Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

I still have no idea where this one is going...

Benzart: thanks for the comps, now go check your mail...
Buzzy

B

Thats the Most fun, when you don't know where you're going, Everything is a surprise. Jazz musicians Live for those moments.

TD

buzzy man is that looking good! cant wait for more

Looks like one of those church wall recessed things for religious statues. Maybe you could carve a little tiki to stand up there...

F

Buzzy, I just found your post and I'm on page three with tears of laughter and sighs of relief for you. I'll ketchup later! Yer stuffs great!

B

Hey Buzz, I checked my mail and for GOOD Reason, there were some Awsome things in there for Benzart. Thanks a thousand times, they are Awesome!!

Just keep Buzzzzing along bayPark!!

Benzart: Glad you finally got the "package." I'm still buzzing along on this tiki today.It's too hot to go inland and carve the stump today. I've been reflecting on the jazz comment you made yesterday though; I'm hoping this live fusion tiki turns out like Art Blakey's "Moanin'", rather than Ornette Coleman's live in Stockholm album. If it don't work out, I'll stick to something safe , like Kenny G next time...

Freddiemon: See you in about a week. Only 30 pages to go...Welcome to No Man's Land. Enjoy yourself-it's the only rule here.

4wd: El vigin de Guadalupe would fit perfect right there

TDuddy: Here's more...

I keep thinking I should cut that top part off, but that was the original intent of this tiki

My dog says "good morning all, my name is Kiva. I'm your best friend!"

I still have enough room for a real tiki on the back

They cancelled high school in the east county today because of the heat. What a bunch of wimps!

I Can Take The Heat Like A Man Buzzy Out!(no I can't)

Boy, work sure is a drag. I cannot wait for the weekend. I'm sick of the day in day out rat race. After doing a morning commute, I had to go out on a golf course and do a job. It's just a bunch of boring nature with no beach there. I don't understand how people could live out there. This is a view from my office:

This was for another tournament. I've never been in a golf tournament, nor even played golf; my question is this: Do they always hire a bunch of skank to hang out at men's golf tournaments? It was twenty deep at the start of the day. The girls were not as outrageously hot as the playboy girls, but the red bull spokesmodels had better outfits. Instead of pictures of strippers at their day job, here's an empty hut set up. This is a Tiki site, afterall.

Refinements:

It was tough doing the removal of the mouth material.

I think a plant in a tiki pot will go up here. Or, I might hollow the head out to fit a plant's pot. Or I might still cut it off...

I can fit another tiki here:

That way, if the front sucks, someone can buy the other side and still have a decent carving.

I didn't sleep at all last night...

Fore! Buzzy Out!

On 2006-08-29 01:45, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I gave him eyes. He needs them to see the new Camaro coming out in 2009.

I officially started growing my mullet today when I saw the prototype.

I am so tired of this tiki, I cannot wait to finish it so I can get it out of my sight forever. When it leaves, I will call it late at night crying for it to come back to me. It will say no, not until I give up all my other tikis. So heavy a toll...

how's the burnin' going, buzzy? i dig the eyes. if i get this one you can visit him anytime. let's see a coupla pics of the golf course wahines!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 1:29 PM

On 2006-09-08 11:57, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I think a plant in a tiki pot will go up here. Or, I might hollow the head out to fit a plant's pot. Or I might still cut it off...

I think the obvious answer to your question is another tiki - or a sexy wahine! Just don't cut the top off, it looks really good.

H

OMG, Buzzy, if you ever make a macho tiki with a spot for plants on it let me know quick. As you know that will come in handy in my jungle.

B

Either a plant OR a Cool Hula Girl would be really cool?
Buz, I love the one that you Sooo tired of. I think you found a lesson there: It is so much fun and eazy to start off the burning detail and to go Crazy with All the new spaces you can add lines and stuff,,,BUT, you Must finish what you start. An intricate, multi lined detail that seems so eazy in the beginning, gets tedious and aggrivating before you get finished. Still it really looks great and is among you7r better tikis.

ST

Hey Buzzy, you gonna have room for me to crash during the next Tiki Oasis? Heard a rumor it will be aug next year? Gives you plenty of time to put some A/C in your house. All that $ you're making now quit acting so broke!
Now post some more pix so we can see what crazy stuff you came up w/ now!

buzzy man that looks awsome. its comming together for sure. you should keep the top on there man. im sure you will think of some amazingly crazy good idea for it eventually.

great stuff

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 8:54 PM

Didja go on vacation or what? You cut your arm off? Where you is?

-Gman

H

That whole in the headress could hold a tiki torch or a dnagling tiki charm (like the gecko on King Julians crown in the movie Madagascar). Just be careful of the flames if you do go a tiki torch :)

On 2006-09-10 20:54, GMAN wrote:
Didja go on vacation or what? You cut your arm off? Where you is?

-Gman

GMAN: I'm not bored with football yet because the chargers are still in first place. Had to watch the rest of the AFC west falter today. Actually, Had this big post and poof!! Pictures, comments etc. All gone. Along with the time spent. Oh well! You hear about Tank Abbott vs. Paul Buentello? Thanks for checking in, by the way. Nice work you been doin lately. Been silently enjoying your pendant madness these days. i think some of the new guys on TC are wondering why you have a chainsaw in your logo. that blow to the head make you forget where you left your chaps? Nevermind, great stuff. Keep it up. I'm sure that trigger finger is starting to itch, though...

Ben, Hew, TD, KTD, and HIL: sorry. Lost my words for you guys. Blame windows.

Hi-lights of lost posts
Worked on the beach tonight:

I worked real slow tonight. I was the only one one the beach and it was perfect. Tshirt and shorts weather. I wanted the feeling to last forever. I think summer was saying goodbye to me, and giving me one last taste. I was glad to be there to say goodbye. Here she comes Hewey. Treat her well and wear sunscreen. Oh crap! Here comes Santa Ana...run!

Made another sign too. People seem to like these:

Charles Barkely Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 4:07 AM

Hello Summer :)

I dont think its here yet - we just got crappy cold and wet weather.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 4:38 AM

Buzzy,

Heya. Glad you are not dead. Nice sign BTW. Looks like you've been getting plenty of orders for those. Way to go. How is my room coming? I like contemprary fixtures, with lots of white space.

So what was up with the drug-induced photos above? What the heck were you up to? Those look like the outtakes from a TJ Hooker episode!

As for the saw, I've been doing some saw work - just haven't posted it. I actually had it out yesterday working on some very small scary areas on my big cedar Maori. I have the saw on my logo because it is may favorite tool - for anything (including cleaning the bathroom and driving nails). For those who can use it to it's fullest potential, it's a gas. For those who can't - I can see why they would hate it. If you can't handle it properly or don't have enough experience with it, it will shred your carving and give you migraine. Experience is the key for all tools. You need to know what you are doing before you use them. They are not magic (I know you know this, but somehow I got on a rant...sorry).

So wassup with these 10 second Ultimate Fighter fights? I have to watch an hour of MTV-like crap with 10 guys in a house acting like idiots just to see some guy give up his back and get choked out in a milli-second? Arrrggghhh! Boy, I can't wait for this weekend.

Forget the heat and get back to posting carvings. Let it RIP!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-09-11 04:41 ]

Decided to go through with the tiki on the back thing

Some day when i'm done, the tiki on the front will say "look at my fancy hat!"

Someone recently said: "I want to have a surf party!" The best place for a surf party is obvious: the beach. Surfing and the beach go together like Las Vegas and sleaze. So, where was the surf party? At the bay.

I'm a big fan of global warming. I cannot wait until the sea level rises and covers all of MB and PB. Then that stale shitty beer and piss smell will finally be washed away. When the sea level rises, De Anza cove and crown point will become great reefs.
Can you guys see my house in the background? It's the one on the hill with the tikis in the back yard

Here is the part where I play advertiser of the fine things san diego has to offer our visitors:
Look, a Mark Twain boat. Bring the kids!

Here is where I inject my cynical local pespective:

This part of the bay has a "dead" spot in the tidal flow. You can see some of the "foam" on the water's surface. this happens when the tide goes out. It actually gets to be about six inches thick and just sits there. the hotel has a crew of six that runs out every half hour or so and scoops up all the yuck off the water and hauls it away. That way, when you go swimming, you cannot figure out why your skin falls off.
Bay Surfer Buzzy Out!

Sunset update:

It's been interesting trying to blend this side with the back side of the front. Or is it the middle? Or the front of the back?
I'll Be Back Buzzy Out!

buzzy man that looks great. the back is gonna look amazing im sure. if it dosent blend it could be like some kind of "two face" or "split personallity" thing. what ever you do it will turn out like always man.
lookin forward to more

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 12, 2006 8:01 PM

Thats a wierd looking tiki man! I likey :)

H

Far out!

B

Keep on Truckin' Buzz, we Know you can do it!

I started that on site 6 foot stump today. Last week's heat wave was gone, I have no parties to set up, and I cannot find an excuse not to go inland for a while today. Since this stump is at the top of a steep bank, i needed to make a platform to stand on.

Sometimes I can channel the thoughts and senses of other carvers. I do not try to do this, it happens accidently. Later, I will accidently channel my #1 fan's thoughts, as he says under the haze of a buzz, "I hope that f%$^$ Buzzy falls off that platform."

It's in a great place. It looks over the driveway and faces the house.

I do not know how these people found me. One day I actually answered the phone and a man asked me if I was the chainsaw carver. I said yes. Next thing I know, I'm truckin out to east county to look at a stump.

Doorbell rang during this post. Mailman. New tools!
Buzzy Out!

On 2006-09-14 14:58, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Doorbell rang during this post. Mailman. New tools!
Buzzy Out!

mailmen rule! can't wait to see what you do with that big stump, buzzy.

On 2006-09-14 16:00, kingstiedye wrote:

mailmen rule!

KTD:
Damn straight!
He brought the three on the bottom right. The ones with the clean handles. Cannot wait to get my grubby hands on them.

I was going to post this picture on the tools carvers use, but I'm selfish like that. I feel like a proud papa showing off pictures of his kids. Look at my pretty tools, These tools are gifted!!!

On 2006-09-09 21:02, Stiki Tiki wrote:
All that $ you're making now quit acting so broke!

See those tools...bye bye $$$

Papa Buzzy Out!

Ah yeah,but the new tools will make mucho more denero! And you'll come up w/ more mindblowing carvings...
Tikiland treating you good? I miss that easy money...$20 to go get me coffee, $100 to fix this, free goodies all day long. Yup sure miss it!

I usually shy away from all of the tourist type destinations in and around San Diego. Since I've been doing these tiki bar parties, I've gone to many places that I would never go to otherwise . I went to one such place yesterday to set up a bunch of huts, bars, and tikis...

On the deck of the aircraft carrier Midway

They decommisioned the ship and turned it into a museum.

We had to load our stuff into the basket on the forklift. then it was placed on the ship's elevator. From there, it was raised to the flight deck.

We had to wait for the pepsi guy and the heinekin guy load their stuff. While I was waiting, i checked out the ship. It was early and it was still closed. There was no supervision, so I went behind all the ropes and climbed into all the stuff that said no access.
This is San Diego skyline from the flight deck:

Looking south towards the Coronado Bay Bridge

The Bali Hai is back there, to the right and behind the ship...

There were all kinds of planes and stuff on the deck:

The party was a Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville blowout

I put the picture of the tiki here to justify this post on TC.
Look at the tiki!

I put all this up here so that people will not have to come to San Diego. You'd hate the traffic. It costs alot of money too...
Off Topic Again Buzzy Out!

you have all the fun!

On 2006-09-14 17:19, Stiki Tiki wrote:
I miss that easy money...

Easy money? I need to reposition myself within the organization...apparently.
Buzzy

no you bring a load of crazy kids and he pays you to leave!

Tiki I'm working on at home at night update:

Head details

This one is finally starting to come around

Next is this big fella...

My ryobi planer shaves as close as a blade...

Buckaroo Buzzy Out

Lot's of excitement this weekend.
For starters, there are these boats down on the bay going really fast today. Tomorrow, when ESPN is here, look for my house in the helicopter shots from above. It's the one with the tikis in the backyard, most of which are unfinished.
Here is a picture of boats going real fast. It's hard to judge the speed in this picture.

Tomorrow, when the big boys come out, the spray when they make that turn will be larger than the bridge behind it. That must be the women's heat...

I take a lot of nature pictures when I carve. Here is a spider eating another spider on the back of one of my old tikis. Earlier this morning, a log fell, which knocked something over, which knocked this tiki into my plate glass window, domino style. Luckily, the window didn't break. Weak ass tiki couldn't even smash glass...When I lifted it, I saw this mutual of omaha wild kingdom moment.
Poor spider and Lucky spider:

Worked on the on site stump this morning. I was just going to draw it out today, but the design that the owner wanted was quite simple, so I hacked into it a little.

I found out that there is someone selling tikis locally in a trader type magazine. When you call him and ask for custom carvings, he gives you my number. This is about the 5th person that has called in the last couple of months. Hey paper guy that gives out my number: Thanks, man. Who are you anyway?

I think I am done with this:

Instead of a tiki with a fancy hat, who has a tiki with a bird face on his back; I made a tiki with a fancy hat with another tiki on his back with a fancy bird faced hat. This is the worst thing I have ever done or seen on TC, ever!

In the last tiki magazine, B said something about putting a bunch of details on a crappy tiki to hide the fact that it is a crappy tiki. Guilty! Like those details? I'll fix them up a bit with the dremel during sanding.

I tried to put one piece from every tiki I saw in the last few weeks into this one:

There is a gray cat that has been hanging around my yard lately. I try to chase it away because most of the lizards around here are missing a tail or leg. I did notice that I have no more gophers, though. Last night, I walked into the kitchen and a big rat was sitting in the dog's bowl, eating the food. I thought that I might kidnap the cat for a night and lock it in the kitchen, to get the rat. I just saw the cat outside my door a moment ago, stalking something. It ran out of the bushes suddenly, chasing the rat...It's on!
UB40 Would Say There's A Rat in the Kitchen Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 16, 2006 3:27 PM

Sometimes I wonder what goes in your head buzzy. I then quickly realise I will not understand and its better off not trying... :)

Look for you in the background? A guy on a forum my g/f goes on was an extra in Spiderman. If you paused it, he was far off in the background in 2 stills, and he was a blur! Funny thing was he posted "I hope everyone enjoys watching the film as much as we enjoyed filming it" hahaha. He now has the nickname "The Blur" :)

Paper tiki referral guy is cool. Maybe send him some carved tiki thanks!

Cover up a crap tiki with detail - let me write that one down...

Later Blurry Buzzy Boy!

buzzy man that spider picture is fairly grusome there. both those tikis are looking maddly good. and by the pictures the weather looks pretty nice there. its already getting cold here. winter is comming really soon.

great stuff

Hey Tiki Duddy: Missed you for a couple days. Hope everything was well with you. How's that coconut going? Make sure it doesn't run across any of those mini tikis. Cold? Man, it was 93 degrees out where I was carving today. Not quite hockey season out here yet. Does it snow where you live?

This tiki will never see snow...

unless it is chopped off, and turned into a pendant, and taken somewhere else on a vacation, where it snows.

I'm not sure about this one, I might need to add some details...The home owner wants those other two carved some day also, along with three more on the property.

It would be cool to see this every time you drive up to your house.

Yesterday, I "loaned" out some tikis for a wedding:

It was a lovely ceremony. If I hear the word aloha one more time...

On 2006-09-16 15:27, hewey wrote:
Sometimes I wonder what goes in your head buzzy. I then quickly realise I will not understand and its better off not trying... :)

Yeah. Good idea. Save you a lot of time and frustration.

Just look at the pretty pictures everyone...

Bzzzzzzzeeeee Out!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 17, 2006 11:05 PM

Wow, Buzzy! This is the first time GROG has found this thread. GROG really like your tikis.

Grog: Thanks for being the first one to post a reply on my thread. I finally feel like someone has heard of me. Welcome to TC and post more pictures!

TCers: Grog's stuck on "repeat" again. When one of you runs into him, can you switch him back to "shuffle" for me? Thanks

When I left this carving site today, the thermometer read 100

It's actually about 7 feet tall

I like it from this angle

Almost done

I tore down a party this morning in a back yard. A back yard full of dog crap. The smell is burned in my nasal memory. How can people live like that?

Can You Smell It Too Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-09-21 21:48 ]

M

Hey Buzzy, Smell some clorox for a second or two, dog poop go away fast.

Nice big n fat carve going on there.

But, it's a different kind of heat.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

ALOHA Buzzy, we want to make sure you get your Aloha dose for today. I Love this Hillside tiki you are doing. Excellent scaffold you created to enable doing the job. And you are really getting Deep cuts in this one...Excellent,Excellent
Aloha for now.

Benzart and McTiki: Aloha! and thanks(aloha!) for the advice. Aloha!

Aloha! I had some logs delivered yesterday. When I saw the truck, I yelled," Aloha! Aqui!!"

There are 16 total

9 are between 6-7 feet long.

So I guess I shouldn't give this up yet; it would be a pain to have to haul all theses away.
I tried to give some logs away a while back. No takers. I saw that a person is selling logs on a current thread. Maybe i should have tried to sell them. Free logs might have something wrong with them. Pay for palm logs? I cannot imagine that...
Aloha
Logs For Sale By The Pound Buzzy Out!

I finished the hillside head this morning

It is still real wet, so I cannot sand it or burn some of the parts. I will go back in a couple of weeks to give it a once over

It measures 7 feet three inches

This is the tiki's view for all eternity

It's up there, on the right, at the end of the driveway.
Hewey, just so you get an idea of the scale of this tiki head, I placed a penny at its base for size comparison. See how much larger the head is than the penny in this picture:

Happy Birthday Zaya!

I Got A Lotta Logs Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-09-21 23:40 ]

H

Buzzy can you please save one long log for me, in case I am good at carving??? :)
Oops I almost forgot, I love the last huge 7 foot tiki, you are getting so smooth at this Buzzers..

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2006-09-21 18:25 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 12:07 AM

If GROG buy a log from Buzzy, it would be "the GROG log". AH HA HA HA!! GROG crack GROG up.

Now what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah. Nice big-assed carving you're doing there, compadre.

H

Grog, it is early morning and you are making me laugh so hard, I just don't know what to say.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 5:16 PM

Buzzy, im still unsure how big that tiki is... We dont got no pennies down under...

Happy birthday Zaya! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies