Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

Tiki #30: The rubber match
Each new tiki I make, I give myself another secondary goal, aside from the design, to further develop my skills. For this one, I wanted to carve the whole thing as smooth and precise as possible, leaving as little sanding as possible to be done later.
For the design, I redid tiki #5/14, but larger, on a real good log. I wanted to also see how much better I was now, with a few tikis under my belt, than I was the first time I tried this design. I didn't use my old tiki for reference, I did this one based upon how I thought it should be. I wanted to get it right before I moved on from this design forever. I couldn't stand looking at the #5 version because of all the mistakes, version #14 was too small...
Here it goes...

Drawn out, blah, blah, blah

face finished...

next to old one

done

finished with clear

What i learned:

1. I got a little bit better since the first time I carved on a mexi fan palm.
  2. I really didn't have an idea to carve when I started this one, so I spent a couple of days polishing my skills instead of waiting for inspiration. It was time well spent and I ended up with a pretty cool tiki too.

After this, I started to carve all of the time. The next one was the first one that I carved at night in my house, in my living room. I'm getting real close to catching up with where I came into Tiki Central now...

H

Hi Buzzy welcome to TC. Love your stuff, keep carving and keep us posted.....:wink:

Tiki #31: Inspired by Van Gogh
I remember going up to the Getty Museum in LA a few years back(LA=everything north of camp pendelton to oxnard in my mind). While I was there, I luckily got to see whatever Van Gogh they had for about three or four minutes without anyone around me. If you've been there, you know what a miracle that is. One of the things that really strikes you when you look at it is the utter perfection of the craft that Van Gogh obtained. There is just this quality of not one thing in a complex relationship of parts that is wrong, misplaced, or not utterly perfect in its decision and execution. Finally seeing a true master's piece, I really understood why some artists are called masters. It looked much better in person than on some chicks calendar in her dorm room, that's for sure.
On tiki #31, I furthered the precise chiseling goal that I set for myself on the last one, and continued to make that my new mo. This time, I kept playing the thought over and over in my head that my chisel was like a paintbrush, and each tap with my mallet was a brush stroke placed upon a canvas. As I struck each and every piece off, I thought of it as a painting, and asked myself if that was the best brush stroke to do, and if it was it right one to make. Van Gogh obviously had this down. The first time-no. After many tries-yes. Message received and understood. Keep trying...
This one was done at night, in my living room. I hated the couple of times that I carved in my garage, so I didn't really do it that much. I remember drawing it up in the evening and it was sitting in front of me by the tv. I kept looking and looking at the log, and the next thing I knew, it was on the floor being carved on the carpet.
Here it is after I started it:

I only carved it on the front half. I was going to leave it like this and split it. Then I thought of another tiki design, and I wanted to see how to engineer a more complex headress. This picture shows the front 180 of he log

When I run low on logs, all my tikis will be on one half of the log. Now I carved the whole log, because I had too many

I watched American Hot Rod tonight. Guess who was mad? That's right
BURNT!

here it is finished, two colors of stain, and BURNT, of course...

face close up

I was messing around one day, and I set it up like this in my backyard...

I was going to keep it like this, but then I sold two of them...I can always make more. I always do...
What I learned

1. I can sell my tikis for a fair amount of money in this condition.
  2. I can sell my tikis for a larger amount in a better than this condition.(logical conclusion)
  3. I need to sell more tikis
  4. I need to make better tikis (I always say this)
  5. That design thing that I tested out by carving the back: It will work if I adjust it slightly. I'm glad I tried it when it was less crucial.
  6. Don't leave Tiki Oasis early on Saturday afternoon if your booth is slowing down: I almost did, second guessed myself, and sold this just before the end of the day. The people were out shopping, heard about Tiki Oasis, went on a whim, and bought my tiki-long after I wanted to leave for the day.

Hiltiki: You forgot to ask me if I'm a real fast carver...
Thanks for the welcome!!!
You are so on my Christmas card list this year...
Buzzy

yeah man, they always sell at the end of the show, unless they're small. no one wants to walk around draggin a big tiki.

B

BPBuzzy, that last one you posted was your best! He really looks nice. Congrats on the golf course jobby thing. You don't like the archies homer simpson tikis Haha? You are still showing up with excellent lessons and better carvings, Keep it up.

I like the Lono.. great job! I also really like those little guys on the fence posts in the rainy pic. Can you show us more of those?

that looks really good. keep it comming.

TikiDuddy-Thanks. When I make it big, I'll buy you a better camera...Keep carving man!
The artist formerly known as Doub:Page 8 has the carving part, here's some others I have of them:
They were from the same log

I carved out the backs to fit the hardware

here are the backs

hanger

I ended up putting this on my wall, over a table lamp. I like the way the shadows look

hey i like what i see. good work. what kind of wood are you using there?

By my clock, it's 1:34AM and I'm not tired yet...
Sanded:

I will stain it now. This one is going to be real, real dark.

Stained it

certain fibers on this type of palm do not hold the stain. I like this look..

Have to wait a few hours to coat it with clear
Cannot wait to see it done...Hurry up tomorrow.
Until then, more sanding, sleep,etc.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 3:57 AM

On 2006-07-11 20:45, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I carved out the backs to fit the hardware

Wow! You managed to carve out that space and mount the hanging hardware before you split the log! How about some pics of that? :)

Nice stuff man. This last dark fella really looks good - nice crisp details.

Have to go thoroughly through your thread when Im not on dial up... :)

Keep at it buddy!

On 2006-07-12 03:57, hewey wrote:
Wow! You managed to carve out that space and mount the hanging hardware before you split the log! How about some pics of that? :)

I carved them before I split them too. I had to split them when I noticed that I accidentally made one upside down...I heard that you can do this easily with a hook knife...

Have to go thoroughly through your thread when Im not on dial up... :)

Stop by instead. Got two guest rooms. I'm used to Aussies living here, especially in the summer. I used to spend my summers in south baja surfing, and we'd find more Aussies down there on vacation than Mexicans actually living there. Usually a group or two would follow us up back to the states and stay for the rest of their winter. I remember one time it was like a hostel over here. My roomate(at the time) awoke to a group of Aussies sleeping in their van in front of my house, with their feet sticking out the windows because there were five of them in there with all their stuff. They arrived late at night and didn't want to be a bother. Funny sight, lots of crazy good, pissed fun. You are always welcome...
Thanks for the support, see you soon,
Buzzy

B

Buzzy, be careful, your work is about to become "Respectable". I'm really enjoying watching your progress. These last few tikis are really Sweet. Can't wait until you start carving some Moko. What took you so long to decide to carve tiki? You will be a Master before you know it..

Break time, no time to talk, more work to do. For now,"Thanks all and I love each and every one of you..."
Last step, now complete...

All his friends in the background can't help but admire his new, shiny coat.

A face only a mother could love

I only have eyes for you...(I've been singing all week...)

Nice grain, Baby!

Someday I'm going to get a motorhome, travel across the USA, and meet Tiki people...

The radio is on in the background: Smoking is illegal in San Diego now? It's never been easier to be a criminal...

When I use my tools, I can't hear the radio...
Back To Working Buzzy Out!

My arm is tired...One more fine sanding to go...

Sanding makes me thirsty...

Your work is really getting tight, Buzzy. Like it!

A-A

I hate the fact that I have to wait so long before I can coat this with clear...

This color reminds me of those totally hot Brazilian girls that are all over San Diego this time of year...

AA: What UP! Good to hear from you as always. Glad to see that bump a while back brought you back in the game.I was going to offer up a log or workspace to get you going again if you needed. Grab that Dave guy and head down some weekend...
Buzzy

H

Yeh, getting a nice style to em!

Its a wonder you got any time for your fine lady friend with all this tiki madness taking place...

Hewey: Zaya's on vacation across the country for two weeks. Lots more free time...

I really enjoy seeing this thread always being added too. Amazing work Buzzy.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 13, 2006 1:58 AM

Just went through the whole thread man! Even just looking at the pics there is some great stuff in there - and great tips for newbies too

B

What's the deal, you getting lazy on us? You forgot that guyz other eye. Now he will have to go thru life with peeps asking if he is a cyclops and he will have a severe complex forever!
He looks Cool, is he a cyclops?

On 2006-07-13 05:37, Benzart wrote:
You forgot that guyz other eye. He looks Cool, is he a cyclops?

Ben, Oh My God! I didn't even notice that! Thanks for pointing it out. I feel real dumb right now. I think I solved the problem though...

I'll get back to everyone else after I get done with a quick job this morning...thanks for checking in...
Buzzy

J

You are getting better and better with every tiki. It's been fun watching and reading this thread / journal of your work.

JP

JP: Totally love your marlin fighting pictures. You need your own tv show "Fish on! with JP..." just don't catch and release that one!
Rodeo: Appreciate you stopping by here from time to time...Thanks again.
Now to the work...

I have not really been sanding this one forever, it just feels like it has been...
I carved the back last night. I'm super close to finishing sanding this one now. Thankfully. More later. I actually miss the June gloom today...

T

man buzzy, your tikis keep getting better. i REALLY like this last one you're working on. can't wait to see him finished!!

Tiki5-0: I have been waiting for a long time to see this one too. Cannot wait! Merely hours away...

In the meantime, I took a break from sanding and made these stickers for another tiki

Then I put them on the tiki

This tiki will be used in a kindergarten class to teach the "T" sound

I was going to carve all this stuff in, but then it was decided that after this was done in the classroom, the words would not make much sense, so they would be made as a temporary feature

If you think it is cool that I am doing this for the youth of today, I want to clear something up: I am not doing this for the youth of today. I am doing this for the tiki customers of tomorrow. It's kind of like big companies "branding" the consumer early on in life. Like those candy cigarettes...Except, that I am branding tiki to these youngsters. Hopefully they will grow up and want to buy a tiki, because it will remind them of when they were young and carefree. Hopefully, I'll still be there to sell them one. Carvers should stick around for about 15-20 years until these kids head out and start buying tikis, there will be several hundred tiki fans in and around the San Marcos area wanting a tiki. As a producer of these fine products, I cannot wait...
Buzzy, Builder of Young Minds Out!

H

And these kids would be able to get their PHD by the time they are around 20, thanks to all the soccer moms and dads of today...Yes Buzzy my friend, you will be making a lot of tikis and money at the same time. OMGhiltiki out.

Finished sanding. Lots of pictures because there is much to see...

Upper headress, pain in the ass...

I do not know anything about history. If Hawaii was ever called French Polynesia, then this is a "French" braid. If Hawaii was never under French control, then this is a carving of this type of bread that they sell at a Jewish restaurant in La Mesa...(Save the learn your history rants-this is a joke!!!)

These windows were really hard to do...

Face

Lot of geometry here...

Blurry

I saw that TikiG found a "tribute" piece of his work online recently. Someone please try doing this one, I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I obsessed over almost every detail on this one. Why? I felt I had to...

You really need the right kind of tools to do some of this $#!^

This design's inspiration was based on merging freeways, gridlock, and the realization that they all lead to the same place...

I can't tell what the hell is going on here! Doesn't look tiki to me...

Body-looks plain compared to all that other stuff going on above it...

Little mood lighting...

I learned a whole lot carving this one. I really challenged myself and am happy with the result. There are still a few areas that need improving, like the arms. Most of this was carved about two months ago, and I concentrated on the arms on my next few pieces since then. Always working on my weaknesses...
The whole puzzle is put together one piece at a time; the carving is made by taking away one piece at a time...The yin yang relationship of carving.
My journey continues...

I'm Buzzy, and I'll be appearing here nightly on TC...

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-15 00:48 ]

H

hallah-tiki.

this last one is really nice Buzzy....yer knocking out some great carving. Thanks for all of
the detail pics....
and Ben...is it just my computer or is that the longest post ever?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jul 15, 2006 6:53 AM

I hope you get a lotta bread for the bread-tiki. Keep cookin' em up.

-G

B

This one is really going to be great, although I kinda liked the bread version, mostly because I make french toast with that kind of bread and I'm hungry, Wheres the Bread??
What were you talking about Conga? are you seeing the future?
I have no idea why it was so long, I guess I wanted my space to say nothing if I felt like it I don't know Nutthin.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 15, 2006 9:34 PM

How did you make the stickers?

That new guy is very cool. Love that headress :)

On 2006-07-15 21:34, hewey wrote:
How did you make the stickers?

I use the Roland Stika design cutter

That roland logo reminds me of a friend who used to have a Roland Jazz Chorus amp. Solid state piece of $#!^. My JCM 800 outplayed that thing on 2...
The machine looks like a computer printer and works almost the same way. It has a small blade that cuts through the top layer of the sticker paper and cuts the design that you make on the software

This is the front and back of the sticker paper. The blade will cut through the red and not cut the backing.

After removing the excess by hand(this part sucks to do), you put a backing on the exposed side of the cut design

To apply the sticker, you take off the old backing, stick the whole thing down where you want it, and then peel off the sheet you covered it with

It will leave the cut out design. Viola! You have a sticker. This is how they make all those flower stickers for people's cars. Here is one now...

They are a pain in the ass to do, but another line on my tiki resume looks good...
Building My Reputation Buzzy Out!

I'm losing dialup fans one post at a time...
Sorry, I need this to straighten a few things out

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-17 13:21 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-19 15:58 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 4:25 PM

Great tikis man! Just have to make sure I check out your posts at work... :)

Thanks for the sticker machine info :)

B

Yeah, you have to check out this thread every day or else you will be Way behind. Nice progress and great bunch o'tikis Buzzy. You can get some rest not, but only for a few hours.

About a week ago, I got to redo same grass thatching on the famous Luau hut, which sits in the atrium of the Red Lion. While I was working on it, I noticed that the stacked tikis were actually individual tikis glued and nailed together. Here's the link with the pictures and explanation:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20169&forum=18
The reason I bring this up is this: When I started carving this one a while back, I tried to get credit for 4 tikis carved. Benzart said no, one log one tiki only. I'm going to cut this up, take credit for 4 tikis, and then nail and glue them back together
tiki 1

tiki 2

tiki 3

tiki 4

My sanding pile just got one, oops, four smaller...

H

Buzzy can you please tell me what the dimensions of this last stacked tiki is.

This one is 5'4" tall and is 8" in diameter.
Buzzy

Finished this one too...

Currently working on #41...
Bought a new tool today-I was long overdue for a shop vac and finally bought one. Life is good.
Buzzy

oh HO! good job on those. there looking GOOD. good luck on 41.

Finished this one this morning...

I fluctuated between loving and hating this tiki constantly while making it. I ended up liking it in the end. I really like the shape of the body; this saved it for me. The color turned out cool too. I experimented with a dark walnut stain, using it too light and too dark in places. Overall, I like the effect it produced. They usually darken up a little, and I hope this will show more contrast in the tint of the stains as it ages.
Banging 'em out Buzzy Out!

H

More like spit them out Buzzy to me !!!! :) :) :wink:

B

More good work Buzzy. Keep it up while you got the Buzz. Sooner or later you're gonna slow down and start getting finer detail, but until then, your tikis are truely amazing. Excellent Stuff. I'm starting to sound like a broken record here but thre you are breaking all those records.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies