Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

B

Woah,,HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY

Mieko: I started looking into these after I checked out your little set at the last chopchop. It made sense to use these to complement the hookknife, so I went big and bought the starter set. It has 16 interchangeable gouges that can be used in an included palm and mallet handle. They will also fit in the RPC setup, which I will probably have soon. Also on the backorder is the Mini and micro palm tool sets. All of which were graciously discounted for my by Dennis at cybercarving.com.

Stiki: I think the only thing I'm in excess of is the SlipStrop. Sure, my old one, along with the half used polishing compound, is all yours! Happy birthday Buddy!

Today's b&b:
My hypothesis: It is actually cheaper to take mass produced products and alter them into custom products, than it is to manufacture custom products from scratch.

The project:
I need to test the making of two custom signs for a pole, to be placed in front of a beach rental shop, and make them cheaply as possible.

To test my hypothesis:
Two new signs, fresh off the boat

Since these are new to the market, I'm sorry that I cannot state the actual wholesale unit cost for these. It is cheaper than lumber, though. I promise. The shape also saves a lot of time on my end, because I don't have the new yankee workshop, yet.

But I do have a ryobi planer. I used it to plane off the the face of the sign,to put a new set of hand carved letters on

I made a stencil for the letters I needed from other signs

Then I drew out the outline of the letters

Never doing this before, I tried the first letter. I traced the outline with the hookknife and then used a mallet gouge as a palm gouge and took down the material around the letters. I then sanded it quickly with the dremel to see if this process would work for the whole sign

Good enough.

I then traced the rest of the letters with the hookknife, and prepared to do the rest the same way.

Then, Ding Dong! The mailman came. New tools!

I put them to use immediately and finished the rest of the rough out in about ten minutes

Damn, these palm tools rock!

Now I'll go and sand it.
Let me get the sunset real quick

Buzzy Out

damn speling!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-01-08 17:11 ]

Sunset:

Hey, a little smog tonight! Thanks LA!!!

Benzart: Happyhappyhappy is an understatement right now

Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 5:27 PM

cool sign :)

H

Buzzy I think we would have preferred your picture kissing the mailman to the sunset for this evening???!!

ST

Hey Buzzy, next time ya have to do a sign remember the sticker machine makes a great stencil, stick it on, trace it remove, and carve away!

On 2007-01-08 17:30, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy I think we would have preferred your picture kissing the mailman to the sunset for this evening???!!

How about a picture of how big my sign is instead:

Pretty decent size.

Stiki: I have to match the font on all the other signs, because mine will be mixed with the others. But yeah, the sticker thing would work real well.

Thanks to Hewey also.

Buzzy out

B

I saw these pictures this morning:

And I should admit that sometimes I dream about hold ups !!!

Don't worry Buzzy, I'm in France :wink:
But I can't wait to see some new funky tikis from you with all these beautiful chisels we hardly (very hardly) find in my country :(

Benjamin.

It looks like there is a fire somewhere tonight...

Smells like smoke. Dirty sunset.

Benella: In America, they say you have a good chance of getting away with robbing a bank if you only do it one time. I'm thinking about giving it a shot. I want to get a power carving setup soon. And if I could afford them, I would have more chisels from a company in Austria called Stubai. I have only three, my most expensive one ran me about $47 US. The Flexcuts are real nice, but the way the stubai moves through the wood is just fantastic. They are a little heavier, but balanced perfectly. The flexcuts are more affordable here and come in these cool sets with a good random assortment of tools to start with. I usually buy the base sets, and then add tools as they are needed. The Flexcut set on the top picture lists for $180US, with people like cybercarving.com discounting them 15%. They do not ship internationally, but I'm sure you could locate a "middleman" to send one to you. The palm set lists for $130US, but sells for around $115US. You should check on the price of the Austrian tools over there or see how much shipping would be to you. I know Zaya sends stuff to her friend in Ireland for about $20US. You would probably make it up on the exchange rate. Exchange rates are pretty much the same as hold ups, but they are legal.

Buzzy Out!

I hate it when I forget important words and have to edit

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-01-09 17:45 ]

I did a little work on the fence tiki today. I wanted a window for my dog to be able to see out into the street. Look there she is now!

It's just about the right size. I just need to clear out a little more space in back for her fat head.

Put some of them new tools to good use this afternoon. The palm gouges, in conjunction with the hookknife, make for some good carvin'. This setup is sweet!
Here it is earlier in the evening:

Here it is now:

A piece broke off so the neck is a little longer than I'd like. I cannot tell if it's distracting or detracting yet...

I need to eat food now. I was carving so long and I was so into it, I forgot.

Baking Buzzy Out!

Enough for one day...

Buzzy Finally Out!

B

Definitely a Sweet tool package.By the time you learn about each one of those gouges, you will be a Master! "BuzzMaster BayPark" or will it be just the Buzz Master?? I like that better.
Meanwhile back home on the hill, Nice smoky Sunset, Smell that Hollywood star home burning Smoke?? I think what you saw in the smoke Was Stars homes aflame,Nice sunset.
Nice tiki with the new toolz too1 It will take awhile but you will get used to them quickly. Careful! They Are sharp.
LOOK Closely at the V-liners. Make sure the "Birds Beak" has been sharpened down. If you use it with the beak showing it WILL BREAK OFF! Ask a few users?.
Back to that Hold up thingy, what did you say was Your address?

B

Thank you very very much for the informations 'bout the chisels/gouges, BuzzMaster.

I had a retailer for wood toolz that knew a lot of things about carving but he unfortunately died with his secrets. By now, it is hard to find some good chisels when you want to see it for real.

Iam going to look forward stublai chisels 'cause it seems quite cool.

Your new tiki starts very well :), i'll be waiting for some more.
Benjamin.

Searching is not finding

[ Edited by: benella 2007-01-10 08:34 ]

Bens: Thanks. Here is a sunset, I'll be back to talk tiki later.

It got worse the later it got...

BuzzMaster Buzzy from the San Diego neighborhood of Bay Park Out!
(That's my new legal name)

Who took just plain Buzzy? Never seen him post. There's a Buzzy D. Rummer from Bay Park listed on TC. He must be my neighbor or something. He probably forgot his password, though: zero posts. Friggin' lurker...

B

calm down BuzzMaster, who knows, he may still be lurking and might give up his name. Dark sunsets must bring on dark moods, don't do those any more :)

"When you are looking to churn some water and call up a few agressive strikes, our Buzz Master will get the job done! The flashy double-wing blade will spit, gurgle, wake and bulge with the best of them, and the pulsating silicone skirt presents a hypnotic appeal that ass can't ignore. Top-quality components; beautifully finished to outperform much costlier buzzbaits. Blade color: Nickel."

Hmmm.

B

The BUZZ-MASTER Get one, coming to a store near you!

M

Hey, you could always turn it into a bobble head if the neck bothers you. Just detach them and put a spring in between the two. :) Oh, and if you ever need springs, or screws, or neat hardware stuff, check out Marshalls Industrial Hardware http://www.marshallshardware.com/
They're right by my work, they have all sorts of stuff, even power carvers.

On 2007-01-10 18:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

" The Buzz Master will get the job done! He will spit, gurgle, take it and bulge with the best of them, and the pulsating silicone skirt presents a hypnotic appeal, and with that ass, I can't ignore it. Top-quality components; beautifully finished to outperform much costlier jailbuzzbaits. Blade color: Chrome."

UMMMMMMM!

By appointment only. :)

Bobble Head Ku Fish Beating Stick Progress

BuzzMaster Buzzy Out!

T

WOW! Nice! You have quite a collection of FlexCuts there! Watch out! It might be worth Benella's money to come all the way from France to swipe those from ya! It might be worth ME coming from Virginia to do that! LOL!

Thursday

Friday

Buzzy Out!

Brrr.

How bout a sunset of the sound....

On 2007-01-13 21:12, RevBambooBen wrote:
Brrr.

My high/low thermometer

23 degrees on Saturday night...
That's an all time my house low record.

B

Another nice sunset, but what is that broken thermometer doing here, strange #'s.
Want Excellent sets of chizzels? Check HERE for an Ebay auction where this guy has a few sets of Marples carving sets. They are Excellent tools and May be had right! Look thru that search for more good ones too!

Global Warming broke my thermometer...

Today's after 5pm sunset

Tons of sanding to go...

Buzzy Out!

I'm really surprised that this guy can stand up on his own

Grain looks good

I'm thinking a shiny coat will be best

Have to wait until tomorrow anyway

It time to start something next...

What?

Buzzy Out!

H

Buzzy how about a female tiki????

B

DID you look at that auction?

Are we all going to be biddin against each other now :wink:

I call dibs!

On 2007-01-15 21:37, Clysdalle wrote:
Are we all going to be biddin against each other now :wink:

Did I tell you I'm selling logs now? :wink:

Economics 101: The more I pay for those tools, the more expensive my logs are.

Buzzy Out!

who needs tools anyway..... damn log monopoly :wink:

B

On 2007-01-15 19:48, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Grain looks good

But in fact, grain look very good. Nice work.

Benjamin.

Thanks Benjamin. Here it is after I applied I couple coats of clear:

Buzzy Out!

H

Buzzy that looks great. Can you take some pictures of it with a white background as well. The grain shows so much clearer with white in the back, thanks.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 16, 2007 5:45 PM

Looks like a giant tiki toothpick man :) Grain is tops

On 2007-01-16 17:38, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy that looks great. Can you take some pictures of it with a white background as well. The grain shows so much clearer with white in the back, thanks.

No, thank YOU!

Buzzy Out!

B

Excellent carving on this one, Tight detail. The Grain is remarkable and with the finish is just SWEETER. One of your best, for sure!

B

Hey Buzzy,

Man, your work is really looking tight! I'm digging on Hiltiki's idea of a female tiki carving...I think you should put one in your line up too.

Burrrrr - it's cold here in SD....call out the National Guard!

See you at the O-Side Chop!

Babalu

On 2007-01-17 06:53, Babalu wrote:
Burrrrr - it's cold here in SD....call out the National Guard!

Last couple days high/low:

this never registers the actual high because it is on the cold side of my house that loses sun at 10am

Back to work:
Took all my tools out today, the one cloud in the sky quickly came over and dumped a bunch of rain on me. Took all my stuff in, got sunny right away. Went back to work, here come the clouds...

Got a little done on this guy, though:

Day two of BarrettJackson commences...

Buzzy Out

How are your fingers doin' in this weather?

Hailed up here today!

On 2007-01-17 17:24, RevBambooBen wrote:
How are your fingers doin' in this weather?

Cracked out a flannel I hadn't worn since '93...

And, I wore long pants after about 2:30 this afternoon.

Today was a good day for sunset fans

When my fingers are cold, it doesn't hurt when I hit them with my hammer

He's still too big and heavy to drag inside...

Buzzy Out!

B
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.