Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

I have a lot of catching up to do, so here I go...

As previously posted, I took a road trip with my pop out to the desert to drop off the big tiki. Here he is in his new spot:

The table and chairs will be right in front of him, and as Amy requested, another large Maori twin/brother/cousin is going to go at the base on the other side of the A frame
Here's the log I'm using for it

I stripped a little off it just to see what I'd be in for later...

Then the sun set and I didn't do any more work because I was tired from driving all day:

Which brings me to saturday. I awoke on fire with a blaze of motivation and had several tasks I wanted to accomplish on this day.

Here's a brief overview of my tasks:

And now a more detailed look at those tasks:

I sanded this guy real good all over and had him ready for staining

I also had this guy all sanded up and ready to go

I also put a coat of exterior latex paint on the table that looks like drum to make it look a little more like a real drum

A little rope will go a long way to making this illusion complete:

My hope is that some one will tap on it to see if it's a real drum. Looks pretty dang close...

I got the two pieces all stained up before the sunset

There wasn't enough light to photo them fully stained until Sunday

Saturday Sunset:

Sunday, the cahirs and table looked like this:

I just needed to wait another day to put on spar because I wanted to put it on in the morning, ratherv than in the evening. It's been real damp at night last few days and I want to give the spar a drying headstart.

So, there they would sit until the next day.

In the meantime, Pat came over to work on his tiki again

He's getting close to wrapping that one up.

To kill some time, I took a ficus log I just got like this:

And turned it into a bunch of pieces like this:

There was a smaller piece in that gap on the left that I started messing around with yesterday

It had been a few hours since a tiki artist had posted a version of a moai, so I stepped up to fill that gap.
First I just wanted to feel out the wood and see if it would be worth the time and effort, so I did a quick carve on the top of one piece of it.

I didn't know what to do with the rest of the piece of wood, so I just made another knife out of it:

The sun set befor I could finish it,

I watched some crappy tv that night and and finished it up:

I got the blade pretty sharp

The handle is really comfortable

I put some oil on it a while ago and it is now curing. Looks good so far...

And finally, to end my update, I bring us to today:

Today, I put spar on these guys,

And now I need something to do...

I'm going to answer all your guys posts in a little bit...In the meantime, reread this post and have your next round of inquiries ready.
I'll be back shortly
Buzzy Out!

T

Great stuff. Love the giant maori and the drum table! That table looks heavy!

S

Big guy looks fantastic!

Love the knife.

Super cool drum, Buzzy!
the Moai knife looks sweet aswell- nice color

What did you use to rip up that ficus, a table saw? That knife came out excellent! Good lighting and photography on it.

All the stuff you're making for Amy is some of your best work ever, IMO. I'm sure she's more than pleased!

H

Buzzy, everything looks so good. I love that knife, great job.

The Metrosexual New Moari Big Guy/Girl Log looks longer?

Sweet!

The light stained Chairs and Table are gonna go off next to the black

lava flow.

Gonna be an awesome entry to the bar!

Buzzy rocks!

p.s. Drum top perfect for 140 degree summer!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 30, 2009 7:56 PM

Buzzer, you should take another piece of ficus and carve a base ( sheath, scabbard, whatever) to hide the blade.

T

this table and chair set really rocks, I love the way you designed the legs, it is so cool looking.
Can't wait to see the Maori bro!

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-03-30 21:48 ]

First off, I'd like to direct all your attention to the Frankies Tiki Room website, where they have updated the Artist's page with a great new picture of ME. (left side, scroll down, under some guy named Bamboo Ben)

On 2009-03-26 22:33, big daddy wrote:
how do you cope with the feeling of loss when you let one of your pieces go? i still have to get over that feeling of loss.

It gets much easier after you've had to go through it a few times. I just tell myself that I'm going to make an even better one for myself, someday. I used to have a hard time letting go of my pieces, but now passing one on allows me to continue making more, and more, and more...There are a couple pieces I carved that I wish I still had, but they went to good homes, so it's cool.

On 2009-03-27 02:46, Benzart wrote:
The short trio looks great too. You really need to do something about that yard, there just aren't enough logs yet! :lol:

Making those short guys is how I get rid of those logs in that yard real quick. Those tree dudes always have more logs, no matter how fast I try to get rid of them.

On 2009-03-27 07:21, RevBambooBen wrote:
you're like 5'4" right?

When I'm sleeping...

On 2009-03-27 09:10, GROG wrote:
5'3& 3/4".

That's just the tip

On 2009-03-28 21:57, VonTiki wrote:
You've inspired me to carve more Buzz! Thanks.

Right on Von! Get er Done! The surgeon with the chainsaw...

On 2009-03-29 06:31, Cammo wrote:
Hey Buzzy, your shoelace is untied!

I'm trying to trip and get hurt so I can get on disability and not have to work anymore.

On 2009-03-29 07:05, Grand Poobah wrote:
I have never seen a three legged tiki before. I wish I was that fortunate!

Hmmmm.... I just assumed WE were ALL like that.

On 2009-03-29 10:57, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
Ray asked me how much I was spending and I said they came as a set............lol
Buzzy, you are Amazing, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, thank you. And...I know where the back gate is now, so we can always sneak the stuff by Ray and deal in cash. :wink: Speaking of sets, prepare yourself for the table/chair set this weekend! And of course, the twin soon after that...

On 2009-03-29 12:26, Lake Surfer wrote:
Again, very impressive Buzzy!

A twin will look extra sweet!

thanks Lake! It going to be fun to do another tall guy. It will look good there too.

On 2009-03-30 14:40, TheBigT wrote:
Great stuff. Love the giant maori and the drum table! That table looks heavy!

I'll be perfectly honest....That table is one of the heaviest damn pieces I've dealt with. I can barely lift it. I took out a lot of material wherever I could, but it still weighs a ton. It's a real dense piece of wood and has that extra heft to it. It won't get knocked over, that's for sure. The drinks will definitely be safe on it.

On 2009-03-30 16:03, Tiki Duddy wrote:
Super cool drum, Buzzy!
the Moai knife looks sweet aswell- nice color

Yes! It's a table that looks like a drum! I hope you were fooled! If so, I'll take that as a "Job Well Done!"

On the knife, I used Dark walnut for the Moai. For the blade, I used golden oak, then cherry over that.

On 2009-03-30 16:08, 4WDtiki wrote:
What did you use to rip up that ficus, a table saw? That knife came out excellent! Good lighting and photography on it.
All the stuff you're making for Amy is some of your best work ever, IMO. I'm sure she's more than pleased!

I used the chainsaw with a pretty close to brand new chain on it and then cleaned up the surfaces and squared them out with the ryobi planer.
I'd agree with the stuff for Amy being some of my best work. She asked for the right stuff at the right time and it all came together nicely. If she's not pleased, I will gladly take them all back. :)

On 2009-03-30 17:14, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy, everything looks so good. I love that knife, great job.

Thanks Hiltiki! Good to hear from you! Will I be seeing you at the Tonga Hut on the 11th?

On 2009-03-30 19:46, RevBambooBen wrote:

lava flow.

I might be able to squeeze a couple more inches out of it... The whole place is going to rock! Can't wait for the Kahiki add on too.
party in the desert!

On 2009-03-30 19:56, GROG wrote:
Buzzer, you should take another piece of ficus and carve a base ( sheath, scabbard, whatever) to hide the blade.

I could hide the blade in a matching tiki body. It would look harmless being carried around by an average tiki guy, but then, at the appropriate time, out comes the blade and ASSASSINATION time! Tiki Guy Ninja style! It kills vampires too...

On 2009-03-30 21:47, Tahitiki wrote:
this table and chair set really rocks, I love the way you designed the legs, it is so cool looking.
Can't wait to see the Maori bro!

Thanks Tahitiki! This table chair set is definitely some of my favorite work. A lot of really good stuff came together on these. I'm real happy with them. Now to think up something cool for the next big guy.

Buzzy Out!

Quote:

On 2009-03-30 19:46, RevBambooBen wrote:

lava flow.

I might be able to squeeze a couple more inches out of it... The whole place is going to rock! Can't wait for the Kahiki add on too.
party in the desert!

Tree House/Hut first.... Kahiki 2nd. More tikis in the future....

Yesterday's sunset:

Yesterday was sit around and watch crap dry day. After a couple more coats of oil, the knife was drying:

And, the table set dried away the day too

That last coat of spar really enhanced the look of these considerably.

Today's coat should be the icing on the cake

I wanted to work on something yesterday, but not on clay, and not on something large either. I grabbed one of my new pieces of ficus and milled down a little plank. I drew up a design and took to it.

Here it is drawn out. The plank is 15.5" long, 2.25" wide, and .5 inches thick:

I don't have one of them fancy outline saws, so I do the rough cutting with a hookknife

Here it is later on with a phone and the knife for scale

After some body work

Here's where I left it last night:

To work I go...
Buzzy Out!

BD

man, what don't you do? love the knife, guess i have to look for something else to carve.

bd

Here's some progress on the new bling pendant:

I started by sanding it down real good so I could do the detailing

Detailing started:

Fully carved now, sanded, and awaiting stain:

And now, the stain:

I think I'll shellac this one

On 2009-04-01 12:36, big daddy wrote:
guess i have to look for something else to carve.

Go ahead and make one. I wouldn't want you to miss out on a good creative opportunity-especially since I'm not the first, or last person to make some sort of tiki design on a blade.
Here's a couple shots for you for some tiki utility inspiration:

Rock the bling!
Buzzy Out!

S

Mum nice bling!

B

Keep on Truckin' man, you're doing some Really SWEET Stuff Love that Long Tall Maori guy, he looks like a cros between a Hei-Tiki and Fred Astaire. I Love the wood grain too, Plain old Ficus!

Hi Buzzy-
Those tiki knives look super sweet!! Do you think any of them will ever injure or kill anybody? I'm just curious.
Love,
Spermy

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2009 10:55 AM

Probably not.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2009 10:56 AM

B

On 2009-03-25 16:31, Babalu wrote:

"Nice man purse you got there!" :roll:

I keep my ammo in that purse!

Nice stuffs Master Buzz... I will be amazed if you have clay things done and dry that need to go in this mornings bisque firing...did I say this morning...yup, this morning...call. Your other work came out great in last nights glaze firing.

Buzzy!

Nice detailing on the Maori/Bling Pendant!

Looks like a super nice piece of wood and you made it proud with the A-1 sanding and sharp carves!

Yesterday's sunset:

I missed today's.

I started the log prep process for the next big Maori guy. I took the outer layer off with the draw knife and squared it off with the chainsaw before I moved it

I used some logs as rollers, a brick for a fulcrum and as a pivot point, and a tow rope to move it by myself into the back work area.

Once it was in the back, I used the ryobi planer and a disc sander to get it all clean

I had a theory that I could get the log upright all by myself using a 2x6" x 4', my deck, and my carving burro. If it bcame effortful, I wasn't going to push it because I had no other reason to raise it other than to just see if I could. So, with a lot less exertion on my part than anticipated, I got this 7'4" log raised by myself:

I didn't think through getting it down yet...

I also have the drum table finished up with the rope and some exrta layers of paint:

The twisty Maori guy after some shine:

I think it needs one more coat...

On 2009-04-04 11:58, Babalu wrote:

I keep my ammo in that purse! Your other work came out great in last nights glaze firing.

That's what she said!!!! damn that joke never gets old!

Since you mentioned it: Here's some of that work that came out the glaze firing:

The napkin rings

Salt and pepper shakers:

Made to match(two sizes of s&p shakers shown):

Birdman Rock pendant:

A couple sand colored pendants:

On 2009-04-03 19:49, seeksurf wrote:
Mum nice bling!

That's what she said!

Yep! Still funny.

On 2009-04-04 09:50, Benzart wrote:
I Love the wood grain too, Plain old Ficus!

Gotta love that stuff! It got warm over the weekend and all day: pop, pop, pop! as my uncarved pieces cracked away. At least I got two nice pieces so far. Might be able to salvage one or two more.

On 2009-04-04 10:02, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Hi Buzzy-
Those tiki knives look super sweet!! Do you think any of them will ever injure or kill anybody? I'm just curious.
Love,
Spermy

If I don't have enough room for my stuff at the Tonga Hut show this saturday:

On 2009-04-04 10:56, GROG wrote:

We'll see...

On 2009-04-05 12:23, Lake Surfer wrote:
Looks like a super nice piece of wood and you made it proud with the A-1 sanding and sharp carves!

I cannot tell you how much I hate the sanding part. It takes forever to get it like that. Stupid things have to be as close to perfect as I can get them without me turning into Bowana.

Speaking of perfect

Bowana can carve a perfectly smooth tiki, and not use sandpaper.

When Bowana falls in a Mai Tai, Bowana doesn't get wet. The Mai Tai gets Bowana.

Bowana's tiki bar has no doors, only walls that he walks through.

If at first you don't succeed, you're not Bowana

Bowana counted to infinity - twice, and carved one tiki at the same time.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck into perfect tikis if that woodchuck was Bowana? ...All of it.

Bowana CAN believe it's not butter.

Bowana can divide by zero, and carve a tiki in size zero, and then divide the zero tiki by zero.

Bowana ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got a Trader's Vic's Mai Tai mixed by Beachcomber Berry.

Bowana can say "That's what she said!" after no one has spoken and it will still be funny to all who can hear him speak it.

Buzzy Out!

BD

buzzy,

seriously nice grain on your twisted maori. like the color too.

bd

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 3:36 PM

yup. scroll him up and get on to the next one. keep 'em coming :lol:

Yesterday' sunset:

It rained a little yesterday...

so, I didn't get much work done yesterday because, as you can see, the sudden downpour soaked my work area:

I spent the day cuddled up next to the fire, wrapped in a warm blanket, watching the rain out my window and sketching up the idea for Big Maori Guy #2. Here is what I'll attempt:

Drawing is to scale, each dash is one foot on the log. I did a grid on the log and will transfer the drawing on to graph paper, and then I will know to the half inch where everything will lay out on the log. I'll do that after a road trip...

to deliver the finished table and chair set.

:up: I like that picture of the set in stealth mode. Yo0u happen upon this scene and yo0u think that you have come upon two tikis playing a drum...

Then they turn and it's not drum, it's part of a lovely tiki patio set:

Some details shots of the drum table:

I caught myself instinctively reaching to play it a couple times as I walked by it. Looked like a drum to me.

Non tiki face panels:

First chair:

Second chair:

I also finally got around to taking final pictures of this guy that I finished a while ago. He's going to a new home tonight:

On 2009-04-07 22:44, big daddy wrote:

Thanks BD! I'm really going to have to try and salvage a couple more pieces of this stuff QUICK! I keep hearing the uncarved pieces pop away...

On 2009-04-09 15:36, GMAN wrote:
yup. scroll him up and get on to the next one. keep 'em coming :lol:

He's gone...

Next!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-04-09 20:36 ]

BD

man buzzy,

that patio set is really sweeeet! i'm gonna have to find myself some logs, ignore my daughter, girlfriend, work and friends for about a month and TRY to make a set and only hope to come close to your stuff. the new sketch looks pretty cool. what's he holding? a turkey leg from the ren fest? try and keep dry from that downpour and keep the chips flying.

bd

HOK

Buzzy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice looking Chops! One more for ol times sake....

On 2009-04-07 22:44, big daddy wrote:

Thats what she said! :)

Aloha, Freddie

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 5:44 PM

aaaaaand Poof, he's gone!

I don't think Iever saw that Ku-type feller (serves me right for not hanging out). That is freaking awesome man. I love those eyes and the nose. That is really hot stuff man. Gman reallllly likeee...

B

On 2009-04-07 22:10, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I cannot tell you how much I hate the sanding part. It takes forever to get it like that. Stupid things have to be as close to perfect as I can get them without me turning into Bowana.

Speaking of perfect

Bowana can carve a perfectly smooth tiki, and not use sandpaper.

The secret is to use toilet paper instead.

When Bowana falls in a Mai Tai, Bowana doesn't get wet. The Mai Tai gets Bowana.

Are you saying I'm fat?

Bowana's tiki bar has no doors, only walls that he walks through.

Yes, that's the easiest way to make a door, you know.

If at first you don't succeed, you're not Bowana

That's right because I'm Bowana.

Bowana counted to infinity - twice, and carved one tiki at the same time.

I have to admit that it's true. I did do that once-I mean twice.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck into perfect tikis if that woodchuck was Bowana? ...All of it.

That's because I sent my pet woodchuck to the same carving school that you sent your gopher friend to.

Bowana CAN believe it's not butter.

I like NotButter.

Bowana can divide by zero, and carve a tiki in size zero, and then divide the zero tiki by zero.

But only with the aid of my trusty Robot Steampunk Coke Bottle Goggles. Did you see the incredibly small carving MadDogMike made using his?

Bowana ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got a Trader's Vic's Mai Tai mixed by Beachcomber Berry.

Um, yes........okay, I don't get this one.

Bowana can say "That's what she said!" after no one has spoken and it will still be funny to all who can hear him speak it.

Especially to her.

Those are pretty good, Buzzy. I'm really glad I was surfing through your thread looking for more of your stuff to rip off, or I would never have found these lil' gems!

Bowie

B

C

OK, I get it...

When Bowana carves, he isn’t lifting his chisel up, he’s pushing the Earth down.

Bowana doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Bowana is maybe interested in carving.

Outer space exists because it's afraid to be on the same planet with Bowana's chisels.

Bowana does not sleep. He waits to carve.

Bowana's chisel is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Bowana can lead a horse to water AND make it drink.

Bowana doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.

Bowana can carve a revolving door.

Remember the Soviet Union? They decided to quit after watching Bowana carve on Satellite TV.

Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Bowanatorship.

Monday, was a nice day

Tuesday was windy, cold, and a little wet

Yesterday was real windy again, but sunny

Old business first
Here's a shot of me at the Tonga Hut show over the weekend:

Thanks to Anders Anderson for the picture. Great times were had by all there. Thanks to all of you who came out to visit with me.

New business

Here are some progress shots from the last couple days:

Side views:

Back to it now...

On 2009-04-09 22:20, big daddy wrote:
the new sketch looks pretty cool. what's he holding? a turkey leg from the ren fest?

Clubby things...

Like the guy on the right is holding

But, the design changed to be more similar to the other guy than different, so it will not have the club now.

On 2009-04-10 03:44, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Buzzy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice looking Chops!

That's what she said!

On 2009-04-10 17:44, GMAN wrote:
I don't think Iever saw that Ku-type feller

I finished that guy back in the frenzy of the week before Oasis. That was a tough one to let go of...

On 2009-04-14 10:02, Cammo wrote:
OK, I get it...

Welcome to the world of Bowana jokes!
Everyone can join in!

Buzzy Out!

B

So, have you made a dent in that mondo log pile yet?...you must have by now...

Jeez, Buzz...guess I'll have to come over today sometime and check out all the crazy stuff going on at "The House of Buzz".

If you ground up one of Bowana's failed ceramic pieces, the powder would cure all known diseases. Unfortunately, Bowana never fails.

Buzz, you've got some great looking stuff here. I was glad to see that you were able to get your log up by yourself :) (and what an impressive log it is!)

Bowana can paint the Mona Lisa on a atom and he can paint a smiley face on an electron.

"bowana's dick is so big it has a dick of it's own and it's still bigger than yours."

" when bowana gives you the finger that's how many seconds you have left"

" bowana once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now The Islands. "

" bowana can do a wheelie on a unicycle."

" When the boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for bowana. "

buzzy the only thing that would have made your photo better would have been a frosty adult beverage in your hand - ala james bond. great stuff.

bd

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 18, 2009 5:17 PM

"When the boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for bowana. "

:lol:

Bowana rules!

B

On 2009-04-14 10:02, Cammo wrote:
When Bowana carves, he isn’t lifting his chisel up, he’s pushing the Earth down.

Are you saying I'm fat?

Bowana doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

In two languages.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Bowana is maybe interested in carving.

Yes, carving them up for steaks.

Outer space exists because it's afraid to be on the same planet with Bowana's chisels.

I kicked outer space into outer space because there wasn't enough room on this planet for the two of us.

Bowana does not sleep. He waits to carve.

Unless I'm writing snotty comebacks to Bowana jokes.

Bowana's chisel is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Yes, I hate that guy so much. He reminds me too much of my twin brother.

Bowana can lead a horse to water AND make it drink

I can also lead water to water and make it drink.

Bowana doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.

I do wear a watch. It asks me for the time.

Bowana can carve a revolving door.

While in a revolving door.

Remember the Soviet Union? They decided to quit after watching Bowana carve on Satellite TV.

Sissies.

Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Bowanatorship.

HEIL!

On 2009-04-17 15:41, MadDogMike wrote:
If you ground up one of Bowana's failed ceramic pieces, the powder would cure all known diseases. Unfortunately, Bowana never fails.

The only time I ever failed was when...oh wait you're right!

Bowana can paint the Mona Lisa on a atom and he can paint a smiley face on an electron.

I'll not deny that.

On 2009-04-17 23:44, big daddy wrote:
"bowana's dick is so big it has a dick of it's own and it's still bigger than yours."

Stop, you're embarrassing me!

" when bowana gives you the finger that's how many seconds you have left"

...before I make you read all of these jokes again.

" bowana once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now The Islands. "

See bd's first joke :up:

" bowana can do a wheelie on a unicycle."

With my feet tied behind my back.

" When the boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for bowana. "

After that he checks it for GMAN.

Good job lads.
Now Bowana won't kill.
(today)

A few days worth of sunsets:

This day was real hot!

Today:

We had an impromptu chop over here a couple days ago. There was food, friends, and not much work going on. Typical Chop.
Here's Jabtiki eating some chips and having some Hawaiian Punch while Babalu works away

Babalu's exploring a new direction in his work

johnny sharing his punch with Kiva

I worked on the big guy and helped johnny put some goat hide on his drum

Group shots

Buzzard, 4WD, and Me

Babalu, Zaya, Jabtiki, Ringo, and Kiva

At the end of the chop day, this is where I had the big guy #2

After the weekend, it got real hot and I had to reconfigure my shadeless carving setup. It was over 90 in the shade here. I didn't get much done on the tiki, but I did get a shade tarp up and I did a bunch of yard work.

Today it only got up to 74 in the shade, so I got a lot of carving done

Some refining, alot of sanding, some tattoo carving, some more sanding, then staining, sealing, and I'm done!

Real soon now...

On 2009-04-17 08:10, Babalu wrote:
Jeez, Buzz...guess I'll have to come over today sometime and check out all the crazy stuff going on at "The House of Buzz".

You left your Starbuck's coffee here...

On 2009-04-17 11:08, MadDogMike wrote:
I was glad to see that you were able to get your log up by yourself :)

That's what she said!
It's too easy...

(and what an impressive log it is!)

That's what she said!

That's like hitting two grand slams in the bottom of the ninth to win game 7 of the World Series! I bet Bowana knows that feeling.

On 2009-04-17 15:41, MadDogMike wrote:
Bowana can paint a smiley face on an electron.

Bowana can paint a smiley face big tooth tiki with a pinapple on its forehead on an electron!

On 2009-04-17 23:44, big daddy wrote:
"bowana's ....etc"

Sounds like you KNOW Bowana.

buzzy the only thing that would have made your photo better would have been a frosty adult beverage in your hand - ala james bond. great stuff.

Add a couple of them Bond Girls and I think I would agree!

On 2009-04-18 17:17, GMAN wrote:
Bowana rules!

Who would win in a fight: The winner of Chuck Norris vs Buffy the Vampire slayer fighting against Bowana?
I think your next post will bring my thread to page 200

On 2009-04-18 20:06, Bowana wrote:
Good job lads.
Now Bowana won't kill.
(today)

Bowana has spoken!

There is nothing more that can be said.
Buzzy Out!

Yesterday's sunset:

I did the first sanding of the big guy to get him ready for the tattoos

Face clean and ready to go

Some lines drawn out

Some nose work

Upper lip and start of chin

This is where I stopped when my back started hurting:

Buzzy Out!

Groovy design buzzy....great progression photos too. helps beginners like myself see the steps used and thought process behind the final piece.

creative chimp

T

On 2009-04-23 20:22, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Yesterday's sunset:

Oh, so u DO have some crappy weather out there every once in a while! :lol:

This is where I stopped when my back started hurting:

I hear ya man. What does everyone else do when working on these big logs??

Today's sunset:

Another crappy day, and it's supposed to get worse

On 2009-04-24 08:03, TheBigT wrote:
Oh, so u DO have some crappy weather out there every once in a while! :lol:

Here's my high low thermometer that I have in my work area. On Monday, it got up to 92 while I was out there(briefly). You can see that marked by the pointer going towards the 92. The red one was the current temp while I was carving this afternoon:46. Exactly half. From too hot to too cold in four days.

They're calling for drizzle tomorrow... :(

On 2009-04-24 07:05, Creative Chimp wrote:
great progression photos too. helps beginners like myself see the steps used and thought process behind the final piece.
creative chimp

Welcome to the House of Buzz, CC. thanks for posting in. Here's some more progress shots:

A little bit of drawing done:

More drawing done, shown with the tools I will use when carving it up:

One side of forehead started

Both sides done

Cheeks done

Side view

Face all finished:

now I just have a little work to do on the legs and it's sanding time, again!

Buzzy Out!

At least it wasn't 110!

Lookin Spectac'lee' Arrrr!

B

Buzzy, you REALLY need to do More of these Maori guys as it looks like they are getting Better by leaps and bounds. You have an Excellent grasp of filling the face space with nice flowing lines. Also the4 symmetry is excellent.
Thats enough for today, I don't want you to think you are TOO Good, you might start slackin'n Off and we Can't have That!

excellent keep up the good work

Today's sunset:

I started the day by carving in some designs on the legs and getting it stood up. After that, I finished the day by sanding it all over, real good.

Just a toch here and there first thing in the morning and then it's staining time.

This one seemed to go quick.

On 2009-04-24 22:06, RevBambooBen wrote:
At least it wasn't 110!

Anything over 80 and go into seista mode...

On 2009-04-25 10:42, Benzart wrote:
Thats enough for today, I don't want you to think you are TOO Good, you might start slackin'n Off and we Can't have That!

Yeah, I need you you to wait to tell me how great I am for just one more day. Then, I'm going to finish this guy and retire while "at the top."

On 2009-04-25 17:33, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
excellent keep up the good work

Thanks Marcus! Great to hear from you again. I was thinking about you when I carved this piece because I started at the bottom and worked my way up. And because it was big, too...

"It was big too"-That's what she said!
Buzzy Out!

Today's sunset:

I got the second big guy all stained up today:

Tomorrow I start the sealing routine

I also managed to do the prep work for project next:

They're going to be a set of drum looking tables.

In other tiki news:
Pat stopped by the last couple of days to start a new tiki. Yesterday he went through the joy of cleaning a tall log. Today, he got to do the fun part:

He'll be done in no time!

Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies