Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

An update showing last night's progress:

Back to work...
Buzzy Out!

Whoa Buzzay! it's gotta be fun creating such great carvings! this guy's gonna look great

No sunset today. Just the transition period between grey and dark:

I spent some time mainly working on the legs today. here are the results of my continuing efforts:

On 2008-07-28 12:02, Tiki Duddy wrote:
Whoa Buzzay! it's gotta be fun creating such great carvings! this guy's gonna look great

Fun doesn't even begin mto descibe the time I'm having. This is what I learned from that movie called Spinal Tap: "Have a good time, all of the time!" That's what I try to do...

I'm too tired to carve any more tonight. I think I'll have fun sitting around instead...
Buzzy Out!

S

What no sunset!! What the %@

THat Ku is looking GREAT!

On 2008-07-29 21:28, seeksurf wrote:
What no sunset!! What the %@

We're having that coastal marine layer thing going on lately. Here's yesterday:

And today:

Tiki update:

I did a good deal of refining of the body of the new KU today.
To start the day,I dug a neck out from under the chin, narrowed the upper chest, and defined the shoulders

then the arms, waist, legs, and inside of the knees were improved slightly

and lastlty, the hands, back of the legs and feet were worked on too

Daily dog photos:

Backlit Ringo:

Sleepy Kiva:

To carve or rest, that is the question...
Buzzy Out!

B

Looks like Kiva is really Over worked and under fed, give the dog a break and let Him carve the tiki for once, I'm Sure he will Love 'ya for it.
Your tikis are looking pretty Bad-assed here recently Buzz

To reply to your comment a few pages back, yeah.......Northpark SUCKS(been offline for a couple of days for the move and hospital visit), but the show was great. Here's a couple more of you and Zaya~

And here you are with MISTER Mad Dog 20/20, the official, Cool-aid flavored turpentine.

Good show, old man, good show! Next month, I'm planning a Beach Party in Watts and I have one carving space left.......you in?

View my work @

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-31 16:45 ]

Yesterday's end:

Yesterday was also carve at the hotel day. They moved the venue to the other lawn this time.

I took the eastern corner

I did a smaller set up this time because there was some real gusty wind

I was right next to the guitar dude this time

I didn't do much mallet carving, instead I spent most of my time carving little pendants in the chair:

In the background, the old timey Mark Twain boat.
I sold that tiki there yesterday. Now I have to finish it.

I think that boat is called the Bahia Bell.

Before I went down there, I cut a couple strips of basswood and pre drilled some holes. the plan was to knock out some pendants. I planned on spending about 15-20 minutes on each one. Nothing fancy. Just some quick and cheap hand carved one offs.

I was able to knock out five while I was there:

I think they look neat on the stick.
I'll cut them apart after I do the last two and sand them a little and stain them.

On 2008-07-31 16:43, Billy the Crud wrote:
Next month, I'm planning a Beach Party in Watts and I have one carving space left.......you in?

Im definitely in! You know how I thrive in what they euphemistically refer to as a multicultural environment! Thanks for posting the shots of my brief carving adventures out in da hood too.

What will today bring?
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 11:47 AM

"Just some quick and cheap hand carved one offs."

Buzzy's becoming the local carver, the guy people talk about when they go back to Wisconsin!

"You wouldn't believe it, Rob. This guy sits there on the beach all day, carving these strange little Tiki things. He said they're Good Luck cause they have 'Mana'. Mana Schmanna, the wife and I bought six! They were a steal at 185.00 each!"

Buzzy, what kind of music was Guitar Guy playing? I can kinda guess by lookin at him! :roll:

I like the "tiki-on-a-stick" idea. If you leave them stuck together, and thread a cord thru the top one, you could wear it. "Tiki-on-a-stick-on-a-rope." :lol:

pics of Buzz resting in the TaPa robe??

MR

I'm liking that Ku. It's gotta nice shape and use of depth to it. You go girlfriend!
Cheers.

Yesterday's sunset

Today's merge into dark

Tiki updates:

I warmed up yesterday by stripping a couple new logs. Here is the big one I didn't cut a piece off of:

Then I took the perfect sized chunk from the base of the other log for my next project

Those layout marks mean Peace Out! I mean, take this piece out:

It got dark soon after I did the layout on the log, so I came inside and warmed up by doing another quick pendant on the "Tiki-on-a-stick-on-a-rope.":

one more to go:

Then chopchopchop, off came three Trader joes paper bags full of chips last night

Here is the rough layout today, after a little exterior sanding:

Then I hollowed it out and did some more shaping:

I'm going to try and get all the rough blocking out done on it tonight and then let it set for a couple days while I finish the carving the Ku and (finally) the Lono.

On 2008-08-01 15:25, 4WDtiki wrote:
Buzzy, what kind of music was Guitar Guy playing?
"Tiki-on-a-stick-on-a-rope." :lol:

set list includes: girl from impanema, Michelle, a bunch of Simon and Garfunkel, a couple rolling stones and a bunch of finger picked renditions of songs that you say to yourself as you listen: I kinda recognize that, but can't figure out what hell it is! My favorite thing about him is that folding footrest thing he uses. :)
"Tiki-on-a-stick-on-a-rope." You didn't happen to trademark that phrase, did you?

On 2008-08-02 07:29, RevBambooBen wrote:
pics of Buzz resting in the TaPa robe??

There will be plenty of Tapa robe Buzzy pics at work, rest, and most important, PLAY! I should have my own magazine...

On 2008-08-02 09:00, Matt Reese wrote:
I'm liking that Ku. You go girlfriend!Cheers.

Thanks Bi-otch! Hi five! See you soon.

On 2008-08-01 11:47, Cammo wrote:
Buzzy's becoming the local carver, the guy people talk about when they go back to Wisconsin!

I've been given the key to the city of Sheboygan, and all the rights and privileges that come along with that honor! Wisconsin Rocks! Go Brett Favre!

On 2008-07-31 02:45, Benzart wrote:
Your tikis are looking pretty Bad-assed here recently Buzz

I think I'm staring to get a handle on some of the simpler aspects of this carving thing now. Now to tackle the hard stuff...

I need a Pepsi, STAT!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-08-03 02:19 ]

HOK

On 2008-08-02 21:44, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I should have my own magazine...

Chippin' Males... Tapa Robe Edition :)

Nice drum base! Freddie_______________

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-08-03 03:32 ]

T

Is there even any palm left within a 100 mi radius of you Buzz? Great stuffs bro!!

Hell ya!

Been waiting to see someone do one of these lately!

Nice start, if I had some palm I'd give it a go, but all this hardwood would take forever.

You're on a tear Buz.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-08-03 10:10 ]

Yah, it'll be interesting to see how this drum bangs out. I've been inclined to carve one too since I saw a recent post here on TC about the Marq drum. Good luck Buzzy.

Stagger Onward Rejoicing

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-08-03 10:20 ]

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi to my old pal Buzz!! Hey buddy I am just amazed at how you keep crankin this stuff out. I am lovin the KU and am looking forward in seeing what you do with the Drum. I hope I get to hang with you one of these days, cause it feel like it's been a long time since I saw you last!!

Today's sunset:

I worked on the Ku for most of the afternoon today:
I started with the eyes and then started the tongue

Then I did more on the shoulders, chest, and started to block out the headress

Here's the back:

Mouth and headress next...

Here's the progress from last night on this piece:

Hollowed out a lot more now

Faces blocked in:

Legs tapered:

I'll probably put an hour or two into this one tonight to change gears for a little.

On 2008-08-03 03:30, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Nice drum base! Freddie_______________

Yo Freddie! A drum? Crap! Why didn't I think of that? I originally constructed this with another use in mind...

On 2008-08-03 07:04, Tornhalo wrote:
Is there even any palm left within a 100 mi radius of you Buzz? Great stuffs bro!!

If there is, I'm looking for it right now. As a matter of fact, I was just hassling a new tree service guy I met yesterday for some more logs...Poor trees!

If I lived in Oceanside, I'd just carve live ones when I run out.

On 2008-08-03 10:10, Lake Surfer wrote:

Nice start, if I had some palm I'd give it a go, but all this hardwood would take forever.

Thanks Lake! I couldn't imagine doing this in hard wood. I smacked the shit out of my chisel holding hand several times whiole doing it. It's nice shade of bruise today. Chisel kept getting caught on the rim too, making for some painful deflections. It did get a little softer about six inches in...

On 2008-08-03 10:20, Jungle Trader wrote:
Yah, it'll be interesting to see how this drum bangs out.

Hey Jungle Trader. I believe the hard part will be the head. Never done a stretched hide head before. Can't be that hard, can it? Oh well, I let you all how I do, even if I fail...

On 2008-08-03 10:49, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I hope I get to hang with you one of these days, cause it feel like it's been a long time since I saw you last!!

Spermy! Good to see you back here! I just had a Tarot card reading and it said you were definitely in my future...

Right now my future is foody!
Buzzy Out!

Oh my god.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2008 11:06 PM

On 2008-08-03 20:25, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Pure unadulterated awesomeness - Rodin meets Gauguin! I am secretly hoping this will soon become the most-quoted image on TC...

HOK
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.