Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

BambooBen: The June gloom went away for a while this afternoon.

A few clouds were lingering to help the sunset

Sun means sunsets, which means pitures like:

I took this photo from my armchair tonight

I was quite comfortable

Started barstool #2 today. Here it is with some more progress on the first one too

A little progress

And how it is now:

Pablus: You'll have to give me a couple more days notice now so that Hiltiki can swing by too. Let me know if I need to pick anything up for you for your stay. So far as camping under that carving tarp, I think the longest I spent living under it was about five weeks. I have two extra guest rooms, but if you would like, you will find the outside area quite pleasant to stay in, as I did on several occasions. I think the fireworks will start every night in another week for entertainment too. We'll take care of some logs, sing some songs, and have a few drinks.

Buzzy Out!

Doing a little more on the second barstool today:

Day started out sunny, but here comes that June gloom.

Buzzy Out!

No sun at sunset today. Here's another donated Costa Rica sunset for entertainment purposes:

Started the third chair. Had to prep another log for it today because the first one split:

Little early progress:

As it got dark:

Buzzy Out!

Another Costa Rican Sunset:

Just a few minutes more work on each and I'm done with these 3 barstools:

I'm going to go sit in traffic now

Buzzy Out!

It's officialy tourisrt season!

The first airplane with a giant banner just buzzed our hut!

Not that it has anything to do with tikis but it did buzz.

buzzy, the bar stools are looking damn good! get some good ass groves in them? yea i like having my computer work again.
looks great

Memorial Day Sunset:

And a bonus from yesterday:

that one sucks!

Slight progress on the three this afternoon:

mostly sanding. Spent the close to the whole day looking for my rotary sander yesterday. Well, mostly spent napping, but I did spend awake time searching. Got upset that my house was in slight disarray, so I started cleaning it. Then I found the sander and stopped cleaning. I'll clean next time I lose something important. Losing my wallet or keys in my house usually makes me clean it. We'll see.

I really need to do some yardwork. And finish some tikis. And make more tikis...
Buzzy Out!

Hey Buzzy,

Here's a small tip that might help in the future.

I spray paint all my tools florescent pink. Haven't lost one in years!

B

Dammit Man, Look what I Miss whan I don't come around for a coupla daze. These 3 guys are pretty cool looking. I Likee.
Of course the sunsets are as great as usual!

Hey Benzart, here's yesterday's sunset shots for ya:

I finished the carving part of all the barstools today

As I will now show you, these are not just a matching set of 30" logs that people will sit on, they are in fact hand crafted items of leisure furniture.

These feature my patent pending ass dents for comfort(c)..

and the patent pending slide up hand molded curved comfort edge(c)

Each chair features dinstinct decorative differences:

It's pretty breezy right now, so I have to wait until later to burn these.
Why not take them into the garage to do it you ask? Don't ask! All I'll say is it wouldn't have mattered what color my sander was, I still tore apart the garage looking for it without luck. Devastation lies in the wake out there.
Now back to recreational carving...

Buzzy Out!

Ah...nice subtle differences, sweet.

H

Buzzy should I be looking for your sander in my backyard????

A little sunset action:

and the sunset through a cactus flower:

Worked on the mouth on this guy:

CheekyGirl: Very subtle...
Hiltiki: No, I lost it a week ago, but didn't know it until I looked for it on Friday to bring over to your house. I gave up on Friday, and looked again on Sunday. I finally found it, but I made a mess looking for it.

Buzzy Out!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 3:32 AM

Buzzy,

Nice progress on this guy. I've been following him closely from the start. I like where you are taking him. He looks like you are putting much more effort into him than in past pieces. I can't wait to see more. I likee.

Impressed Gman out...

Hey G. It's a nice piece of wood, so I thought it deserved something better than usual. It's also taking a while because I'm pretty much doing it all hookknife, and it's a little large for tool that small.

I was too tired at 3am to post the progress:

All i did was all those little pyramids around the eyes, and it took a little time to do it.

Buzzy Out!

Lunch time update:

Burned two of the three so far.

Union says I get one hour off site.

I'll be back in time for a break.
Buzzy Out!

Sunset at Bamboo Ben Tonight.

Thanks for the sunset BambooBen. All we had was:

I burned the third chair:

And put more pyramids on the back of the eyes on this guy:

Buzzy Out!

H

Yessssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!

Nice detail work on the headdress Buzzy. Nice stuff.
Conga out.

Thanks Conga. That one is one that I haven't minded spending a little extra time on. It's getting pretty close to being finished now.

Speaking of finished, I finished the three barstools today:

I'm finished too.
Buzzy Out

TD

buzzy! the pieces look great! the one in that pose there is one of my favorites. cant wait to see more of em.
ill be checking in

Right on TDuddy! Now get to work... :)

Started a quick one on a half log a couple hours ago:

Here it is now:

The barstools in better light:

Two stools preparing to spend the rest of their lives in this capacity:

Stools by Buzzy, bar by that Arrrr! pirate eye patch guy, and mugs by that one dude in Florida.

One of the B's
Buzzy Out

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 5:04 PM

Its either, you bring the wood chips and tikis into your house or your lazyboy outside. Either way, you probably always feel at home. Love that big tiki around your neck in the event photo. Sorta 80s tiki rap.

TD

Buzzy, the bar stools look great, really like em. looking forward to seeing more work on the new piece you got there.

H

Buzzy your work is looking realy good.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2007-06-05 22:38 ]

B

Nice barstools there Buzzy, oh yeah the Mugs Are Cool too! Not bad for someone who doesn't collect mugs,!! Keep on improving your skills and I'll have to get lessons from you soon just to keep up. :) :) :)

No sunset yesterday, but this flower bloomed:

We had a little sun for a sunset today:

I finished this tiki yesterday:

And I'm almost done with today's tiki:

Tiki a day keeps the doctor away...

Teakey: Once I put the indoor outdoor carpet out there too, it was just like home sweet home, at home! You just get off restriction, or something?
TDuddy: Man, you got some trees in your neighborhood. You live in a forest or something? Rock on stoner!
Benzart: Those mugs were placed there by me for display purposes only, to model how one can easily slip into a tiki environment with only a few simple props. I had to make sure that only the very best and finely crafted work was to be displayed in that picture. Glad your stuff made the cut too. :wink:
Hiltiki: .

I went to the vet today with my dog and I still smell like cat pee. I think it's on my clothes. In a couple days, my own stink will conquer the cat stink, and I will not hate cats as much as I do now.
And I caught a cold from somewhere, so I hate sick people too.

Buzzy Out!

Today's sunset:

It made one of those green dots when it set

I finished yesterday's tiki yesterday. Here it was today with my growing sanding line:

I didn't get to carve a tiki today because I had to do dumb stuff during the day. But this evening, I got to hang out with some baby lions.
This lion walked in and went right to sleep:

This lion liked to play:

This lion wanted to eat, and he knows he gets fed on the table. Little lions can growl already.

But, this is a tiki site, so look at the tiki in the background instead of the lion.

I fed a lion for the first time in my life today:

I'll try and make a tiki tomorrow. There will be no lions interrupting me.
Buzzy Out!

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2007 5:53 AM

Buzz, you lucky dog!! That is just the coolest!! The picture of you feeding the lion is a framer for sure.

T

JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR!!

HOK

Damn, Buzzy...Looks like an episode of Wild Kingdom....just waiting for Marlin Perkins to start calling for Jim to help him with the large snake that just pulled him down :) Owls and Lions....never know whats next on the House of Buzz!! Don't touch that dial folks, same Bat time, same Bat channel. Freddie

TD

Damn buzz man, them tikis are looking gooood! a bit jealous with the lion thing there, im a fan of the wild cats.
carve on buzzy!
cant wait for more

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2007 2:53 PM

Which one is Buzzy? The hairy one or the other one?

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2007 3:01 PM

Those lava-inspired Lonos are awesome Buzzy. I'm digging the lion man pics too - you look like the kid who got all the candy in that last one. Those guys are so cute with their spotty coats!
What's the connection with the lions and the tiki environment? Some sort of tiki-themed animal park?

Yesterday's sunset:

Today's sunset:

Here's today's tiki:

My dog had surgery yesterday so I had to watch her and couldn't make a tiki. She's doing much better, but I have to keep her in the house for another couple days. more tiki stuff tomorrow.

Paipo: Here's some info about the baby lions:
Lion link
They were having a fund raiser at a tiki store here in San Diego for the lions that day. A while back, I also set up a party for another fund raiser they had at the actual cat sanctuary. Somewhere on this thread there are some pictures of tigers I took there that day.

Hey Freddie: On today's Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, we have the tiki eating rabbits!

They are cute , cuddly, and quite nice! (if you are not a tiki)

But look what happens when the tikis are added to the rabbits environment:

I believe it is not natural for rabbits to do this, but it is a learned behavior instead. Initially, the little guy was fine with the whole tiki scene. But then he started to listen to the big rabbit and he has had a problem with tikis ever since.

It's a good thing tikis do not bleed

Next week on Buzzy's Wild Kingdom:

The crazy ferret who bites cameras!

Buzzy Out!

B

I Always knew that place of yours was a zoo! The baby lions were Awesome and you looked like you were on cloud 9 feeding them. What an experience that few of us even Dream about. If it was me feeding them I would be losing a few fingers then an arm, then,,? coool Tikis in the rabbit basket too, was it messy when they ate the rabbits? glad you didn't show that part.
Why don't you loosen up a bit and have some fun once in awhile?

Hey Benzart: I cannot stop and have fun because I'm too busy working. They need to change the way the word "work" sounds, and make it sound more like "fun" does. Then at least I would be happy knowing that work sounded like fun. And if it sounds like fun, I'll try it!

Yesterday was a "work" day. Doesn't sound like much fun, does it?
I had to climb up and down a ladder all morning to take pictures of a bunch of woven grass.

I was noticing how underutilized San Diego Mission Bay Park is during the week, so now I think we should sell the whole bay to the developers. As long as they provide subsidized or low income housing, that is. I'd also like a Burger King closer to my house.

Then I made a new version for my custom sign line:
This one had to be bigger, because the customer confused the concept of a sign with an informative pamphlet.

I had to bump the frame up to 3" bamboo so the tikis would sit on a base that looked good.

Then the lettering. I used the vinyl sticker machine for this part.

Back to work, unless I start having fun, that is.
Buzzy Out!

Nice sign B, can't wait to see more custom work :) Freddie

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-06-13 01:06 ]

Tuesday sunset:

Today:

Buzzy Out!

H

:music: :music: Sunrise... :music: Sunset... :music: :music:

What you been up to lately Buzz?

B

:) :) :)

Sunset:

On 2007-06-16 22:33, Tornhalo wrote:
What you been up to lately Buzz?

Well, started the weekend by decorating the beach:

Beautiful day out here on Friday

I made zaya help me tear down the hut as the waves tried to wash us away later that night.

And I also did some tiki work too...
Sanded and stained this one:

And these:

Just have to seal 'em now.

Brought four more logs home today. More tikis coming soon!
Also: Did some follow up filming for the second video last week. It is now in the post production stage. Stay tuned!
And I did some some yard work and made Zaya help me do that too. I took her to Wendy's drive thru as a thank you.
And I did the dishes...
A nap was in there too, as well as pop's day festivities.
I think were all caught up.

I'm going to go do something now so I'll have something to talk about.
Buzzy Out!

On 2007-06-12 12:33, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Nice sign B, can't wait to see more custom work :) Freddie

Well then Freddie, here you go!

It may not be as exciting as other signs, but imagine yourself with the runs. Because then, it would be the most important sign in the world to you, and when you finally found it, it would be the most beautiful sign you could lay your eyes on also.

Behold the beautiful restroom sign!

And I put a coat of clear on these guys while I was out today.

Now I got some crap to do around the house.

I like to tell people: It's not the Mexican food you ate at 2:05 am that made you sick, it was the ten cocktails you had from 10pm to 2 am that actually made you sick.
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jun 18, 2007 5:33 PM

Buzz Buzz -

What was the stain used on the little dark one in the middle? I'm still looking for a really dark, almost black stain. That one has a nice red look, too.

Are you cranking these out on one of those 3D design machines? You're not human, Buzz! How did you get your carving superpowers - some kind of Nuclear Toxic Gamma Ray accident?

Sunset:

Sanded and stained this guy:

Just gotta wait overnight while the stain dries and then seal it tomorrow.

On 2007-06-18 17:33, Cammo wrote:

What was the stain used on the little dark one in the middle? I'm still looking for a really dark, almost black stain. That one has a nice red look, too.

Cammo:

I'm going to sand this one after my evening break(union rules) and I'll stain it with some ebony that I have so you can check it out:

How did you get your carving superpowers - some kind of Nuclear Toxic Gamma Ray accident?

It's kind of pathetic, actually. It's no super power: only time. I really have nothing more, or nothing else better to do with my days.

No Life Buzzy Out!

Mr. Buzz,

Ever try using Tar and Gasoline??

That's what Eli used to use. He sold it to Bob and Leroy back in the early daze for like ten bucks a gallon! Next time you are at OA ask them the story!!! It's classic!

Was just thinkin' you being close to Mex and all.....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies