Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

On 2007-01-18 18:03, Polynesiac wrote:
Nice detail and the tapering towards the bottom adds some dimensionality (is that a word?!?!?!) to the tiki. ANYWAY, killer job.

Hey thanks Polynesiac. I'm trying to keep all these little ficus carvings the same shape as the original pieces that I cut away from all the bad spots in the log. Its been a fun little challenge to work these odd shapes out. I think I'm going to do a Pope hat shaped looking Lono head tonight...
Good to hear from you, hope all is` well.

Buzzy Out!

Finished this guy this morning:

Sunset warm up:

Buzzy Out!

That Moai looks sweet man!!! You Rawk Buzzy!!!

Alright ma'am, can you pick out the man who assaulted you:

turn to the right please

The West Side Ficus Gang:

I was going to send the big one in the middle to GROG, but I think I'll wait until the Tonga Hut Thread is done. :)

Sunset

My gift to this tiki today was knees:(or is it were knees or gifts?)

No Hablo Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 20, 2007 2:48 AM

The damned thread seems like it will NEVER die, so you might as well send it now.

GROG like.

B

beautiful fashion show !

Benjamin.

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 12:58 AM

On 2007-01-20 02:48, GROG wrote:
The damned thread seems like it will NEVER die, so you might as well send it now.

GROG like.

Grog, I don't think so, Zaya like more! I tried snagging this guy from Buzzy's house, but he busted me! I told Buzzy that you're going to have to wrestle me for it. It's too bad you'll lose! :)

Zaya

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 2:25 AM

On 2007-01-21 00:58, Zaya wrote:

Grog, I don't think so, Zaya like more! I tried snagging this guy from Buzzy's house, but he busted me! I told Buzzy that you're going to have to wrestle me for it. It's too bad you'll lose! :)

Zaya

GROG not lose---GROG fight dirty! ESPECIALLy for something as neat as that carving.

GROG like ALOT!

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 8:08 AM

On 2007-01-21 02:25, GROG wrote:
GROG not lose---GROG fight dirty! ESPECIALLy for something as neat as that carving.

GROG like ALOT!

Grog doesn't know who he's dealing with! Zaya fights dirty too. Zaya can even win wearing very high heels!

On 2007-01-21 08:08, Zaya wrote:

On 2007-01-21 02:25, GROG wrote:

GROG like ALOT!

Grog doesn't know who he's dealing with! Zaya fights dirty too. Zaya can even win wearing very high heels!

GroG!

Time to dig out that old Super Woman Costume out of your closet/dungeon and dust it off!

J
jamco posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 9:29 AM

Hey Buzzy- Love the tikis!!

What type of wood are you using, like on that smaller piece your just finished (the quick tiki)??
Thanks!

On 2007-01-21 09:29, jamco wrote:
Hey Buzzy- Love the tikis!!
What type of wood are you using, like on that smaller piece your just finished (the quick tiki)??

Thanks jamco. The wood is` ficus. It's very white and boring before staining, and then BOOM! -out pops all that grain. The pieces for those small ones came from a twisted part of the tree, like this:

I had to cut around a bunch of dead spots in the log to get the odd shaped pieces I'm using

Other log stuff:
Here's about a 6' x 2' split log of it(Ficus) I picked up yesterday:

This one is not twisted. Too bad it's too big to move

I also got a couple logs of carrotwood

It's orange.

Tiki Stuff:
Chop chop tiki started at the chop chop party at 4wd's house

Sunset:

GROG & Zaya: I think I heard my mom calling out the winner...

I slept zero minutes last night :(
Is BarrettJackson over already? Good thing I DVD'd the whole damn thing. Sadly, I'll never know the feeling of raising a bid in an auction by two hundred thousand dollars, to four million, get outbid, and then calmly bid 5 million a few seconds later to win. What the hell job does that guy have?

Buzzy Out!

H

She said hiltiki, hiltiki, hiltiki.

On 2007-01-21 17:58, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Here's about a 6' x 2' split log of it(Ficus) I picked up yesterday:

Looks heavy.
Is that blood on it??? :o
Count yer fingers, Buzzy! :wink:

B

Nice Logs, Nice Sunsets, Nice tikis, What more could we ask? Just keep it up, you don't need that sleep stuff, it just makes you tired.

Nice spread o' ficus tikis! THose guys look great all lined up - the chop chop hawaiian tiki is nice too, I like the chin jutting out! Dig it! good stuff, good stuff. Is that a carrot wood burl? if so - it'd make a neat table top.

I sent ya a PM, brother

carve on!!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 11:45 PM

She was calling out GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!
GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!GROG!

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 12:44 AM

Grog needs to go get his ears checked. She was clearly saying.................... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZaya!

Plus Buzzy's mom really likes Zaya. :P

[ Edited by: Zaya 2007-01-22 13:16 ]

HOK

On 2007-01-18 19:47, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Stained the quick Moai just now:

I'm getting tired of this type of grain. It all looks the same.

-Aloha Buzzy! Your Tikis are getting better each time :) Have you ever used a propane torch to add depth to the grain? The heat causes the softer wood to sink, while the harder grain remains... (Witco style) Turn your torch on as high as possible and get as close as possible and move as slowly as possible until you have glowing embers emitting from the smoldering stump...:D Just kidding, just practice with the distance and speed until you have the depth and color desired...

Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

I sliced a big chunk off my knuckle last night. It happened while carving, but I hesitate to call it a carving accident. I was putting a chiselaway, and it deflected off a box and scraped a chunk off my left knuckle. It didn't bleed for about 20 seconds...It's not deep, it just covers a large area. Damn chisels are sharp.

Anyway, it was really nothing, so I got back to carving details on the chopchop 2 tiki:

Shadows are not showing in this light that well

Hola Freddie: Welcome to my thread! This is where I spend all my time, when I'm not coveting your lava collection over on the ccj's thread, that is. You got me experimenting out in the garage last night:

I think the tight parts of the grain may be too small on this piece

This was scrap wood, so I didn't remove the planer marks before I burned it

I think I need to do two things: Revise my burning technique and get larger grained wood.
I like those shell inlays on that piece. That grain seems to make a simple carving detailed, if that makes sense. Thanks for the other reference photo, too. Take care man and thanks again for the advice.

Zaya, GROG, Hiltiki, and Buzzy's MOM: It looks like we have enough people interested in that piece now, that we can have a mini fight tournament for it. How about holding it at the Tonga Hut? (Calling out the winner=My mom is calling out the winner as in calling out the winner to FIGHT. Like after Brandon Vera won his first UFC fight, he called out chuck liddell, to fight. He didn't say "chuck, chuck, chuck." He said, " I want to fight Chuck Liddell." Calling out means you are publically stating who you will fight :) )

I ate too much pizza...
Buffett Buzzy Out!

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Jan 23, 2007 1:26 PM

On 2007-01-23 13:02, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Zaya, GROG, Hiltiki, and Buzzy's MOM: It looks like we have enough people interested in that piece now, that we can have a mini fight tournament for it. How about holding it at the Tonga Hut? (Calling out the winner=My mom is calling out the winner as in calling out the winner to FIGHT. Like after Brandon Vera won his first UFC fight, he called out chuck liddell, to fight. He didn't say "chuck, chuck, chuck." He said, " I want to fight Chuck Liddell." Calling out means you are publically stating who you will fight :) )

The Tonga Hut is perfect, and I think it should be just like old school UFC when there were NO RULES except for one, no eye gouging. Everything else was legal. What do you say about that?

I call out GROG!

I'm off to training, Zaya out!

On 2007-01-23 13:26, Zaya wrote:

I call out GROG!

There you go...
SonyMike thinks your the early odds on favorite.

Progress:

Over two hours of sunlight still...

Buzzy Out!

good looking details....now use those 2 hours and finish dat beeeaaaiich up!

On 2007-01-23 15:08, Clysdalle wrote:
now use those 2 hours and finish dat beeeaaaiich up!

The Sun:

The Tiki:

Just in Time!

Sundown, You'd better take care...

Buzzy Out!

B

Who ARE You and what have you done with our BuzzMaster?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 23, 2007 7:34 PM

On 2007-01-23 13:26, Zaya wrote:

The Tonga Hut is perfect, and I think it should be just like old school UFC when there were NO RULES except for one, no eye gouging. Everything else was legal. What do you say about that?

I call out GROG!

I'm off to training, Zaya out!

LET"S GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

You better be training ALOT!!!!! GROG want that moai.

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Jan 23, 2007 8:21 PM

Sorry, can't talk now, Chuck Liddell just showed up and we're off to the gym.

When I get back I'll be busy getting my moai's spot all ready for him!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 24, 2007 5:58 PM

That little guy is cute :)

On 2007-01-24 17:58, hewey wrote:
That little guy is cute :)

I know, I want to put him in a stroller and cruise the mall...

Sunset(to catch myself up):

Sunny day today, working on this dude:

Been working on a big little guy made from the carrotwood
Here are two chunks I took off the log:

It dries super duper hard. Slow work. I tried a test stain piece and it isn't too exciting. It looks similar to a basswood, but is way harder to work with.

So far, i've used a v tool palm gouge and a straight "hookknife" that came in the starters kit. It works just a little better than the hooked knife that I'm used to, but only for this piece, for some reason.

Anyway, it's lunch time, and I'm burning daylight...

Buzzy Out!

B

Hey Buzzy,

I'm enjoying your processes as usual. I go back over your old posts quite a bit; it's amazing how dedicated you are to this art form...the work certainly shows it.

I really dig seeing those sunsets too...keep-um coming.

B

That is Really a Cool little full body tiki and Super well proportioned. We have a carrot wood tree out here that is considered an invasive species. I had 2 in my back yard and it took forever to get them eliminated, kept sproowting up all around the stump. The wood was Darker and redder and very unstable and soft. Yours looks good.
That sundown you quoted is really Alien looking, Really strange and beautiful..
Keep up the great work BuzzMaster.

B

:) :) :)

A little more progress on the fence corner tiki:

Buzzy Out!

C

Buzzy, maybe you could give this one a magazine to read. He looks like he's gonna be sittin there for a while.

On 2007-01-27 12:46, Cammo wrote:
Buzzy, maybe you could give this one a magazine to read. He looks like he's gonna be sittin there for a while.

I have enough of those lazy ass tikis sitting around already
What you cannot see, just outside the frame of that last photo:

The tiki reading the magazine just asked the other tiki a question based upon reading a recent article. He asked, " If Darrayl Hannah and that other actor who drives a cooking grease car moved to SLO, would tikitony run out of gas?"

If I had a muscle car that ran on cooking grease, I'd give it bacon grease for higher performance...

Bacon Lovin' Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jan 27, 2007 1:10 PM

The problem with those cooking grease cars is the whole car smells like MacDonalds French Fries, but 1000% STRONGER. You drive around with this queasy feeling that you're saving gas but somehow getting fatter.

What the heck would happen if you poured some real gas in those things? SCA-rrrrrrEEEEEACH!!!!

B

I thought tikis needed glasses to read with?

Yesterday...

and Today.

Storm's coming...

Cut a log smaller to bring inside tonight and milled some wood today. Boring stuff, unless it's your wood.

Butcher Cover Buzzy Out!

On 2007-01-27 16:59, Benzart wrote:

He can't read. He's just pretending...
Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 28, 2007 5:59 PM

On 2007-01-28 17:16, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-01-27 16:59, Benzart wrote:

He can't read. He's just pretending...
Buzzy Out!

Duh! His magazine is right up against his body!

Supposed to rain tomorrow. Makes for a decent sunset.

Gave the tiki a chair, and toes

Just the arms to go

Buzzy Out!

buzzy man its looking gooood. cant wait for some more to come along. man if you took some of those sunrise and sunset pictures where im at about now you would be cold just LOOKING at the picture. its been storming for a few days.
cant wait for more of that guy.
great stuff always

Whoa! That's gonna be killer! But is that your work, or Zaya's?

B

Cool Buzz....Is this an ink pattern, or did you use a wood burner on this? I've been keeping my eye out for one of those wood burners. I remember having one years ago, but it is long since gone now...I couldn't find one at the Depot last week.

B

More excellent stuff from the BuzzMaster and the BurnMaster. Sweet Moko.

On 2007-01-30 05:47, 4WDtiki wrote:
Whoa! That's gonna be killer! But is that your work, or Zaya's?

Thanks Billy. It's mine...
I'll make one for Zaya one of these days. One of these days when I'm not washing all the glasses a cereal bowls she leaves behind when she comes over...

On 2007-01-30 06:07, Babalu wrote:
Cool Buzz....Is this an ink pattern, or did you use a wood burner on this? I've been keeping my eye out for one of those wood burners. I couldn't find one at the Depot last week.

Hey hey, babalu. Missed you last gathering. I use the Bamboo Ben Aproved Super Megaburner 4000. It's the dual port model like the one that Zaya had at the Chopchop at Mieko's.

It's a little too specialized for the Depot. Zaya bought it for me somewhere online. Ask her for the link.

On 2007-01-30 08:10, Benzart wrote:
More excellent stuff from the BuzzMaster and the BurnMaster. Sweet Moko.

Moko? What is that? I'm doing this one based on the Zaya swirls style...

More doodles:

Rainy day

:(

Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies