Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Stellar!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch, Matt and Meheadhunter! Yes, Matt - I thought Rondo deserved a bit more exposure! :)

DANG SAM!
Bad Muther Fighting Society is Over the Top PERFECT!
You've been a painting machine lately!
How you pump them out so fast with such quality and detail is AMAZING!!!!
You are on ONE serious Painting Jag,my friend!
This little lost Swami sees many red dots and sales in your future!
Inspiring as always!

Thank you, Ken! I appreciate the kind words.... Yes, I'm praying that the red dots overtake my paintings like a horrible case of the chicken pox and a bad rash! Bring 'em on!!! :)

F

Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
SAM!
Ya damn right!

Who is the man that would risk his neck
For his brother man?
SAM!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?
SAM!
Right On!

They say this cat Sam is a bad mother
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I'm talkin' 'bout Sam.
THEN WE CAN DIG IT!

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
SAM GAMBINO!

great knew pieces Sam, keep spitting them out. I gotta get back to work on calendar stuff now,

Hey frostiki-

I love that! I have that song in my iTunes... It's a must-have! I also own the Shaft DVD - it's got like a double feature bonus Shaft's Big Score or something on it too.

Thanks for the kind words too! I went to Coffee Loft today. Do you ever visit there?

F

Hey Sam, I guess I forgot to tell you I'm actually not working in Fairhope anymore. I'm back on my side of the bay working out by USA. But when I was working in your part of town I went to Coffee Loft a couple times a week, since it was just a short walk out the door and across the parking lot.

Here are 2 new ones, both enamel on stretched canvas. Notice on the 1-eyed guy, the tiki print that his robe is available in.... Thanks for looking!

Wow, love both of those Sam.
Great idea with the sears catalog image.

Thanks a bunch Doug... I always value your opinion!

A Classic Fit!
Pleasing to the EYE indeed!
enamel on stretched canvas....
you and your enamel...No one else got the skills that you have with enamel....
especially the blending...awesome man! Keep it up!
Have you checked out those old Taschen "All American Ads of the 30's/40's/50's/60's/70's/and 80's" Books?
The 40's thru 60's ones i think you would really groove on!
i use mine at work at least a couple times a month...
They're about 40 bones apiece but well worth the investment!
They also have smaller versions -condensed ,but still full of good stuff....

Sam your work is out of this world. Totally cool stuff. I love the hot rod inspired work. I'm a huge fan of pinstripe work and the way you incorporate it into your paintings is very rad.

F

Groovy bongos, Sam. If LLT hadn't mentioned the ads of the decades books I was going to bring it up, the first painting with the Cyclops reminded me of them. Great stuff keep 'em coming

Thanks so much for the encouraging comps, llt, Flat Black and frostiki!

Ken- I do have those books of the 50's, 60's and 70's - they are all 3 compiled by Ed Jim Heimann, who does a lot of the Taschen books, but two of them are published by Barnes and Noble. I got them as extra birthday presents last year, and they are worth their weight in gold! You are right - they are great reference books. By the way, below is a whiskey-drinking werewolf that I painted with the help of your excellent werewolf reference pics you sent. Thanks again to you! You're a great friend and artist yourself.

Hey Flat Black- Thanks a bunch! It's been a little while since I've put striping into a painting, but I've been debating on doing something with Billy Gibbons in it, and if so, I have to put striping on that one! I'm glad that you like it. Thanks again for the kind words.

Hey frostiki- Thanks too for the comps. I do need to get my hands on at least the 1940's version of those books. Elements from that cyclops painting were inspired by that 50's book, so you were right on with that. Thanks again!

Here's the wolf painting:

The wolf is great.

Another big thumbs up from this guy.

Ladies and gents...
We have another WINNER! :)
Great reflections in the glass!
If only i had a tie that matched with my whiskey....
Being a Bushmills and Coke man,this one brought a smile!
Yes you DO need to get that 40's one!
40's-60's is the Best 20 years of American Design!
Stoked those Wolfy shots helped!
Anytime you're short on reference,shoot me a PM!
it's a MUTUAL INSPIRATION PACT! :)

Thanks so much, Flat Black and Ken! I appreciate the very kind words.

Ken- I'm going to look up that '40s book... If you say it's essential, then it has to be! I'm sure I would've ended up with it if it would've been in stock when I got the others. I'll pay amazon a visit. I wonder if there are any swamis in that book??? :)

That feller needs a full body waxing! Fun stuff Sam. - Hodaddy

Thanks Hodaddy! Yes, he does need a waxing....

Sweet! Coolest thing about the werewolf painting is the look in his blue eyes... drunk, yes, but still with those wolfish thoughts going on in there!
Bad doggy! Bad!

Thanks Brad! My little girl said that he was kind of cute! Now I feel better knowing that he's a DRUNKEN, pretty-boy werewolf! :wink: I'm glad that you chimed in because I would've been bumming if he was only a pretty boy.... :)

Very Nice.....He is kind of "cute" but in a sinister way!!! He has that tempting or alluring look to him....the ladies must go crazy over him as he walks by!!!

Thanks a ton, Meheadhunter! I feel even better now that he looks a little sinister... As long as he doesn't look like a "Donny Osmond" werewolf!!

Here's a new one for the next Sideshow at Robert Berman... I couldn't resist another pig doctor. This time, it's an insecure, sugar-daddy pig-playboy inspired by an old pulp novel. He also ended up with a Jerry Stiller-style forehead and hairstyle:

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2008-02-28 23:44 ]

F

Sam, do you have a house full of little sweatshop children working for you? You've been cranking out great paintings by the truck load as of late. We love the werewolf and the pigman paintings they look like they could be Johnny walker and Dewar's ads from the 50s and 60s. keep cranking out the great stuff.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 29, 2008 7:27 PM

NOW you're getting it. SEX SELLS! Excellent stuff Sam-Gam. GROG like.

MR

The look on the guys face is perfect. It brought a smile to my day. Good stuff.
Cheers.

Thanks a bunch, frostiki, Grog, and Matt!

Hey frostiki- Thanks! That's the exact look I was shooting for!

Hey Grog- See? Your "adjustments" to some of my past art have not been in vain!

Hey Matt- I appreciate you saying that, because I try to weave a little humor into each piece - even if it's very subtle.

YEAH SAM!
you're in SUPERHUMAN mode!
You're like the goose that laid the Golden Eggs!
One after the other,and they're all great and with such of variety of pallettes and moods and subject matter! What a legacy so far! And you've still got years and years more of great pieces!
Stoked.....
the dramatic lighting on pig doctor playboy really heightens his longing by splitting the canvas,thus separating him from his true love.....
What else is cool about this piece is that it is so well-balanced,even down to the slate blue signature!
Stoked....
go go GAMBINO!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
and attain a Longer Life, Fuller Hair,and Bigger Boards!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-03-05 14:58 ]

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 2:51 PM

PIG MAN!!!!! pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pipigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman pigman gman pigman

i am enjoying the pigman

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 2:54 PM

classic stuff...although i dont know if i would go so far as to call the effort "SUREHUMAN", as lil lost tiki does. I'm not even sure what that means.

Not so much 'lowbrow' as 'unibrow' art
http://www.bigtoeart.com
http://www.myspace.com/tom_laura

[ Edited by: BigToe 2008-03-05 14:57 ]

Thanks so much for the kind words, Ken and Big Toe!

Ken- the way you turn out your quality work, there HAS to be at least 36 hours in the average Ken Ruzic day. Nice mustachio too...... :)

Hey Big Toe- Yes, the Pigman does rule. He has gotten little recognition in the past 48 years, but I feel that now is the time that the pigman reaps his just reward - it's way overdue. I personally feel compelled to give him an "approving" nod by honoring him with quality art pieces which feature his likeness in nothing less than a flattering light.

Is the piece superhuman? That is in the eye of the beholder........

Enough rambling.....Thanks again for the kind comp!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-03-05 21:29 ]

Sam - I love coming back to your thread and admiring your work. Absolutely amazing stuff.

pigman rocks. hardcore.

Thanks, Polynesiac- It's always great to hear from you!

Here's a new painting of Korla Pandit, lounge organist from the '50's - gold leaf on board. Thanks for looking!

H

ZOWZA!--The Korla Pandit has a superb exotic vibe going on. I'm HYPNOTIZED for sure! My new favorite. Always been a fan of the Pig Doc too, since back when I first saw him/it on Twilight Zone many moons ago when I was a 'youngin' (one of the most memorable episodes for me)---it was Twilight Zone, wasn't it? Always great stuff from you--really dig your choice of colors for that old school vibe.

Dreamy!

Really effective, and powerful! My new favorite too!

I think Pig guy was on Outer Limits.... right?

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-03-08 20:24 ]

Thanks a bunch, Howland and Brad!

The pigman is from what I feel is one of the most creative and haunting Twilight Zones called "The Eye of the Beholder". The Outer Limits was great too - there were some great monsters and freaks in that too. For some reason, those aren't as often shown like the Twilight Zones are. I'd like to get some of those episodes too - I know that there is a wealth of great art subjects in that series as well..... Thanks again for the kind words!

Very nice old school technicolor intro vibe!
also reminds me of some of the old Bollywood hand-painted fonts!
There's always some type of mystery in these pieces,almost as much as the sly humor!
Korla Pandit will now achieve his immortality thru art!
Your post has become a weekly obsession! :lol:
keep the pace,man! :lol:

Thanks Ken! I feel that Korla Pandit should be the subject of more art pieces, etc. He was one of a kind as far as mystique and music go. I gotta get to the next painting now... :) Thanks again!

Aloha Sam!!! Once again more amazing art! thanks for sharin, Aloha, Mooney

Thanks much, Mooney!

GT

Sam your work is awesome! Mahalo! Gogo

Thanks, Gogo! That means a lot coming from you.

I could stare at your work all day! You do things with enamel that I could only dream of doing with graphite or watercolor...I'll defintely be buying some prints from you in the near future. Love the Ed Roth stuff especially!

Thanks so much for the kind words, kahalakruzer. If you can work with watercolors, my hat's off to you! I've messed with ink washes, but it didn't come very easy to me. Though the results may have been passable, they weren't at all what I had hoped for. You watercolor guys amaze me.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-03-16 19:17 ]

I'm calling the INS for the sweat shop children you have cranking this stuff out. You are a machine lately keep it up, and send one of your sweat shop kids my way, I need some help.

On 2008-03-08 19:12, Sam Gambino wrote:
Here's a new painting of Korla Pandit, lounge organist from the '50's - gold leaf on board. Thanks for looking!

The Korla Pandit picture looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! :)

Are you selling prints of this? Original?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies