Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

H

I wish you would get better soon darn it!

Sunset with no clouds a couple days ago

Since then had a little marine layer come in and scare away the sunset.

No color...

Didn't carve anything cause I didn't feel like I could. However, I did a little low impact project this afternoon and evening that I felt like I could handle.

It started with me being in the right place at the right time yesterday. I picked up a few of these for free:

I took the sunglass racks out and the wood panel that separated the display portion from the storage portion. It had two shelves in the back that were now exposed.
My plan was to put some of my cocojoes crap in it for display. Before I decorated it, I loaded it up to make sure it would be lit well enough.

It worked perfect. The next step was to add some tropical flavor to it. After I unloaded it, that is...

I put two pieces of 1" bamboo along the two metal frame edges that were exposed when I took the original false back off. Then I split 1" bamboo pieces to cover the front of the two shelves.
I had some bamboo runner lying around that just happened to fit perfectly on the back panel, which is actually a hinged door.
Here is a picture with the runer and first pieces of bamboo.

I mounted the shelves forward a little so the light would shine down the back wall and light the lower shelves a little better

I was going to stop there, but I really didn't like the way the back looked, with all the metal exposed. The wooden sides needed work too.

So, I cut some 2" bamboo and split it to cover the back corners

I also cut some pieces of matting to put over the wood on the sides.

Looks way better that way. Glad I took the extra time to do those things.

I was also able to remove the front panel with the logo on it. I will either use it as a book shelf or rig another light in it and make another display shelf.

Now I just need to decorate the rest of my house to match it. :o
Buzzy Out!

HOK

Hey Dracula Buzzy, those display cases are looking terriffic...your Lava collection is exploding, :) but I still see some empty space left....must get more Lava :) Aloha, Freddie

nice work!!! but are you supposed to be luggin shelves around??? dont go hurtin yourself again...

T

I like it Buzzy! Perfect for all those mugs you could be collecting in your down time!

B

Super finds, Watch your Back!

Buzzy, that is a beautiful shelfing unit you built! And you weren't feeling that well.

GGet better soon, enjoy those sunsets!

Amy

A little sunset to warm up with tonight:

It was real cold until about noon. Then the clouds burned off and it was nice.

Daylight savings makes the sun go down late now.

HOKu: I think you gave me lava fever. The only remedy seems to be more lava...

Clysdalle: It has wheels on it. And, I had someone load it in the truck for me. A tow rope, gravity and some leverage got it out, no problem. And, the back opens up so I didnt have to reach and bend to put anything in. So easy a cripple could do it, and I did...
Tornhalo: After I complete my lava collection, I might pick up a mug or two. For now, must get more lava...And another fixed up case for more lava.
Benzart: I know, I know! But I was going crazy not doing anything, and all this stuff was lightweight work. It was about two hours work, tops. And I'm still alive...
Queen K: Thanks! I'm definitely on the mend these days.

I've been feeling better last couple of days. Tried carving for about and hour on the eternal fence post tiki project this afternoon. When I still felt fine this evening, I rolled a log into the living room and gave carving it a shot.

Feels like forever since I carved.
Feels good to get going again.

If it wasn't so late I'd fry up some bacon.
Buzzy Out!

I felt a couple raindrops today.

Yucky sky stole today's sunset.

Tiki update:
Now he has arms

Now he will have legs and feet

Buzzy Out!

buzzy new guy is looking good! thanks for the progress shots, always helps.
hes gonna turn out good

What's up Duddy? Here's some more progress. Started the headress and worked on the feet. Did a little to shape the face too.

More to do...

Thirty more minutes until my favorite show, The Girls Gone Wild Commercial, begins.

Buzzy Out!

HOK

On 2007-03-20 01:59, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
HOKu: I think you gave me lava fever. The only remedy seems to be more lava...

Just think of your Lava Collection as a visual library of future Tikis...:) Maybe you can write them off as a business expense :tiki:

hes looking goood. liking the headdress design you got going there.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 21, 2007 7:12 PM

Good to see you carving, that shelf unit looks great too :)

Today's sunset

Getting close to being done with this guy.

Duddy: Thanks man.
Hewey: Looks like you've been busy over there. Good to hear from you, as always. I have a couple more of them shelves on the agenda too.
Freddie: Couple more write offs and I can qualify for EIC!

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-03-22 00:48 ]

B

Cool stuff Buzz Park Bay guy, I Love the different headdresses you seem to conjure up
outta nowhere. definitely original/traditional! Take it eazy, at the rate you are going, you'll be messing up your back again any day now. Love the sunsets

i like the little smirk you gave him there. abouts how big is this piece?
always liking the sky pictures.

buzz looking very nice keep up good work

Yesterdays sunset

It was actually raining on me while I was snapping that shot.

Benzart: Was feeling a little fatigued yesterday so I didn't carve anything. I'll probably give it a shot again tonight. Have to wait and see.
TDuddy: That tiki is a mere 30 inches high, or almost 80cm in unamerican length.
Marcus: Always a pleasure having you stop by the House of Buzz. Thanks for the praise. Come again soon!

Back before I took my little hurt break, I finished up that skiny armed Ku bling pendant.
Here he is after I put about 6 coats of clear on him

Even though he is a pendant, he can still stand up.

I wanted to go to Trader Joe's to get the new Tiki bags before they run out. But, I didn't know what to wear. I mean, to me, this is an official Tiki Event, and I must dress accordingly. I also have to stand out from the Hawaiian shirted "full timers", or managers of Trader Joes, and the old surf dudes who always wear Hawaiian shirts every day. I wanted to go a little casual, so I didn't want to wear my really big pendant. I decided that I should wear the casual Friday Tiki ensemble, which includes a tiki event tshirt, an unbuttoned Hawaiiam shirt which has already been worn to two previous tiki events, and the international symbol of a tiki guy-the tiki pendant.
Here is how it looks all together:

I put a fake mexican silver necklace that I bought for $5 and a pepsi at San Miguel in '92. Glad I held on to it for so long. Now I can call it a " vintage tiki necklace." The word vintage always adds to the credibility of the piece, regardless of its individual merits.

I'm going to win the tiki oasis costume contest this year when I dress as a Trader Joe's Tiki Bag.
Bagman Buzzy Out!

H

Buzzy, how do we know that is your picture? this could be anyone in the tiki loving world??

Yesterday's sunset was an exact opposite of the day before...

See. It's vice versa.

The log I was working on had a couple spots that were not holding up well to being carved, and it started to crack, so I had to scale back my ambitions on this one a bit and wrap it up.
I'm going to have to finish up the chin lines with the dremel. If I try to chisel it out, I'll lose a big chunk I do not want to recarve or try to glue back on.

On 2007-03-23 16:20, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy, this could be anyone in the tiki loving world??

Hiltiki: Exactly! I had hoped I would blend into the tiki environment perfectly! Marked as a tiki guy and recognized accordingly. Now I want to work on my truck. Maybe put some white vinyl tiki stickers on the back window and get an "I'd rather be Outrigging!" liscense frame for it. when I drive defensively and others cut me off in retaliation for going slow and cautious, I want them to yell, "Get the f^%$# out of the way you stupid tiki guy!" You know, kind of like public recognition for my dedication to tikiness in all aspects of my new tiki guy lifestyle. Thank you for not being able to distinguish any unique or diverse features of my person in the previous picture, it means that to even the trained tiki eye, I can not be distinguished from any other true tiki guy. If I was standing next to, say soccertiki, you would mistake us for identical twins now.

I can only be recognized as a Tiki Guy now.
Buzzy Out!

B

YEaaay, I Think The Buzz is Back folks! I love your new Tiki guy outfit too! WHat can I say that hasn't been said yet, just Watch your Back And Wear that dust Mask son!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 24, 2007 6:03 PM

Yay! You can bask in your "Tikiguyness" you strived to reach. Congratulations, we knew
you could do it. Your vehicle will not have arrived, until Bamboo Ben slaps one of his stickers
on the bumper without your knowledge. The bastard got my jeep at my luau last year.

GROG hopes you didn't sell GROG's maoi. GROG want.

Keep on the road to recovery Tikiguy!

----GROG out.

On 2007-03-24 18:03, GROG wrote:
Yay! You can bask in your "Tikiguyness" you strived to reach. Congratulations, we knew
you could do it. Your vehicle will not have arrived, until Bamboo Ben slaps one of his stickers
on the bumper without your knowledge. The bastard got my jeep at my luau last year.

GROG hopes you didn't sell GROG's maoi. GROG want.

Keep on the road to recovery Tikiguy!

----GROG out.

Thanks Grog!

Now Buzzy is gonna be on the look out when I'm around!!

I'll bring a bag of sawdust to toss at him for a little destraction!!

Got a new batch(#3) coming up for Oasis. ( of course they will be of limited edition sooooo you got to leave it on to be cool!)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2007 6:03 AM

Nice work Buzzy, hope you're feeling good today.

Talking 'bout stickers, on the one window I've got a San Diego Tiki Factory sticker, Bamboo Ben, Shag, and Stuff-o-rama stickers, amongst a few hot rod ones too :D And then there's a whole 'nother window on the other side...

Those new trader joes bags are super fricken cool I've been collecting them to cut up for some kind of project...
OK what does this mean?
-Esperanza

Saturday's end

Sunday's end

I'm really liking the quiet respect I receive from the public when I go out as myself, the tiki guy. It may sound strange, but I somehow feel superior, kind of like I have a hidden gun in my waistband that gives me an extra rush of confidence. I almost feel a sense of entitlement most of the time now. For instance, I was at Albertson's, and I took 14 items in the 10 items or less line. I felt like I have the right to do that because I am an active member of the tiki revival, and I was wearing my tiki guy outfit #2. When the nearly crippled old man in line behind me gave me a contemptuous look, I simply admonished him by saying that I was in a hurry because I had to get to OA before they closed up for half the day, in the middle of the day.

Benzart: I love my tiki guy outfit too! I noticed that you have a couple of them too. I actually used one of your outfits for reference, but just to be daring, I added a little modern european styling I saw in GQ about tapered waists and raised ankle cuffs, which are all the rage at fashion week in Milan this year. I think the results are smashing, yet not overstated, like many many tiki guy outfit variations. I have to go work on my new gym tiki guy workout outfit now. I have to look like a tiki guy when I'm doing cardio too...(I bought the mask with the highest rating and I'm beeing careful-that's why no update of substance)
GROG: The moai is sold. To you. I'll get it to you right after you have it, which has to be sooner than yesterday, because yesterday already happened, and you'll have it soon.
Bam Be: Sawdust? Ha! I'll be bringing my third tiki guy outfit then. The: Tiki Guy At Work outfit where I wear my super heavy duty OSHA rated dust mask and crazy al approved carving clothes. (My only weakness will be from sunburn on the parts of my legs that are usually covered by my regular guy shorts. The tiki carving guy outfit includes too short circa '91 shorts based on the ones CAl wears when he carves stuff like that rootball tiki I saw in Tiki Magazine.)
Hewey: VRooom!!! Thanks Hewey. I still have to make you one of those Hewey pinstripe stickers too. I finally got a new blade for the machine. Now I'm out of paper...
Esperanza: It means "Abandon Hope, all ye who...yada, yada, yada" I wonder if tiki guys who do not have have a TJs close by will buy these bags on ebay? I have to go work on a flowery write up for the description now. Take care.

Did any of you get a TJ tiki bag last saturday, as opposed to last Monday, because I'm looking for a vintage Trader Joes Tiki Bag. (Haha, now when someone types TJ Tiki Bag in search, they'll get my stupid thread.)
I'm looking for a vintage TJ's Tiki bag, got some good stuff to trade...

Trader Buzzy Out!

hey there Tiki Buzzin Guy- great pieces. i can foresee tiki pendant future: the bigger, the badder-asser! hope you keep feelin better and badder.

Monday's sunset was nothing of note because there was no sun

Tuesday was a stark contrast to the day before

Here's a strickly for the money job I did for part of the last couple of days. They wanted a 90" tiki for a support pole for a gazebo, carved like a prexisting tiki, AND they needed it in a day and a half. Naturally, I said no and explained about ten reasons why I cant make a tiki that big, that quick. They needed something, so we sold them a smaller tiki and I carved a pinapple base for it. They have to attach it. I had to carve it on the road, too. Some German people from Berlin snapped some pictures of me carving. I forgot to ask if they know Haikai. Then some party rental company guy came in and said i should start carving at parties. He said I could make $150 dollars and hour. I wanted to be at home so I told him that would increase my tax liability, and I was not interested. I like carving at home, on projects that I want to do.
You get what you pay for:

Glad I didn't have to carve the whole thing. That would have been a complete waste

Here's your pole, people. Enjoy!

I also made a CocoJoe's sticker for my sunglass display case turned curio cabinet

There it is installed

Buzzy Out!

B

More cool stuff from the Buzz Master. I like that you are getting back to your Old self, Not that You're Old, Not yet anyway, but ,, you Know what I mean. Nice sunsets too.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2007 8:44 PM

Cabinets looking great man - whats happening with the others you picked up?

Hewey: Funny, I was planning on bringing another one home yesterday, but I got distarcted by something and forgot. My house is too small for what I got already. Can't bring all five home and they wouldn't fit anyway. Don't want the house to look too much like a store. Think I'll end up with two...
Benzart: I forgot what i was going to say. I must be getting old or something.

Yesterday's sunset:

Stupid bird ruined the shot...

Today's beach and bay report:

Sunny and warm, slight breeze...

Made a big mess today:

I hope it gets real windy again like a couple days ago (29-36mph gust here) so I do not have to sweep all this up. I call the ocean breeze my "magic" broom.

Couple quick things I want to work out so I made these pieces to do some practice heads

Few log pieces to do some chainsaw slash and burns and a couple planks to something with that will not work, but I will have tried, at least.

Still got half a day of sunlight left. More to do...

But first, I'll listen to Benzart's earlier advice and take it easy for a while...
What's on TV?

Breaking Buzzy Out!

buzzy, those pictures of that nice warm weather makes me jealous. i cant wait till i can sit outside and carve. that time will come any day now. it has actually been really nice lately, the other day it was i think 14 above...celcius that is. so that was a nice warm break. melted some of this rotten snow.

H

Buzzy are you working short?????

Buzzy where's lesson 2, still waiting...
Dig the sticker!
Have 3 people for my Northwest Chop Chop, pretty weak, maybe should have a totem pole carving day instead?
Good to see ya back at TikiLand!

Little sunset to end the day, and start the weekend

I heard that Sea World got the ok to do fireworks this summer. Very exciting!

Speaking of exciting, we had the Crew Classic out on the bay today. Here is a shot of the action:

Man, look at them go!!! Just like the thunderboats.

They were still at it at sunset

Go Harvard!

In between BarrettJackson, the Crew Classic, and yardwork, I hacked into one of those chunks I made yesterday. Just a little practice to keep the blood flowing.

Hiltiki: Short logs, short hours,shorts weather, short on cash, short fuse...
Stiki: I heard I was supposed to pick up something for you soon, but all I heard was blahblahblah when I was told what you wanted. I usually miss whatever someone says after I hear the word "mug." What was it again? Lesson 2, any day now.
Hey Duddy: Yes the long days of summer quickly approach...

Buzzy Out!

thanks for the updates buzzy. always liking the pictures

Here's some more updates for you then DuddY:

Earlybirds on the east coast are just putting on the morning brew...

Goodnight early risers!

Buzzy Out!

Rather nice sunset shot tonight

Finished the carving part of this face that smiles. I'm going to stain it real dark.

This is something I made for the less discriminating and budget minded tiki consumer.

Meanwhile, at the crew classic:

Everyone awaits the semi finals. Duke fans line the shore in anticipation.

Does an outrigger go faster than a crew boat or whatever the hell they call those things?
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 1:59 AM

Rowing 'shells' are the fastest, but they're made out of paper-thin composite. They're also unstable and usually pulled from the water if it gets choppy. (totally flat rivers are the preferred medium) They use an outrigger-style of gunwall to hold the oars on, though, but it doesn't touch the water so it makes them MORE unstable.

Outriggers are heavy, impervious to most ocean conditions, and can cut a 'shell' in two if they hit it broadside.

Hey, I think the US Olympic Rowing Team practices here in San Diego, and there are outrigger clubs in Coronado.

Buzz, I worked on yer logo a bit yesterday. It needs some more work.

I've got a can of "Jacobean" dark stain if you want to try it. It looks real black antique-ish.

buzzy like the new piece. keep showing us more.
always looking forward to your work

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 4:02 PM

Hey Buzzzzz,

My brother rowed for Yale for 4 years....the boats are really light and do not work well in choppy conditions. I've been out in a double - setup for ocean rowing - and it was still a bit sketchy. I'll take the outrigger canoe any day....especially a nice wide one with a high bow!

Thanks for the pics. I haven't seen any of that in years.

-G

B

Love your Budget minded tiki face, Love the sunsets too Buzz is back.

Sunset Fans:

And a bonus firework shot(no time for the tripod-that's why it's the free bonus today):

The fireworks got banned for a while because some people's dogs freaked out every night...I mean, because the fireworks were harmful to the environment and polluted the bay with heavy metal, the people with freaked out dogs lawyers said.

Cammo: Glad your back. Look forward to hearing tales of your travels abroad.
Cammo and GMAN: One time I went on a chase boat to photograph a big outrigger race out of Mission Bay. Couple shots since the topic was brought up (by me) recently:

TikiDuddy: Here comes more work...

Benzart: Sunsets, fireworks, boats, a new budget tiki...
Hope you're not overstimulated! Now go take a nap...

I've got some chocolate milk chilling in the freezer. Made a special late night run to get it.
Buzzy Out!

TD

FIRST of all...that is the craziest firework i have ever seen! and second im looking forward to that next piece. looks like your gonna have some fun with that one.
carve on!

B

Thanks Buzzy, Yes I Am and Now I won't be able to sleep all night, Damn, I may have to carve myself to sleep.

That new tiki looks like Yosemite Sam!

Sun set behind a wall of coastal marine layer today

Benzart: Right there with you...(is it a nap if you sleep all day?) The other night it was getting kind of late and I thought I should go to sleep. I stopped carving for a moment to think of what I had to do when I got up the next morning. All I could think of was carving. I kept going until it really was time to go to sleep. I guess as long as you're up, it's a good time to carve. Right?

TDuddy: Carving on...

I think I'm going to hack the headress off. I can do that, and take the credit, or the blame.

4WD: Yosemitiki Sam? Don't say that! I might get sued by WB!

I'm going to finish him right away...
Buzzy Out

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies