Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2011 11:51 AM

Is this a new page yet?

Somebody shot his penis off.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-07-20 11:53 ]

Sunset:

The last week has been a blur....

It was all going quite well and I had the two tall tikis all sanded and ready to be detailed:

It was real hot and dirty work, so I went to go swim in the lake before I started to do the final work on them.

When I got down to the lake shore, I found some dude measuring something:

He told me he was some fancy pants decorator from the city somewhere and he was going to do some building and that I needed to help him with it for a few days. I looked him up online and read about him and the stuff he makes. I went back out to him and said,"Hey, I just did some research on you online."
He paused from measuring stuff out and introduced himself to me. I pointed to his tape measurer and asked if he was using it a lot on this job. He said so far, yes. So then I asked Bamboo Ben when exactly it was that he sold out to the establishment and started using a f'n ruler!

Next thing I know, I'm digging holes, screwing screws, and lugging lumber to hell and back. Here's some big poles that we set:

Here's a video clip of some help we got from local legend Crazy Kelly Osbourne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TdhzqjCuA
I'll have "pics soon" of the final outcome. There's still some minor work to do on them.

My dog could only bury her head in the sand in horror while it was all happening:

After Ben left, I had to make a bunch of these:

It's all soap... my house is a mess after making those, but the good news is that the mess is soap. So I guess have the cleanest mess possible?

In other around here news, I got a glimpse of the baby dove:

After looking at the lazy efforts put into nest making by the mama dove, I have decided that I no longer like dove.

My new favorite bird is the bird who made this nest:

way better than a pile of sticks on a net!

I thought that nest looked like a mini tiki hut, so I decorted it up a bit:

I heard a voice in my head that told me to climb up a 20 foot ladder and put the tiki there. Funny thing is, the voice had a German accent and sounded a lot like Sven.

I've started to run into a few of these now and again:

Can you eat toads? I'm sure it's a delicacy somewhere...Send recipies if you have them

Owl update:
Found them on the island the other evening:

This guy was on the opposite shore:

Here's another picture of my dog standing in the lake:

She does that all the time.

Finally, I went to a junkyard that specialized in planes and airport junk for research purposes:

Strange things about the plane junkyard are that nothing's for sale and it costs $2000 to take pictures there!

On 2011-07-13 13:49, tok-tok wrote:
Are you on vacation or did you relocate?

I got busted for something that I cannot discuss here, and as a result I was placed on house arrest for anywhere from a couple to few years. Since I couldn't leave my house or grounds as part of my sentence, I resettled somewhere where it was so large and cool that it didn;t matter that I couldn;t leave. In fact, I don't want to leave! Ha, take that justice system! I'm doing your time in paradise!

On 2011-07-20 11:51, GROG wrote:

Somebody shot his penis off.

It actually looks like it was chewed off...I wonder what critter around here did that?

At Mojave Oasis, even the bird's nests are Tikified!
Buzzy Out!

BUZZ, I would be very suspicious of any man with a tape measure in his hand who claimed to be Bamboo Ben. The Bamboo Ben I know would never use one of those - in fact he gave me crap for using a level.

Be sure to skin the toads and wash them well before cooking, all members of the genus Bufo secrete a poison with varying levels of toxicity. And I'm sure a man of your dubious reputation is already well aware of the hallucenogenic effects from licking the Colorado River Toad (Bufo alvarius). Don't bogart that toad my friend... :lol:

H

Buzzy I love the soaps, can you save me one of each. also, do you come home often or you are staying there most of the time. I love the fact that you don't have to bother with people, smog, freeways, crazy city life. The place looks so peaceful and serene I am jealous.

On 2011-07-21 09:07, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy I love the soaps, can you save me one of each. also, do you come home often or you are staying there most of the time. I love the fact that you don't have to bother with people, smog, freeways, crazy city life. The place looks so peaceful and serene I am jealous.

Hey Hill! remeber the show Green Acres? Just like that but in the desert.
You should go see Buzz!

Sunsets all looked the same the last few days so I skipped taking a shot of it. :(

The other night, I was cleaning up this mess:

I threw a ball of string on the top of my storage cabinet and apparently scared a nesting dove off her nest. She kept bonking her head on the ceiling trying to flee. I wondered what she was up to up there, so I took a closer look...

Funny...I don't remember putting all those twigs up on the paint can:

Lone egg in the nest:

Mama was back the next morning:

She stayed up there all day, watching me carve.She finally took off when I took the nail gun out for a trial run later that day. She was back the next morning and seems to be getting used to me out there all the time.

This was pretty much her view as I knocked through the detailing of this one:

Now stained in "Rory Red."

On 2011-07-20 19:56, MadDogMike wrote:
all members of the genus Bufo secrete a poison with varying levels of toxicity. And I'm sure a man of your dubious reputation is already well aware of the hallucenogenic effects from licking the Colorado River Toad (Bufo alvarius).

I was thinking that the other night when Poki grabbed a big one and was carrying it around in her mouth. I kept waiting for her to start dancing in the moonlight to some Grateful Dead bootlegs, but it never happened...

On 2011-07-21 09:07, hiltiki wrote:
#1 Buzzy I love the soaps, can you save me one of each.
#2 do you come home often or you are staying there most of the time.
#3 I love the fact that you don't have to bother with people, smog, freeways, crazy city life. The place looks so peaceful and serene I am jealous.

#1 The soaps are for this:
tikiyaki polynesian village deluxe vacation getaway package !
Jim will have the soaps for sale separately around Oasis time. I'm just the wholesaler/manufacturer of these.
I'm selling soaps I made like this for Mojave Oasis:
Hand made Tiki Soap Bar- coconut scented cocobutter soap shaped like an Easter Island Moai Tiki Statue

#2 I think I've gone home maybe 4 times since January. I'm up here pretty much all the time.

#3 But I do have to bother with: cold, wind, heat, bugs, sand,algae, and having nothing you need close at hand when you need it.

On 2011-07-21 18:55, RevBambooBen wrote:
You should go see Buzz!

Yeah Hiltiki, come visit me some time! you'd love it here! Hot like the valley, but empty!

I'm going to go sit on the porch and wait for something exciting to happen.I hope maybe I'll see a car go by. There's a good chance one will, it is the busy day,Saturday, here after all.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2011-07-23 12:03 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 23, 2011 12:06 PM

Do you put something on your tikis to protect/prolong them since they are sitting outside?

E

Gorgeous pole, Buzzy!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 23, 2011 4:13 PM

That's what SHE said!

Them Ant's should be ready by now for that thar resin science thingy right?

K

Nice work as always, Buzzy!

Doves are just fancy pigeons. I would eat them before the toads.

PS Nice work

Resin Ants!!! :wink:

On 2011-07-26 21:43, RevBambooBen wrote:
Resin Ants!!! :wink:

Stay tuned...
Buzzy Out!

:)

I've been meaning to ask you - what's to keep the sand from sticking to the resin? It's not like you'll end up with a clear "tree" with ants inside. Might work a little better in a dirt vs sand area where some of the dirt might dissolve off when you soaked it in water.

When do we get to see the final result? :D

A nice picture of the owl at the lake shore at sunset:

On 2011-07-23 22:07, RevBambooBen wrote:
Them Ant's should be ready by now for that thar resin science thingy right?

I got worried because when I went out there they were all gone...vanished into thin air. When I was digging out the resin, I hit a few tunnels that started spilling the ants out:

That chunk in the middle is the sand coated resin vien I'm following. I dig under it and let the sand fall away.

The resin went down pretty far. I used 64oz total. Here's a s far as I dug

I got all these pieces from the surface to as far as the resin seeped.

There were a few small side off shoots that I didn't dig out

Next, I cleaned them off with a hose. Here's the top surface chambers

The upper left clear spot was the surface hole

this is the side view of the top piece

I kept them in order as I pulld them out and pieced this back together:

On 2011-07-27 18:44, MadDogMike wrote:
I've been meaning to ask you - what's to keep the sand from sticking to the resin? It's not like you'll end up with a clear "tree" with ants inside.

I wasn't going to let that stop me...

However,

There were parts where the resin didn't fill up the chamber to the top, so those parts were clear of dirt on the the surface and had visible ants in them :) :

It;s reminiscent of Pompeii

Check the piece at the end where all the ants got caught in the deluge and were frozen together in clumps:

Now that science time is over, it's tiki time...

Pics soon!
Buzzy Out!

T

Save the Queen. Which one is the Queen. I'm the Queen.

I tried my fisheye lens feature for tonight's sunset:

Now that's some digital art!

Aside from being a digital artist, I'm also a man of the regular arts, a man of science, as well as a man of leisure. My last post was an expression from the science side of me. Now here's one from the regular arts side of me:

Today was get 'er done day. So I started by getting all the details carved and done on the second post. Top tiki done:

Five hours later, Bam! I'm done with the rest of it:

I had to adjourn for a few hours due to heat, but around dusk I had it all finish sanded and stained:

that completes the set:

Next, the installation part...I'm thinking i might need another piece for it as well.

But first, I have another tiki to carve for another part of the property. It will be a quicker one, and hopefully nothing will come up and I;ll be able`to start it tomorrow.

As you may have seen last week, I could barely get anything done because my work area was always in this state:

something had to be done...

I got a compresser and nail gun, so I practiced with it and took some leftover warped and split wood from BambooBen's last project and "freehanded" a shelf. I piled all my extra crap on it, and as a result I gained some valuable floor work space:

I have all kinds of room now! I moved the carpet so it's more like carving at home sweet home. Home sweet home with the furnace stuck on for a month, that is...

Best part of it is my new stereo shelf/tool holder. Mama dove doesn't seem to mind being so close to the tunes either:

In other news, one owl looked like this the other morning:

And, my dog learned how to swin across the lake last Monday!

She's a full on lake dog now! She even taught Ringo how to swim.

On 2011-07-23 12:06, GROG wrote:
Do you put something on your tikis to protect/prolong them since they are sitting outside?

No moisture here to mess them...Log's already dry. So, yes I do, but no, I'm not right now...

On 2011-07-23 13:42, ebtiki wrote:
Gorgeous pole, Buzzy!

thanks eb!

On 2011-07-24 18:49, KAHAKA wrote:
Nice work as always, Buzzy!

Thanks kahaka. Glad to finally get 'em done. All it took in the end was a get 'er done day...

On 2011-07-25 19:06, Grand Poobah wrote:
Doves are just fancy pigeons. I would eat them before the toads.
PS Nice work

I'd have dove before toads too, but around here, it's always RABBIT SEASON:

Babalu: Poki says she's sorry...

Now to engage the leisure side of myself!
Buzzy Out!

Who will be viewer #500,000?

Buzzy Out!

me!

400 sumpin left...

Can't wait to swim with Poki cross the lake!

Soon...

Lots of weather here the last few days. we've had everything but cold...

one day ended like this:

The next one started like this:

I caught one owl at sunrise yesterday:

After some crazy rain, yesterday ended like this:

In between the insect swarms and brutal weather, I got a log cleaned:

and the tiki drawn on it:

If I was in SD right now, it would be the height of Luau party rental season. I really started to miss doing that while being up here, so last weekend, I threw Ringo a party, complete with Tiki decor:

Unfortunately, Ringo doesn;t have any friends out here, so other than the decor, the party was a bust.

Poki didn't even show up for the party. Once she got a taste of fresh rabbit meat, she went full time hunter on me. She's been like this for three straight days now, waiting for a gopher to come out of the hole:

How pleasant! 102 out.
Buzzy Out!

The sun setting with some rain next to it:

Now it's back to full on bright sunny all day mode

Here's a little progress on the newest piece:

It's a bumatay "tribute." I'm trying to finish and install it before this auction is up:
Extremely Rare Vintage Tiki Mug
I'd been wanting to do a Bumatay and/or Guanko tribute for a liitle bit now. The other day I decide to go for it. when I logged on to TC to look for a reference picture, I noticed that auction link. Not wanting to bother myself with searching any further, I used that mug as a source.

So remember this: if you ever post a picture of a tiki on TC, there's a chance it will snagged and duplicated in less than a week.
Buzzy Out!

Tonight's sunset seen through a piece of rusted farm equipment:

Here's the progresson on the body from yesterday evening:

And tonight:

Should be done with the final carving, details, and sanding tomorrow...

Owl update:
I saw one down on the lake's edge:

And finally grabbed the elusive owl drinking shot:

I need a pepsi.
Buzzy Out!

T

Buzzy, those owl photos are so cool! And you and your carving are cool too!, thanks...

Buzzy, we have been waiting for years for you to come visit the Buzzy bedroom we have in your honor.

Finally we see your truck in a parking lot near our home. We waited 24 hours until we had to leave. You hid didn't you. Well one of these days we'll find you! Wendy

PS will you be at Oasis and is there another pinup?

The owls are rad.

I've always wanted one as a pet. I will instead enjoy your great photos of them.

Love the tikis also! The grounds are going to look extra "tiki" with all the new work!

Buzzy....i hope there is a desert inspired pin up this year

You cant break tradition now !

On 2011-08-06 19:31, closettiki wrote:

Something like this with Buzzy and a rattlesnake?

You round first o the (next) week? the BB tribe might invade for 24hrs !
( hook up your PA :wink:

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2011-08-08 18:55 ]

B

Buzzy, Every time I come back here it seems your skills have jumped a few more Light years. and are getting tighter detail with every one. Your Maori pieces are Just Unbelievable Incredible. When you gonna send me one?
How's the suntan coming working out in the desert?
Cheers
Ben

Today's sunset:

I went back to SD for a couple days to cool off. It was 36 degrees cooler in SD than it is here at noon. Feeling refreshed from my oceanside vacation, I finished up the Bumatay tribute today.
I decided to burn it:

Then i stained the uncarved part to match the hut it will be placed in:

In other news, Mama dove's eggs hatched:

On 2011-08-06 15:34, danlovestikis wrote:
PS will you be at Oasis and is there another pinup?

Yes, I'll be at my usual spot. I don't have a photographer, but I'll try to do a self portrait deal...

On 2011-08-06 19:03, Lake Surfer wrote:
Love the tikis also! The grounds are going to look extra "tiki" with all the new work!

It's a slow march, one piece at a time.

On 2011-08-06 19:31, closettiki wrote:

I know! And, I've been working on my tan for the last six months!

On 2011-08-06 03:53, tikipaka wrote:
Buzzy, those owl photos are so cool! And you and your carving are cool too!, thanks...

My pleasure...

On 2011-08-06 19:37, MadDogMike wrote:

Something like this with Buzzy and a rattlesnake?

Something like that...

On 2011-08-06 19:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
You round first o the (next) week? the BB tribe might invade for 24hrs !
( hook up your PA :wink:

Bamboo Ben

Nope. Back now though.

On 2011-08-09 20:51, Benzart wrote:
When you gonna send me one?
How's the suntan coming working out in the desert?
Cheers
Ben

Right after I send you your old Maori pole that I have...
The tan is coming along nicely. I need it to peak on Tuesday.

Dry heat is still hot heat when it's this hot!
Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 12, 2011 11:07 PM

SEND TO GROG:

Sweet work

T

I love that. Yeah, very nice.

Just print out a bunch of these and hand them out :D

I put some finish on the Bumatay tribute and then stuck it in the hut:

Fits nice:

Here's his view:

I found the owls on the dock yesterday:

They let me get within about 15 feet to snap these two shots:

On 2011-08-12 23:07, GROG wrote:
SEND TO GROG:

Too late. Sorry...
Try again soon.

On 2011-08-12 23:59, hang10tiki wrote:
Sweet work

Thanks HTT.

On 2011-08-13 08:43, TheBigT wrote:
I love that. Yeah, very nice.

I think I need to do another bumatay to go up on the hut. Looks funny with only one...

On 2011-08-13 08:57, MadDogMike wrote:
Just print out a bunch of these and hand them out :D

That looks like the "Before" picture of me. Before the liberal use of chest rogaine, that is...

Oasis? Already?...
Buzzy Out!

A huge thank you Buzzy for the 2011 Oasis pinup. So here's an update on the Buzzy Bedroom in which you have not yet slept. Gecko slept there with his wife and at a later date so did the Chief Bartender Sean. I hope to add to the list in the future. Cheers, Wendy

Hilarious!

Nice background Buzz :D

No kidding. I love the MadDogMike aquarium, the Benzart and Buzzy tikis and little lost tikis ceiling. That's a million dollar set up for this pin up guy. Next year no sunglasses, you are cool without them! Wendy

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2011 7:04 PM

I drove past your exit off of the 5 the other day....your exit said to say "hi"!

It must be hot over there!

On 2011-09-09 19:04, Babalu wrote:
I drove past your exit off of the 5 the other day....your exit said to say "hi"!

It must be hot over there!

I was just on that exit a few hours ago. :wink:

It was 104 before I left yesterday.

Buzzy Out!

You must be Really busy!!!

No post for 30 days?

HOK

In my best Tatoo voice...."Boss, the plane" :)

Buzzy's latest project

Ah ha! That explains the trip a month or so ago! Sweet!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies