Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thanks so much, MooneyTiki! I appreciate that!

Here's another one in enamel, based on Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians....

HA! this ones super cool very funny too I love the nuance of wolf's conducting his transilvanians!

F

Sam, great work. BTW what does a refined werewolf, like Wolf Waring, conducting an orchestra sound like?

visit us at http://www.frostiki.com

[ Edited by: frostiki 2008-04-17 13:44 ]

WEREWOOFS!
Always love your Wolfman paintings,Sam!
and this one has a nice light happy feeling to it!
you've made Werewolves an actual art genre!
Congrats!
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That is the most! Wolfman conducting music who would of thunk. I really like the way you coalesce different icons and genres give them some Gambinoization and come up with a style all it own. Creepy yet soothing, Arrooo to you my good man.

Man, you are on a roll of great work!

Another knock out.

Thanks so much for the comps, Sophista-tiki, frostiki, Ken, Chongo and Flat Black! I really appreciate the kind words, as I know that the Choir-director Werewolf is a very acquired taste as art! I'm sure though, that his choral group of werewolves is spot-on with their harmonies and timing; the baritones are rich, while the tenors sing with a range that is comparable only to that of angels.... :wink:

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-04-17 21:50 ]

Here's a new one for my solo show at Harold Golen Gallery in Miami on May 10. It's based on the old magician posters of the 20's - 30's. Thanks for looking!

your work is so amazing! master of painting and typography...insane.

[ Edited by: hala_kahiki 2008-04-18 20:48 ]

Thanks so much, hala_kahiki!

Dig! Very cool! looks like an old horror mag! Love it!

Thanks Sneakytiki! That's the look I was trying to portray here. I appreciate the comp!

F

Sam, love how his head has the pulp print look going on, very cool.

friggin Hypnotizin!
lovin the old school magic poste rlook...
Dover has a great book with color pages in the middle!
Cheap!
Love the colors on this and the Svengali/Rasputin -like gaze!

where can i get some of them head lightnin bolts?

Thank you, frostiki and Ken!

Ken, you can take those "power" bolts right off the canvas... Hey anything that inspires you, go for it.... Heaven knows you've helped to inspire my stuff!

Here is "The Summit Meeting", commemorating the legendary Cellar Lounge at The Caliente Tropics in Palm Springs. I watched the original Oceans 11 trailer a few times before painting this one.... Thanks Rory!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-04-27 21:49 ]

T

I like the mug sitting on the table :D

I'm gonna keep this simple: please tell me you have a book of your work coming out soon because there is a spot reserved for it in my library.

The depth and variety of your work really stands out.

Robb said it all!
From the background plywood/wood walls to the little spotlights on the ceiling
to the table's ashtray and hotel key....
and their faces are a perfect blend of caricature and Gambinoism...
and their little baby hands crack me up!
Always a joy to see what you got's cookin Sam!

Thanks so much for the comps, TeaKey, Robb and Ken! Robb, I have to start pushing this stuff to book publishers, because I hear quite a bit about possibly getting into a book..... It's just that lately, I've been painting so much, I haven't had time to do much else! Thanks for the vote though....

F

Sam, the rat pack at the cellars is great, how do you get your type so clean? Actually how do you get all of it so clean, if I didn't know better I would say this one was done in illustrator. Simply amazing.

Wow Sam - this one is spot on perfect. I'd looooove to get me a print of this one. Think you might produce em? Please

Sam, this one is definitely one of your better pieces. I dig the "environment" thing. The whole room, and all it's details. Your characters are always first rate, but now they have this cool Gambinoy tiki "world" they are cavorting in. Very cool! My new favorite!

Thanks so much frostiki, jpmartdog and Brad! I appreciate the comps!

Frostiki - I just relax, put on some music and fire up the 1-Shot. I've also been practicing lettering for 22 years so I believe you can do just about anything well with that much practice! Thanks again!

Jpmartdog- I'll be selling prints which may be ready next week. However, there are only 15 signed/numbered small "artist proof-type" prints - only 15 - which Rory (Wildsville Man) will have at Tiki Caliente. See him for those very limited "off-the-cuff" editions (I even used my own limited photography skills to make those!).

Brad- I wasn't sure just what the place looked like so I had to improvise. I did enjoy dreaming up the surroundings though. I normally model the pieces after ads which are more in your face with the subject and lettering. This was fun though for a change. Thanks again too.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2008 10:32 PM

Good stuff Samgam. Caricatures aren't easy, but you nailed 'em.

Thank you, GROG. Yes, one thing's for sure - I didn't want them to end up looking like Nipsy Russell, Charles Nelson Reilly and Larry Storch! :)

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-04-30 12:43 ]

LOL! :D
Sam! sent you some cash via paypal!

Amazing!! Simply Amazing!!

Sam you totally captured the Palm Springs vibe. I should know I was born and raised here (I could tell you stories about those days here in PS).

You have a real gift!! keep up the good work!!

Mahalo, Dirk

Be sure to get in on the Greatest Tiki Event of the Year. Come to sunny Palm Springs and see my work at The Tiki Caliente event May 9-11 at the Caliente Tropics.

Come check it out!!!

[ Edited by: Dirk Yates 2008-04-30 17:08 ]

Thanks so much, jpmartdog and dirk! Your comps are very much appreciated!

Sam,
sooooooo you're going to do another version with Nipsy Russell, Charles Nelson Reilly and Larry Storch?! Oh, er ... never mind. (I gotta read these threads more carefully!) :)

Hey Brad - I may even try to work Buddy Hackett in there.... :wink:

Sam, you amaze me. I love "the cellar" it's a great cartoony advertisement. In my mind, you do the rat pack great justice with your take on them.

Nipsy Russell, Charles Nelson Reilly, Larry Storch, Buddy Hackett,and Don Knotts!
Now that would be an incredible painting!
Looking forward to seeing some more of your work in person at the mModern!

Aloha Sam!!!

More Amazing art from an amazing artist!Mahalo for sharin , Aloha Mooney

Thanks so much, Polynesiac, Ken and MooneyTiki!

Polynesiac- I take that as a great compliment, as I think those guys are the very definition of what cool is. There are many ways to paint them, but I was shooting for a little humorous look, but swanky as well. I really appreciate the kind words - kind of helps me to feel like I "treated" them right!

Ken- How could I forget Don Knotts???? Of course I may have to work Ruth Buzzi in there too! As for M Modern, I'm cheating a little. I'm sending the original Sam's Seafood Mug Party painting complete with the wrong date - when I painted it, it was supposed to be July 27, 2007... It ended up being August 7 or 6.

Hey MooneyTiki - I appreciate your kind comp as well! I revisited the cartoony look for that, and I'm glad that you like it...

Just a post to tell any South Florida TCers that I have a ton of art at Harold Golen Gallery in Miami opening this weekend, May 10 with Sunny Buick. It's called "Hipster's Holiday".

...and, here's my KISS the Canvas show painting at Kustom Kulture Gallery in Baldwin, NY:

I couldn't resist another Twilight Zone reference.....

Here are some of the pieces at Golen (I've posted them here as I painted them, but here they are in one neat package!) Thanks for looking...

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-05-07 22:16 ]

By the way, KISS the canvas is this weekend too!

Sam, It's nice to see a bunch of your work all together. You REALLY do need to have a book of your work printed up.

AMEN to that!
Great Collection!
You've been running on Nitro this whole year!
That KIZZ piece is so RIGHT-ON!
Any other artist would shrink at mixing such unlikely elements
but you just NAIL IT!!!!
great work as always!
Still waiting for that Don Knotts painting....
How bout Paul Lynde?

T

Wow, amazing recent work! Love the lettering with images!

Thanks so much, Tiki Kaimuki, Ken and Tiki Tony! I always appreciate the very kind words. I was finally contacted about getting my work into a large collection book just this week, and it's supposed to happen. It's not all my work exclusively, but a collection of artists.

Hey Ken, I need to do Paul Lynde! How could I forget - and there were other majestic notables like Rip Taylor, Charro and JoAnne Worley.... hey George Goble!!!! He was a barrel of fun too! Remember Charlie Callas, Marty Allen and Avery Schreiber? Now I'm really digging at the bottom of the barrel! :)

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2008-05-08 19:58 ]

What about this fella?

Thanks for the great pic, Tiki Kaimuki..... That's our boy! :wink:

RH

This stuff rocks so hard, I've collected my painting supplies and my roll of unused velvet and am getting off here so's I can take it all down to the curb to be picked up tomorrow morning. Nice talkin' with y'all. Bye.

Thanks Robb! Don't do that! Wait - paint on them first, then drop them off in front of my house..... yeah, that's what you really need to do..... :)

Here are the Brady Bunch tikis (Vincent Price's big tiki friend on the left, the tiki at the cave entrance in the middle, and the "Cursed tiki idol" pendant on the right) done in a Leroy Nieman style with a Les Baxter layout (Ritual of the Savage). This is for the Fine Art Tiki Show at Harold Golen Gallery next weekend in Miami. It's 16x20 on canvas:

Thanks for looking!

Sam,great job on blending the Neiman and Savage album cover styles. I'm still waiting for the Charles Nelson Reilly painting!

Yeah, that fine art piece is top drawer!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies