Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

B

Give "Kiva the Wonder Dog" a hug for me this morning please....thank you.

Today's sunset:

Here's some early in the day progress on the newest carving:

A little bit later in the day, with a little more work done:

Here it was at sunset:

I got another half hour or so of work done on it before it was too dark.

On 2009-06-11 12:40, Babalu wrote:
Give "Kiva the Wonder Dog" a hug for me this morning please....thank you.

Done. Stinky dog needs a bath.

I was going to work on the drum tonight, but i'm too tired.
Buzzy Out!

B

Love the drums , you are officially our "little drummer boy". :o
Don't you ever do Moai any more?
The marq is looking Cool.
Can I have Wonder Dog's signature please? Go KIVA, Gooo Kiva.
I think you should do a couple more drums too?
I also think you should take a Florida vacation soon!
Bye

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Jun 15, 2009 8:10 AM

It was Brady Bunch Tiki Idol Pendant making day at the House of Buzz this weekend!

Here's Buzzy all set up, and starting the process...

Next he measures out equal parts of Resin A and B...

Then the equal parts are put together mixed well and poured into the molds...

This is how it first looks when poured into the mold...

After a few minutes the coolest thing happens. When it starts to set the clear liquid magically starts turning white kind of like a cloud forming, and within second the whole thing turns white...

Of course none of this would have happened properly without the supervisors being on duty! First shift was Kiva...

While Kiva was keeping the factory running smoothly Ringo was taking his union break. Notice the comfy wood-chip lounge area...

Then after only a few short minutes.... TA DAAAAAA

All you have to do is repeat that a whole bunch of times, and you get this...

Finally after a long day of hard work it was nap time...

It's always fun at the factory!

Zaya

H

Nice pictures Zaya, I need to get one of them pendants next time I see you guys.

The weather guys said it was going to rain and it actually did. No sunset yesterday as the "storm" rolled in:

We have to go back a couple days to get our sunset fix:

Yesterday, I worked on the quick version of the In the Back of the Bali Hai Looking tiki

Here it is real close to being all carved up:

After some sanding and burning:

More sanding and the last details now carved in:

A little stain and that's how it is now:

I also have finished finishing the tikiyaki drum. Here is a bad light picture of it half way through the process:

I have the hide soaking in the tub right now and will be putting it on in a couple of hours.

On 2009-06-12 03:06, Benzart wrote:

I also think you should take a Florida vacation soon!
Bye

I'm trying, but Florida is just so far away. I'm really bummed that my trip out there didn't pan out this year. It will happen...

Zaya: thanks for the post. BuddyCat's taking the weekday shift now, watching over the factory:

I wonder waht happened to all the lizards? :(

Hiltiki: we'll see you soon! It is tiki season, after all.

Buzzy Out!

S

Looking good Buzzy! Do you ever slow down.

M
mp posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 7:07 PM

Buzzy, your the man. The Tikiyaki drum is Killer!
Can we check out the factory at Oasis time? MP

H

Very nice drum, wow.

B

Awesome stuff,as,usual Buzz.

Yesterday's sunset

I worked on the new drum yesterday. Here is the upper part after one pass with the veiner:

And now the whole drum after a couple more passes:

Now I have to round all the edges and corners of the patterns and shape the rim.

I also got the head on the Tikiyaki drum:

It's still pretty damp but I have it in the sun drying right now.

On 2009-06-16 16:08, seeksurf wrote:
Looking good Buzzy! Do you ever slow down.

No. I think I'm actually gaining speed right now! Do you ever have trouble keeping up?

On 2009-06-16 19:07, mp wrote:
Can we check out the factory at Oasis time? MP

Sure. I'm only a couple miles away from the hotel. It's kinda hectic around here that week. Ye be warned...

On 2009-06-16 19:11, hiltiki wrote:
Very nice drum, wow.

Why thank you Hiltiki!

On 2009-06-16 19:14, Benzart wrote:
Awesome stuff,as,usual Buzz.

thanks Benz

It's time to "get rid of" another log.
Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 17, 2009 5:17 PM

Great looking drums Buzzmeister. You're a machine.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jun 17, 2009 5:38 PM

the tikiyaki drum turned out awesome,Great work, Im glad they decided to go to the expert oon this one..

what are the posters ??

On 2009-06-17 16:56, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I worked on the new drum yesterday. Here is the upper part after one pass with the veiner:

Almost afraid to ask but, what's a veiner? Something to do with shrimp? An old German man talking about his weiner? What???

Excellent drums, per usual!

T

Wow, Drum looks amazing !
Picking it up tomorrow - WHOOO!!!!!!

T

Picked up my drum from Buzzy yesterday.

Amazing ! Not only in looks but tone....the low end on this thing just shakes the house !

Buzzy is the Master Tiki drum maker.

Big Mahalos Buzz....this made my year !

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-06-20 09:19 ]

Very nice , realy kewl detail . man this one makes fora great sleepin place . Just jokin

A recent sunset:

I forgot to take final pictures of the Tikiyaki drum, so this is the best one i have of it:

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I envision a day when all the cool tiki bands have a matching album,drum, and mug.

I spent a couple hours at the end of last week carving a waist high Moai:

For my next for fun project,I want to see if I can make a small drum that works. I have a few really dense logs that are skinny. For a test run, I grabbed a 15"h x 7.5"w piece of one of them logs to see how hard and how long it would take to make a smaller sized drum. I started out the other night by working on the legs. Here it is the next morning next to the other test drum I'm working on too:

I rounded out all the designs on the other drum since my last update. I'll sand it in another few days.

Next step was roughing out the tapered part of the drum and the ledge

After that, I did the initial hollowing:

The Brady Idol blesses this drum!

Getting the part behind the legs hollowed out was a very hard task. That triangle shaped cut out part between them only compounded the problem. Super hard to fit any tools in there and most of it is against the grain

happiest moment in drum making for me is the punch through where I first see daylight. Here is a picture immediatly after that special moment:

The underside looks ugly because of that space and grain problem:

After I punched through, it was easier to reach the back of the legs and carve with the grain from the top. After using some gouges to clean eveything up a little, I do a final cleaning with some sandpaper wrapped around a tool handle to get rid of all mess:

Last thing I did was clean up the tapered part of the drum with a sander...

and level out the rim:

All the crappy part of making a drum is done on this one so now the fun part begins!

On 2009-06-17 17:17, GROG wrote:
Great looking drums Buzzmeister. You're a machine.

Hi GROG!

On 2009-06-17 19:26, RevBambooBen wrote:
what are the posters ??

check that punk junk thread over in bilge

On 2009-06-17 17:38, kirby wrote:
the tikiyaki drum turned out awesome,Great work,

thanks Kirby, This one was fun.

On 2009-06-17 19:31, 4WDtiki wrote:

Almost afraid to ask but, what's a veiner?

It's the round cutty thing with the sides.

On 2009-06-20 09:17, tikiyaki wrote:
Picked up my drum from Buzzy yesterday.

Big Mahalos Buzz....this made my year !

have fun with that thing! You lucky guy, you! Someday I'll have drum like that! Someday...

On 2009-06-20 09:29, tyger jymmy wrote:
man this one makes fora great sleepin place .

He knocked it down getting up on it the other day. Tiki down!

Scrubs ripoff idol anyone?

Coming soon!
Buzzy Out!

Great work Buzzy, you are the Drum Master. I can see now why you're the only one making these babies! There's a lot of initial work that has to be done before the fun begins. Great in-process images.

On 2009-06-25 23:37, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

The underside looks ugly because of that space and grain problem:

This picture seems vaguely obsene and reminds me of the 70's.

wow, the tikiyaki drum is beautiful and functional! you are my hero, buzzy. also, i just found your career retrospective in the test thread. that's an amazing portfolio!

Today's sunset:

It was mostly cloudy here today. Glad it wasn't hot like the weekend.

Speaking of the weekend, I spent mine producing my new pendant from the famous tv shows ripoff line

Introducing the Ripoff KCScrubs Version of the Famed Brady's Cursed tiki:

Sales info here

I also got the Waist High Moai all finished up over the weekend:

I had a log that wasn't that great lying around for the last week or so. I couldn't do much with it because it had a couple stringy parts that were not very carvable. Perfect for a log drawing tiki. I crammed a tiki in between the dead spots and hoped for the best.

I started this pretty late in the day. I planned on carving real fast and finishing by sunset. Behind the carving stand, the sun sets my pace:

hand roughed out with a big v chisel:

sanded with an angle grinder and then parts were deepened by hand again, details added, and resanded with the angle grinder again

BURNT!

I saw that Burnt guy from American Hot Rod on some other car show. On the episode I saw, he quit because he couldn't get parts. Then they fired the parts guy.

Sanded. I noticed after this picture was taken that the chin cleft was off, so I fixed it, re BURNT a couple spots and then resanded it, twice. First time with an angle grinder and then with a quarter sheet sander

All done and the sun just hitting the clouds:

A few minutes later, the sunset turned to this:

On 2009-06-26 05:18, 4WDtiki wrote:
This picture seems vaguely obsene and reminds me of the 70's.

you'll be happy to know I brought it up close to modern day standards:

On 2009-06-29 00:52, kingstiedye wrote:
wow, the tikiyaki drum is beautiful and functional! you are my hero, buzzy. also, i just found your career retrospective in the test thread. that's an amazing portfolio!

thanks Bullet! Good to see you around these parts again. It's going to fun having you over here as a guest at the House of Buzz someday.
You can easily find that portfolio thread by clicking on that Jonesey sculpture of me in my signature:

Sometimes I broadcast live when I'm carving at night and you can find that site by clicking on the camera:

I think I'll put on my new DVD of Waiting and do some night carving on the small drum.
But first, I eat!
Buzzy Out!

BD

howdy buzzy,
once again all your stuff looks great! someday i'd love to hear what your drums sounds like, (though i thought i felt a low rumble coming from the west just the other day). maybe you can figure out how to download sound on your page. your waist high moai looks a bit familiar, did you use bruce campbell as a model for him?

love the stuff buzzy.

bd

B

Dude...it would be cool to see one of these Moais turned into a drum...

HAPPY 4TH BUZZY!!!

Sunset sometime:

Another big drum time. Here was the log I dragged out of the pile a few days ago

I started stripping it down with my trusty Ryobi planer. After getting through half the log, the planer started whistling really loud. Then it smelled like it was burning popcorn. Then it stopped working.
RIP my second Ryobi planer

You served me long and well!

Luckily I had the draw knife as backup. It's faster, but much more effortful. It did get the job done,though.

now I'm hollowing it out. I only have to make this hole 36 inches deeper and a little wider than it is.

I'm hollowing it out before I square it up so it will be lighter and easier to deal with. It's way hard to square these things up when they weigh a ton. It's like you're fighting two battles at the same time doing it that way. Divide and conquer...

This guy is undergoing final sanding now:

I started at the top and am working my way down. It will be a while still.

The factory is in full blown, all out Scrubs/Brady idol production these days:

And finally, I put finish on this guy:

On 2009-07-04 08:31, big daddy wrote:
howdy buzzy,
once again all your stuff looks great! someday i'd love to hear what your drums sounds like, (though i thought i felt a low rumble coming from the west just the other day). maybe you can figure out how to download sound on your page.

I can probably play one on the JustinTV channel. Sound wouldn't be that good. Cammo has some new camera that can probably do that. I'll see if he can do it.

On 2009-07-04 10:22, Babalu wrote:
Dude...it would be cool to see one of these Moais turned into a drum...
HAPPY 4TH BUZZY!!!

Thanks Babalu and

happy 4th to everyone else too!
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jul 5, 2009 6:44 AM

*"Cammo has some new camera that can probably do that. I'll see if he can do it." *

My new camera has a pretty decent microphone and yes - shoots .mov-to-youtube.

It ALSO has amazing "sunset" and "fireworks" settings, that apparently shoot low light, high color images in freakin' super high resolution. I haven't tried it cause I don't have the Pacific Ocean for a backyard like Buzzy does, and he didn't invite me over for July 4th to glom the Sea World fireworks and swig blue beer.

B

Sad end to a tool that has served you well. :( :(
How much of that stripped log surface do you remove with the saw, grinder and Chisel?
Inquiring minds and lazy hands want to know??

Today's sunset:

On 2009-07-05 12:16, Benzart wrote:
Sad end to a tool that has served you well. :( :(

Hey Benzart! Sad days are always followed by happier days. Today I went to the swap meet hoping to find a replacement for Ryobi II. A while back when my mouse sander died, I found these two ladies who were selling a nearly brand new one for $15 with all the acessories. When I found it, I was pullingout my cash when one of the ladies says "that isn't the price." Then she gets on her phone and talks to someone for a couple minutes. I'm thinking I'll have to pay $20, which is almost a good deal, and she says the real price is $5. I couldn't argue witht that. So I find the same two ladies today and they have two Ryobi Planers on hand. One was brand new and one was barely used at all. The brand new one was half what the real price in a store is, $40. the used one, was $50. the cheaper brand new one was the obvious choice. Here it is, my new tool, which I named Ryobi III:

At the cost of this one,I think I can burn through Ryobi VI before all my Ryobis cost as much as one Log wizard.

How much of that stripped log surface do you remove with the saw, grinder and Chisel?
Inquiring minds and lazy hands want to know??

If you're asking because you saw the saw, grinder and chisel, in the picture, then you should know this: that was guest carver day over here and Pat was using all them tools. he was just around the corner and out of view when that picture happened.
Getting to your question about log cleaning: Usually I make a choice between two tools to clean a log, the curved draw knife or the Ryobi. the biggest determining factor is the thickness of the bark. If its thin, Ryobi all the way. Thick, the draw knife.
the deepest the Ryobi goes is 3/32". that means running optimally, it takes 11-12 passes with it to go down one inch. A log with a large circumference and thick bark means a lot of passes with the Ryobi. Real good for tricep and deltoid develpoment, however.
The draw knife goes a lot deeper, but it's all full body manpower instead of a motor to get the job done. This really works well to develop the upper abs, as well as the deltoids, lats, and triceps. The draw knife probably does an inch in 3-4 passes, so it's better for building strength, rather than bulk.
both yield the same end result, it's just what you want to put yourself through. Either way, it takes a lot to possess a physique like the one I have. what were we talking about again, being lazy?

Speaking of lazy, here's how I spent a lazy Sunday. I gave myself the goal of going getting 12" into the drum by the end of the day today. I was aready about 6 in from the day before. that goal was about a third of the way down into it. I was secretly hoping I could get about 16-18" before the end of the day. I charged on for an eternity and got as far as I could reach from the top anymore:

From there, I still had a few hours of light left. I came in from he bottom and as it got dark outside: daylight from within the drum!

right now I cannot move my arms or shoulders. My hands don't work either...

Maybe i can finally make the Ultimate Tiki Guy Workout Video with Cammo's new camera.
Buzzy Out!

L

I really like the stain on your latest Moai Buzzy. Hope you had a great 4th!

HOK

On 2009-07-05 21:49, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

"My hands don't work either"... That's what she said! :blush: :lol:

Great swapmeet finds on the tools "B"....Freddie

I was so into my carving task that I missed the sunset shot by a couple minutes:

I have the new big drum hollowed out more, squared, and the scale drawing of it done. Now I just have to make the magic happen

I was so excited about Ryobi III that I tore into a log to celebrate

The sanding on this is going slowly because it's a pain in the ass, but eventually I'll have to be finished:

And finally, I have a couple new volunteers waiting for time and inspiration:

Actually, all I need is the time part.

On 2009-07-05 22:24, leleliz wrote:
I really like the stain on your latest Moai Buzzy.

Thanks leleliz! I must have done something right on that Moai because it lasted only two days in a retail setting before it vanished.

On 2009-07-06 03:04, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

great swapmeet finds on the tools "B"....Freddie

I still wonder why the new one was cheaper than the slightly used one? Swap meet math or swap meet logic...

Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2009 6:34 AM

I kind of feel sorry for it.
It looks so fresh, innocent and naive - little does it know about it's future work schedule at the House of Buzz.

And are those two sweet old ladies with the cel phones fronting all of San Diego County's stolen hardware? Are they doing half a million a year, tax free?

T

Hey buzzy, so is that ryobi the pad sander or belt sander? not too sure from the pics. From looking at their website it looks like that don't make that particular model anymore.

Do you have any experience with their Corner Cat sander?

thanks! :)

Yesterday's sunset picture turned out a little blurry:

It looks better than today's...

I didn't get home from work in time to catch today's sunset:

Just missed it! Drat!

Today was my first day back at my old job of pretending like I carve out on the Hotel lawn for the tourists. Here was today's festivities:

I didn't bring the whole setup I used last year or an actual tiki to carve this time. I wanted to make sure everything was hassle free with the load in this year before I go all out. I did bring an unfinished drum and spread my tools around it so it looked like I was just on a break from carving:

Here was my view from my table as the old timey boat came in:

The season started out real well: I ended up selling a lot of stuff to the tourists, and even better, the hotel management asked me to carve three tikis for them.

Back at home today, my new buddy spider patrolled the inside of the new drum:

The rest of my waking hours were spent finishing up and sending out the biggest single day of BradyScrubs orders I've had so far.

All I want to do tomorrow is eat Weinerschnitzel and carve on the big drum.

On 2009-07-09 09:25, TheBigT wrote:
Hey buzzy, so is that ryobi the pad sander or belt sander? not too sure from the pics.
Do you have any experience with their Corner Cat sander?

I've never used the corner cat. I have a Black and Decker mouse. I got it for $5 from the ladies at the swap meet I got the planer from.
Speaking of planer:
It's actually the Ryobi HPL51k planer

Here's an old post I did on it a while ago. Sorry about the small pictures:
Ryobi planer demonstrated

And here's another one where I discuss the merits of the Ryobi as opposed to the Log Wizard:
Ryobi vs. Log Wizard
No one ever took me up on the challenge.

On 2009-07-09 06:34, Cammo wrote:
I kind of feel sorry for it. It looks so fresh, innocent and naive - little does it know about it's future work schedule at the House of Buzz.
And are those two sweet old ladies with the cel phones fronting all of San Diego County's stolen hardware?

And it was so much cheaper than a store new one, I can be even more reckless and harsh with it!
They said they own a pawn shop too. Besides, they don't let you sell stolen stuff at the swap meet.

Speaking of swap meets, I think there's one tomorrow.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-07-09 22:30 ]

On 2009-07-09 22:28, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

GET THEE A BLACK TABLECLOTH! :lol:

And here's another one where I discuss the merits of the Ryobi as opposed to the Log Wizard:
Ryobi vs. Log Wizard
No one ever took me up on the challenge.

I missed this when first posted. Let me sharpen the blades and we'll go for it!

It always took me longer than 10 minutes to hook the thing up, so I bought a second saw to leave it on. :D

BD

buzzy,
i feel for you, to have to look at that view for days on end. how do you do it? it must be torture. is that a der weinerschnitzel restaurant? haven't seen one of those in years and when i was younger my parents wouldn't take me to that joint. supposedly not good for me.

bd

ps oh yeah, the drums, once again beautiful as always!

T

Buzzy, thanks for the links man! The post about the planer comparison was hilarious! No wonder I couldn't find your ryobi on their website - I didn't even check the planer category.

Yeah, I have a Black & Decker Mouse. It was great while it worked (for about 1 yr). That damn thing can't take my abuse. You know the front part of the base where you can screw on the different little attachment heads? That damn thing broke off. It couldn't take the stress of changing the attachment shapes. I was still using it for large flat areas but now the motor doesnt run unless you take thing apart and just hold the motor in your hand. I don't know if the motor brushes are worn out or what, but it's not serviceable anyway.

So I think I'll be buying a higher grade detail sander soon....

Today's sunset:

On 2009-07-10 06:43, big daddy wrote:
is that a der weinerschnitzel restaurant? haven't seen one of those in years and when i was younger my parents wouldn't take me to that joint. supposedly not good for me.

Yes, that would be Der Weinerschnitzel. Like this Tiki midmoaidern classic Polynesian inspired A frame example:

The one I go to in PB is about 1.2 miles from my front door and is an aframe one like that one above. I'm doing urban archeology when I take a break from carving. That's how tiki I am.

As for Derweiner being bad for you...lies! Just like santa and the easter bunny!

Both Kiva and I found the secret to good health and longevity is a balanced diet of chili dogs and chili fries:

they've been running a special for $3 lately: 2 chili dogs and an order of chili fries. When I go "buffett style", I add a mustard dog for 99 cents more.
There's this one guy who works there who gives Kiva a free hot dog every time we go. We call him "the cool guy".

When I was younger, my friend and I were feasting on a pile of mustard dogs that were on sale for 19 cents each. My friend said we could feed the poor in this nation if we would just put a weinerschnitel in all the poor neighborhoods and run the 19 cent hot dog special.

On 2009-07-10 08:44, TheBigT wrote:
Buzzy, thanks for the links man! The post about the planer comparison was hilarious! No wonder I couldn't find your ryobi on their website - I didn't even check the planer category.

Yeah, I have a Black & Decker Mouse. It was great while it worked (for about 1 yr). That damn thing can't take my abuse.

I'm on my second one now. The velcro that holds the paper on fell off after about a week of owning it. I'd complain, but it was only $5. what I hate is the sand paper cost. After tax, it's over $1 a piece. I use a 1/4 sheet ryobi sander for most of my initial sanding because it's way cheaper, paper wise.

On 2009-07-10 05:36, 4WDtiki wrote:
#1 GET THEE A BLACK TABLECLOTH! :lol:

#2 I missed this when first posted. Let me sharpen the blades and we'll go for it!

It always took me longer than 10 minutes to hook the thing up, so I bought a second saw to leave it on. :D

#1 I am a special status vendor. I bring my own setup and put it wherever I want. they like me to be out in the front to draw people into the event. I guess I'm a better draw than a pile of soap and dog food samples on a black tablecloth. All those black table cloth ones are dog eat dog, first come first serve, get there early for the good tables, tables. I roll up with my own table and always put it in the prime real estate. And, MY table looks best of all with my tongan fake tapa material tabletop.

#2 I don't ever need to, or ever have, sharpened the blades on my ryobi. The ryobi is always plug in ready. Fine on the race, but the sharpening time has to be added to your total time because that seems to be a necessary thing to do with your inferior tool choice. I'll spot you the install time because you spent even more $$$ on another chainsaw. You ever have to make a quick run up to the gas station to grab some gas before you fire up the old gas powered log wizard?

#3 So you now have a dedicated chainsaw motor with the log wizard blades affixed? Hmmmmm, sounds like how my ryobi motor runs the very same blades, but in a smaller, lighter, and more user friendly housing. So for the cost of the log wizard and a second chainsaw, you now have a very expensive ryobi planer that looks like a chainsaw with a blade bolted on the end. Does it even have a depth adjustment? I think how clean and uniform each tool leaves the surface needs to be taken into account also...

You log wizard guys will never learn...
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-07-11 01:59 ]

Today's sunset:

I've been working on the new big drum last couple of days. I started by measuring out and rough carving the top part:

After doing a little work on the rim, it was time to start the bottom part. First step was to do a scale drawing of it:

After doing the initial drawing, I do a large scaled version the same size as the log is to make a stencil from:

I do a final tweaking of the drawing and then trace it to make a stencil from it.

Next step is to trace it on both sides of the log:

And after it's traced on:

I'll just follow all the lines with my tools and it will end up as a couple of tikis with a drum on top.

All the work is done now: carving time!
Buzzy Out!

thanx for the cool pics buzzy. much appreciated!
tony

T

New drum is gonna be cool, cool, cool!

Do you make scale drawings for all your work or mostly just the drums?

Just missed the sunset today:

It was real hot out on the patio today so I carved in the livingroom with the fan on me. I had to wait for the sun to completely disappear before I went outside because when I tried to go out earlier in the day, I strained my rods and cones.

I got some work on the bottom part of the drum done this afternoon:

On 2009-07-13 07:09, martini kings wrote:
thanx for the cool pics buzzy. much appreciated!
tony

More coming...
Enjoy!

On 2009-07-13 07:36, TheBigT wrote:
New drum is gonna be cool, cool, cool!
Do you make scale drawings for all your work or mostly just the drums?

I only recently started doing the scale drawings. A couple years ago, I would take photos of a log with visible marks every 12" up it and print it on my computer. Then I would draw a tiki on the picture and transfer it on to the log. I could get it close based on the corresponding 12" marks on the log/photo. On the Frankie's chairs, I did a rougher version to make sure design elements wouldn't end up in stress points on the chair. It ws like the graph paper way, without the graph. The graph paper way I do it now gets it real real close to where I need it to be. It saves a lot of calculating and erasing time on the log. you just have to account for the bend of the log on the sides of the design. I think the two big Maori guys I did a few months ago were the first ones I ever did a scale drawing down to the 1/2 inch of before working on the log. I did it like that on those two because the logs were too heavy to lift up to see that everything looked right after drawing it on. I figured as long as the drawing in exact scale looked good, then the carving drawn on the log the same size would look right when carved. I've only done the scale drawings for one other drum, because like this drum, it had to be as close to a source picture that I was provided as possible.

If global warming accelerates here any further, I'm all for Vampirism.
It's just one way to beat the heat!
Buzzy Out!

T

I only recently started doing the scale drawings. A couple years ago, I would take photos of a log with visible marks every 12" up it and print it on my computer. Then I would draw a tiki on the picture and transfer it on to the log. I could get it close based on the corresponding 12" marks on the log/photo. On the Frankie's chairs, I did a rougher version to make sure design elements wouldn't end up in stress points on the chair. It ws like the graph paper way, without the graph. The graph paper way I do it now gets it real real close to where I need it to be. It saves a lot of calculating and erasing time on the log. you just have to account for the bend of the log on the sides of the design. I think the two big Maori guys I did a few months ago were the first ones I ever did a scale drawing down to the 1/2 inch of before working on the log. I did it like that on those two because the logs were too heavy to lift up to see that everything looked right after drawing it on. I figured as long as the drawing in exact scale looked good, then the carving drawn on the log the same size would look right when carved. I've only done the scale drawings for one other drum, because like this drum, it had to be as close to a source picture that I was provided as possible.

If global warming accelerates here any further, I'm all for Vampirism.
It's just one way to beat the heat!
Buzzy Out!

Thanks! I did a lot of erasing on the one I'm currently working on...

If you've seen the news in Texas - you know we're suffering too! :(

I don't know what pics I like more, the drum in progress, the sunsets or the chilidogs.
hmmmmmm?
lunch time.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Buzz, your drums look like the BEST in the universe...seriously.

Today's sunset:

Once again I was confined to the house all day because of the heat.

I had the other tiki on the other side of the drum to do today. Here is a photo play by play

Forehead, top of the nose, and one eye started:

Eyes done and space between the legs carved out:

Mouth started:

Cheeks, lower eye area done:

Under the nose and top of arms:

Nose details and arm details started:

Body cleared out

Pretty much finished:

The whole drum:

the sides are flat and have the arms emerging from them as well as the ears:

On 2009-07-14 12:25, bigtikidude wrote:
I don't know what pics I like more, the drum in progress, the sunsets or the chilidogs.

That is indeed, a difficult choice. I think i'll keep posting them all just to be safe.

On 2009-07-14 18:45, surfintiki wrote:
Buzz, your drums look like the BEST in the universe...seriously.

Thanks Surfintiki! I'm having a blast making all these. This one is for a famous tiki band and was designed by a famous tiki celebrity. I'm just bringing the sketch to life.

Buzzy Out!

B

Love to see the progress reports, your drums are going to be internationally Famous, Watch!

PS.Oh yeah, it's Cool over hear, no summertime sweat yet!
And we have a few bridges for sale cheep. :o

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies