Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Excellent work on the Tiki garden Sam!
Love the loose dripping brush work.
Hey, my missus got me a couple of mugs recently
and I turned them over and there you are!
Killer stuff!

Thanks so much for the kind words, kahala kruzer and Iokona Ki'i! I appreciate the comps!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Apr 17, 2009 9:06 PM

Looks great Sam, and that finger is awesome! :D

Thanks so much hewey! I hope all is going well. Great to hear from you!

My little boy who's 5 wanted me to carve a finger pendant for him, so here it is. I carved it from a tree twig, and used the natural bend of the twig to represent the bend of the knuckle. It's more of a petite finger than the last one, but hopefully just as creepy. Thanks for looking!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-04-26 19:12 ]

Very cool Sam!

Thanks so much for the comp, Iokona Ki'i!

In keeping with my tradition of painting old dead guys, here's a new commission painting inspired by the ultra cool work of Lou Brooks....

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 30, 2009 10:30 PM

"I know nossing! Nossing!!"

K

Bob Crane

Hey yes! Bob Crane - star of such great films as "Super Dad" and "Gus"... An interesting painting to research, but very depressing.

T

Hey Sam, I always like your art! The new Twilight at Tiki Gardens is awesome!! If someone said to me that it used to hang up in Trader Franks back in the day, I would believe it!! After you said the style is based on the album it sure jumped out at me! The Tiki's, style and colors are perfect.
Very original and very well done!!

The carved fingers are very cool too. Quite detailed.
Keep em coming!!

TabooDan

Love the new painting. It reminded me of the Elvis song Saved... "I used to smoke, drink and dance the hoochie koo" or the even better line, "I used to cuss, fuss and boogie all night long!" Regardless of what Elvis said, your thread is one of my favorite's to look at...keep it up!

Sam, you sick freak...I love it! I was just writing a song with a lyric about Bob Crane! You are my brother from another mother! Excellent as usual

Thanks SO much for the very kind words, TabooDan, kahalakruzer and suburbanpagan! I really do appreciate comps like that...

TabooDan, I love to hear that my art looks vintage, because that's what I'm always shooting for... Thanks again!

Hey kahalakruzer- Elvis is one dead guy I haven't painted yet. Thanks for the idea... :)

Hey suburbanpagan, a lyric about Bob Crane??? I gotta hear that! :) Maybe Bob is speaking to us artists from the grave....

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-05-03 22:20 ]

Hakalugi's Finger #3 is in the can! I tied 2 feathers to it from my 13 year old Nanday Conure named Curly. I Sharpie-numbered the "bone" on the back with "G3". That one's redwood again. It carves just like buttah! Thanks for looking!

Z

Once again you have impressed-no, amazed- me with your skills. I'll just stand over here and ogle your work some more.

~Zero

Thanks very much for the kind words, ZeroTiki! Oogle away! I really appreciate that.... :wink:

M

Thank goodness they are paying you for it.

Else you would be "giving them the finger" :)

are you makin a weird Frankenstein Pinocchio
from all these parts,Sam?

Dang! they get bettah and bettah each one!
Maybe you gots that duo-talent thingie with painting and carving!

..don't go pointing that at people, sam...there's a nail in it!!

L

I have no clue how I missed this whole thread of all your work Sam. I spent a good amount of time on your website as well and I have to say that you are now one of my favorite artists. Everything you do is so...swanky for lack of a better word!

Those finger pendants are simple but so well executed .

Great stuff and can't wait to see what new art you create next.

Thanks Tipsy! I'll be careful while wielding that nail embedded finger! :wink:

Hey leleliz- thanks so much for the kind words! They mean a lot to me as an artist!

Hey....I haven't been around for for awhile....Just had to drop in and say...you're work still kicks booty...Keep it up!!

Thanks so much, Meheadhunter! Have a great week to ya!

B

Hey Sam,

Those fingers are mondo eerie! They have a coolness factor that is over the top. I keep thinking they should be hollowed out with a stopper on the end so they can hold some kind of trippy magic ju ju potion :)

It's great to see you fooling with 3D...keep pointing the way.

Thanks so much Babalu! I enjoy carving dem crazy fingas!

Here are a couple of guitars of mine which I striped recently. I thought I'd go ahead and post them with the rest of my stuff... Thanks for looking!

L

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam...nice striping! WHat are you ..like the bionic artist?

Thank you, leleliz! I appreciate the kind words. However, Ken Ruzic is the bionic artist!

Awesome job on the guitars Sam! Your talent and varied skills never
ceases to amaze! You and Ken might have to share that title.

Every time I see your work, I think that it has to be the best thing you've done--and you keep proving me wrong!!

These are incredible, Sam...I can't stress the 'incredible' part enough!

I am toasting your skills with a giant Maitai in my Mort mug right... about...

Now!

Cheers,
~Zero

Thanks soo much ZeroTiki. I really appreciate the kind words. Mort does too! :)

Pinstriping IS hard!
Every tremble of your hand
shows up!
i haven't seen too much GREAT pinstriping
(maybe that Mr. G Tiki on Holden's car)
but these take the cake!
You are the KING!
:)

Very kool Sam I didnt know you striped , , the old one Shot ROCKS . the one shop me and my freind had he did all that pinstripin letterin and airbrush . God remenber the binks Wren airbrush . many moons ago for me .

Very nice Sam.....Very clean lines and tasteful use of color...Lookin Good!!!!

Thanks so much Ken! Just get some 1-Shot and try it out! You'd do fine!

Thanks too Jymmy! Great to learn of another 1-Shot slinger! I never really had too much experience with the airbrush. I think I tried it once or twice. Never really picked up on it too well though. Thanks again!

Thanks so much Meheadhunter! I really appreciate the kind comps!

Yea I still use it on all kinds of stuff . it covers very well too . verses the Acrylics .

Here are a few abstracts from a little while back that I never posted on my site until now. The last one is my least favorite, but hopefully, someone might find them interesting - they were fun to do. All are on masonite....Thanks for looking!

Frequency:

Reverse:

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-05-14 22:57 ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrNbCpJ1Fg

I just saw this Scrubs cut, and heard that they used a KC Hawaii tiki on the show.

Although neither is the one featured in the Scrubs episode, I think that now is a good time to say.... I designed these tikis last year for KC Hawaii:

They wanted the multiple painted colors and had a definite style that they were looking for. Although they are very different from my usual style of tiki design, I had fun designing these - especially the barrel-headed second tiki. Now I wish they had used one of my designs for the Scrubs episode!

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2009-05-15 11:28 ]

L

WOW! Your abstracts speak to me, especially this:

Frequency:

are you also fan of Pollock?

J.

Thanks so much laojia! Yes, I'm a fan of Pollack's although my stuff is not nearly that large in size. I guess it could be though! These are fun to do, and I'll probably do more soon.

yea the Abstracts are very nice Dude , can see those in a Gallery for sure .

Great job on the tikis for KC Hawaii.
Me likey the abstracts too, especially
the last one.

Thanks so much, Jymmy and Iokona Ki'i!

i like how on "Reverse" you can see some tight stripin down the left side...
These are great,Sam!
except the last one...Too representational,Not that i hate it,but i hear you
when you say it's your least fave...
i like em when the moodand the depth,and the interplay of shapes all merge together
with just a hint of line to suggest an object
But hey!
About every 10-15th piece pops up as a dud,i've found...
that's just a way to keep us artists in check!

Diggen all those KC Tikis you designed...
sorry about the Scrubs...:(

Onward and Upward,Sam!
:)

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 16, 2009 9:15 AM

Doesn't look like Bob Crane at all. Nice try, though.

it's Bob Crane after GROG sit on him...

Thanks Ken and GROG! I always appreciate you guys adding kind words or a comment!

Hey Ken- you just echoed my thoughts on that piece. I think if I had taken it further - maybe more colors and more intensity - it may be an improvement. Hey, we think alike!

Hey GROG- Just wait for my Richard Dawson painting.... it may look more like him!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies