Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

House of Buzz rocks!!!

Buzz!!!!!! You RULE!!! I'm ready for House of Buzz Part Deaux!

H

Buzzy, does this mean you will be going from carving wood to making home videos?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 11, 2007 7:18 AM

Future episode ideas?

The Buzzy Guide to Housekeeping
Page 46; or, the Universe Explained
Stain and Laundry; Why Bother?
Bachelor Living for Bachelors
The Rug and Where it Is
The Visit of Dan, or, Can I Get Drunk and Sleep on Your Couch Again Bud?
Logs or Gardens? Logs.
and of course
16 Essential Items to Living the Perfect Tiki Guy Lifestyle by Buzzy B. Buzznik, TCG

also, put the camera on your dog's head! Let's follow her around a bit!

B

Thanks Buzz...It was bitchin' to be a part of this launch...

We need to all give it up to new member "Professor Robot" and his damn fine editing skills....this kid navigates around his Mac in the same fashion that most of the rest of us blow out Birthday candles.

H

Cammeroni, you forgot "Come along exercise and get in shape with Buzzy".

Too funny, even TikiBarTv could learn a few things!

If you have not seen it yet:
Buzzy movie: Click here
I'll answer all your replys later this evening. Thank you for all of your support.

When someone points to my estate, I want him/her to say, "That's the **Tiki Guy's ** house".

Today's work:
It started with several repetitions of bamboo cutting:

Then I mounted the tiki to his final resting place:

After that, I put up one side of the new fence

and then the second of three sides:

From the street:

I want to drive somewhere so I can see what it looks like when I pull up. It won't look like my house to me for a while.

I'm going to go catch the sunset now.
Buzzy Out!

B

So Where's that Sunset? Tbe BuzzMaster is finally hitting the Big Time. Yay Buzzy, YAY BUZZY. I'm proud to be able to say "I Knew you when...".
Oh and i'm Loving your fence, corner post and all.

ST

Have you ever seen that show on HGTV "What's with that house?" You're one of those guys they would love to hear from.

Kiva's movie:Click here to see Kiva mow the lawn

Benzart: You stopped by for the sunset a little early today...

Still some Catalina smoke out there. Ash everywhere too

Buzzy Out!

killer work, Buzzy- awesome video, too. had to stop in to check up on you guys. i'm almost finished with my painting, and you've got me ready to hit the sharp tools again. thanks

Today's sunset:

Buzzy Out!

Is the hole for the "Lawn Mower?"

Killer Buzz TV!
I need to get some sound some how. My puter is deaf!

I'll bet the neighbors are already saying... "Oh my god! We have a Tiki-guy on our street!".

I'm busily working away at this moment, but I wanted to post yesterday's sunset before today's happened:

I was hoping Cammo would post his OkiDoki tiki to entertain you guys while I was playing with logs today. He brought it over this morning and it looks cool. Come on Cammo, help me out here, I need to go cut some logs and do not have time to post

I'll post more later, including some tiki work, as well as answer a few of youz guyz inquiries.
Bye Bye Now!
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, May 14, 2007 9:05 PM

Um, ah, well... sorry but there aren't any pics of it yet.

It may or may not be finished; should I keep working on it or not???? I'll ask the carving folk what they think tomorrow. We'll have a democratic vote. Everybody gets one vote, Buzzy's dog gets two.

Lousy SD sunset today:

Luckily, Tiki Kate donated a sunset today for all of us to enjoy.

"The beach at Lahaina" by Tiki Kate 2007

Thank you Tiki Kate.

Sunset fans do not worry, because the donations have been pouring in. Hopefully we will make it through the season...

Now back to Pre Tiki work:

I got a load of good looking ficus logs:

Now for Tiki work: I did a lot today, so I've got a lot of ground to cover quickly. Hang on

I stripped the fronds off these two logs first

Then I got one from stock and cut it roughly the same length

Next, I stripped all three completely. They all need to be 30". the black lineon them shows how much leeway I have in squaring them up.

I also prepared an older piece of ficus i had for my recreation project

Tonight I started my recreation project:

Informative part:
To square up my log when necessary, I match it to a line on my stand I know is true

Little drafting to guide me through the layout of the more complex headress I'm attempting

More tiki drafting and a little progress

More blurry progress

Full body shot:

Tonight's tribute final progress shots:

Everybody's favorite shot:

Where does the time go?
Buzzy Out!

HOK

On 2007-05-15 02:40, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Now for Tiki work: I did a lot today, so I've got a lot of ground to cover quickly. Hang on

Hey Buzzy, Is everything OK? Just blink twice if you can't talk...Blink, Blink...Looks like you're under the gun to create new Tikis....Is the shady looking Tiki the ring leader? Blink, Blink...I understand, I'll telepathically send a distress signal to Kiva, the Wonder Dog...Hang in there Buddy, help is on the way...A sunrise on the way to Vegas to distract the Brooding ring leader Tiki...
Freddie :tiki:

C

Oki Doki Pics.

This piece has been haunting Buzzy in one way or another for a really long time. He gave me the log, and advised on how to chop away big sections without a chainsaw (use a Japanese back-saw).

I started it just before the Oki Oki in October of 2006.

It's been to most of the Chop-Chops since then. The whole thing was mostly done with one 1" flat chisel, that was my basic rule. I'll never do that again.

I'm trying to do it really primitive.
The staining was done with reds and dark browns, then let bone dry, then sanded down at the edges to age the thing. Then I went over everything with that Zizznznster Amber Shellac, including the white face. Buzzy said it looks like cracked leather. It looks really weird.
Close to done now-

Going for big, blocky, cubist shapes.
He's going to be holding onto a surfboard table when I'm done.
Side View - looks like he's holding up the canoe -

Having fun with the face-

The eyes are little shells, glued into carved-out depressions -

The back - I like the back more than any other part. It's exactly the Primitive-chunky look I want.

But the hardest part to carve was those dang feet. Those sandals are lightly painted in thinned-down red enamel, then coated with that Amber Shellac. The thick sandal soles make a great base to stand it in, and give it a bizarro surfing Tiki look.

Cam Out (of his mind)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 15, 2007 2:00 PM

"Everybody's favorite shot:"

Yes Sir! Only....there are no feetz in them shooz? Sup wit dat? I always have feetz in the shooz! We need feets in the shoes.

On another note, are you planning to make any MONSTER tiki-guy pendants from those ficus logs? Like your skinny armed Ku perhaps? I hear they are all the rage since the release of the House of Buzz.

-Gman

okay...I know this is the Buzzy thread and I don't wanna get his pis@ed off....
but I really dig the Oki Doki....great job Cammo. Nice cubist primitive style
carving and finish.....love it.
Nice video too Buzzy.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 15, 2007 4:45 PM

Buzzy's the Lord Overseer Grampa Munster of the Oko Doki guy. It's his log, his stain, and his advice that made it happen.

Thanks Buzz & the Wonder Dog

HOK

Cammo, that face would make a nice mug :) Freddie

The little guy would make a great mug.

It should be.......

Oki

Dog !!!

Arrrrrrrrrr!!!

Was hot out here today!!!

Time for some AC!

H

OK, is there a Buzzzzzzzz in the house?

Hey all. Been working on a super big sign/sticker job that ended taking a day and a half, so I haven't felt like spending any more time on the computer. In addition, all I feel like doing is carving. Like someone flipped a switch and I cannot turn it off.

I'm ten posts, two emails, and a few Pms behind...

I'll knock out the updates parts of the posts, at least.

In between making a bunch of signs yesterday, I started the upper body of this guy:

a little closer

Next I blocked in the legs. I didn't want to carve through the knot in the log, so I put his on top of it.

I did a ton of evening out with the hookknife and then started the mouth last night

This is what he was like when I woke up

I was going to work on an order today, but it was cloudy, I was tired, and i wanted to work on this guy still

Started the nose and still did a bunch more cleaning

Close up

I also formed the back of the headress

And that brings us to the present:

More work on the nose and blocking out the headress

Face

Still trying to get the legs to look right

Floor update:

Now i just have everything else to do...
Buzzy Out!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 2:53 AM

Thanks for the floor update! This guy looks like a winner! I dig it.

-G

B

I Love the animation and character of this guy. It's nice to see you taking extra time to clean the detail as you go too.
Nice stuff as usua' but continuously getting better.

H

Buzzy I agree with Benz, this one has a lot of character, I like the step up. Looks like you have your own unique style now.It looks great, more pictures asap.

T

Looks as if he has a little Captain in him.

The sun has not come out here for a few days now. Here is a much more interesting sunset donated to me by a long time viewer of this thread.

Sunset. Costa Rica, 2006. by H------.

Thanks H------, like the street. Join TC someday.

I just finished being busy for a few days. I wasn't missing. In fact, if any of you were worried, in the future, you can locate me at the end of a trail of chips

I was at the end of this pile yesterday:

This trail led right to me

I get everything dirty, no matter where I go.

Here's when I first started the arms last night

Here he was this morning:

Did a bunch of little tweaking on it today, to get it just right. You'll see later.
I just can't seem to stop carving on this guy. Like I'm compelled or something...
Buzzy Out!

You need to post over at Bali Hijinkx!

I'm sure BK could hook you up!!!

They would love the living room pics!!!!

( just watch out for the back stabbing!!!!!!!!)

ARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2007-05-18 23:31, RevBambooBen wrote:

(just watch out for the back stabbing!!!!!!!!)

Que es eso?

P

HAHAHA

i sooo want to come and spend a few days with you. you and kinny would make a freakishly ADD team. tikis carved with insanely detailed squirrels.

3 Days and no Buzzy no carvie?

On 2007-05-18 23:45, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-05-18 23:31, RevBambooBen wrote:

(just watch out for the back stabbing!!!!!!!!)

Que es eso?

I washed my hands from that!. and or got kicked out by their members. It was too hard to follow anyways. They bag hard on anything TC. They're like the most anal of the group
( the members! Not! the Owner!!!!!!!) . Baggin on Buzz for carving in his living room. No worries dude, just keep carving !!!!!!!!! Carve on your toilet!! And, I got a cool sunset pic today that I'll gladly post on Tuesday......if you don't mind............

H

Buzzy you are a sensation, they even talk about you on Balihi jinkx.

J

On 2006-04-07 22:18, Monkeyman wrote:
looking good. How long have you been carving?

In addition to the above I am wondering how long it takes to get that good? My first attempts have been less than successful and I'm getting discouraged.

buzzy i love the step up and the tiki is looking sweet keep those wood chips flying

hey buzzy, great new piece you got started there. i like the stance you got him in there. sorry i havent been around lately, the internet is down every now and then and my computer is not working right.
but i like the new guy for sure

P

Buzzy, with all due respect - the pictures of your living room are hilarious.
I'm certain that no one on planet earth has ever seen anything like it.
If Ben did that in HIS living room, he'd be sleeping in the car after having gone through 4 shop vacs.

That's why he does it to everyone else's living room and then gets paid for it.

ARRRRRRR.

On 2007-05-22 15:09, pablus wrote:
Buzzy, with all due respect - the pictures of your living room are hilarious.
I'm certain that no one on planet earth has ever seen anything like it.

Pablus: I just wanted you to know that you have gone from being my new best friend to be one of my longtime best friends. Consider it a promotion.

And just so a bunch of people I do not know will not make fun of me anymore, I moved my carving operations back outside. I also moved my tv in the window so I can see it from my carving area.

Pablus, I'd like to invite you over to hang out with me in my outside carving area. Let me know in advance so I can drag a couch out there so we can be more comfortable. Did I tell you I get all the movie channels?

On 2007-05-22 06:50, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy you are a sensation, they even talk about you on Balihi jinkx.

My ego actually grew today when I heard this...

Hiltiki: Now that I'm so famous in the tiki world that I transcend the confines of TC, I want to let you know something: I stopped wearing underwear today when I go out in public so that when the paparazzi takes a picture of me getting out of my car,they will have a nice shot of my tiki pole inventory. For advertising, of course. I want all my lady fans to know what i have in stock, currently...

On 2007-05-22 14:55, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
buzzy i love the step up and the tiki is looking sweet keep those wood chips flying

Why thank you Marcus, it's always nice to have you drop by. Here's a little work I got done on him on Saturday:

On 2007-05-22 14:36, jaimela wrote:
How long have you been carving?In addition to the above I am wondering how long it takes to get that good? My first attempts have been less than successful and I'm getting discouraged.

Jaimela: Welcome to TC! I have been carving for about 1 year and 8 months. So, I guess it took me that long to get this good, but it will take me longer than forever to become as good as I'd like to be. Do not get discouraged. Just keep at it. You will get better with time. Keep looking through TC carving threads, you'll pick up a lot of good advice between all the blah blah blahing.

On 2007-05-22 15:03, Tiki Duddy wrote:
i havent been around lately

Hey, Duddy's back! Glad you are still alive and kicking. You get the summer off of school or do you have to make up a bunch of snow days? And do not carve in your living room or people will bag on you.

I'm working on this one today.
early progress

little more

t's a bar stool, so I made an ass dent in it for comfort

Bamboo Ben: I have not seen the sun in about a week now. Please post your sunset photo. And why would they kick you out?

Speaking of Out!
Buzzy Out!

B

Lookin' pretty Cool there relaxing by the tiki chips Buzz. I think I'm jealouse, you're having too much fun.
Oh yeah, nice tiki too!

P

I hope you like rum. Because I'll be bringing some. Prolly mixers too. Ask anyone here, I'm the guy who takes people up on invites.

If you're a tee totaler though, that's cool. I make a mean batch of Tahitan Sunsets that will make you think you're one of the Bounty Crewmen. You'll want a picture of those sunsets. I mean... a pitcher.

And the uke. I'll be bringing that.

But make sure that I get to see that living room in person because I'm certain that the pics don't even approach the madness.

You know, I have a carving fetish but also a problem. I got logs but no skills. I mean NO skills.
I have a friend that owns a HUGE palm farm and I can get all the logs I want but.. we just save them... and hope that one day, we'll meet a carver/musician who can do for us what Al does for APE. I've been thinking of going over to Coomb's Fortress of Solitude and kidnapping him but I can't find a cage strong enough. And vodka is expensive.

Nice shots of you among the logs, btw. Looks like the kind of place I could camp for a few days.

Do they make steel-sole sandals? I hate splinters. :wink:

H

Buzzy I want to know when Pablus is coming cause I want to come hear him play the uke and sing. Well I guess I will be bringing some food then, unless you guys trust my mixology expertise then I will be making drinks.
Buzzy notice how we are invited to your party already. :)

Was out in the desert Monday. On the way out early a.m. I had my windshield wipers on from the June Gloom all the way to Morongo. On the way back that eve, that damn June Gloom was still there, like a wall of evil!

sunset june gloom style!

p.s. keep up the work good Buzz.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies