Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

T

Smoke??? how cool is that.
This drum is the coolest!!!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 26, 2010 7:22 AM

Smoke rings? Awesome Buzzy.

I used to have a smoke ring generator years ago. It had a donut shaped exhaust valve, kinda like a miniature extrusion die. I think you would require a better source of smoke than an incense cone - like a small Halloween smoke machine hidden inside (but then you would have an electrical cord to deal with not to mention having to pour smoke generating liquid into a reservoir and such...bad idea?)

It can't be too far off into the future when you come up with a way to tune (tighten) the drum head material uniformly around the perimeter.

Anyway Buzzy I tell you man, I'm awestruck one day with your skills and then come back a day later and you up the ante on me!! AWESOME DUDE!

The Buzzy tiki-drums get better with every new attempt :o

Take Care, G

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 26, 2010 10:16 AM

You da MAN!!!!

Really great work Buzzy!

B

SMOKIN' HOT Master Buzz!!

T

That Is truly GENIOUS Buzzy!!!

JT

....Ahhhh Yeah, NICE Buzz.!!!!

G

Awesome drum. The smoke idea is pure genius.

I am guessing you would need to generate a lot of smoke to continuously spew it out of the 3 mouths. Maybe a dry ice/fog machine would give you what you need. You could plug one of the mouths or shrink the passageways so it shoots out farther.
Colored lights inside would give it a great effect.

Can't wait to see this drum in action.

B

a smoking tiki drum,what a cool idea,cant wait to see what you come up with next

B

BuzzMaster, You're Really Cookin'

YIKES! Que caliente! (Insert smoke joke here.)
Bravo, man. THAT is something else!
Andy

Some sunsets:

I got some color on the drum. Here it is after a couple coats of various stains:

Right before a little sealer:

And in the final finishing stages:

I got the head on it too. I'll have better pictures of it when the light outside gets better this evening

I have to go into PB to get some incense to try the smoke thing. I went to 4 stores today and none had any in stock.

My back acted up again so what little work I could manage lately was done on the drum. I did make this little pendant a few days ago:

I also slapped out another Moai:

Thanks for all the comments...I'll be trying to catch up with all those soon...

I'm off to Caliente!
Buzzy Out!

Knockout job on the stains, Buzz! I vote that the best piece you're ever carved. Concur?

Also, did you try Freaky Boutiki for incense?

Buzzy that drum is outta control !! Hell Yeah

awesome drum, buzz! the different stains really make the logo stand out.

T

That stain job just put it in first, and if the smoke thing works itll be effen awesome!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jun 3, 2010 8:33 PM

Not finding incense in PB?!?!?!!??! WTF???!?!?!?!

Went to Buzzy's house today. The dog attacked me again.
It looked like this:

Then it calmed down suddenly. I think I just froze and it couldn't see me, like it has Jurassic Park-style motion vision and things disappear if you don't move. It looked like this:

Then when I moved JUST A BIT it went nutzo again and ATTACKED!

The drum looks great, it actually looks like it's inlaid wood.

Wow Buzzy,.....an awesome drum......im always amazed at the quality
of tiki you produce....you seem to outdo yourself with every new project......

We are all humbled in the presence of the master........

DISCLAIMER..I am in no way affiliated with Buzzy...nor has any form of Monetary
compensation been exchanged for any comments or observations made herein

cannon balls!

Great Job on the new drum!!
Your individuality shines bright with this astronomically genius idea!!
The stains look great..
Keep up the great work!!

S

On 2010-06-03 19:11, 4WDtiki wrote:
Knockout job on the stains, Buzz! I vote that the best piece you're ever carved. Concur?

You have made some amazing pieces and that drum is well and truly up there at the top. Awesome work.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 12:11 AM

The drum is absolutely gorgeous. GROG look forward to seeing it in person.

T

New drum = MASTERPIECE

really really fine work Buzz. Clever design too. I hope the smoke works out, that will be so cool!

A
amate posted on Sun, Jun 6, 2010 11:59 AM

That drum has got it all. Beautifully carved ... a cool twist with the smoke ...but the finish is what puts it over the top for me. Really outstanding!

S

Buzz the drum is killer!

So I have a bunch of comments to catch up on so here goes...

On 2010-05-05 05:21, 4WDtiki wrote:
I like that Log Bob! The bark is wild, and the piece has a nice little sideways curve in it. Any idea what kind of wood it is?

Yes, I know exactly what kind of wood it is: It's LogBobWood from the LogBobTree.

On 2010-05-06 14:48, Benzart wrote:
Dayyum Buzzy, Your Log Bob is Jest as Uggly as the original,, Nice Job on the Bob,,, Whats a Bob??

I'm surprised Bob looks so happy all the time, being that he's so ugly and all...What's a Bob? I'm not really sure, but I do know that you need one if anyone is to take you seriously in the tiki community.

On 2010-05-06 16:39, tikigodz wrote:
YEAH WHATS A BOB???

According to Bob himself...

On 2010-05-19 12:50, buzzard wrote:
and if everyone really wants to know what a bob is you can send them a pic of me

Let me know if any of you need that picture

On 2010-05-06 19:40, seeksurf wrote:
I thinks the gods have been favoring you and that vault line, but keep
your speedo on during Buzzy month just to be safe.

I don't wear it full time until after the fourth of July weekend. for now though, I keep an emergency pair of speedo in the car

On 2010-05-12 19:43, TheBigT wrote:
I see you're getting quite proficient with the stencils. Show off. :wink:

The next stenciling I did for this part of the drum:

topped that leg tiki stenciling.

On 2010-05-15 19:04, Cammo wrote:
*"When I was rookie carver...[he]made a Tiki-Bob." *

Was that 4WDTiki?

No. I don;t think I've seen Wheeler do a Bob yet.

We'll make a contest/game of naming the Bob carver.
Hint#1: He posted on my thread a few times

Contest starts now...Go!

Hey, can I order one too? But first can you primer and gloss-white the face so it has that scary clown white look?

I'll put you on "the list." Check back soon on that...

I'm gonna wear all plastic to Buzzy's house from now on. If you wear any form of leather Poki goes after it and tries to rip it to shreds when you aren't looking. He stalks your shoes. Buzzy finds this behavior comical and encourages it.

You can;t blame my dog when you come over wearing a pair of these on your feet:

and you forgot to mention that you always come over with something like this for her:

On 2010-05-16 12:09, MadDogMike wrote:
Funny dog! Buzz, tell me about this:

that one one the left

is the statue of me that Jonesey built. If you click on it on my signature, it takes you to my gallery thread. Here's the back story on it starting on this pageof my thread back in August of '08

The camera picture

...is a link that will take you to my JustinTv ive channel. I used to do a bunch of live carving on it that nobody wouold watch. Someday I'll either start broadcasting again or take that link off.

On 2010-05-21 08:25, Tahitiki wrote:
The new drum is way cool buz.

thanks T. It was a joy to do.

On 2010-05-23 06:50, TravelingJones wrote:
Braddah Buzz... YOU are Champion of the Chisles, Lord of the Logs and the Barney of the West!!! San Diego Tiki Factory is in FULL PRODUCTION this year... choppin' out all da excessive wood and creating a stronger, lean and efficient tiki for our planet! YOU sir, are a PATRIOT!
:tiki: ** VOTE for BUZZY 2012!** :tiki:

I'll do what whatever I can do, and more importantly, whatever my country needs me to do to in the name of tiki.

On 2010-05-25 12:36, Naneki wrote:
Hey Buzzy

Tiki Log Bob arrived safely. He's happy in his new home. Here's a picture with his big brother Te. (Don't worry Log Bob lives inside.)

Thanks.
Nancy

Awesome! Te, the other guy, is a blast from my past. He looks like he's been happy there the last couple of years. Bob's smile shines on! Glad he made it safely.

On 2010-05-25 13:29, TikiG wrote:
Man, someday I'm gonna get off my ass and attempt to carve one of those myself (better yet, I'll just buy a Buzzy drum and leave it at that.)

I'll put you on that list right after I find it and put Cammo's Bob on it.

On 2010-05-26 04:57, BigAndyB wrote:
how did you hollow out the inside of the drum so accurately keeping a 1 inch thickness? i've just carved out a short tiki head lantern, but being straight-sided, it was fairly easy with the chainsaw, although terrifying as i came closer to the edge..

carve ridges, then sand them smooth with a angle grinder with 40 grit sand paper wheel. then I run my hands together parallel to each other up and down the bell sides to feel uneven parts. Think of it kind of like throwing the sides of a piece of clay on a potter's wheel. My hands should feel the same distance apart from the rim to the base of the bell. it takes a long time to do. About a day and a half of crappy hard work.

On 2010-05-26 05:23, 4WDtiki wrote:
I'm pretty much speechless on this drum, Buzz. Somehow you do things with palm that shouldn't be possible, yet there's the photographic proof!

I'm having a blast pushing it, trying to find the limits of this medium...

On 2010-05-26 06:14, AlohaStation wrote:
Spectacular! Can't wait to see it finished.

After all this Blah Blah Blah is over, I'll post the final, final pictures of it.

On 2010-05-26 06:21, MadDogMike wrote:
Smoke rings, hmmm? Check out "vortex generator" or "smoke ring generator"...

The smoke worked. It even made puffs of differing sizes, depending on how hard you hit the drum. the only problem was the smoke wasn't thick enough. I think a glass with a cube of dry ice would work perfect. there was planty of smoke, it just wasn't the right kind of smoke.

On 2010-05-26 06:59, Tahitiki wrote:
Smoke??? how cool is that.
This drum is the coolest!!!

I got a lot of positive feedback on it.
Here is a borrowed pictures of it at Tiki caliente this weekend:

On 2010-06-07 21:12, Mongoloid wrote:

I was a proud pappa seeing both those drums up there. Here's the Martini Kings Drum in action poolside Saturday:

On 2010-06-07 21:12, Mongoloid wrote:

On 2010-05-26 07:22, TikiG wrote:
It can't be too far off into the future when you come up with a way to tune (tighten) the drum head material uniformly around the perimeter.

The Buzzy tiki-drums get better with every new attempt :o
Take Care, G

I've been working on that...I have a test set to do for Tikiyaki real soon to see if I can make an easily tunable drum work. I got pretty close with the first pahu I tried. i just need to find the right lashing. Natural looking, with no give.

I also have a new one that I have to start to do, and one more that I want to do right now. I might have a drum or two in my future still...

On 2010-05-26 11:25, hodadhank wrote:
Really great work Buzzy!

thanks Hank.

On 2010-05-26 11:36, Babalu wrote:
SMOKIN' HOT Master Buzz!!

Is that a picture of Alka seltzer in a tiki mug filled with a signature tiki coctail?

On 2010-05-26 18:32, tikigodz wrote:
That Is truly GENIOUS Buzzy!!!

thanks TG

On 2010-05-27 01:47, jab tiki wrote:
....Ahhhh Yeah, NICE Buzz.!!!!

Thanks to you too JAB. Where you been?

On 2010-05-27 13:05, geedavee wrote:
Awesome drum. The smoke idea is pure genius.
Maybe a dry ice/fog machine would give you what you need.

EXACTLY! dry ice with a small uplight would probably give the desired effect.

On 2010-05-27 14:42, buzzard wrote:
a smoking tiki drum,what a cool idea,cant wait to see what you come up with next

monkeys, drums, tikis, mugs, pendants, and lots of other things that have yet to come up...

On 2010-05-29 09:48, Benzart wrote:
BuzzMaster, You're Really Cookin'

that's the smoke from the drum.

On 2010-06-02 18:41, Tiki Joe's Pop wrote:
YIKES! Que caliente! (Insert smoke joke here.)
Bravo, man. THAT is something else!
Andy

thanks Andy.

On 2010-06-03 19:11, 4WDtiki wrote:
Also, did you try Freaky Boutiki for incense?

If I go by what everyone has told me, it;s the best piece. I'd have to think about that before I concur. there's so much crap I've done to ponder...
I tried everywhere in West Clairemont first. I finally went to PB but it was later than freaky was open.

On 2010-06-03 19:25, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Buzzy that drum is outta control !! Hell Yeah

thanks Spermy!

On 2010-06-03 19:56, kingstiedye wrote:
awesome drum, buzz! the different stains really make the logo stand out.

I had to make something worthy of the event. I still couldn;'t bring myself to paint the teeth on the tikis white like on the tropics tiki...

On 2010-06-03 20:16, tikigodz wrote:
That stain job just put it in first, and if the smoke thing works itll be effen awesome!

I will concur that it may be the best stain job I've done

On 2010-06-03 20:33, Cammo wrote:
Not finding incense in PB?!?!?!!??! WTF???!?!?!?!

the only things you can get in PB now are pot and booze, apparently.

On 2010-06-03 21:12, closettiki wrote:
Wow Buzzy,.....an awesome drum......im always amazed at the quality
of tiki you produce....you seem to outdo yourself with every new project......
We are all humbled in the presence of the master........
DISCLAIMER..I am in no way affiliated with Buzzy...nor has any form of Monetary
compensation been exchanged for any comments or observations made herein

Did the check clear yet?

On 2010-06-03 21:46, RevBambooBen wrote:
cannon balls!

I think that pool actually saved my life on saturday afternoon

On 2010-06-03 22:23, Meheadhunter wrote:
Great Job on the new drum!!
Keep up the great work!!

Always.

On 2010-06-03 23:51, swizzle wrote:
You have made some amazing pieces and that drum is well and truly up there at the top. Awesome work.

Wait until you see the next one. (I hope.)

On 2010-06-04 00:11, GROG wrote:
The drum is absolutely gorgeous. GROG look forward to seeing it in person.

I look forward to seeiung GROG in person.

On 2010-06-04 15:53, TheBigT wrote:
New drum = MASTERPIECE
really really fine work Buzz. Clever design too. I hope the smoke works out, that will be so cool!

This one was super fun to do, and well worth the extra effort I put into to it

On 2010-06-06 11:59, amate wrote:
That drum has got it all. Beautifully carved ... a cool twist with the smoke ...but the finish is what puts it over the top for me. Really outstanding!

thanks Amate.

On 2010-06-07 18:40, seeksurf wrote:
Buzz the drum is killer!

And finally: THANKS SEEKS!

I'm caught up now.

Now the final final finished pictures of the drum that you all seem to like so well:

I'll be starting some new stuff tomorrow.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-06-14 21:23 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 3:23 PM

Definitely your best drum yet.

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Jun 14, 2010 9:18 PM

Poki - Queen of the log pile!

Zaya

Today's sunset:

the fog glare messed up the picture. I can't tell if it's in focus or not...

The Log Bob Tree has some Log Bob Flowers in bloom:

I haven't done much work lately because my back problem has been lingering.

Today I cleaned up the log that will most likely my next big drum project:

I also have squared up one of my Caliente drum backup logs.

For another project I have coming up, I'm making and testing some lumber for it. here's one log all sliced up:

I have to make a few more pieces for this, and another do it right now project as well...

On 2010-06-08 15:23, GROG wrote:
Definitely your best drum yet.

thanks GROG!

Hopefully, I'll be back to work tomorrow.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-06-14 21:24 ]

Today's sunset:

Not much work done today. I did a little carving on this one:

and cut some parts to make a prototype monkey

I have a few more pieces to make for it and some carving to do on the body.

Buzzy Out!

A couple sunsets:

I'll start off this post by saying goodbye to a loyal friend:

I only used it on 130 or so carvings before that happened...
Good thing I have a spare!

My back's still too screwed to carve a lot, so I changed gears for a couple days and have been working on the mini surfboard a made a few weeks ago. I decided to do some woodburning designs on it.

I started by making a paper master sketch. Here it is taped to the board:

through a long and tedious process, I then transferred the master to the wood:

Fired up the woodburner and started from the bottom:

Moving up the design

Here's where I am now with it:

carving five minutes a day got this done after a few days:

More later.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-06-24 20:28 ]

HOK

Yo Buzzy! Nice board :)
A little info on your Flexcut warranty....

http://www.flexcut.com/terms-conditions/

Freddie

A

Oh Man! That is way too cool seeing those drums in action. Love your stuff...very inspiring!!! Surfboard is rad too.

S

buzzy, loving the artwork on the board!

It was cloudy all day today so I didn't get a sunset picture. To make up for it, here are some pictures from a movie I was watching that had some tikis in it:
Here is a shot of the teacher/writer and a student he was sleeping with and a tiki in the background

The teacher had writer's block so he was sleeping with two of his students to snap out of it. There's another tiki:

The two students he was doing were roomates and they lived in this apartment building

I forgot what the movie was called.

Tiki update:

I was able to do a little wood work today. I started by crafting a fin for my mini surfboard. I used a mounted belt sander with an extra spinning disc sander to do it from what was originally a square piece.

Then I cut a box to hold it on the board:

It's wafer thin

Looking at it from this angle, the fin looks a little large:

I think I'll leave it as is though. It will noseride better with the fin like that. At least the rocker looks good from that angle.

I started to do a bunch of wood burned patterns on the tikis, but they didn;t that look good. the grain makes it real hard to do details that small on the palm, and the end results didn't look right. I had to sand the new burnings off and then redo the original outlines. from there, I decided the best option was to just stain it.

Anyone who surfs knows that red boards go faster than boards of any other color. With that in mind, I stained the bottom of the board red:

Bulit for speed! I still want to burn a mock logo on the back somewhere

I did a burned line around the edge of the board and did the red to there. then I did the tikis in a different shade of brown

On 2010-06-25 03:56, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Yo Buzzy!
A little info on your Flexcut warranty....
http://www.flexcut.com/terms-conditions/
Freddie

After reading the fine print
"Flexcut Tool Co. Inc. does not warrant its product against normal wear and misuse. "
I don't think I'm covered. :( But, it still wouldn't hurt to try. I've got nothing to lose, but postage.

On 2010-06-25 09:29, AZSteveR wrote:
Oh Man! That is way too cool seeing those drums in action. Love your stuff...very inspiring!!! Surfboard is rad too.

Thanks AZsteve. Are you from Wilcox, AZ, by any chance? If you are, that would make us kind of neighbors. Well, not really neighbors, but you might live by some barren land next to wastewater storage facility(Twin lakes) my Grandparents bought out there. Someday,I'm going to live on that land in a VW bus.
Here's a good video link of Tiki Caliente II:
chrisandsarahb's video
it has a nice shot of the drums starting out at about 3:25

On 2010-06-25 15:59, seeksurf wrote:
buzzy, loving the artwork on the board!

Thanks seeks. the end result didn;t turn out as planned, so it's back to the drawing board for the next one. I think I'll make a mini 13 footer for he next one. Something for 1-1.5' days when you have nothing better to do but surf.

Buzzy Out!

S

Whoo hoo! on that board and the design.

Can't have sunsets if there ain't no sun:

It's supposed to get sunny here later this week.

Tiki Update:
I have a couple coats of oil on the mini surfboard:

I think I have one more coat on top and two on the bottom and I'll be done with it. I was hoping the last coat would work, but it still wants more. I have been doing this phase of finishing in my new entryway/hall workstation. one more part of my house absorbed by the tiki Blob of my life...

My back felt well enough towards the end of last week to start on a new project. This one is a large drum. It's a bit bigger than the other drums. Maybe 6-8 inches taller than the Tikiyaki,Martini Kings, and Tiki Caliente drums.
Here it is a few days ago:

First round of hollowing finished:

Legs roughed with the chainsaw...

I got real close to where it needs to be with the chainsaw. I have no room for errors on this part, so I have to finish it by hand. the tool I usually use for this was the one I snapped recently. Luckily, I had another older Flexcut that I broke a year or so ago. That one had a broken blade with a near perfect handle. I managed to get the old blade out without messing up the handle, and then put the blade I needed in the old handle. Now I'll send my double broken split handled cracked blade "v" tool back to Flexcut and try to get a new one!

With my newly refurbished tool, I made the legs all even:

Right now they're square, but soon I will be rounding the fronts out.

I still haven't determined if the legs will be attached to each other like they are now, or separated from each other.

I also have another one of these that I spend about 15 minutes working on each day:

I got more done on it today, so I might be able to finish it tomorrow.

On 2010-06-29 21:41, seeksurf wrote:
Whoo hoo! on that board and the design.

thanks seeks! I like the way it turned out, so i'll probably try to do a few more.

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy, you are the man! I have spent the last week or so going through all 237 pages of your work. You are truly a master carver!

a big waterfall in the back would be awesome!

Today's sunset:

No sun. Very low sixties all day today. And a 5.4 earthquake...

It's still paradise to me!
My back was so bad today that I could barely walk, but I set my goal to get all the way through on the drum:

The happiest moment of all is when I see that daylight shining through it. Hooray! After this step, it's all easy going until it's done:

That's a 42" tunnel. they're hard to make out, but there are a bunch of blood spots on the inside of it. My knuckles got a little cut up digging around down there.

I'm hoping with the tunnel done, the back of the legs do not split while they are drying. Cross your fingers for me! I still need to round out the fronts of those legs too:

If it don't work, I can easily make them into separated and tapered legs with spaces between them. I was just hoping to keep them attached because I think it looks neater that way. If I do end up splitting them up, then half the work I did today making the bottom end of the tunnel will have been for nothing.

I got the outside cleaned up a little bit too:

Hopefully we'll get some sun because now I need it to dry pronto!

On 2010-07-06 10:58, pennjones wrote:
Buzzy, you are the man! I have spent the last week or so going through all 237 pages of your work. You are truly a master carver!

Holy Crap! that's a real undertaking you did there. I'll take the "Master Carver*" title with anb asterisk- The asterick will denote that I am the "tiki version" of that tag. Officially, I think that you have to give 20 years to your trade to be a true Master. I looked that up because I thought the title of Master Carver was being applied to tiki carvers around here a little too frequently and liberally. When I'm a true Master Carver, I'm going to start carving cigar store Indians and chainsaw bears up in the mountains, in a town that time forgot.

On 2010-07-06 21:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
a big waterfall in the back would be awesome!

Speaking of chainsaw bears in the mountains: Nice work! I was up there this weekend and was quite impressed. You rock!

Only a bit more than 15 years, and I will be a Master Carver!
Until then, enjoy my tiki work.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-07-08 01:35 ]

S

On 2010-07-07 22:03, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Only a bit more than 15 years, and I will be a Master Carver!
Until then, enjoy my tiki work.
Buzzy Out!
[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-07-08 01:35 ]

So are you saying you've only been carving for about 5 years?

And also, whilst I dont think this is a stupid question i'm also not trying to be a smartass, but is there not a way you can drill the inside of the drums out, or, I understand the wood is heavy, somehow use a lathe? I've only done 4 carvings so far myself, but seeing your drums has inspired me to give one of them a go at some stage as well. I personally can see myself doing a hell of a lot of drilling and then cleaning the rest of it up with a chisel. Or am I being silly?

[ Edited by: swizzle 2010-07-08 03:37 ]

Buzz, you guys need some sunshine there! Head over here to the Eastern part of the country, we're damn near tropical lately. Sunny and in the 90's almost everyday. I was in Boston last week and it was scorching.

Love the surfboards! I'm going to get back into doing some surf theme items for Festiki coming up. I did a surfboard towel rack for my half bath here at the house that was a lot of fun. Made a fin like you did and a little fin box for it to fit in. Fun stuff doing all that micro work! And easier on the back!

Love the progress on the drum! Take it easy and take care of that back!

Right before it got dark, there was a hint that there is still a sun out there somewhere:

It's supposed to dip from the low 60's, to the upper 50's tonight.

Tiki Update:
On the right, the moai I've been working on in increments:

Not much else for this update...

Poki thought she'd take up the slack and show you guys what she's up to:

Playing with her new favorite toy:

We call it "Goat."

Poki loves Goat!

On 2010-07-08 03:35, swizzle wrote:
#1 So are you saying you've only been carving for about 5 years?

#2 but is there not a way you can drill the inside of the drums out, or, I understand the wood is heavy, somehow use a lathe?

#3 I personally can see myself doing a hell of a lot of drilling and then cleaning the rest of it up with a chisel. Or am I being silly?

#1 Yes, in fact, it will be 5 years next month. I started sometime in the summer of '05 with my first tiki. then it took a few months to get some more logs, and I started back up in October of '05. Since then, Ive been carving continuously and I've only had a couple months off here and there due to injuries or accidents.

#2 I've seen a lathe that makes really big bowls on tv, but I think they are a little out of my price range. I'm sure it would work, but I just kind of make due with what I have. the type of wood you use would be way harder. I'm lucky because the palm center is pretty soft and I can take it out against the grain. Here'show I do it.
You can see the soft wood is whiter in the center of this photo from that post:

That stuff comes out a lot easier than the darker wood on the edge. You can see I eventually hollowed it out about 1/2" into the harder wood.

#3 Sounds like it would work. It would probably take forever...Problems such as these are the high hurdles that keep people from attempting to do these type of projects. Too much stress, too much work. My props to anyone brave enough to try one. Good luck!

On 2010-07-08 12:46, Lake Surfer wrote:
Buzz, you guys need some sunshine there! Head over here to the Eastern part of the country, we're damn near tropical lately. Sunny and in the 90's almost everyday. I was in Boston last week and it was scorching.
And easier on the back!

Actually I like it like this. I can still wear shorts and a tshirt all day, work outside for hours on end and never get hot or sunburned. I'm sure it will be blazing hot soon enough. for now, I;'ll just count my blessings.
I hear that!

Got a match?
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-07-09 00:29 ]

B

So, is there another Chip'n Males poster in line for oasis this year? I have a spot all ready for it in the studio.

Goat - :lol:

It's been cloudy a lot here lately

The sun coming out this afternoon at the coast made the evening news

I had a second surfboard mini blank done a while back. It was based on the porportions of this board:

I made mine with just a very slight rocker, like I assume one of those old ass boards was in the day. I put about the same rocker on it as this old flat 10' G & S I had a long time ago

Like the other one, I decided to do one of those tiki drawing woodburning deals. It started with a paper cutout of the boards outline and a did lot of penciling, measuring, and erasing.

Then I took my drawing and xeroed it to make a taped together clean master stencil. Here's one piece of the design:

I use that to transfer it on to the board:

OOps! Blurry...

And then I burn round one:

I still have the top design to fancy up a bit and do the logo, but the rest is done:

I'll finish the burnin' tonight and do stain test beefore i finish it. I also need to make the fin, but that only takes about ten minutes.

The other board is done. I just haven't gotten aqround to photoing it yet.

Buzzy Out!

Totally loving the boards Buzz! Two of my favorite things together in one... surf and tiki!

I'll trade you your dry clouds for our clouds that dropped 7 inches of rain last night and flooded my basement.

3 more inches heading our way tonight.

I'll bet that Southern California wouldn't know what to do with all that freshwater!

S

Whoo hoo a board for kings!

great work on the boards, buzz!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies