Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

love the large tiki whats its name i have been drawing one similar
and want to carve one like it it looks pretty tough. Hows it Going?

P

dude you are KILLIN' it with these fence panels...

Awesome fence planks. The details are even better than the Mojave Oasis fence.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Dec 13, 2012 1:35 PM

Buzz, can you carve me something sort of like this by Christmas? I'll pay you at least $70, no foolin:

Maybe you could make it a little fancier.

C

Stopped by the House of Buzz yesterday, Buzzy hasn't been posting lately cause he's carving these massively skillful drum-things.

I'll try to post pics of progress, maybe. No promises 3 days before Christmas.

I too heard a rumor about drum-shaped awesomeness but haven't seen any proof.

Sunset:

Here you go Maddog:

Buzzy Out!

Holy Crap Buzz! That's a pile o' percussion, a mountain of musical machines, a buttload of bongos! Tables?

C
cy posted on Sat, Dec 22, 2012 3:57 PM

and a pyramid of precision patterns from the prince of polynesian prolifery also!

Super Cool. We love our Buzzy drum. Wendy and Dan

Happy Holidays to you and Christina

10 of them
Dangggggg
Making my knuckles bleed just looking at em
How many band aids did u go through?
Looks awesome...

U da man

C

Where does Buzzy record his band's amazing brain shattering rock n' roll records?

http://buzzysrecording.com/

P

damn dude, you got it goin' on...

I hope my set-up is half as cool as yours some day.

B

BUZZ MASTER! most awesome!

Sunset:

I finished the drum tables for Tiki Iniki and dropped them off at a big container full of tiki bar goodness Here they were at various stages of finishing:

Made my own table tops ghetto New Yankee Workshop style:

The lot, ready for shipping:

Finished products:

They're all about 24 inches high. most table top diameters are 16"

I followed up that huge job with a small one. Here's a single piece of trim for a fifth wheel that needed a little more tipsy factor:

After that, I was technically unemployed for a few days, so I did some work around the estate. I finished the fence gate project right away since I had all the tools out already. Here are the fence pieces rough carved:

Details after some stain:

Three new templates.

Installed:

Other than that, I started a rebuild of a rebuild I did few years ago yesterday. I'll be doing that off and on for a couple more weeks. As Bamboo Ben would say, "Pics soon!"...if I find my camera cord!

Recently, I actually left the house and went to Damon's in Glendale for Tiki Joe's Ocean Xmas extravaganza! Good seeing all my good tiki pals again.

On 2013-01-15 06:47, Babalu wrote:
BUZZ MASTER! most awesome!

Hey Babalu! We gotta hang out soon. Talk about the good old days...

On 2013-01-10 13:55, pjc5150 wrote:
damn dude, you got it goin' on...

I hope my set-up is half as cool as yours some day.

You've made the first step by blurring the line between the living and working space at your residence. The rest is just kind of an over time de-evolution type thing.

On 2013-01-10 11:05, Cammo wrote:
Where does Buzzy record his band's amazing brain shattering rock n' roll records?

http://buzzysrecording.com/

I actually sold that studio recently. I got tired of trying to make shitty bands sound good, and the bands got tired of me yelling, "I'm sorry, but on all this beautiful recording equipment, there is no "TALENT" button. You were supposed to bring that with you!"
In other matters, I just missed you at the 92117 a few days ago. You were pedaling out as I was parking.

On 2012-12-22 20:19, hang10tiki wrote:
10 of them
Dangggggg
Making my knuckles bleed just looking at em
How many band aids did u go through?
Looks awesome...
U da man

Thanks hang10. Lots of work with a tight deadline...good thing the deadline got moved, twice. Lot of late night early morning carving going on. I don't use bandaids, only the healing powers of my mind.

On 2012-12-22 19:12, danlovestikis wrote:
Super Cool. We love our Buzzy drum. Wendy and Dan

Happy Holidays to you and Christina

Thanks Wendy and Dan!

On 2012-12-22 15:06, MadDogMike and cy wrote:
Holy Crap Buzz! That's a pile o' percussion, a mountain of musical machines, a buttload of bongos! ...

and a pyramid of precision patterns from the prince of polynesian prolifery also!

Sounds like a great book in the making. We need to contact Tiki Tony to illustrate this

Buzzy Out!

Darn City Planners!!! Always pushing projects back.
I bet they do this for fun!! :wink:

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2013 5:11 PM

The Ibanez AF155, with custom double Super 58 60mhz canceling humbuckers, flamed maple top back sides and pickguard, bound fretboard with pearl and abalone insets, all gold hardware, double b/w bound on all sides and center holes, NAMM 2013 Special:

A Lanikai uke:

'Nuff said.

[ Edited by: Cammo 2013-02-07 18:08 ]

A little update....

Last look at the Tiki Iniki drum tables as they arte loaded up and preparing to be shipped off.

Good luck Bamboo Ben! Take lots of pictures!

After that job, I had a couple days with nothing to do, so I finished carving this 5 foot guy:

A sanding I will go.

I've also been working on a tiki build. You can check it out here:
Tropical patio rebuild

I also jumped in the goings on over at the Don's International marketplace. Here's my vending setup:

I had a blast! That's a damn good thing they got going over there. Great to see everyone that happened by. Lots of good friends and tiki stuff to be had.

I also made some resin ripoff matchbooks:

Great fun!

Cammo: Guitar, by a long shot. I'd get the cutout version of that ukulele instead of the one pictured. Or maybe just save up for a Les Paul...
Yeah, the Les Paul.

Didn't stop me from buying an SG last week!
Buzzy Out!

C

If I had an SG it would look like this, with Seth Lover split coil pickups, Bigsby and a roller bridge:

Happy Daylight savings time!

The flowers are in bloom right outside my office window

Latest tiki, sanded and stained, ready for finish:

It started out with a lighter stain, but the wood had some irregularities in it that were too distracting with a light stain. I bumped it up to a darker stain and all those tone changes were not as noticeable anymore.

Did a little more work on the hut too:

Buzzy Out!

C
cy posted on Wed, Mar 13, 2013 10:40 AM

A great looking tiki Buzzy and the hut is a beauty also. Nice work!

Bitchin' bug-eyed bastard Buzz!

I'll second that, "Bug-Eyed Bastard" looks great! Hey Buzzy, got a question for ya: the stain at the bottom of the feet going to the base looks like a real clean break... I take it that you taped the bottom and probably dabbed the stain to achieve that - rather than turning the whole tiki upside down? I find it a bit challenging to keep a stained area from bleeding onto the next.

I actually lay the tiki down when I stain it. Stain runs horizontal instead of vertical that way.Seeps into the deep parts as well. Look close, there's a few drips of stain on the base. I just sanded them off with an emory board last night.

Buzzy Out!

P

hmmm...I like the tin roof on the hut.

I'm looking at bailing on the city and gettin' a place in the country so I can just kinda do whatever I want....and I plan on building a bunch of my6 own little structures, that tin roof has me thinking....

thanks for giving me something to think about (again)...

Sunset's greatest hits:

All that purple reminds me of the artist currently known as Prince

Tiki update time

This guy's all done:

And, I just carved a quick 26" Marq wall hanger last weekend. Here it is, only needing one more coat of finish before it's all done:

Back in the shop now for a couple quick router pieces. And then...
Buzzy Out!

Really diggin the Marq mask!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 22, 2013 9:29 PM

GROG 2nd that.

Send to GROG.

Nice shine on the bitchin' bugeyed bastard

B

Cool stuff Buzzy, Love the bug-eyed/boob-butt tiki, Awesome finish!

Here's the pair of router pieces that I did the other night

Quicker redos of some pieces that I did a while back

I also started on the other side of the split log I just carved

After a couple hours:

After another couple hours, it's all roughed out:

Working title for this one is "Tiki with a dick"

On 2013-03-22 20:09, AlohaStation wrote:
Really diggin the Marq mask!

thanks man!

On 2013-03-22 21:29, GROG wrote:
GROG 2nd that.

Send to GROG.

COD?

On 2013-03-22 22:09, MadDogMike wrote:
Nice shine on the bitchin' bugeyed bastard

It's not quite as shiny as it appears in the photo. That was a foggy sunset day, so the light was kinda weird.

On 2013-03-24 10:50, Benzart wrote:
Cool stuff Buzzy, Love the bug-eyed/boob-butt tiki, Awesome finish!

Thanks Benny-I like that part about the ButtBoobs!

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2013-03-27 19:52 ]

Is the one you are doing for Mojave ?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 28, 2013 12:22 AM

Send this one to GROG also.

Sunset:

I finished GROG's tiki, but before he could pick it up on Saturday, I sold it to someone else. Now all I have are memories of it, and this set of final pictures:

Don't stare:

Side view like this always freaks me out because from the front looks so full and 3D:

I guess this makes it a relief carving, technically.

I did more carving of material out on the back than in the front. Here you can see how I hollowed it out pretty good.

Light as feather and wall hanging ready. Missed another good one GROG...

Paired next to the mask:

Both carved from the sma esplit log.

I also made a couple paddles from part of the Disney Polynesian Village matchbook logo:

I have one on my list of things to do because demand outstripped supply on this one.

Here are some resin pendants that I cast last week for the INternational Tiki marketplace at Don's on Saturday. I cast them in lighter shades of brown and hen hand painted them for that real wood look

The originals of these were carved from mahogany. The castings really caught the grain well. Hard to tell they're not wood.

Hei Tiki one below was originally done in clay, and I tried to cast it to see what would happen.

I tried to make it look like polished jade. The other one was from mahogany. Both are hand painted for accent.

I never took good pictures of this guy after I finshed it, so I dusted and polished him up a bit and snapped these shots:

Good thing I took those, because he went bye bye on Saturday too. Kinda sad for me, because I was getting used to having him around...

I can always make more. Guess I'll start tomorrow...
Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 10:50 PM

DAMN YOU BUZZY!!!!!!! Who'd you sell it to? They need to contact GROG because it need to be at GROG' cave!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 10:51 PM

Dmaned Tiki Central double post!!!!

When does the damned thing double up? GROG post and it's a single post. GROG come back the next day and see it's a double post. WTF?!!!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-04-09 10:39 ]

GROG when you double post you need to make the background on the second graphic grey instead of dark green. (a transparent gif would work too) :D

Great stuff! Cash is the artist's ultimate compliment.

I just noticed: It's my seven year Tiki Central anniversary this week!

Thanks to all of you I've met or had contact with through TC, for all the good times and adventures that resulted from my carving work and the postings that I made here.

I hope I can continue to be inspired, as well as inspire others with my work, here on TC.

On with the fun...
Buzzy Out!

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Apr 9, 2013 3:37 PM

Just Wow!

Major props Mr. Meeker!

Congrats on your Anniversary!

Much Aloha from SD for sure!

McTiki

M

[ Edited by: mctiki 2013-04-10 08:59 ]

New sideline Buzzy ?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Apr 10, 2013 7:16 AM

Far in the future somebody is going to find Buzzy's tikis and think an entirely unique, thriving and happy carving-based civilization existed somewhere along the shores of Bay Park. They'll pay an enormous amount of future credits to enter a time machine, excitedly dial in the co-ordinates to Bay Park 2013, and arrive to see Buzzy sitting around with his cousin on the couch with a can of Arnold Palmer Tea, up to his ankles in wood chips.

Sunset:

I've had a carved and finished drum waiting for a head to be placed on it for a few months now. Last week, a special ordered slab of cow finally came in and I was able to stretch and mount it to the drum.
Here is the playing surface:

The whole finished piece:

4 tikis like this make the base. These allow the air and sound to come out really well

You can see the hole at the bottom of the bell in this photo.

The bell

The nails that hold down the rope are even done in a repetitive pattern

It;s about sternum height, which makes it real comfortable to play

Ball details

You can still see a couple scars from the tree climbers spikes. I always like to leave those on the pieces I carve. I feel like it's part of the history of the piece and tells a part of it's story

All the tikis got butts...

Boom boom boom!
Buzzy Out!

C
cy posted on Wed, Apr 17, 2013 2:18 PM

Fantastic Buzzy!

P

I agree about the spikes and the "story"...

it makes it "real"...more interesting...

H

Wow, really top notch.

Nice work on the drum Buzzy, actually nice work on everything.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies