Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

B

KIVA the Carving Wonder Dog is back in the saddle.....WoHooo!

The carpet has never been cleaner over at Buzzy's House than where he dropped that taco for Kiva.

Lookin GREAT Buzzy!!! Your really crankin out some Smokin carvings,keep it up, Aloha , Mooney

Today's sunset:

rain storm is gone. It left 3.05 inches in my rain gauge over the last few days. That's a lot for here

I worked on the big drum today. I did some more work on tapering it to the bottom part.

I also dug a lot deeper. I only have about six more inches to go

Now I need to make a space between the legs so I can punch the hole all the way through:

It was visiting artist day today. Today's VA was Jabtiki.

Look how happy he is to be carving!

On 2008-12-18 09:13, Babalu wrote:
The carpet has never been cleaner over at Buzzy's House than where he dropped that taco for Kiva.

That's what we call vacuuming around here.

On 2008-12-18 13:30, MooneyTiki wrote:
Lookin GREAT Buzzy!!! Your really crankin out some Smokin carvings,keep it up, Aloha , Mooney

Thanks Mooney. I just keep on keeping on. On and on...

On 2008-12-17 21:20, RevBambooBen wrote:
She's got at least 5 more palms left!

And a few more Taco Tuesday's too...

On 2008-12-18 03:10, Benzart wrote:
See what happens when you live right and the ancients are Happy with you?

Do you think an offering of a Taco Tuesday taco would further appease the ancients? I can do that.

On 2008-12-17 17:54, T_birdman wrote:
Go Kiva, Go Kiva, Go Kiva!!!!

Kiva says thanks Tbird and asks how the Raiders are doing this year.

On 2008-12-17 13:03, JenTiki wrote:
Comeback Kiva!

I think that's her new name. Thanks Jen!

On 2008-12-17 08:46, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
:o :lol: Long live Kiva!

Kiva says thanks for the Taco.

Kiva wishes that every night could be Tuesday.
Buzzy Out!

JT

Good session today Buzz.

Buzz... good to hear that Kiva is doing better, and that the two of you will be spending many more years together.

The drums are sweet. You're really cranking them out.
I wish I had some palm. I would give the drum a try here with local wood, but I run the risk of cracks and that would more than likely affect the sound.

3 inches of rain. Your lawn should green up real nice. :)

I would gladly take your rain if you would like the 14 inches of snow we are getting right now. Saturday night we will get 6 inches of snow. Then Tuesday we will get another 3-5.
In the meantime, the daytime highs run about 16 degrees and the night lows are 8. Christmas looks to be below 0.

So, its always worse somewhere else. :wink:

Keep chopping!

OK Buzz, ya wanna go down that road huh? Don't you mean the last 6 years??

On 2008-12-19 15:22, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4251491.html

Screw that! I just passed my smog check!

Now I have my car idling out in the driveway just spitting out that CO2.

Enjoy your global warmed, CO2 filled California air you bunch of asmatic pussies! I paid for it...

Buzzy Out!

H

Happy Holidays Buzzy, Zaya and Kiva.

Yesterday's sunset:

The days are getting a little longer now.

I started out on the drum's legs yesterday. First thing I did was remove the wood from between them:

That made it so I could start hollowing it out from the bottom through the new space. I only had to go up six inches to meet up with the hole I carved from the top

Then I came back down from the top and evened it all out

Then I cleaned up the outside a little bit:

Now I wait and hope it dries without cracking. So far so good on the other two...

I've also been hitting the mud a little. This guy just needs some work on his left arm:

I also made some pieces to test some glaze combos on. Here they are with another piece just roughed out:

Visitors to the House of Buzz lately:

Jabtiki tries to meet an Xmas deadline:

and Ringo shows off his eyebrow perm:

On 2008-12-22 21:35, hiltiki wrote:
Happy Holidays Buzzy, Zaya and Kiva.

Hey Hiltiki! Happy holidays to you all too! Tiki looks good all dressed up for the holiday. Thanks for the photo!

On 2008-12-19 02:10, T_birdman wrote:
OK Buzz, ya wanna go down that road huh? Don't you mean the last 6 years??

Always next year, right?

On 2008-12-18 23:34, Lake Surfer wrote:
3 inches of rain. Your lawn should green up real nice. :)

So, its always worse somewhere else. :wink:

I got lawn growing everywhere now. Even where there shouldn't be lawn. :(
Worse somewhere else...Ain't that the truth. :)

Happy Holidays to all, and to all a...
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-12-24 12:33 ]

It was raining, it was Christmas, it was a UFC weekend, somehow the crappy Chargers made the playoffs, I watched 17 straight episodes of OZ, and I was sick...

I'm full of excuses as to why I didn't do much the last few days. Here's the few things that I managed to fit in between everything else that was going on:

First, I finished the arm on this guy

Then I did the rest of this guy

After that it was back to the drawing board for my next pieces:

And now, the resulting pieces from those sketches

Had to let this guy sit to dry a little before I do the final touchups:

A little work to do on the eyes and beaks still

This guy is finished and awaiting the kiln:

That's it for the clay

In wood news:
The little drum is ready to be detail carved now. I think it's dry enough . After I roughed it out, I weighed it and it was 30 lbs. I just reweighed it and it was only 21. Seems to have lost a little moisture over the last couple of weeks. I think the bigger kettle drum came in at about 50 and the conga weighed about 80. Still a lot of wet in those...Meanwhile, I continue to gain weight as I convert more of my body mass to pure lean muscle. I'm the same size, I just weigh more and am a lot stronger.

I put the "I" in fit!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-12-29 18:52 ]

B

You know, when I said "Buzzy, I want to see a whole kiln load out of you"...I had no doubt that you would do it. I just didn't think you would pull it off in a week!

Your such a clay stud Buzzy! Ok, ok, how can we combine the clay and the wood :-) Mixed Media!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Dec 30, 2008 7:09 AM

Buzzy, somehow your stuff gets better when you're sick and it's raining outside! Maybe you should get something really bad and long lasting (cholera?) and go live in Seattle.

Union Bay Buzzy.

B

man buzzy
the drums the drums to steal a quote are amazing
i would like to try making one sometime,i'm puttin it on the list
and your clay work is makin me want to get back to babalus

great stuff

B

Buzzy, I'm Watchin' you, Looks like you have Everything under control out there.
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY New Year to You and Zaya and Kiva and Ringo too!

JT

Happy New Year.
Hope to visit The House Of Buzz again very soon.

My computer quit on me the other day. Fortunately, Zaya was able to lend me her laptop and I'm temporarily up and running again. To make the most of this opportunity, I will now do an update of my work.

A couple days ago I started doing all the boring fixing up and measuring stuff on the little drum. After all that, I was able to finish carving it up last night. Here it is:

Sanding next!

I also did a little clay work. I finished the guy on the right and made the bird man rock pendant on the left

I also have two mugs in the works. Here's one, the big 40oz chug mug:

Rainy day today. Might work in the mud...

On 2008-12-30 06:43, Babalu wrote:
You know, when I said "Buzzy, I want to see a whole kiln load out of you"...I had no doubt that you would do it. I just didn't think you would pull it off in a week!

I want to have so many pieces that I cannot fire them yet because I'm waiting for my other older stuff from the week before to be fired first. One more kiln to go!

On 2008-12-30 07:09, Cammo wrote:
Buzzy, somehow your stuff gets better when you're sick and it's raining outside! Maybe you should get something really bad and long lasting (cholera?) and go live in Seattle.

Does feigning a disability count?

On 2009-01-02 11:39, buzzard wrote:
man buzzy
the drums the drums to steal a quote are amazing

That's a good idea and a cool quote. I'm glad I made it up. I think I'll name my thread that: The Drums! The Drums!

On 2009-01-02 19:22, Benzart wrote:
Buzzy, I'm Watchin' you, Looks like you have Everything under control out there.
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY New Year to You and Zaya and Kiva and Ringo too!

Thanks Benz! Happyhappyhappy New Year and see ya soon!

On 2009-01-03 01:38, jab tiki wrote:
Hope to visit The House Of Buzz again very soon.

Cool. Bring some Wild Cherry Pepsi...

Happy New Year all!
Buzzy Out!

I couldn't sleep last night so I did a marathon of sanding on the drum:

It's real nice and smoothy like:

Prior to sanding, I was working on some clay stuff.
I put a shamrock on the chugger mug and made drinky cup II.

Now they are drying up a little to do the next step

Today I will stain the drum!
Buzzy Out!

T

Bird man rock pendant?! COOL!! Yeah, the drums keep gettin better and better too. I gotta try making one of those. 8)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2009 7:03 PM

On 2009-01-05 12:07, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Today I will stain the drum!

Too much information!

I think that one more coat of stain on the drum will do it. Here it is now:

I've had a couple unfinished projects sitting around for a few months that I finally got around to working on. One was sanding and staining the little cannibal I carved back in May, and the other was fixing the swampfire tiki that was damaged in shipping last year.
Last night was another sleepless night, so it was well spent sanding these suckers out in the cold garage:

A little touch up sanding in daylight today and the first coats of stain were applied:

I went for a multi colored look on the cannibal. the body will be a lot darker. Peobably two more coats of stain there.

On 2009-01-05 19:03, GROG wrote:
Too much information!

Knowledge is power! Here's a step by step of my secret staining process:

That's how I get that dull antiqued look to it...

BigT: Good luck on making that drum! They're cool because they are tiki things you can actually use, instead of just sitting there after you make them. Downside is they are a lot of work...

Time to cut some hide...
Buzzy Out!

Classic!

( I bet the Tacos help too!)

S

Nice Buzzy even the crapper.

Classic is a understatement

Buzzy, you have some of the nicest (stools) in town!

HOK

Show em the one with the Dairy Queen swirl at the tip...:lol:

HOK

double post

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2009-01-08 01:00 ]

T

On 2009-01-07 08:45, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Buzzy, you have some of the nicest (stools) in town!

doh! :lol:

Today's sunset:

It's supposed to get warm out here over the next couple of days. I can't wait!

Tiki stuff:

These guys are one finish coat away from being done:

The drum still needs to dry for another day until I seal it too.

I think it's about time I start making some tikis again. I can't remember the last time I carved an actual tiki out of a log. I think it was the KU I finished a few days before Oasis last August. Damn! That's forever ago! I hope I still remember what to do...

Stupid process of making tikis always begins with the prep work. Today was "make a big mess getting ready" day:

The results of today's labor:

Here's one for the strange as hell files:

I had a large diameter log sitting in my yard in the same spot for a couple months. The other day I went to move it and found that a gopher had surfaced his hole right under the center of the log. Here's the hole on the spot where the log was.

I thought it was kind of funny because he was the hard luck gopher who ended his hole under my log. I figured the gopher hit the log and just moved on.
When I flipped the log over while moving it, I saw that the gopher actually continued his hole up into the log:

This is about 8-9 inches deep and 4 inches wide. I wonder if he thought he hit some real hard dirt and just kept on going? I should train him to hollow out the drums...

Stupid Gopher!
Buzzy Out!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2009 9:51 PM

These two look great, Buzzy!

...is it your work, or the work of your gopher toadie?

B

Hey Buzzy, FIND THAT GOPHER, maybe he figured that was his job interview. Anything that will hollow out a log like that should be on the payroll.
Lucky guy.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2009 7:26 AM

A bunch of trained tiki carving gophers...ok, now your on to something...I'm thinking Sea World even?

Nasty little creatures...Come on over...you can have all the gophers you want.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2009 8:07 AM

Gopher-Drum!

BD

does he work for peanuts?

bd

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2009 10:06 AM

*"I can't remember the last time I carved an actual tiki out of a log. I think it was the KU I finished a few days before Oasis last August. Damn! That's forever ago! I hope I still remember what to do... *

Buzzy, just in case you forget what a Tiki looks like, here's one -

... get carvin'!

Yesterday's sunset:

As I continue on with the log prep process, the waste pile is now nearing knee level:

The cleaned log pile is getting larger too:

I addded the two largest ones yesterday.I think I'll keep on cleaning logs until I have about 15-20 ready to go

I also squeezed in some time to do the final adjustments and initial sanding on the fat drum

I still have one spot on the rim to level out and a little sanding where the drum meets the base. Then it's the fun carving part.

The little Cannibal is finally done:

I really like the way this finished up.

On 2009-01-08 21:51, Bowana wrote:
...is it your work, or the work of your gopher toadie?

Funny you should say that because I actually "borrowed" the gopher from your yard. He's going to chew out a moai next...

On 2009-01-09 04:23, Benzart wrote:
FIND THAT GOPHER, Anything that will hollow out a log like that should be on the payroll.

I found him, hired him, and then it was so costly to comply with all the city, state, and federal employer mandates, that I had to go out of business before he even showed up for his first day of work. At least he didn't have a chance to hurt himself and get on disability, but I think he's eligible for extended unemployment benefits now.

On 2009-01-09 07:26, Babalu wrote:
A bunch of trained tiki carving gophers...

We might be the new opening act for those albino tiger guys in Vegas...

On 2009-01-09 08:07, GMAN wrote:
Gopher-Drum!

sad thing is I bet he could get more for his drums than I can mine. :(

On 2009-01-09 09:35, big daddy wrote:
does he work for peanuts?

His upfront wages are low, but he really makes out with his retirment and medical.

On 2009-01-09 10:06, Cammo wrote:

... get carvin'!

I'm workin' on it...

BambooBen: That was me back when I had a lawn...

If I tell my dog to get the "gopher", she runs to the car because she thinks we will "go for" a ride.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-01-10 13:15 ]

Speaking of cannibals....have you ever thought of eating me? Thanks in advance!!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2009 1:49 PM

"Speaking of cannibals....have you ever thought of eating me?"

I'll answer this in advance.

Nope.

"'This is a hybrid ... of bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent and northern California sensemilia,' Buzzy said. 'The amazing stuff about this, is that you can carve 36 tikis on it in the afternoon, then take it inside and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on the stuff.'"

Yesterday's sunset:

Today's:

Santa Anas to continue...

I worked on three different drums today

I finally got the fat drum all cleaned up and ready for the final detail carving

It's all marked and dotted up and ready to go.

It's probably tonight's project

I also cleaned up and evened out the conga drum and rim today:

It's ready for the leg carvings now. They'll be up right after the fat drum is carved

In the early hours of this morning, I put oil on the little drum to finish it up

It's ready for the head. I will probably not do that tonight...

On 2009-01-10 13:33, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Speaking of cannibals....have you ever thought of eating me? Thanks in advance!!

I have often pondered the concept of cannibalism in real general terms, but I have never specifically thought of eating you. Would you like me to start?

On 2009-01-10 13:49, Cammo wrote:
I'll answer this in advance.
Nope.

Who would you like to eat, then?

On 2009-01-10 17:04, RevBambooBen wrote:
"'This is a hybrid ... of bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent and northern California sensemilia,'

I was wondering why my gardener came twice a week, mowed the lawn, houled away the clippings, and never sent me a bill. I guess I should have been tipped off when it grew so high.

The day of the drums beats on...
Buzzy Out!

H

I love that fat drum.

Today's sunset:

These days, it's getting so I cannot tell one sunset from another.

My plan for the day was to trim the hide for the little drum, soak it, and then apply it to the drum. After I cut it and placed it in the tub, I decided to carve a quick tiki to kill some time. I split one of the logs that I cleaned a couple days ago and chopped into it.
Here he is after a little work:

A little more work done and I redid the lines for the face

Here it is now:

It's pretty much done, except for some stuff I'll take care of while sanding

On 2009-01-12 18:24, hiltiki wrote:
I love that fat drum.

Thanks Hiltiki. I did a little work on it last night. All I have left are the six panels on the drum to fill in. Here it is now:

Next, I take care of that rawhide soup in my tub...
Buzzy Out!

B

Beat the Drums Slowly and play the fife lowly and get busy Buzzy, I think you aren't working fast enough. When I can see the floor I know you are goofin off. :lol: Chair Master, Drum Master, OH Yeah, its the MUD thats been Missing! I Knew you've been a Slacker Somewhere! :D :P :o

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 9:01 AM

S

Nice fisherman tripod.

Sunset:

Tiki Stuff:

I put the head on the drum last night.

Nice new slab of cow side:

I haven't really played it yet. Still waiting for it to dry. Sounds good so far.

I still felt like tearing loose today and carved another little tiki, instead of finishing the fat drum.
Here is an early progress shot

Done.
Here it is now:

And while I was at it, I fixed the mouth on this guy:

On 2009-01-14 03:05, Benzart wrote:
OH Yeah, its the MUD thats been Missing! I Knew you've been a Slacker Somewhere! :D :P :o

Funny you should mention that...Last night I finished the drum head a little bit ahead of schedule and still had some work left in me. I decided to finish one of the mugs I have bagged during my new found chunk of time.When I went to find suitable background tv programming, the 2009 Barrett Jackson auto auction coverage was on. The Pope Mobile was for sale. And it went for cheap...I sat there transfixed for the rst of the evening and put off working in the mud. So yes, I was slacking...If I worked harder, I could afford to buy a used PopeMobile.

38 hours of live auction coverage on the speed channel this year. Two days down, four to go...

On 2009-01-14 18:57, seeksurf wrote:
Nice fisherman tripod.

Thanks seeks! He might be a little wobbly without it.

GROG: That's some of your best photoshop work yet! Congrats!

On the block:

Lot 433
1974 Pontiac Trans AM

Sold for: $67,000

Next up:
Lot #434
1969 Chevy Corvette

Buzzy Out!

JT

Buzzy: Chair-man of Frankie's Tiki Room. I Finally got to sit on one.

See ya at The House of Buzz soon.
-Johnny

S

Man jab is making the rounds.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies