Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2012 3:32 PM

Hey Buzz - how big are these things??? Especially the round ones - are they trash can lid size or more like pie pans?!?!?

Can you shoot one with like a shoe beside it, or your hand, or a dog sniffing at them?

---------- :lol: :lol: It's okay Freddie... "He looks happy about it" :lol: :lol: -------

---------------------------------- :tiki: What up BUZZY? OUT! :tiki:------------------------

HOK

Jonesey!! Nice to see you visiting :)

Interesting carves! Are you using a traditional shop router or that dremel attachment? The Moais are great .... a nice selection to choose from ...

U busy man

B

Good lookin stuff Buzzy, I'm thinkin you need a Good electric recip carver for your works, would save you much time .

Sunset:

We had 5 straight days of moderate to severe wind here, and a couple days of rain and cold

It actually snowed about two miles away from here, up on the hills:

Here's the end of last week's stuff and today's stuff:

I was looking to see if I had a matchbook in my collection when I came across that Disney polynesian village one. I was planning on doin some two tone stain samples, so I used a portion of the graphic for a sample piece:

My second stain test was on the entire Disney graphic, and it was a total fail. I redid the stain in a dark color because the way it looked with the two stains I used totally sucked

It still sucks, just not as bad as it used to.

I was still pissed because the stain test didn't turn out good, so I guess I wasn;t paying attention like i should have beenand messed up my next stain test piece by removing he wrong part. It was even worse because i was almost finished with it and wated all that time...

I called it a day in the shop at that point in my mess up and took it out to the shooting range to give it that natural rustic Mojave finish. Then I cleaned my bathroom and did the dishes.

After a weekend of attending to other Mojave matters, I got back in the shop this morning and warmed up with this stain test piece:

I probably won't shoot this one up.

I finished up the day with a PNG inspired fishing club, based on the ones from the upper Strickland mountain region:

they used to be able to cut the fish's head off in the shallows of the river with the tapered edge of the club. The best club fishermen could actually behead the fish on the downstroke, and gut the fish on the up stroke. The carved images on the club were based on what the fisherman was looking for under the swirlin water's surface.

My favorite part is that it looks like the outline of a fish:

On 2012-02-15 15:32, Cammo wrote:
Can you shoot one with like a shoe beside it, or your hand, or a dog sniffing at them?

Cherry Pepsi can? large round ones are about 12" diameter and the small round are maybe 8-9"

On 2012-02-17 11:03, Captain Jack wrote:
Are you using a traditional shop router or that dremel attachment?

I have a 1hp smallish router that I mainly use. I'm glad you asked that becuse I have one of those dremel router sets that I forgot about. I'll have to find that and see if can do some smaller line and detail work with it.

On 2012-02-18 22:08, hang10tiki wrote:
U busy man

It's been quiet for a couple weeks around here so I've had plenty of time to get my work done

On 2012-02-19 06:41, Benzart wrote:
I'm thinkin you need a Good electric recip carver for your works, would save you much time .

Funny-I was thinin' the same thing a couple days ago. It's on the list. Just a couple more shop must haves first...

On 2012-02-17 01:33, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Jonesey!! Nice to see you visiting :)

That's for sure! definitely nice to hear you break radio silence, Jonesey!

On 2012-02-16 18:39, TravelingJones wrote:
What up BUZZY? OUT!

Wow, so good to hear from you. I think of you often. As you can see I relocated out to the Mojave for a little while. It's a lot different lifestlye out here. Kind of like a rehearsal for the post apocalyptic world...

Even with a constant full bowl of food,the dog's taken to hunting for her food. Here she is mining for gophers:

She's a reflection of her environment out here, so sometimes her solutions to the problems are more damaging than the original problem were:

It was a little gopher hole, now it's a big dog hole

we've been living off the land as much as we can. Poki's partial to rabbit:

but will settle for fish when it's available:

I like the fish I catch much better:

we're draining the lake to fix it, so the fish found a new home...

in my frying pan!

One of the bigger fish I caught looked like this:

So he got moved to his new home: the Koi pond at Amy's other desert house

I saved another one as a pet:

his name is Goldy
Poki loves Goldy!

Kiss kiss goldy! I also have about 10 pet catfish in there, but they're afraid of the dog and are always hiding in the deep, dirty part of the pond.

well Jonesy, aside from shootin', making the usual laod of tiki crap, and hanging out with the animals, that's about it for me..What about you?

On 2012-02-15 00:59, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Cool looking router work there Buzzy!

thanks Freddie! Just a phase I'm going through right now

On 2012-02-14 22:31, RevBambooBen wrote:
get any splinterz mountin all that wood?

Not in any place that matters, or that I can see...

I love the fish!
Buzzy Out!

Thanks for the size reference shot. Thoses pieces are bigger than I imagined, especially the fish club. Speaking of which - you have fish AND you have a club, have you tried it out yet? Will you be giving us a PNG fishing demonstration in April? I have face paint left over from my Christmas card a few years back, you want me to bring it? :D

PS - can you loan me Poki for a week? The gophers are killing my fruit trees. Or maybe make me a PNG gopher club? :lol:

"Ha, ha - I whooped ya', I whooped ya' all! You'll think twice before messin' with Percival C. McLeach!"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-02-21 06:37 ]

H

Buzzy, its nice to see you posting again. I like the new artwork and all the food you are making. I need to come up and visit. Buzzy, are you coming out this way anytime soon?

T

Did ya save some bass too, so you can restock your lake?

Today's sunset:

I made a couple more pieces today:

A paddle

And a small hand club

Good for splitting coconuts too

On 2012-02-21 08:13, hiltiki wrote:
I need to come up and visit. Buzzy, are you coming out this way anytime soon?

Come on up! I might make the Tiki Mag party at the Tonga Hut at the end of March.

On 2012-02-21 06:19, MadDogMike wrote:
you have fish AND you have a club, have you tried it out yet? Will you be giving us a PNG fishing demonstration in April?

No more fish here that ain't pets...Place is all fished out. Poki's good at huntin'...not so good at catchin'.

On 2012-02-21 11:40, TheBigT wrote:
Did ya save some bass too, so you can restock your lake?

The stork looking birds got to most of the fish before I did. I only caught 3 real small bass. We had a couple problems while draining the lake so we didn;t get the fish like we should have. Stupid birds...

Buzzy Out!

you're getting very Popular!

Breaker! Breaker! Buzzy!!! Yes, silent for waaay to long. Dang bradah, you & Poki done gone NATIVE!! U two'er lookin real good diggin for gold & gophers...btw, pssst..."Dyn-O-Mite" great for huntin AND fishin!! :wink:

I've missed a lot, so I should go back a hundred pages and discover your devolution of time. :lol: Alley Oop, oop, oop, oop-oop!! :lol:

Keep yer chizzles sharp, Poki's kibble dry and always, I mean ALWAYS check yer sleeping bag for scorpions!!

PEACE bradah Buzzy, OUT!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Feb 24, 2012 7:06 AM

These clubs with the abstract Martian road kill lobsters on them are the coolest things I've ever seen.

Paddle n club rock

Yesterday's sunset:

Today's:

I was just about to get to carving on Friday when a stupid bee stung me on the hand. It swelled up a lot so I took a rest until saturday morning. Then I went out to the shop and made another larger fish club:

This style was used on larger fish, like the bullfish, which were very prevalent in the rivers there. The pointy parts behind the blade were used to dig into either the gills or jaw to help drag the heavy fish to shore

Here are the recent clubs, paddles, and fish axes all together:

The second fish axe used the last of my wood in stock, but I still had some leftover irregular pieces that I could burn through. I wanted to make some different sized pairs of Moais out of the scraps:

Cut them all out, and close to end of routin them, I had one mess up that went to the range to get shot up:

Feels good shooting up mistakes. Turns a bad to good. Positive transformation...

By the end of the day, I did manage to finish a Papa, Mama, and baby size set of Maois in this color:

and I did two sets in another color with one little leftover guy:

Todays output:

I think they're about 11, 9, and 7 inches tall.

On 2012-02-23 10:43, RevBambooBen wrote:
you're getting very Popular!

Trimming the Fir!

On 2012-02-23 17:12, TravelingJones wrote:
Breaker! Breaker! Buzzy!!! Yes, silent for waaay to long. Dang bradah, you & Poki done gone NATIVE!!
I've missed a lot, so I should go back a hundred pages and discover your devolution of time.

Yo Jonesey! Stick around for a while. All kinds of mysteries and adventures to uncover and unfold out here. You came back at a good time. Not much new action here before a few weeks ago, so you don't have to back so many pages to catch up.

On 2012-02-24 07:06, Cammo wrote:
These clubs with the abstract Martian road kill lobsters on them are the coolest things I've ever seen.

The coolest thing I ever saw was a copy the world's smallest bible. A junior high substitute teacher named Werle Cox would carry it around in his pocket. It was a little clear plastic card with dots on it. Each dot, he would explain, was two pages of the bible, and you needed a microscope to actually read it.

On 2012-02-24 21:07, hang10tiki wrote:
Paddle n club rock

thanks hang10!

I gotta go wood shopping again.
Buzzy Out!

C

"The coolest thing I ever saw was a copy the world's smallest bible. A junior high substitute teacher named Werle Cox would carry it around in his pocket. It was a little clear plastic card with dots on it. Each dot, he would explain, was two pages of the bible, and you needed a microscope to actually read it. "

Yeah, but you can't gut a fish with it!

I think now a teacher would be cruxified for flashing a Bible around in a public school.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2012 10:07 AM

That's why it was so small.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2012 10:09 AM

Also, I don't believe that it was for real. He just bought a little tiny book and dotted it wit a ball point pen. I could make one too.

"Oh, you don't happen to have an electron microscope on you? Too bad, you can't read my book."

Yeah, sure!

C

Love the paddles, very nice!

I had to concentrate on Mojave Oasis II facilities matters for a week or so, but I finally got caught up enough to sneak into the shop for a couple days this week.

Before I get to that work, a sunset from one of those days:

First piece was "inspired" by the tribes of the Lower Strickland Mountains in PNG. It's kind of a rudder/paddle. The river had quick parts of rapids that only needed steering, so they fashioned these paddles for slowing down by creating some drag, or using it to turn with as a type of hand held rudder:

I guess the shape produced enough drag to slow the boat, but not enough to rip it out of the pilot's hand

I thought they were ceremonial/decorative until I read the caption next to the picture that said they actually used them shaped like this.

Next day sunset,(yesterday):

Upper Strickland Navigator's paddle:

On 2012-02-24 07:06, Cammo wrote:

A lot of the paddles are actually used like maps. Not exact "this is what the river looks like" but kind of like "two bumps and a long arm off the center design"="two turns of the river after camp and there's a tributary" If there were markings on the part that meant tributary, then that meant there was stuff down the river. If it was plain, it meant nothing there. The guy on the back of the boat would have the marked paddle. Kind of like the modern outrigger guy with megaphone in charge.

and others were just decorative and didn't mean a thing outside of the ceremonial realm

Meaningless, just like all my stuff...

On 2012-02-27 09:03, MadDogMike wrote:
I think now a teacher would be cruxified for flashing a Bible around in a public school.

Our other favorite sub from that district was the WWII vet Mr Farrington. He brought different caliber of bullets to show us. He told us that the .45 was invented to stop/kill the "Curly Qs" during the Zulu wars. The bullets alone would cause a district wide lockdown these days. "Curly Q's" said by a teacher= Hello Al Sharpton with 20 buses of professional protestors at the school gates. And, he wouldn;t be crucified these days, because that does have its traditions in the religious realm, and there is that whole freedom from religion thing in the public realm

On 2012-03-02 10:07, Cammo wrote:
That's why it was so small.

Hey Freddie, can you take this one?

On 2012-02-15 00:59, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Thats what she said! :)

Thanks buddy!

On 2012-03-02 10:09, Cammo wrote:
Also, I don't believe that it was for real.
"Oh, you don't happen to have an electron microscope on you? Too bad, you can't read my book."

He had a little hand held stamp magnifier that he'd let you peer into. I saw it once, and it looked like a bunch of rectangles with something in them, like lines of text, laid out bible column style.

On 2012-03-05 08:45, Clarita wrote:
Love the paddles, very nice!

thanks Clarita.

I need to go check the water...
Buzzy Out!

...but do the paddles work?

Pics of you in the lake with them would be cool!

Nice chattin' wit ya today Buzz on the 1 year anny

of sitting on your couch with Poki watching Nuclear meltdowns!

Arigato!!!

I saw all of these this weekend, wow they are amazing! Of course I had to steal a piece or 2 :)

Today's sunset

Here comes the wind...

I got off to a late start today because I had go to civilization to get some wood. After returning to the safe confines of the Mojave compound, I knocked out a few 6' fence planks done in Maori swirl styles #1 and #2:

I have a 12' gate to cover with these and another 20 or so more. Then next set will probably be tapa panel designs. I have to stain them too...

On 2012-03-09 18:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
1 year anny of sitting on your couch with Poki watching Nuclear meltdowns!

;)

On 2012-03-12 14:26, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
I saw all of these this weekend, wow they are amazing! Of course I had to steal a piece or 2 :)

Plenty more where those came from. I did 53 pieces in a one month run...

Let's see how long it takes me to do 20 6' fence planks!
Buzzy Out!

those rock
thats one steady hand my man

I forgot to take today's sunset picture, so here's another one of yesterday's:

I knocked out a few more gate pieces today:

Getting close to half way done.

On 2012-03-13 22:20, hang10tiki wrote:
those rock
thats one steady hand my man

Thanks hang10. these things are a pain in the ass to do, however.

Maybe some tahitian ones tomorrow?
Buzzy Out!

Nice looking gate there Buzz. Will that go on the little structure to the south west of the Mermaid Bar?

Today's sunset:

Still working on the gate. I detailed 6 more planks today. 4 more maori and 2 more triangular geometric designs:

8' down, 4' to go...

On 2012-03-14 23:55, MadDogMike wrote:
Will that go on the little structure to the south west of the Mermaid Bar?

Nope. Front gate. It will block us off from the outside world. Right now we have some rolled reed that doesn't stand up the wind that well. Kinda see through as well.

Buzzy Out!

Will the wheel hold it?

Gonna look good!

M

Looking at the contrails from the missle test in that last sunset shot, it makes me wonder if the efluents havent turned Buzzy into some sort of superior being with all this production.
Awesome

Mahalo

McTiki

On 2012-03-16 08:58, RevBambooBen wrote:
Will the wheel hold it?

Gonna look good!

same question i asked.... buzzy says yes

G

Those are gorgeous. Really nice work and they'll look great once stained. I need a short 10'-15' privacy fence to block a neighbor window that something like this would be perfect for.

P

Wow...those planks are awesome.

Today's sunset:

Weather recap: Sun, cold, and wind

I knocked out 7 more planks today. That leaves two more and a sliver to go:

Here are today's patterns:

I did these with some tikis on them so that I can legally call it a "Tiki Gate":

I stuck the address on it as well

Will the wheel hold it?

Local legend Crazy Kelly Osbourn guarantees his welds. And there are always more wheels on brokedown shit in the desert...

On 2012-03-16 15:19, McTiki wrote:
Looking at the contrails from the missle test ..., it makes me wonder if the efluents havent turned Buzzy into some sort of superior being with all this production.
Awesome

Right after I read your comment, I chuckled at the possibilty, walked back out to the shop, and glanced up and saw these:

Hmmmmm.....seems to happen all the time around here.

On 2012-03-16 17:28, Queen Kamehameha wrote:

Will the wheel hold it?
Gonna look good!

same question i asked.... buzzy says yes

The wheel was a "yes." I never said the hinges, support pole, and concrete track for it would hold.

On 2012-03-17 15:40, GatorRob wrote:
I need a short 10'-15' privacy fence to block a neighbor window that something like this would be perfect for.

Wanna buy some slightly used stencils? :wink:

On 2012-03-18 06:35, pjc5150 wrote:
Wow...those planks are awesome.

thanks pjc5150! just TCB...

Until I have more crap to show...
Buzzy Out!

HOK

Those panels are pretty cool! Can't wait to see them stained and all in place :)....I was reviewing some older posts and noticed I missed this one earlier.....

On 2008-08-20 11:10, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
The head was still loose and wet, and it would take a day or so to completely dry and stretch, so I just wrapped the rope into the recess ...

Thats what She said!! :lol: Catch you later Buzzy!

I never said the hinges, support pole, and concrete track for it would hold.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

p.s. is that Elm wood?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Fun for you!
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2012-03-23 23:20 ]

I got distracted and missed the sunset tonight, so here's a post sunset picture of the plane under the recycled tiki lightpole:

I've been busy sorting the Playa Del Rey poles so that they can be put up around the property:

Lots of neat tiki stuff there...
The place they came from is in the Book of Tiki. You can (almost) see them as originally installed in a couple photos(I don't know what page)

Here's a couple after local legend Crazy Kelly Osbourne mounted them:

Those are about 11 feet tall from the ground. Still a few more to plant...

back in the shop, the gate cover is done:

I'll be like Tom sawyer a stainin' the fence tomorrow.

Here's one side with all patterns shown. The other side is a mirror of this one:

Next little project I'm doing is a redo of a quick barrier fence I had to slap up last september at an event here. I'm carving out a few 4x4s to replace the stakes that are there now.

here are the first two done:

One's just a marq inspired pattern and the other's shape is based on a PNG Lower Strickland Mountains region Warrior's Club(except mine's squarish)
Each warrior had a unique pattern on his club, kind of like a fingerprint. After a battle, they would match the wounds on the fallen enemies with the killer's club, and count the number on a ceremionial tally staff.

Too late and too tired for more words...

Back soon.
Buzzy Out!

Keep up the good work! The place is looking fantastic. We can't wait to get there and enjoy the sunset.

Yestarrday's sunset:

I stained all the planks...

and then stuck em up:

Local legend Crazy Kelly Osbourn inserted for scale:

On 2012-03-27 15:50, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
Keep up the good work! The place is looking fantastic. We can't wait to get there and enjoy the sunset.

You're in for a treat!

You'll hardly recognize the place....

On 2012-03-20 09:16, RevBambooBen wrote:

p.s. is that Elm wood?

Nope. Old growth Argentinian Mahoghany, illegally harvested from the Amazon delta by child slave labor. Only the finest for fair Mojave!

On 2012-03-20 02:57, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
I was reviewing some older posts and noticed I missed this one earlier.....

No matter how many times you say it, it's still funny!

Buzzy Out!

Buzz, I like the alternating colored stains.

Tell your Mom thanks for the awesome cookies!! :) :) :)

Nice hangin' wit you.

S

Holy crap Buzz! your still a machine with sunsets(think i saw the sun few days ago). Man that looks like allot of work on the planks they look incredible!

Where art thow?

Must be busy runny for Newberry Mayor.

B

Hell, I thought he WAS the Mayor???

Now I've got another pinup for the Buzzy Bedroom! Wendy

PS Buzzy those fence panels are outstanding

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-05-08 09:00 ]

Sunset:

If it hasn't been a year, then it feels like it has been a year since I carved an actual full body tiki on a full round log. It's been so long, in fact, that I think I forgot how to actually do one. I'm giving myself a quick one to do as a refresher course before I start something more sizable or labor intensive.

I started yesterday afternoon on a practice run to make sure that I could carve a certian feature onethe full body/full round log right. Since it was a body feature, I was more interested in doing that first and I broke from my normal routine and started at the bottom and worked my way up. Here it is after a couple hours of work:

Hit at it again for a couple more hours today and got the body to here:

Then I started the head and face:

That's where I left off this afternoon...

On 2012-05-08 08:59, danlovestikis wrote:
PS Buzzy those fence panels are outstanding

Thanks Wendy. I used that gate style as the basis for a split rail bamboo fence that I did too. Here are the posts:

And installed:

the Maori post sparked the idea for this bridge that I also made:

On 2012-05-05 11:42, RevBambooBen wrote:
Where art thow? Must be busy runny for Newberry Mayor.

I took the campaign munny and I runny...

Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies