... He's good future subject matter!

very cool, Sam. excellent piece!

Nice work Sam!

I just saw this on your web site: http://www.samgambino.com/index.html

wow, ya know I have send a PM off to you ...

Thanks so much, greentikipat and Kelly! Kelly- I hope all is going well! I'd love to make it there for the show, but will be "stuck inside of Mobile with the..." I can't wait to get back to SoCal though!

Here's a new commission piece, "The 3D Seer". I'm digging swamis as of late!

Thanks for looking!

Sam, you really have something great going on with this style and you are pushing them out at a rate of Knots, it shows you must be enjoying it, keep up the good work

3-D Seer is KICKS man!
Is that Karloff?
Lovin how the type and characters are
each a necessary part of the piece!
and I'm a total sucker for ol skool 3-D type!
GO! GO! GO SAM!

Thanks a lot for the comps, cheekytiki and Ken-

Cheekytiki- Yes, I am enjoying these... It seems like the ones I enjoy the most, end up being the ones I'm most pleased with. HHHmmmmmmmmm..... Thanks again!

Hey Ken- Yes, that is Karloff. I can't pull one over on you. :wink: That's him in all his 3D-viewing glory. Thanks again too!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-03-24 23:05 ]

Wonderful new pieces Sam. I especially like the way you treated Lurch's fez. Will Thing be ,aking an appearance soon?

Thanks Raffer! He may be, now that you mention it.... Fester too!

Fester in a Fez?

The 3D Karlof swami is WAY COOL!

Thanks a bunch Brad! It was a fun one to paint.

SAM - U da best! I like the Karlof Swami more and more.
Fester in a Fez! It seems like such a natural image, but I don't think he ever appeared in the show wearing one.

Thing I love about your current work is the mix of tiki lounge and universal monster pop icons. Love it, love it, love it!

Thanks a bunch Brad! Also, it would only be fitting to paint Fester sporting a fez - along with the lightbulb! :) Thanks for the kind words about the subject matter as well!

Here's the newest... a painting with subject matter that I've wanted to tackle for quite a while!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-03-29 22:33 ]

Love the Rat Pack in orbit, Sam!!!
That Dino portrait is amazing. Love the retro stars - perfectly '60'. Would love to see this one in person some day! Was this one a commission?

All of your pieces are meticulous and inspiring to say the least. I don't comment on them all, but here in NH, you've always got me smiling ear to ear!
Jon M

Sam - rat pack in orbit is the BOMB!!! more rat pack stuff!!!

I like the musical legend series you got going on

prints? prints? prints?

Thanks so much, Jon! It's for my upcoming show at Harold Golen Gallery in Miami. I'm glad that you like it, and I appreciate the very kind words!

Thanks too, Polynesiac! Yes, I'll have prints. I'll pm you when they're ready... I appreciate the comps too!

B

Damn, I Kick myself for not coming over here more, Awesome stuff Sam, I Really love that Rat Pack, I grew up with those guys! Keep up the great work and hopefully I'll be back more often.

Hey Ben- Great to hear from you! Thank you for the comps. I need to visit "Carving" more too. Ever since the big division of Creating Tiki, I know I've missed out on some great carving.

Here's another new one - still with wet paint! Based on the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, called "Relapse". One neon sign was going to read "Fried Foods", but I thought I'd be good :wink: .

Boy...you are in a class of your own!!! The Rat Pack is kewl and that Body Snatcher is down-right scary. Amazing work Sam!!!

T

Love the body snatcher piece, totally nailed the expression. Great work, as always.

Very Kewl Sammy . Rat Packs my Fav

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 7:33 AM

Dang Sam, You are in a class on your own sir! These paintings are just spectacular! There is just no way that I can't pick a favorite. I love them all.

Fried Foods! :lol:
Lovin the Rat Pack-you nailed it on their likenesses!
but MAN! this Relapse one is GREAT!
Great tension going on between the neon and the sweaty glistening
terror-stricken face!
you do good art....
:)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 8:49 AM

Damn Sam!! The texture you got on the skin in this last painting is amazing. Fabulous stuff you're kicking out right now. Dude, you're on a roll!!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-04-01 08:50 ]

Sam, when are we gonna see you in SoCal again???

Wow! Thanks so much, Vampiress RN, tikiracer, tyger jimmy, Babalu, Ken, Grog and Soccer tiki! I really appreciate the comps and kind words! I was originally going to put the Disney castle in the background over his shoulder as a reference to the high cost of going to Disney World and the terrified look that can occupy one's face upon learning of the cost for a non-Florida resident (I know! We were just there in November!), but I figured that a "Lost Weekend"-style of drunken neon montage might turn out more interesting in the painting.

Hey Soccer Tiki, I can't wait to get back there. No plans to go as of yet, but I don't want to wait too long before visiting again. I had a great time with you guys!

F

Sam,

Man how did I let four pieces slide by without commenting on any of them. Love them all and I'm especially creeped out by the Body snatchers one. But in that morbid "I saw a fiery car wreck an can't look a way because the fire is really cool," sort of way. Keep them coming, I have to get to work on this weekend on being creative again, Mrs. Frostiki just posted a painting on here, reminding me that I am a slacker.

Damn Sam...you're art is so sweet!

Hey Frostiki and Deckhand Davy - Thanks so much! I really appreciate the kind words... Hey frostiki, I'll go take a look at your wife's painting. Meanwhile, you had better get the brushes... :)

Here's a new piece for my solo show at Harold Golen Gallery in Miami on May 10:

Thanks for looking!

Getting Warhol-ish on this one Sam, great pop -ART!
Nice!!!

Hey, thanks Sneakytiki- I'll accept that! I was shooting for a '60s mod fashion look, but Warhol is better in my opinion!

LOVE IT!
All I can say is that the Harold Golen Gallery in Miami is lucky to get a super cool artist like you showing there!

Sam!

Love the Nancy piece!

I love the mod style, and this piece nailed it.

I'd love to see you do a Twiggy one too.

F

Sam great piece, and considering Warhol got his start as a graphic designer/illustrator for fashion catalogs I'd say you accomplished both. If we get time, we may have to try to trek down to Miami when we are at the Hukilau to check out some of your stuff up close and personal. I'm still awed by the realism you get in your paintings

Sam...
do YOU ever sleep? :lol:
i gotta get my wife one of them Nancy Sinatra sweaters!
i wanna see a book of all these recent ones!!!

Thanks so much, Brad, Lake Surfer, frostiki and Ken! Such kind words from you guys.... come to think of it, maybe I'll get my wife one of those sweaters too.... No, maybe the boots!

Sweater AND boots, gotta go all out.

I'm in love.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 15, 2008 8:36 AM

NOW you're REALLY embracing the concept that SEX SELLS.

Sexcellent!!

You and Ruzic are just machines right now! And even with the quantity of work ya'll are doing right now, the quality has increased rather than diminished. How do you that?

Great stuff SamGam, keep it up.

Thanks so much, Flat Black and GROG!

Yes Grog- I'm getting the hang of it slowly but surely! :) Thanks for the nudging on the "sex sells" aspect! A quickly approaching deadline breathing down my neck helps me kick out more and more too. Thanks again for the kind words!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-04-16 00:55 ]

Always Cool stuff from you Sam! Mahalo for sharin, Aloha, Mooney

Thanks so much, MooneyTiki! I appreciate that!

Here's another one in enamel, based on Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies