Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

buzzy man those are some awsome designs you got there. i could never come up with that kind of stuff. really unique and original.

On 2007-01-30 14:47, Tiki Duddy wrote:
i could never come up with that kind of stuff.

Bet you can. :) Just do your research, and practice...

It's just a bunch of lines and curves, with some empty spaces in between...

Buzzy Out!

Rain guage read .55 inches. Nice sunset today

Done marking up this guy's face:

Stain time.

Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2007 5:43 PM

moko looks sweet!

I think you're not giving Zaya a tiki cause you're scared she'll show you up! :) :)

Turned out just right :)

:)

:) Buzzy Out!

On 2007-01-30 17:43, hewey wrote:
moko looks sweet!
I think you're not giving Zaya a tiki cause you're scared she'll show you up! :) :)

Zaya can buy one of my tikis whenever she wants to. I would even encourage it...

Buzzy

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2007 7:05 PM

On 2007-01-30 18:00, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Zaya can buy one of my tikis whenever she wants to. I would even encourage it...

Buzzy

REAL Funny! I like that almost as much as I liked.....

On 2007-01-30 13:26, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I'll make one for Zaya one of these days. One of these days when I'm not washing all the glasses a cereal bowls she leaves behind when she comes over...

That's hilarious! Hey, that Moko looks familiar, you didn't copy it off one of my pieces did you? :)

H

I say it turned out just right.

Damn that looks good! Now you'll have to do ALL of them. :wink:

Is that just stain, or burned and stain?

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2007 8:28 PM

In all seriousness, this guy came out beautiful! That color stain is perfect, and I can't get over how much it toned down the contrast of the tatooing. The patterns really flow together, and make this guy so amazing.

Zaya

great job buzzy. man dont make zaya kick your ass. hahaha. and zaya i havent seen your work lately. im not sure if ive been looking in the right place maybe. but i look forward to both of your next pieces.
well i think im gonna catch some sleep.
later

B

Excellent piece Oh BuzzMaster, I Knew you had it in you! Sunsets are coming along beautifully too. :) :) :)

B

Tight Buzz!

Thanks for the info on the optima 1...I will research. Three days of rain now...we should be carving an ark. As I gaze towards your place the clouds seem to be breaking? Fingers crossed for a shiny weekend.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 31, 2007 9:33 AM

Wow, your well doesn't run dry. Seems like you have endless supply of tikis waiting to come out of your chisels.

Great sunset shots.

Did you sell GROG's moai, or did you give it to your mom?

C

Veddy nice. Za ya is obviously a good influence on ya.

Hey, I like the Dante referance, but why not just call this thread "House of Buzz"? It's becoming its own website, a place to hang out like a little neighborhood bar.

Grog's Moai and all the little stuff I carved in January.
Good month.

Final shots of the Carrotwood Maori:

On 2007-01-31 10:50, Cammo wrote:
Hey, I like the Dante referance, but why not just call this thread "House of Buzz"? It's becoming its own website, a place to hang out like a little neighborhood bar.

Where it's always Hapy Hour...I thought about changing the title of my thread at the start of the new year. But, some days I post about 8 times and work on three different projects at the same time. I think everyone pretty much knows I constantly update and am always working, so I do not "advertise" what's up. And if I forgot to update my title, would peole stop checking in?

On 2007-01-31 09:33, GROG wrote:
Wow, your well doesn't run dry. Seems like you have endless supply of tikis waiting to come out of your chisels.
Did you sell GROG's moai, or did you give it to your mom?

If only my hands could move as fast as my mind does.
YOUR moai is still sitting here...
Mom's in NoCal training with Ceaser Gracie, for the Tong Hut Tournament.

On 2007-01-31 07:20, Babalu wrote:
Tight Buzz!
As I gaze towards your place the clouds seem to be breaking? Fingers crossed for a shiny weekend.

Hey Babalu. Thanks. I also meant to get in touch with you about some stain and stuff...Got a big pile and some samples to show how the colors turn out on the fan palm. As if you didn't have enough on your plate.

On 2007-01-31 06:58, Benzart wrote:
Excellent piece Oh BuzzMaster, I Knew you had it in you! Sunsets are coming along beautifully too. :) :) :)

In me, yes. Getting it out was the tough(fun) part. Can't take credit for the sunsets though. I just point and shoot...

On 2007-01-30 19:35, 4WDtiki wrote:
Damn that looks good! Now you'll have to do ALL of them. [buzzy says :o ] :wink:

Is that just stain, or burned and stain?

I noticed that if I didn't sand it well, the stain got much darker on this wood. What I did was leave certain areas rough or less sanded to create the differences in tone. You guys can see how I do it on the Director's Cut version of the Buzzmaster DVD. $39.95

On 2007-01-30 19:11, hiltiki wrote:
I say it turned out just right.

I like this one. Thanks Hiltiki!

Damn long post.
Buzzy Out!

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, Jan 31, 2007 4:24 PM

On 2007-01-31 16:02, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Grog's Moai and all the little stuff I carved in January.

I don't mind giving up my Moai to Grog now that I have MY new little Maori guy! :)

Zaya

On 2007-01-31 16:24, Zaya wrote:

MY new little Maori guy! :)

Mom got sniped! She's not even home from work yet.

GROG: Okay. I'm cutting down the list one at a time. Two more to go... We can still have two headliner fight card for two pieces, if you guys prefer.

Buzzy Out!

B

Buz,

That would be extra cool if I could come take a peak at some of your stained palm samples...it would sure save me some time on this wedding thing.

Just got home from work...still cloudy on my side, but I can see the moon and a few stars poking through - hope the weather dudes are right.

Babalu

H

Nice butt on that last piece. Yes........

Buzzy I like the whole Family!!! There is nothing better than a cluster of Tiki's. I have to agree with hiltiki that last one has an amazing ass!!!

Final rain tally was .75 inches
I owe you guys a yesterday's sunset

Paid in full, with interest

Today

Tiki Stuff:
Stained this guy today. My camera has never liked the lighting in my garage

Flash is worse though. At least you can see that it is two tone

Look at all that dust on my camera lens

Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 6:33 PM

GROG send Buzzy PM.

C

Wow! This last guy is great, that hole at the middle of his head, is incredible! Congrats!

Hey, Thanks Clarita. welcome back to TC.

Here he is in better light, to show the two tone a little better

About 1/4 of the way into carving this piece, I decided to try to make it look like one of these from the side. The idea just popped into my head and I ran with it. It was important though, to make the front appear "normal"

Close up face. Somehow, darkening this made it appear to be more rounded and soft

I'm gonna make this guy shiny...

Buzzy Out!

TD

buzzy that maori turned out GREAT i would say nearly perfect. i actually dont know what else to say besides it is amazing

H

Buzzy would be nice if you could make a huge one of the last one. It is a great design.

On 2007-02-02 22:29, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy would be nice if you could make a huge one of the last one. It is a great design.

Funny you should say that...
I was looking at this picture after I posted it and said to myself:" Self, that would make a neat looking little pendant. Self, you should carve a flat little pendant and then get all those SD guyz making molds to teach you how to do that..."

A big one would be cool too...I know you're a sucker for tikis with "dimension"

Other Tiki news:
I sanded and stained this little guy. This one was a test for the next one I carved. many times I have tried a trial run on an idea for a complex design element for a big tiki on a smaller and simplier tiki before hand. Always trying to get better...
This one may not be the best tiki on its own, however, it lays the groundwork for future work that will hopefully be better than this.
I used a cherry stain on this one. I left about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch of the bark on a few parts of the tikis surface. I did this because it makes for some neat variances in the tone on the different parts of the wood. Otherwise, it would be a little plain and monochromatic. It's just a fancy way to say I let the wood do all the work...

Looks neat. Tikis are startin to pile up around here again. I have 5 cool looking Hawaiian influenced tikis in my living room. Finished tikis outnumber unfinished tikis again. Three more to sand... but 10,005 more to carve.
It's gonna be a long haul...
Buzzy Out!

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 5:30 AM

Buz,

I'm quite fond of these last two....there is something very unique starting to emerge from the wood. I think that it's this originality that is really attracting me to them...it's like, very Buzz Man. The last one is my favorite...can't wait to see where it leads.

Babalu

PS. What book is that?

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-02-03 05:56 ]

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-02-03 05:57 ]

Buzzy-
You are tearin it up!!! Your latest work is blowin my mind!!! Keep up the great work.

Dude... better and better! I'm envious of the way you continue to evolve and strengthen your style and technique.... Buzz on!

hey there Buzzy, that's some incredibly awesome carving! this is my first post on tc, and will put up some pics of my stuff soon. just can't stop drooling over others'long enough! your volume is killer!

On 2007-02-03 21:41, greentikipat wrote:
hey there Buzzy, that's some incredibly awesome carving! this is my first post on tc, and will put up some pics of my stuff soon. just can't stop drooling over others'long enough! your volume is killer!

Well then greentikipat, let me be the first to officially welcome you to Tiki Central! Of all the thousands of threads covering all of the diverse realms and interests of tiki, coupled with the heaps of talented artists displaying their work here, it is truly an honor to have you speak out on my thread first. Hopefully your life will be enriched after your frst post. Thanks so much and I can't wait to see your work. Post away, my new friend...

Buzzy's House: All are welcome...

To my other tiki friends: Thanks guys! Put me in a good mood all day after seeing this mornings comments.

Been sanding the night away...

I'm tired of the noise though, so I think I'm going to put some clear coats on the other two I just stained. After I got my garage all dusty...

In a perfect world, I would wish the dust away and somehow the government would take care of it for me. They should, I pay sales tax.

Abandon Hope
Buzzy out!

Finished two more last night:

I have ten cans of wild cherry pepsi left, and I ate a bunch of meat today. chances are good that I'll be working late tonight...

I've only watched the UFC three times so far. I've been busy...
Buzzy Out!

Sanded, stained, almost done...

I can finally see what is going on with this one. First picture where the headress actually makes some sense, visually.

Buzzy Out!

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 2:18 PM

Lookin' good, Buzzy! You need to open the Buzzy Museum of Carving.

What did you stain this guy with? I really like how it came out.

Dave

Some smoke in the air and a bunch of car accidents on the road today
Sun went down at around 530...

Meddled with the arms and hands a bit

Just about ready to go back out front.

Tikidav: It's a few coats of cherry stain

Now I have to start sanding the big one in the garage...

Buzzy Out!

On 2007-02-05 14:18, Tikidav wrote:
You need to open the Buzzy Museum of Carving.

I looked into it but had to abandon my dream when I found out how much it would cost to comply with the ADA...
Buzzy

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 6:38 PM

Keep carving man :)

awesome work, that finished lono is fierce.

Instead of a sunset today, the fog turned into dark.

I've been sanding forever and I cannot see any progress...

Buzzy Out!

HOK

Buzzy....thats just awesome...giving me chicken skin with that one, buddy. Can't wait to see more chips fly...Aloha, Freddie

On 2007-02-07 00:20, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Can't wait to see more chips fly...Aloha, Freddie

Hey Freddie! Sorry to disappoint you, but I got zero done today(tikiwise) :(
Stay tuned though, I think I have a free day tomorrow.

I did manage to catch the sunset:

My dog took a nap after she went and terrorized the school children walking home from school today. She was hoping for a first grader because they are slower, but she had to go the extra mile and chase down a sixth grader because she slept through the first bell.

Tomorrow she's going to follow the mailman and take out any dogs that bark at him because I'm expecting some important mail. The mail must go through. My dog is an American hero...

Is`it wrong to plan a nap tomorrow before I even go to bed tonight? How about if I tell you I plan on sleeping in too? I'll probably have insomnia anyway...

A manana...

Cheers all...
Buzzy Out!

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 8:16 AM

Awwwwww, there's my best friend! I hope she's comfy enough! Hey, it was trash truck day too, no wonder she slept throught the first bell! What a busy day she had. It's a good thing she can sleep in this morning, and finally get some rest. Here's my favorite picture of best friend and I.

See you tomorrow best friend! Oh yeah, you too Buzzy! :)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 6:32 PM

Buzzy is number 2 :) Maybe if he didnt sleep so much he would be higher...

I missed the best part of the sunset today. Here is the worst part...

The temperature is just low enough for it to be uncomfortable to sand in the garage tonight. I have two 16" fans that I place behind me to blow all the dust away from me, and it makes it just a bit too intolerable when the temperature dips. I felt like making some chips anyway...
This piece of wood had this tiki stuck in it. I've been trying to dig the rest of him out before he suffocates.

This grain is everywhere- real twisty in spots.

It's a drier piece of ficus with a couple of cavities and cracks. I mean I'm going for that aged look on this one. It's my plan...

Buzzy Out!

Boss was on my ass. Had to work late tonight. Missed all my good friends on shout...

To top it all off, I misplaced my remote, and for the last three hours, alternating infomercials of extendz and Girlz gone Wild have been on. Right about the time I cannot take another second of extendz testimonials, back come those naughty wild girls. I usually carve during commercial breaks when good shows like Inside the UFC are on, but for the Girls gone wild show, the commercials are for girls gone wild.

Here is my Benzart inspired photo of Tiki Cuddle Buddies:

Buzzy Out!

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Feb 9, 2007 2:58 AM

Awwwwwww. Tiki Love! They are so cute buzz! Nice chops!

Mahalo

McTiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies