Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

F

hot stuff sam I always like th twisted side of tiki... I feel thats how it was intended.

I am trippin on the Trypnotiki. The one thing I always like is the stripping on your works.
Is this oneshot or computer?

Very cool!!

I love his teeth! I always like your work; so clean and packed full of personality.

T

That is what I am talking about, great work. Love the teeth

B

Sam, you talk about me outdoing myself, LOOK AT YOU! Trypnotiki is absolutely Unbelievable. Where do you keep getting these spurts from, it's friggin Awesome.
Whats nexs???

Thank you, flacookz, rodeotiki, finkdaddy, Thanatos and Ben! I really appreciate the kind feedback - it's what inspires me to want to do more.

Hey rodeotiki, this is 1-Shot on canvas - my favorite combination.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 19, 2005 8:52 PM

Sam - thats a freaky looking tiki! It would always be looking at you - kind creapy. Nice work, I'm just gald i'm not paranoid!

Sam, this one need a Orthodontist and an Optometrist, but I like him! And I know who's getting him too. A most excellent and tryp-y painting.

Aaron

Thanks, hewey and AA. I meant for him to inherit all of the bad genes as compared to his brother.

Avast! My rum soaked mind thought I was looking at hypno and seeing triple! Cool tiki!!

YEOW! It's the tiki version of that fish from the simpsons! sam - love the stuff you're working on lately...more stuff for gecko?!?!? COOL!!!!

Totally dig your style...daddy-o!

Thanks for chimin' in Capt. Skully and Polynesiac. Your kind words are appreciated!

Yee-Haw! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

I hope that more Australians artists are checking out your site to get inspiration. I think your stuff is really great. Do you have anything to do with the Rockabilly/Kustom culture scene over there?

d-a-a-a-n-n-n-g! ripping, as usual!

That is one ugly tiki, but in a good kind of way. He kind of reminds me of the big evil brother from The Goonies.

Thanks, Poly Pop, marcus, suburbanpagan and Raffertiki. Ugly is good in some cases! :)

Marcus, I can say that I really appreciate the Rockabilly/Hot Rod scene here, and lots of my art reflects that. My father was one of the original Detroit pinstripers in 1956, so I grew up watching him work. In a sense, I try to contribute somewhat to the art form by incorporating it into my art pieces.

http://www.samgambino.com

So your a decendant of a striper - very cool- some of my closests friends are into striping - and I am a lone carver in our little Low brow art scene. Do you go to Viva in Vegas? I am planning a trip over there for Viva and the Tiki Oasis next year. It would be great to meet up with some tiki enthusiasts over there.

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn on 2005-06-23 01:30 ]

Sam, is there any chance you'd talk to me about your printing process? I have a whole stack of tiki stuff here that I'm trying to figure out what to do with...I don't really want to even stick it on ebay (last year I did a series about "psycho kitty" and within a month there was very "similar" stuff all over ebay...) I'm hoping to hit a gallery with this newer work (another thing I have no clue about, and am trying to decipher the process)I figured if I invested in a good printer, at least I still have the originals to submit. Thanks in advance....your work is terrific!

Also, if anyone knows the process of moving from just being on ebay to actually hitting the galleries, and want to shed some light, I'd be so grateful!!

I'll shoot some of the newest work and post it soon...

Hey Marcus - I've been to Vegas, but unfortunately not for a tiki function. I'm due to go back though. Not sure at this time whether I'll make Viva Vegas yet, but it would be great to meet up with you and any other TC'ers..

Hey 4crows, thanks too for the comps. We'd love to see your work...Post it!! :) I'm sending you a pm....

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-23 21:48 ]

Here's the latest commissioned ink Shrunken tiki... he ended up looking a little like Churchill when I finished. It's 8x10 ink on bristol plate...

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-26 08:12 ]

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-28 23:34 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2005 6:01 AM

cool - maybe you could do shrunken head portraits of other TCers!

Love the hot rod influence in your tiki art too.

B

Sam, He's for sure a Gnarley lookin' old bloke. With his mouth sewn shut it seems he may have been silenced from talking too much. I Really love this one Sam. The eyes say it all. poor devil.

Thanks for the comps, hewey and Ben...he did turn out to be quite a curmudgeony-looking character..

man,those are some jucy lips to be sewn up. I would have liked to see what this guy looked like before he was....shrunk.

Very cool art, sam. YOu give your subjects a ton of character

Thank much, Polynesiac - he was fun to draw - juicy lips, scowl and all. :)

Here's the latest- it's enamel and bronze powder on stretched canvas for all you space age freaks...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2005 5:15 AM

Cool pic and LOVE that text. Well done

agree with hewey...your text is always really cool....nice design...love it!

B

Really love it Sam. Is the tiki Growling and DeManding that you Relax or else? He looks Awfully Angry in a relaxed sort of way. like he is comfortable with it and you better get used to it or else! Sam, how do you keep coming up with these delights? You have a Bottomless well it seems. Thanks.

I think Sam is a robot. I mean really, How else would he put out such cool works so fast.

Sam , How about doing a coffee table book of all you works ? I would buy a couple for sure!!!

Thanks for the kind words, hewey, congatiki, Benzart and rodeotiki. I've been wanting to do a space tiki - themed painting for a while. I styled it also after the artwork on some of those old 1950's space novels. Hey Ben, I guess he does have that overly confident, "don't-mess-with-me" attitude. :) I could go for having a coffee table book too... thanks for the idea, rodeotiki!

Sam, that's awesome!
Totally love him. Nice work.
-Tw

T

Sam, I got to say something cause three pictures have got bye me since I was away at camp. Its always cool to see what you are going to do with your James Bond Tiki but I like that stuff like TRypno.

So how many eyes does that one have so we will know when someone does the 3d verison of him. And I would guess its goatee all the way around, if four eyes.

I got a question so I will PM you.

Very, very cool Sam! Your work is so distinctive. I could be shown one of your pieces anywhere at anytime and I could easily say, "That is a Sam Gambino!" A coffee table book of your work would be priceless, you must do it!

Sam, I'm thinking, "Another one! He must have quit his day job." And another killer one, at that.

Thanks so much Tikiwahine, teaKEY, finkdaddy and Raffertiki. I really appreciate your feedback!

Hey teaKEY, Trypno is a 3-eyed, walleyed monster with the one goatee. Now that you say that, a tiki with eyes all the way around would be interesting! Maybe the uglier cousin could have that trait... Hmmmmm...

Hey finkdaddy. Thanks for the coffeetable book vote! One issue is that most earlier paintings which I've sold weren't photographed professionally, but I have been having later ones done.

Hey Raffertiki, I'm still plugging away at the day gig, but working on paintings until the wee hours. My painting time is the most enjoyable for me.. I listen to that good old AM radio with Dino, Frank and Nat King Cole - sure, I have to suffer through the Carpenters or Dionne Warwick now and then, but no one said that life would be without trials :)

Love it!
I immediately thought of the Encounter restaurant at LAX.
Great piece!

Tiki Room meets Tomorrowland! Your tikis are a 10 on the amusement scale, Sam. Mahalo!

Aaron

Thanks, Slacks and AA. It means a lot to me to get these comps from you guys!

H

Love the idea of a coffee table book! Not enough art you say? Make some more I say! haha :)

Nice work Sam - I am running out to buy a new coffee table - need space for the book - skulls are good..we have friendly, not the fear in your heart type skulls down under too...freaky little friendly like skulls.ok be back soon....mmm coffee table round, no square, no...um must be wood ah ha tiki table - damn better get carving tools out.

Thanks, hewey and marcus. Sounds like great advice,...and a great coffee table! :)

Sweet, Sam! the Orbit Room art reminds me of Cocoa Beach in the 60's. very nostalgic.

Thanks, Palama Tiki. I'm glad that it evokes some memories.... Hopefully good ones!

Not a tiki painting, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it in my art thread here. It's the new gold leaf and enamel painting for the Dionysus Show at MModern Gallery.

B

Yo Sam, ANOTHER One already??? If you didn't quit the day job then you seriously cut back the hours,,,Unless,,, No, Wait//Could your NEW Day job be painting All DAY?? Fesss up Sam.
Seriously this guy is another Great Gambino offering, tiki or not I Love it.
Put me down for your Coffee Table book too.
Maybe we need a TC Art coffee table book, now That would be wild . Put me down for one of those too.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 4, 2005 10:34 PM

Not a tiki, but an unmistakable Gambino masterpiece non the less. Awesome art.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies