Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

My new wood pile:

Bingo!
Thanks again Ben
Here are my latest practice log explorations:

Buzzy Out!

B

Looks like you are goin' Soft on us!

H

Buzzzzzzzzy? what's up with the new logs????? they are completely different from the other ones.....

Hiltiki: I bought 8, 2x2x24" pieces of basswood. As Ben said, I'm going "soft"...

Speaking of hard: This is hard wood and it was hard to punch the mouth through

it's hard to see:

Back

I'm Going Soft But I Can Throw A Football Through A Tire Buzzy Out!

H
haikai posted on Thu, Nov 2, 2006 2:34 AM

Congratulation Bay Park Buzzy! Your last tiki is very spezial! Cool form!
I think you are one of the most busiest carver on TC. It´s crazy!
How many Tikis do you create per month? Keep it up!

On 2006-11-02 02:34, haikai wrote:
#1 Congratulation Bay Park Buzzy! Your last tiki is very spezial! Cool form!
#2 I think you are one of the most busiest carver on TC. It´s crazy!
#3 How many Tikis do you create per month? Keep it up!

Haikai: Greetings my German friend!
#1 I like it when someone gives me a compliment on my work. I think it's even better when a carver likes my work. But, to have my work noticed by a top notch carver is a spezial feeling indeed. You are a top rate carver and it means a lot to hear this from you. thank you.
#2I've been carving for just a little over a year now, here's most of what I've done in that time, without all he bothersome english on my thread
#3 I think it averages one tiki a week. I carve for several weeks, sand and finish for a week or two, and then start over again, and again, and again...

My house was a mess...no carving update.
here was the sunset though,

Cleaning Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-11-03 05:26 ]

B

Hey Buzzie, Love the sunsets you are posting, nice to spread some of that Socal Cheer around.
That link you have o All your carvings Really shows that you have Really been Buzzing around there being very busy. There are a Lot of carvings there and most of them are vert top knotch and the rest are better yet. You have coma a Long way in a short amount of time.See? If you Practise, practice, practise, you will get better and better.
You and the hook knife is strange for sure.

H

On 2006-11-01 17:16, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Hodadhank: I have a better offer: For every 4 logs you husk, you keep 4 logs...I'll see you soon.
[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-11-01 17:18 ]

You drive a hard bargain Buzz! Very generous.
Hey, I can probably even lash 'em together and paddle 'em across the bay to my house and save on gas money!

I'll PM ya next week.

Mahalo - Hodaddy

TD

buzzy you too good man, you too good. man great to see your stuff again. i was...well i guess you could say absent for a little while. but im glad to be back looking at all your stuff again.

Today's sunset:

Been cleaning logs lately...

Lots of big stuff to come...

That Buzz Is Me Working Buzzy Out!

My continuing quest to become a better carver has me studying all types, shapes and styles of carvings. Here are this week's study materials, salvaged from locales throughout the immediate area:
I like this picture

is that the kahlua tiki decanter I heard about. I cannot tell.

back of the tall maori carving

and these were cheap and kind of cool

I was going to put this on collecting, but I want my legions of fans to have the convenience of one stop Buzzy post viewings. Thank you for disregarding this if you came here for carving information.

Carving stuff:
Still cleaning logs too...

Sunny Sunday Breeze Buzzy Out!

B

Excellent finds and great carving studies. Thanks for postting.

Benzart: I've been a sponge lately...Looking at every type and style of tiki carving that I can find. It's been fun.

Today's sunset:

I really wanted to see this guy finished, so I'm finishing him

Sanding into the Night Buzzy Out!

T

Sunsets: a nice touch! But the work is very nice... keep all of 'em coming! Maybe we need a sunset picture thread, from various parts of the world...hmmm

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-11-05 21:55 ]

H
haikai posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 2:07 AM

hey tikigap, that´s a great idea! "A sunset picture thread"
I think Buzzy will post the loveliest pictures on these thread.
At this time, is a realy shit weather at my hometown.
Always wetness, coldness and fog! Not the best weather for Tiki carving!

Buzzy, that´s a realy beautiful Tiki collection you have!

On 2006-11-06 02:07, haikai wrote:
At this time, is a realy shit weather at my hometown.
Always wetness, coldness and fog! Not the best weather for Tiki carving!

We're quite the opposite here. It's been 25 degrees C the last couple of days. It's just over 20 C today, and it's technically winter. The weather is changing slightly: There is a marine layer coming in today. That means it is foggy at the beach right now. In a couple of hours, it will be foggy at my house too. Some say that Mai Tais help make the weather warmer...

Tikigap: We only have sunsets like this about 30 days a year. The rest of the time, the sun just goes behind the water with no clouds and it just gets dark. I'm taking advantage of it while I can. thanks and enjoy!

I almost finished sanding this guy. I just got back from the home center, where I purchased the necessary stains to complete him.

I gave my tiki fight club army new recruits a makeover. Later today, they will all register ebay accounts and drive up the price of all available vintage tiki mugs. They want to collapse the mug market by driving up prices, and driving potential future consumers away from the mug market. More money for wood tikis in the tiki marketplace!!! Hooray for the tiki fight club!!! Down with coco monkeys and mugs!!

These volunteers will occupy tiki bars throughout the tiki world and report back on how to effectively bring about the mug market depression. This is a very important fight club assignment, and they are very brave. Feast your eyes on the newest group of true tiki heroes:

They all have hidden cameras and microphones in them with the capbility of wireless transmissions.

It's Not Work if You Make it Fun!
Buzzy Out!

B

I Knew it all along, you have been having fun and NOT Working. Making us all look bad, like this tiki carving is fun and play. Now they will never believe it is real work and Everyone is gonna want to learn how to carve tikis and have FUN!

I put the pretty color on this guy tonight. Oh! Pretty, Pretty Color!:

Tomorrow I heap on the clear so it will be all shiny and pretty, and then I will never think of this tiki again in my life. I like pretty things.

Got a few more signs to do also. Here's one I did when I was pretty sick of sanding and needed a break:

Oh you pretty thing...

Pretty Tired Buzzy Out

B

BayPark, yes the sign is pretty, and the big tiki you are finishing is coming out really great. I still can't help but ask what kind of terrible disease he has there between his legs although I Know it's his Toesies. Just kinda makes me shudder. Still, Excellent tiki with excellent staining.
Go to sleep now

They don't look like toes to me. More like Body Manipulation. What was the dudes name...Fuckar? Cut his thingy in half?

Anyway, Bay Park, what do you do with all the sawdust? (Mix with resin and pour into tiki molds?)

Rock on!

I give up. You guys win.
Here is my tiki with the c@#* between his legs. Everybody look at the c@#!!!
I'm going to call this guy "Big C@#
Tiki: The Tiki with the Big C@#!"
Enjoy all you c@#
lovers!

I'm an ass man myself, but I like this c@#* tiki a lot.

On 2006-11-09 08:30, RevBambooBen wrote:
What do you do with all the sawdust? (Mix with resin and pour into tiki molds?)

Molds are a good idea, anybody know how to do that ?
For now though, I just dump it in the storm drain and let it wash out into the bay. It's starting to clog up though. We either need some rain soon or I need to light it on fire.
That's what you hippies get for passing that clean air act back in the early 90's. My money that used to go to filling up landfills now goes to my biannual smog check instead. Breathe deep and enjoy your swim in lovely Mission Bay Park, dirtbags!

When I Walk Upon the Earth, I Leave No Footprints Buzzy Out!

B

C'mon, Molds are EASY. Just set an open loaf of bread on the kitchen counter and after a day you have your Mold--Eazy!
I don't know what you're talkin about, that guy has feet and Toes??
Hmm.

Tiki Dur-a-flame-age!

You'de make Mils.

p.s. ruined another keyboard!! damn you!! Too Funny!!

pss. Benz....maybe in Fl but we live in the desert here. Leave bread out here and it turn to crouton!!

peesssss. Both of you keep it up! Make me ruin another keyboard laughing, and I'm gonna invoice yous pretty soon!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-11-09 19:20 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 7:26 PM

C@#*!?? GROG thought they were B@LLS.

B

Yo BenBoo, While you be here, post some pix of your stuff, show the guyz you still create. Though I don' wan no tikis with funny lookin ballz down there that look funny or nuthid, Big, bloody, manly, all is OK, no piercin and choppin an goin in different directions. Show us da guud stuuf

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 7:34 PM

Don't provoke the BEAST.

On 2006-11-09 19:29, Benzart wrote:
Yo BenBoo, While you be here, post some pix of your stuff, show the guyz you still create. Though I don' wan no tikis with funny lookin ballz down there that look funny or nuthid, Big, bloody, manly, all is OK, no piercin and choppin an goin in different directions. Show us da guud stuuf

Soon but not on Bay Parks behalf. My zzzzzzzzzz button is ruined. It keeps sticking.

I want to carve Grogs head with burner 6,000.

The OC is on tonight!!! Gearing up!! Gonna be good!

Pabst Rocks!

H

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzy, lets call him Dirk Diggler in Bondage Tiki!

I like them Real housewives of the OC...

You guys hurt this tiki's feelings so now he will only go out in public wearing a mask:

He cannot stand the thought of any more accidental associations between his appearance and male reproductive organs, so he now hides his face to save any future embarrassments.

Mini Tikki #1: My first solo adventure with the hook knife

It's like my first tikki all over again...

Hook Knife Sensei, what do you think?

On 2006-11-09 20:01, Benzart wrote:
Well normally we get pretty good stuff here, but it looks like you forgot how to carve or sumthin, You did all that with a hook knife? Did it come with instructions? Yes? Well read them and start again. I'd let the billy goats have this guy(?) to chew on, THEY Might like it. Come back when you learden how to spell tiki and to carve one

The Curtain Falls...
Encore! Encore! Buzzy Out!(bows)

B

Actually, since I have re-studied it, you Have indeed done an Excellent job, so I'll take all that other junk back.
I think your big tiki (The one that looks so great?) is wearing the mask in the wrong place.
I'll shut up now before I get into trouble.

Benzart: I just cannot pry this hook knife thing from my hand...

I put a lot of detail in it since last night. What do you think?

If you cannot see the progress in my technique, I can tell you that I'm starting to "feel" the improvement.

His mask didn't come with instructions...

Soon to Be Cigar Store Indian Carver Buzzy Out!

B

Yo Bay Bark, Bark on. You will eventually feel like there are No Other tools other than the hook knife. When you get used to it and find out all the things it can do so well, you'll wonder how you ever got on without it. Unfortunately it doesn't cut rock or Jade or real hard woods. Really I'm glad you are doing so well with it. Just the fact that you are doing whole pieces with it and they are Not all stained blood red, means you are getting there. Way to go.
Of course that close-up picture really shows too much detail.

Yeah, all kidding aside, I'm having fun with this:

It's about 4 inches from chin to the top of the head and the wood was 1 1/2" wide before carving into it.
A new blister on the one spot on my hand without a callus will end today's hook knife explorations.

On to the big stuff...

Big Stuff Buzzy Out!

B

One spot? Yes, time to get some green "Carvers tape" you can get it HERE
Its great to wrap tools and fingers/thumbs.
Mind your lessons with that Hook blade, Remember??
The tiki is looking good. In time you will be able to get a clean line without the dandruff at the bottom of the "V" line. keep it up

Today's sunset was quite spectacular:

Signs done today:

I'm introducing a budget line of tiki bar signs. Pictured on top is the non tiki tiki bar sign. If you buy this sign,you must buy a seperate tiki too, to make your bar a real tiki bar. It does, however, have rope. The bottom one is another model with tikis on it. The beauty of the one on the bottom is that you can put it in any environment and it immediately makes it a tiki bar. It's kind of like an instant tiki bar kit. The choice is yours. Choose wisely, you wouldn't want someone to post a picture of your bar on a thread and call it untiki. It takes a lot of specific crap to make a real tiki bar. Look at the book that shall not be mentioned by me by title and Start shopping!

One more of the sunset:

No More Parties This Weekend Happy Buzzy Out!

buzzy man that looks great! thats your first mini?? wow does it look good though. i can never just make a tiki with just the hook blade. i cant get it working good. should i sharpen it or get a new one?

great stuff

Another day, another sunset...

I saw this HIP at the swap meet today. It had a similar groin affliction as the Dirk Diggler Bondage Tiki. I bought it for that reason alone

Speaking of tiki parts that resemble genitalia:

Benzart: Hey, thanks for the link for the wimp wrap. I notice that it comes in several colors. One will surely match my carving skirt for sure!!! The only part about my hook knife lessons that I recall anymore is the part where I say, "You weren't supposed to see that", like all my carving dandruff and other mistakes. as long as I'm not cut and bleeding, I'm doing better than I expected at this point...Practice, practice, practice

Tikiduddy: It will never hurt to sharpen your tools. Two of the only things about the hook that i now know: #1 If I were handed a hookknife and a piece of wood and told to get to it without instruction, I would never be able to figure it out. Benzart showed me a good technique and how to approach the medium, and without his guidance, I would have lost a finger or two trying to discover it on my own. #2 Might be the tool itself. I bought a crappy hook knife kit and there would be no way I could do this with the blades that came with it. Benzart recommends the 10b detail carving blades available at Warren Cutlery, along with the wood handle blade holder. I think the setup with three blades was about $13.
Benzart: Did I miss anything?

What Do I Know About Hookknives Buzzy Out!

B

Well Hell, Now you know it ALL, Except to get the Nice Thin blades, you have to go into the industrial knife section at Warren and order part 9B where you get 3 choices, Hard, Medium and Limber(we're talking about knife blades here kidz) and you want the 9B Limber, They are the Thin, Flexible blades that cut soi sweetly. Unfortunately you have to buy 144 of them for 92$ Do the math, it's way better than 3 blades for $3.28. 144 at that pice would be $154.00, so do the math, its a good deal.

Other than that you Know it all and now all you have to do is get that experience under your belt and you will truely be a Hook Master, Yeaaayy! Once you go through the course and don't cut off a finger, then you start to develop your own style to get thions one and that is where you are today. Keep up the good work.
I will split some blades with someone?

Little guy, lots of time...

He looks taller when I move the camera down...

Buzzy Out!

Now you see it...

...now you don't!

Just a couple more marks to go

I was just carrying this outside to take a picture, and I noticed a sun spot through the arm. It was then I decided to carve out the space, since I was so close

I need to clean a lot of it up, and more importantly, improve my technique so I do not have so much to clean up and/or fix.

I like the way the arms came out. I've always felt like carving arms were my one of my major weakness. One finger is too skinny though. I think he lost it in a hook knife accident.

I actually worked on sanding a large piece today. It was so big I got exhausted after only twenty minutes. More later...

Full of Burrito Buzzy Out!

K
kirby posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 5:23 PM

great work buzzy,I to am now adicted to the hook knife...Im workin on some nice blisters/calisis...but what a blast..keep it up...kirby

I had just finished hand staining this when I looked at the can of stain and thought, "Hey, I could just dunk this in there..."
Next time.

This time:

Kirby: The hook definitely has its advantages. I'm looking into having one attached as an extension to my arm, but only about 9" long. Kind of like "Buzzy HooknifeHands." It's not as bad as those first couple of hours at okix2 were.

On 2006-11-12 20:47, Benzart wrote:

Other than that you Know it all and now all you have to do is get that experience under your belt and you will truely be a Hook Master, Yeaaayy! Once you go through the course and don't cut off a finger, then you start to develop your own style to get thions one and that is where you are today. Keep up the good work.

Benz, you forgot to call Buzzy, Grasshopper!

You guys are arrrrrsome!

B

OK. Yes now Grasshopper go out and multiply, jump into a lawnmower a few times and that'll about do it

Finished this guy last night:

That spot on the photo is rain. Yes, RAIN!

In San Diego, we call this bad weather. Accidents on the freeway and people call in sick to work because of the elements. My backyard is flooded from all the rain. See this haikai, we have bad weather too. It's about 19 C, so I can still wear shorts and a tshirt all day, but look at how wet everything is...

And I was planning on carving outside all day...
Where did I leave my hookknife?

Benzart: "Grasshopper" I can hang with, but if try to hit me with that stick one more time, your current physical afflictions will seem like the "good old days". And as for the grass, if I leave it long enough, won't some sort of Florid plague bug eat it all, or will it catch on "fire" and smolder away...You're old now anyway, shouldn't you get rid of that grass and put in acres of landscaping rocks? Be tiki, go lava...Look out for Paipo rummaging through your yard for raw materials, he'll beat you to all the good stuff

Speaking of Paipo, Hey, check out what my friend bought for me this weekend:

Hangin' in the Monsoon Buzzy Out!

P

Nice scores Buzzy - tikis are good but the hula girl penholder is sweeet. Gotta love faux woodgrain finishes! You must be getting quite a collection of these together now?

I'm diggin the little basswood guy. It seems you like the hook knofe - here's a suggestion - Once you get the big cuts done with the Hook switch over to a straight blade for smoothing and detail. I have found that the hooked blade can stray from where I want it to go on the small cuts. Also try using a lighter stain on that Basswood - it reacts really nice with the grain and gives a cool variation of tones.

B

Yes Grasshopper, I am old and my yard is filled with landscape rocks and mulch so that the grass has Nowhere to live, Sherry doesn't have to cut it that way. When you come down, bring the Biggest Stick you can handle, you will need it for the big carving we'll do to it.. Don't pay no attention to that AS guy, stick to the hook, you don't need no straight blades messin up your work.
Was that really rain there and it made your sawdust move around into little swirs? Cool. Glad to see you doing so well with the hook but really AS is right, there are times when it pays to go straight., But you know that

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies