Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

I have been way too intimidated to try casting. Did you feel the same before starting? They look great by the way!!

I think you need a mower with more horsepower to be honest.

:)

On 2008-03-11 12:25, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Tiki Kate: Size 5? What is this brass ring for, an elf? Bilbo Baggins?

I was thinking more along the lines of brass knuckles.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 6:32 PM

Way to go with the monster resin session! The color looks great. There's enough bling there for everyone :D

C

Saw these today in person and they're SWEETER than SHUGAH, Baby! Colors are amazing. Buzzy hasn't even started playing with the possibilities...

They're large and in charge!

B

Buz, nice to see you are still up to your same old stuff and excellent stuff too!

the molded tikis look awesome dood

Couple days ago sunset:

Yesterday's sunset

On 2008-03-11 13:55, 4WDtiki wrote:
Ooh, I'm liken that new plank tiki, Buzz. Interested to see how it ends up.

I finished most of the carving on it the night before last:

I then did a little sanding on it yesterday

Little more sanding to go...

On 2008-03-11 22:38, Cammo wrote:
Saw these today in person and they're SWEETER than SHUGAH, Baby! Colors are amazing. Buzzy hasn't even started playing with the possibilities...

Sweetness? Sugar? Did I hear someone say tikis that look like chocolate? How about a tiki that looks like chocolate, that is chocolate(just one of th epossibilities I'm playing with).
Introducing my first chocolate tiki:

Does that make me a confectioneer now?
I want to make a pendant version of this tiki in chocolate next and market it to diabetic tiki guys. If the tiki guys blood sugar gets too low, he could just munch his pendant and restore his health and vitality instantly. Since it's medical grade, I'll have to charge $125 a piece. Non medical grade will be substantially lower.

On 2008-03-11 14:00, AlohaStation wrote:
I have been way too intimidated to try casting. Did you feel the same before starting? They look great by the way!!

I was definitely intimidated. I think the most inportant thing is to be able to adapt your methods and environment quickly to get the best results. The trial run of one really helped, and it seems like it would be a pain to only do one mod at a time. Good luck if you give it a go.

On 2008-03-11 14:05, Flat Black wrote:
I think you need a mower with more horsepower to be honest.:)

I came home from running errands today and the neighbor's landscaper was working in my front yard. He and his helper did my whoe yard. How many horsepower is two dudes in a pickup with a gas powered weed wacker.

TikiKate: Feeling "punchy" lately?

Benzart: Hi Buddy!

GMAN: I will not rest until all peoples, regardless of race or social class, have bling!

Tikithomas: Thanks man!

I need to see what contest day we're on...
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-03-13 14:21 ]

Not the Grass!!!

R
Robin posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 4:40 PM

Yah Buzzy I know...a failed attempt at humor. I like the new plank tiki. I need something for my home away from home...which is my van. I think something hanging from the rear view mirror would be nice. Must have bling.

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-03-13 19:45 ]

Buzzy you're too funny! He looks positively delicious. Oh, and what a coincidence, I'm diabetic! Maybe you and Babalu should get together and make some tiki bunny chocolates for Easter.

You're cedar plank carving looks great. I like the pattern you carved at the top. Will you let the cedar darken in the sun for a while before putting a finish on it?

LED Tiki

[ Edited by: La Esquina Del Tiki! 2008-03-13 18:57 ]

H
harro posted on Fri, Mar 14, 2008 5:50 AM

hurry up sun and hit that building!!!

ps love the choco army tikis too. you made it look too easy, which i'm sure it ain't.

T

Have I won anything yet? Where is my chocolate brass knuckle tiki mug pendant keychain? Why have I not seen the House of Buzz up lately? Who in the hell mows their lawn at a time like this? Where are my pants?

I believe that today is day number 19 in the number of days contest. Will Robin continue the losing streak? Tune in tomorrow...

Yesterdays sunset:

Today's sunset:

Getting close. Not close enough for Harro. :(

On to tiki related news:
I started another four knuckle bling ring last night. Here it is drawn out, just prior to carving. Each square is one quarter inch:

The back was all drawn out too:

I like to leave a handle to hold on to when I work on smaller pieces. In this case, it's about two feet long. Plenty of wood to get a good grip on. And, the tiki in the background says "Hi."

After a little carving;

After more carving;

Here it is now after a little bit of sanding:

It's just about ready to come off the log

I still have to detail it and carve out the ring part.

On 2008-03-13 15:45, RevBambooBen wrote:
Not the Grass!!!

Technically, it wasn't grass any more: It was chaparral.

Robin and Harro: Good luck tomorrow! And sorry...

On 2008-03-13 18:53, La Esquina Del Tiki! wrote:
Will you let the cedar darken in the sun for a while before putting a finish on it?
LED Tiki

It's getting darker by the hour...Looks different already since that post. I was originally going to char it, but changed my mind and wanted to stain it with golden oak, but now I think I'll let it set and clear coat it. It's getting a real nice red tone to the darker grain.

On 2008-03-14 08:12, Tornhalo wrote:
Have I won anything yet? Where is my chocolate brass knuckle tiki mug pendant keychain? Why have I not seen the House of Buzz up lately? Who in the hell mows their lawn at a time like this? Where are my pants?

What have YOU been up to? Hibernating for the winter?I was wondering if we needed to send out a search party. Answering your questions: No, but we (you included)are all winners in life. In production-You can still prepay for it though. Lost the camera when I cleaned my house a couple weeks ago-Damn clean house! I didn't mow the lawn-I created a fire buffer zone between the fence and my house. No more burn danger! And finally, I forgot.

Currently waiting for rain to water my lawn...
Buzzy Out!

J

Ooooh, I'm feeling lucky!

C

We were driving right in front of Buzzy's house on Hwy. 5 JUST as that sunset happened. I kept looking over to the left to see if Buzzy was up there camera in hand, while driving and looking at the sun at the same time. Called him later to ask if he'd snapped it, and sez Buzz

"Yup. Got it."

Good one, B Man. Love those purple Easter sunsets. May the sun never set on your karma.

Isn't this how they did it on Easter Island??

R
Robin posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 5:45 PM

Drat! Good luck y'all.

B

HAPPY EASTER!!!

Oh wait...that's next week...

Bay Park, we needs more chocolate tikis in the world!

Contest update for Day 20, March 16

Sorry Robin and Harro.

On 2008-03-16 17:45, Robin wrote:
Drat! Good luck y'all.

Thanks for playing Robin. Harro, pray for clouds. Up next: Tiki-Kate and Jentiki. Early predictions forsee a double dose of You lose! tomorrow. Only Mother Nature or the almighty Zeus can make it not so! Tune in tomorrow!

The suspense is killing me. Who will it be?

of days contest

21 Tiki-Kate
23 Jentiki
24 HOKU
26 LLT
28 FlatBlack
29 Closettiki
30 GMAN
31 GROG
32 Harro
50 Bowana
54-46 Bamboo Ben
78 Buzzard

Date sun will hit the building contest

March 17 Jentiki
March 18 Soccertiki
March 23 HOKU
March 24 GMAN
March 25 Closettiki

April 1 Tiki-Kate
April 2 Flat Black
April 13 Bowana
April 15 Buzzard
April 17 LLT
19 Bamboo Ben
August 15, 2009 GROG

On 2008-03-16 11:46, Cammo wrote:
Called him later to ask if he'd snapped it, and sez Buzz."Yup. Got it."Good one, B Man. Love those purple Easter sunsets. May the sun never set on your karma.

thanks Cammo. Here's the photo I snapped moments after you called:

Fireworks for the first time in a while at SeaWorld tonight. By Wednesday, they will have a petition to have them banned because they scare dogs from PB to Point Loma. I think the dogs should toughen up.

Hooray for Seaworld fireworks!

On 2008-03-16 20:06, Babalu wrote:
HAPPY EASTER!!!

I know you must be really excited for Bunny Day...This must be the best time of the year for you. Savor every moment! We'll call it Easter all week. Just for you!

Tiki stuff today: Boring prep work day.

Buzzy Out!

Sunset:

Clearly no winner yet. Soon, very soon...

The ring got cut off the log Easter Island style

I also started shaping the ring part

I made this this afternoon:

All power tools!

It was too dark in my house this evening to carve the little details on the ring, so I did a quick carving on another piece of wood 4WD gave me. I cut about a 5/8" wide sliver off a 2"x 2"x 12" stud yesterday and set about to carve a relief pendant on the end of it. I wanted to do something quick, so I decided to do the logo tiki I used on my toolboxes. Here it is:

The pendant part is` 2" x 4" x 5/8". Still needs a little touch up and some sanding.

The best part about this logo tiki is that it is a knife handle:

The knife blade is 7.5 inches long and is modeled after a WWII Navy issue combat knife

I want to take this to GMANS and clean a buck with it, if I can't just sneak up behind it and slit its throat and kill it with it.

I wonder if I could make a Tiki Gun?
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-03-18 02:34 ]

Tiki Gun - its VERY possible. Check it out...

http://www.billjanney.com

R
Robin posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2008 6:10 AM

I wonder if I could make a Tiki Gun?
Buzzy Out!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If anybody can...you can.

On 2008-03-18 02:19, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
The best part about this logo tiki is that it is a knife handle:

Can I get one of these to go with my tiki brass knuckles?

There is something insanely cool about the knife.

J

Darn it, man! Find that web cam! I'm missing my House of Buzz fix!

I'm still feeling lucky!

C

Yeah, that Tiki Knife is the coolest thing I've ever seen on TC. It can go with your fork & spoon set.

Next up - Buzzy carves a Tiki Chisel.

H

Nice and interesting work Buzzo. Are you and Zaya coming to chop chop? :)

Recent contest updates:

Day 22 March 18 Tuesday. Soccertiki day...

Sorry Soccertiki. :( Good effort for a last minute entry.

Day 23 March 19 Wednesday: Jentiki Day...

Nope.

day 24 March 20 Thursday: Freddie day...

Hit the building, but didn't clear it yet. Your second choice is looking pretty good.

Good luck to all those still in the running! Pray for clouds!

of days contest

26 LLT
28 FlatBlack
29 Closettiki
30 GMAN
31 GROG
32 Harro
50 Bowana
54-46 Bamboo Ben
78 Buzzard

Sun building contest

March 23 HOKU
March 24 GMAN
March 25 Closettiki
April 1 Tiki-Kate
April 2 Flat Black
April 13 Bowana
April 15 Buzzard
April 17 LLT
19 Bamboo Ben
August 15, 2009 GROG

Tiki stuff:

Not much. Just another face log.

Hiltiki: You'll be seeing us on Saturday. :)

Robin and Alohastation: I actually did see a Maori carved gunstock online once. I'd have to do a Witco inspired one instead. A WITCO/Weatherby has a nice ring to it...

TikiKate: I'll totally outfit you for all your tiki themed urban combat gear. The beauty of my knife is that you can take it hrough a metal detector!

JenTiki: Sorry about the losses. I'll go look for that camera, the glasses I lost that day, and Babalu's bolt for his grinder thing right away.

Cammo: That's a US Navy knife, now for a Swoiss army knife.

I'm tired and I feel like carving tonight.

What to do?
Buzzy Out!

Looks like I have a fighting chance on the day one.. was way off on the Date.

I got your package in the mail, but didn't get a chance to bust it open since I was running late to the train station, so in the mailbox it sits. (don't worry he's locked in there so he can't escape).

Thanks again.

Well, you know how shifty us east coasters are.. Always there when the sun comes up.. Never around when it sinks into the ocean. I woudln't trust us either. Shady bunch we are.

I had been laid off from my newish job that I loved.. and got picked up by another company that I hate.. so now I'm working anywhere from 9-11 hours a day.. come home, take care of puppy and then off to bed.

That wooden knife would win hands down in any gunfight as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry I coulnd't get in on this contest, I can't wait to lose the next one tho!!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

But first, let's catch up on the losers...

Friday March 21, day 25

No one picked this day...

Saturday March 22, day 26

Sorry Kinny! Missed it by "that much." Too bad the sun was touching the building when it hit the horizon. It was still a great day!

If there was no fog or clouds on Easter Sunday, Freddie wins...

Let's see how it went:

Sunday March 23, day 27

Freddie: You da winner! Congrats! What do you want?

No one had the number of days contest right. Flatblack was close, but I didn't make plans for no one winning. What to do?
Maybe a backup second contest?

Tiki Stuff:
Did a couple face logs a the chop on Saturday:
This one was carved with chisels:

Dog awith a face log carved with power tools.

That hat thing makes no sense, but I heard taller tikis fetch more money, so I kept that part of the log on to help sustain my lavish lifestyle. It has a martini glass on it. How untiki!

I also started another pendant:

On 2008-03-22 22:27, Tornhalo wrote:
That wooden knife would win hands down in any gunfight as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still going to bring this to said confrontation when it's done. Having some backup never hurts:

Two bucks at the swap meet. Tiki gun coming soon...I cannot wait to kill something with it. Maybe I'll try to shoot a duck.

I just sold a face log, so I need to go make more.
Buzzy Out!

Aw Man!
missed it by One Day!
Typical Ruzic Luck....
oh well!
i felt quite rewarded at the Chop just hanging with ya for a few hours....
That knife is TITS!

On 2008-03-24 16:10, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

That hat thing makes no sense, but I heard taller tikis fetch more money, so I kept that part of the log on to help sustain my lavish lifestyle. It has a martini glass on it. How untiki!

I beg to differ with you, Sir.

Behold the Trader Vic's martini glass from the collection of Hiphipahula.

buzzy,........great contest....
sorry to say i lost again......

but theres always next time....

besides...the humor from your thread is priceless......

HOK

Freddie: You da winner! Congrats!

Aw Yea, Aw right....I'm a Wienner ! :lol: Mahalo for having such great contests Buzzy! You make life so much more pleasant.

I was wondering how the grass was doing? I know Tiki Carver CheeseCake Photo Op Season is fast approaching and I know you like to be on the cutting edge of technology. This helps build awesome ripped forearms and calves...you also can work on your tan at the same time...The '08 Lightning Riding Mower...

Mahalo Buzzy! You Da Man! Freddie :tiki:

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-03-25 03:40 ]

B

The riding lawn mower :lol:

Kiva is looking in top form Buzz...is she back to carving again? That darn dog has da serious skills man!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 7:00 AM

"That knife is TITS!"

I second that. That means the knife is now TWO TITS.

And I like the tiki you carved with just chisels. It looks exactly like a Crazy Al genuine made-in-the-Phillipines limited edition original.

Buzzy I was so close!!!111

By the way I did open the package a few days ago and those guys have been taunting me ever since.. every time I look at them they are sticking out their tongues. :P

Thanks again.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 8:51 PM

Buzzy, I'm awful confused. Since you are the ultimate & definitive source of all Tiki carving information, can you explain what the rules are???

You know, what are the Tiki Carving Rules?

There must be rules, right? Otherwise everybody could just carve whatever they want, however they want, anywhere they want, out of anything they want to, and everybody knows we can't have that.

Please oh please Great Buzzy high on the mountain of experience, what are the Rules of Tiki?

Thanks,
a humble student scratching at the roots of knowledge,
Cam

H
harro posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2008 5:53 AM

damn, well done freddie for winning the comp and look forward to the next one buzzman.

swiss army tiki knife huh, thats a whole other market for you to exploit...

cheers,
harro.

HOK

:lol: Mahalo Harro! A little change of scenery...a panaramic view from where I'm working this past week...Hawaii Loa Ridge.

Starting from the right, working towards the left...

A little overcast at times, but still a nice blue ocean.

Freddie

S

Tiki Gun Tiki Gun! You a sick man :)

You must be busy as hell with those new logs we picked up, man.......no news for three days? How is the dog, anyways? Did it have a nervous breakdown from separation anxiety?

A couple of sunsets:

On 2008-03-30 15:48, Billy the Crud wrote:
You must be busy as hell with those new logs we picked up

I started out by cleaning off these four the day before we got those new ones:

So far, I was able to strip the three I had in my truck on thursday and the four skinny ones I went back and got on friday. Here they are:

I think that still leaves 11 at the stash spot? I might go grab 3 more bigger ones tomorrow morning...

This was the condition of my front yard for the last couple of days:

23 trashcans full of frond waste so far.

How is the dog, anyways? Did it have a nervous breakdown from separation anxiety?

He sulked like this for days:

Sunday was anoter very special day at the House of Buzz:

Visiting artist day featuring CAMMO!

...working on the ZorMok mask.

Cam was guest carving...

...while guest dog Ringo looked on, totally mesmerized by Cammo's carving precision.

Later on, he chewed those logs into matcing Marquesan poles.

Cammo: I'm still compiling the rules of tiki...stay tuned.

Freddie: Nice mower...like that idea. Nice work view too. Looks like my house...reminds me, I need some exterior painting done. :wink:

Kate: since you proved it was tiki, I raised the price.

Kinny: Great tits!

Closetiki and Harro: Good luck in the next contest!

Seeksurf: It has to have a scope too!

Babalu: Are you in China?

My log supply isn't as low as it used to be!
Buzzy Out!

FB

Later on, he chewed those logs into matcing Marquesan poles.

When I was a kid my uncle used to have a big black lab that would take a piece of wood about that big and just gnaw on it until it was completely gone. Something that size, about 2 feet long would be gone in a couple weeks. Never explored that much style though...

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 10:03 AM

Black Labs are totally insane. The bigger, the crazier. My friend Rob had one that would fetch anything. Not just sticks, heavy stuff like rocks, logs, tires, he'd chase down anything we could heave and pull it back to us.

Once Rob experimented with his Lab's obsession, trying heavier and more impossible tasks. He actually phoned me and told me to come over and see. When I arrived, Rob took me to the side of a steep hill behind their house that overlooked a lake. He pushed the heaviest boulder he could find and we BOTH managed to throw it down the hill, where it plopped into the lake. His dog watched us.

Then Rob yelled "FETCH".

The dog looked like he was electrocuted. He tore down the side of the hill and dove into the water.

"What the f..." I asked Rob.

"Watch." he said.

The dog swam underwater came back up for air, ducked down again, going in circles. Then he disappeared for about a minute, appearing again at the shore dragging the boulder with his teeth. The dog then pulled it up the hill, he took about 20 minutes to do it. Finally he dragged it back to our feet.

It was maybe the most amazing athletic event I've ever watched.

By the way, Ringo is sooooo cute!

Ringo looks like a Muppet.......that needs a beer! I'm happy to hear that he didn't freak and split.

Like I mentioned in the chop thread, we have a picture and a plug for the Myspace page in this months "Street Rodder" magazine. Don't know if it's the Hotrod Surf event or the Prowlers car show. I'm going to find it today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies