Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

(grabbing a tub of popcorn and wearing my safty goggles)

Lets carve sucka!!! Can I get a speaker hookup so I can backseat carve the whole time it would be great...

"why are you chopping there??........is that a nose?.......do you like tiki?......I like pizza...."

Been live carving all day, so this is all old news...

Today's progress:

face drawn out

after a little carving:

Break time!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-11-19 15:55 ]

S

Looks great you carving machine!

H

Buzzy you said you were taking requests for the "Live Buzzy Show". Can you do that moonwalk dancing thingy you did for us yesterday on LBS show every 30 min or so?

Lunch break update:

I did some more clean up work last night and I just sanded it in prep for the drawing and detailing.

I'll doing more live cam stuff after lunch.

Tune in at about 2.

Hiltiki: I did the moonwalk in your honor last night. :)

Seeksurf: Thanks bud! I'm a well oiled machine. :wink:

Does Baby Oil count?
Buzzy Out!

B

Yeah, You're just bangin'em out right and left, and Great job too. Thats a fancy looking body that looks like another face, cool.
Can I get your Autograph" Just put it on one of yer tiki thingies!

Here's some progress shots of the details I'm working on:

Going to be going live pretty much all day today.

Check it here
Say hey in the chatroom while your there, and as always, questions encouraged

On 2007-11-20 13:11, Benzart wrote:
Thats a fancy looking body that looks like another face, cool.

Benzart: Let's see about that....

Old tiki face on a log I carved compared to the body I just carved:

No, it's just a random coincidence. :wink:

Going live after lunch...
Buzzy Out!

Today's sunset:

Finished this guy last night:

I pretty much carved the whole thing live on the house of Buzz channel. Glad some of you could stop by and witness my methods and my madness.

After spending all that time measuring and cutting all those details in, it was a blast to grab the chainsaw and grinder and rip the rest of this one out, pretty much freehand:

I think I have one or two more swipes and some burning to do.

I forgot dog food at the store so my dog just ate a bowl full of Captain Crunch.
Buzzy Out!

Sweet detail Buzz! Should look pretty gruesome stained! You da man!

Today's sunset:

I actually managed to broadcast the sunset live tonight on the House of Buzz channel

I hollowed out the backs of a couple tikis today. when I was pretty deep into it, I wondered how much further I needed to go to make an opening in the mouth that went all of the way through

After some measuring, I had the distance between the two dots to make the opening go all the way through

So, i took a large veiner and made the shallow cut to connect the deepest part of each side to each other

And then I forgot to take a picture of it and the sun set soon after.

Yo Tbird, thanks man!

Buzzy Out!

"And then I forgot to take a picture of it and the sun set soon after. "

maybe due to the fact that you were playing grab ass with Z?

On 2007-11-26 18:04, RevBambooBen wrote:
maybe due to the fact that you were playing grab ass with Z?

BambiBooBen: Wishfully, yes. Actually, no . Ever since Kinny said he wanted to pay for my healthcare this morning, I've altered my lifestyle to mimic what yours was at Tiki Oasis last August, and I passed out for a little while in my driveway before I could make it back to the liquor store. Now I'm drinking TO my health, and FOR my health. And since Kinny's going to either pay for my future detox,rehab, or liver transplant, I'm going to drink to his and your health too! Cheers!

Buzzy Out!

TD

amazing buzzy! awsome detail in there! AND i like the new look of that one.

okay, hmmmm... not much tiki going on around here?

Hey Jonesey: Most the tiki stuff going on here the last few days has been boring prep work type stuff. We also had a couple days worth of rain. My rain guage had about 1.7 inches between thursday night and Saturday morning, and just about a tenth on Saturday. When it rains that much here, it is quite a notable occurence.
The stupid rain came earlier than the weather guys said it was. They called saturday, but it came more than a day earlier, and completely unexpected to me. I was gearing up for a full day of carving on Friday before the storm hit, but that didn't out. I got this log all ready to go Thursday, but then it got all wet and rained on. It's dry, and I might drag it in tonight and start working on it

I heard the rain start early on Friday morning. What a Tiki Guy disaster! It never rains here. At 4am I jumped out of bed and ran out into the rain to drag all the tikis I had outside to dry, along with a bunch of tools I had left under a shade tarp, inside. So now, after all that, all these guys are outside drying again:

my plan is to have these and a few slashers ready for the show on the 15th. If it doesn't rain, they should be ready.

I also split a big log:

And a little log:

additionally,last week I cleaned out the yard I had been using for log storage. It still had about eight trashcans full of shavings from all the logs I did for Oasis last summer. I finally was able to haul it all off. Now, Grow grass, Grow!

the logs that were there take up way less room when they are standing like this. Eight logs take less space than two:

And I spent a couple hours last thursday smacking out this face on a cracked piece of ficus:

Not much Tiki, though, I'm afraid. :(

I'll try to get busy tomorrow...

TDuddy: Hey man, what's up? Good to hear from you. In case you haven't seen it yet, I have a live interactive carving camera going most of the time when I work. There's a chat room thing going on and it has sound too. Being on the west coast, most of the House of Buzz Live Cam stuff probably happens after your bedtime, but check it out if you ever have insomnia.

Buzzy Out!

H
haikai posted on Mon, Dec 3, 2007 3:11 AM

Hey Buzzy, the moai in the last picture looks realy good and definitely there is a lots of tiki inside.
Especially, I like the nose! Mahalo, Kai

Buzz, did you cover that tiki bar during the rain???

We got 2.75" here. :o

Today's sunset:

It was about as clear and calm as it gets for this day's end

I started a taller piece this afternoon:

Got part of the headress blocked out

Here's the basic outline that Ive been working from so far.

Just have to keep that shape all the way down the log to the bottom of the headress.

On 2007-12-03 05:54, 4WDtiki wrote:
Buzz, did you cover that tiki bar during the rain???

Yeah. It's on the high side of the tarp. The water drains from over it and pools on the other end and slowly drips away. I also have it up on blocks so it won't sit on wet ground.

HaiKai: Hey good buddy, glad to see you back around here again. If you meet that Tok-tok fellow, tell him that I know it all and my head is filled with tiki knowledge. If you cannot help him find the true path to becoming a True Tiki Guy, then I can, but only in English.

I just invented another line on my resume:
International Tiki Ambasador
Buzzy Out!

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Dec 3, 2007 8:54 PM

Sunset looks like pyramid in Vegas

S

Buzzy, that log looks like a good start.

That SUNSET is SICK! (both meanings) good for you
and making me sick. Light snow, rain and wind storm
in my hood.

I did some more roughing out of the head last night

And I also started the eyes

and I did some work on the back of the head too

I'll be done in no time!

Seeksurf: It's definitely shorts weather here today. I think they call it sunny and mild, officially. the waves are supposed to be picking up today too. 8-15' foot sets by tomorrow. The water's in the low sixties. I should be able to see the waves break at the OB pier from my work space tomorrow.

Teakey: It's not the vegas pyramid, it's a Mirage! Hahahahahahah! I crack my shit up sometimes! that's my favorite sunset shot: the sun, ocean, bay, and yacht club all in one beautiful composition.

I'll be carving live on and off until sunset. Drop by and see how boring my life is.
Live carving cam

Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2007 1:35 PM

GROG tried to watch the House of Buzz, but seeing you carving nude just made GROG scared for you, so GROG couldn't bare to watch anymore. GROG was afraid you were going to accidently hit your "tool" with your tool. Too scary to watch.

S

Cool buz, just tryed your cam. I havent been able to get it to
work while im at WORK. You where on a break.

Swell is 25' @ 15 sec in WA to bad i have to go to work today.

T

I watched too, even if it is late for me (time shift). I don´t get it, the time data is unequal. And I also did not manage to log in. justin.tv, funny thing.
But it is great to watch how an old stager is doing his work sitting in an armchair.

I like your postings very much.
tok-tok

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2007 7:04 PM

Yo, Buzzster, how is ya? Have you added any new kewl mugs to your tiki collection?

TD

looking good buz, i need to start on my big piece of wood...once we get heating in our garage. which is supposed to happen right soon!

Today's sunset:

Evened out the headress parts and did some more on the eyes

Side view

I wanted to bring the back in a few inches to bring the head forward on the body

The new profile I'm following

On 2007-12-04 13:35, GROG wrote:
GROG tried to watch the House of Buzz, but seeing you carving nude just made GROG scared for you, so GROG couldn't bare to watch anymore.

GROG: Should I put put a big "MA" warning on the cam site? I think you may have tuned in at the wrong time. Ypu must have been watching on ladies night. In the House of Buzz, Ladies Night has a different format than typical dollar drink night places. You better check the programming guide before you tune in next time. It might be Kinny night, and that would give you a heart attack.

Seeksurf: I heard on the news back to back storms have ripped the pacific northwest lately. Good luck with all that.

On 2007-12-04 14:04, tok-tok wrote:
I watched too, even if it is late for me (time shift). I don´t get it, the time data is unequal. But it is great to watch how an old stager is doing his work sitting in an armchair.

Hello Tok-tok: The time problem is from my time machine. I am showing you what I going to do later on. Soon, I will actually do what you have seen. Then the time will match. I work in my chair because I practice a safe work environment and employ ergonomics into my routine. Ergonomics means comfortable work tools, and my chair is an ergonomic carving tool.

On 2007-12-04 19:04, GMAN wrote:
Yo, Buzzster, how is ya? Have you added any new kewl mugs to your tiki collection?

I added a couple a few weeks back. Special limited edition mugs that are only available to true Tiki Guys like me. However, I just learned that a very special mug will be available to the general tiki audience. And if I didn't already have two of my very own special limited edition Man O war mugs, I'd bid and win this one one ebay right now, regardless of the cost:

It's at $30 right now...Shipping is paid for, now let's start bidding on the mug!

I got Lucky #13!

Buzzy Out!

Did just a spot of work on it last night:

He kind of has a head now.

Another nice day in paradise here. I think I'll do some carving.

Join me live at about noon today on the live cam

Early Lunch Time!
Buzzy Out!

Yesterday's sunset

I did just a slight bit more on this guy

I'd do some more, but,

Here comes the storm...

Since it's three days of rain in the forecast, I brought in all my carved tikis and will start sanding them now

I'll try to go live while I'm doing this, so check the live cam in about 30 minutes

Buzzy Out!

S

Nice lines coming out of the wood Buz.

You call that a storm! you are pamperd down south.

This guy was sanded and stained last night:

Now I just have to put some sealer on it

I like the way the top guy turned out

this guy is a very happy tiki

I also sanded a stained this guy.

I used early american, and have my reservations about using it on this type of wood. It seems to really react differently with the logs composition. The left over bark was a lot darker than the heart wood after I stained it, and I think the contrast is too great. Glad I tried it on a "throwaway" piece before a larger and better piece. I'll probably not use this stain on palm anymore;however, I like the effect that it had on the basswood pendant I used it on a while ago. I should go back and restain it, but I really don't care about anymore.

I also tackled a big portion of the sanding on this guy last night too

He's my first project of the day.

Seeksurf: I guess I bought into all the local media hype about our recent "storm." It was the lead off story on every channel for about five days here. It was like our version of a completely unwarranted Katrina sized media frenzy. It went like this on the local news every ten minutes: Live from the La Jolla shores is meterologist Doppler Bob. Bob says " I'm standing on the sand where in a few days water will fall from the sky and hit the ground all over the scene you see behind me. Four days from now, the scene will be much different, when all these people on the beach will have jackets on for two days, and it will be cloudy." Thanks Bob, now on to Matt, who is standing on a mountain waiting for the rain to come, in another 4 days...

We have less rain days than tiki events out here, so rain is a big thing.

I had a fifth of an inch of rain at my place. Shouldn't I qualify for federal aide or something?

Buzzy Out!

S

Nice Buzzy, you have a regular tiki petting zoo on your hands!

They the News teams do the same thing up her, but for any
snow that might fall. When we do get a good snow what
a mess.

C

You are a one man tiki factory Buzz...I like your two headed guy.
Doin' some nice work out there.

hey buzzy.....great stuff....its cool lurking on your live feed and watching you carve .....
the progression from start to finish is true entertainment......
and seeing the finished tiki is ........somehow weirdly satisfying.....
.........just getting my tiki fix...............................................

H

Buzzy, so true about the weather guys, we hardly got any rain out here also hahahaha, it's so stupid. Anyways, the new pieces are all coming along so nicely, we need a group shot from all 4 sides.

The totem is excellent! So when are you going to carve smething other than Palm? I'd love to see what you you could do with some wood that can take alot of detail!!

I had to shelve the Hawaiian guy I was sanding for a couple more weeks because it isn't dry enough to finish yet. I have to have all these finished by next Saturday for the big tikisale/party, so I moved on to another piece.

Sanded and stained this guy:

And I went back and restained this guy. I'm a little happier with the results now.

Now I just need to let them dry a little more and seal them

I'll start finishing the last one later this afternoon, on the live House of Buzz channel, of course.

On 2007-12-07 19:47, seeksurf wrote:
Nice Buzzy, you have a regular tiki petting zoo on your hands!

It helps to have them around to cure the lonely life I lead as a tiki carver. I like that petting zoo comparision...

On 2007-12-07 20:02, congatiki wrote:
You are a one man tiki factory Buzz...I like your two headed guy.
Doin' some nice work out there.

Thanks Conga! Always glad when you stop by for a little visit. Not only am I The San Diego Tiki Factory! I AM a living tiki factory! My production facilities never shut down. When I sleep I'm even making tikis in my subconscious mind...Nice work on your end too. I'm at times envious of people who can always carve without consideration of market factors. Keep it up, you're refreshing!

On 2007-12-07 23:19, closettiki wrote:
hey buzzy.....great stuff....its cool lurking on your live feed and watching you carve the progression from start to finish is true entertainment......
and seeing the finished tiki is somehow weirdly satisfying.....
just getting my tiki fix

The Dynamic processes of tiki carving! It's been fun having you guys along for ride. Thanks for keeping me company. (The dog is having a hard time figuring out who I' talking to all the time, :) )

On 2007-12-08 07:20, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy, so true about the weather guys, we hardly got any rain out here also hahahaha, it's so stupid. Anyways, the new pieces are all coming along so nicely, we need a group shot from all 4 sides.

Less than an inch in three days and they will not shut up!

On 2007-12-08 15:04, AlohaStation wrote:
The totem is excellent! So when are you going to carve smething other than Palm? I'd love to see what you you could do with some wood that can take alot of detail!!

Thanks AlohaStation! I really like that totem guy too. There's just so much palm out here to carve, though... Right now, I'm really trying to build up my "stock" of cheaper for sale tikis so that I can take time to work on some more involved tikis that no one wants to buy. Right now I really do not have anything left, and I just can't catch up with bread and butter stock. As for better wood types, I had trouble with the last batch of ficus I got: It all split, cracked and fell apart. Didn't get one good piece out of my whole last load. There is also trouble due to second language acquistion problems occurring with tree care "professionals" around here. In theory, it sounds easy to describe a log type and size, and then receive that log type and size according to the request. In practice, it's a whole different story.

Buzzy Out!

Top notch, Buzz. Your flurry of activity explains all that sawdust drifting across the bay... :wink:

No outdoor carving for me till I kick this lung infection. With all the wierd meds I'm on about all I'm good for this week is a Pink Floyd laser show.

Hey Hank. Since you are ailing, you probably missd the sunset on the ocean today. Scroll down real fast over this post and it will be like you were there.

Next up, I'm sanding this guy:

I'll once again do this on JTV, right after I watch Dexter a couple of times.

Opening credits are on!
Buzzy Out!

I have these three waiting to dry so I can apply another coat of clear:

I just have a couple areas to sand on him, which I will be doing while those are drying

After the devastating storm of last weekend, I took inventory of the damage so I could start the FEMA aid paper work game a rollin.

As you can see, the carving facility has extensive damage

This close up shows the structural damage sustained from the storm

It's a total loss.

Feel free to send donations my way: sometimes the government takes time to provide relief, and I do not want to be caught short this holiday season.

On the bright side, I only have everything to gain now.
Buzzy Out!

S

Nice detail work on the one you are sanding.

What about the National Guard you may need them to keep the looters
from pilfering your tiki's.

MY GOD MAN! THE HORROR! What will you do now, bro???

buzzy....what type of stain are you using on the darkest of the three in the last picture
ill try to catch you live and ask you.....

B

Dang Buzzzzz!

Your smokin up a storm brother! Keep on keeping on!

So my sanding, staining and finishing marathon has come to close. I finished all these guys:

Look out for sunspots

This one is my favorite

I just realized that I forgot to take a picture of one before I got rid of it. Oh well! It was just a slash and burn anyway

Closetiki: The totem marq was stained with Dark Walnut and the little maori wa stained with Red Mahogany.

Babalu: Now I'm taking a break...yawn! I'm tired....

Tbird: I'm just going to sit here and wait for the government to bail me out of my problems.

Seeksurf: I hope the National guard has shoot on sight orders...

Buzzy Out!

Buzz, I like how you put those two buck teeth in there. Are they real teeth? You should do more mixed media work.

:lol:

S

Looking good! Yes, toung man is my favorite also.
If i may ask, what is the top coat you are using?

Yesterday's sunset:

Today's sunset:

This afternoon I sanded and stained the super quick Cracked Moai that I carved several days ago

I also split and cleaned this log in prep for my tomorrow project

4WD: I made those two teeth in tribute to my good buddy, the space hippy, Babalu's latest bunny tiki carving

What's up Doc?

While we're on the subject
I retook the pictures that were messed up by the sun:

Seekssurf: It's Zinssler Bull's eye shellac. i don't recommend it for tikis in moisture prone areas.

It's wabbit season!
Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies