Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

JT

Looking SWEEt Buzz!!

"I'll finish the burnin' tonight and do stain test beefore i finish it. I also need to make the fin, but that only takes about ten minutes."

You sound like Norm Abrams, it'll just take ten minutes! The group meeting of easter island heads looks cool, but the board and the details are amazing

B

dang buzzy
i thought i had that surfboard securly under my shirt when i left!

Sunsets:

We've actually had a few hours of sun out here lately

I did some staining on the second board

The bottom and rails are stained now, so it doesn't look like this

Third board is loosely based on a board like this:

Here it is shaped:

It looks squarer than it actually is because of the photo angle. It looks more tapered in real life

Fourth board will be more like this one:

Here it is started:

Fifth is the same outline as the third:

Speaking of the third one, I did the rough sketch for it:

Old Hawaiian board needed a Hawaiian tiki on it

The design will sit up on the nose

Thanks for all the comments and support.
Buzzy Out!

Buzz, I'm intrigued as to how you are cutting these blanks. Did you build a sawmill, or are you just freehanding it with the chainsaw?
Those are palm, correct?

Beautiful boards Buzz! Here's a sunset from Parker AZ this weekend. Speaking of photos, how's the cheesecake coming for Oasis?

Those boards look sssiiiiicccckkkk!!!! Can't wait for the Hawaiian tiki board to turn up. I would love to make a pendant out of that model. Can I :P? Is this for actual surfing or mainly decorative. If the latter, then shallow relief carving the objects would just be the icing on the cake for that bad boy. What are the boards made from.

Buzzy....the boards are great...i hope you will be vending at Oasis,,,,,
will there be boards ?.......
will there be a new ..Mr Carving Village pinup?
its tradition you know.......

T

Awesome boards. So I guess you're burning right over the patterns and then the patterns go bye bye?

Sunset:

I got the tiki burned on to the board

And then stained the rest of it:

In the background, there are some bunnies that I'm babysitting. Poki has no problems with them, but Ringo stayed over here a few `days last week and he barked at them for three straight days. I eventually had to build a wall around them because if he saw them, he'd bark endlessly.

I also finished staining board #2

Here's the fin for it:

Now I'll finish one to keep the white as white as possible, and the other to make the white as brown as possible...

About a million years ago, Jimiyaki and I discussed making a set of durable tunable drums. I told him I'd make a prototype and see how it would work. It took me a while to figure it all out in my head, but I finally got it all figured out. A little geometry and a lot of measuring and the protype is done

Step by step
Decorated the tube with some scrap tapa like material. I uesd scrap just in case it didn't work:

Now that I know it will work, I'll use different/better wrapping. It didn;t turn out bad, but when you look carefully at it you'll notice it's a quilt of tapa pattern scraps.

Next I drilled some holes:

Then added some goat and rope:

The end result: a tunable, durable Drum.

Before and after type shot:

Next step is making set with one this size, a matching larger and smaller ones, with hardware to connect the three. I didn't get the larger size pipe yet because they only sell it in 20' lengths. I didn;t want to invest in 20' of raw materials if it didn;t work. But 20' of pipe sure does make a lot of drums...Poor goats.

On 2010-08-03 12:59, 4WDtiki wrote:
Buzz, I'm intrigued as to how you are cutting these blanks. Did you build a sawmill, or are you just freehanding it with the chainsaw?
Those are palm, correct?

Yes, they are regular mexi-palm. I just cut some parallel lines in a log with the chainsaw and shaped them down to boards from the rectangular slabs. I got six pieces out of one log.

On 2010-08-03 13:32, coconuttzo wrote:
I would love to make a pendant out of that model. Can I :P?
Is this for actual surfing or mainly decorative.
If the latter, then shallow relief carving the objects would just be the icing on the cake for that bad boy. What are the boards made from.

you have my blessing to make a pendant out of that model. In fact, to help you, I'll provide you with my master source that I used on my drawing:

I grabbed a tiki off the shelf, took that b+w picture of it with a couple well placed lights and did a freehand master sketch from the photo. I changed the shape of the eyes and headress to fit the shape of the rails and nose on the board better. for my drawing, I just drew out the left side and then made the right to match.

They're made out of Mexican fan palm. I made my own lumber slabs from a fat log. They're too small for surfing, so they're decorative(Longest one is about 47"). I waited too long after milling these pieces and they were too dry to carve. Originally, the slabs were made because I wanted to do a Maori Pare. i waited too long so I decided to make them into mini surfboards so as not to waste the wood I made.

On 2010-08-03 13:38, closettiki wrote:
Buzzy....the boards are great...i hope you will be vending at Oasis,,,,,
will there be boards ?.......
will there be a new ..Mr Carving Village pinup?
its tradition you know.......

Yes, i will once again grace Tiki oasis with my presence.
Yes, I will be peddling my wares, including surfboards, there again.
and Yes, there will be a pinup, because it's a TikiOasis tradition.

On 2010-08-03 19:58, TheBigT wrote:
Awesome boards. So I guess you're burning right over the patterns and then the patterns go bye bye?

I xerox the original on to ledger sized paper at Office Depot and then use those copies as a stencil. I usually cut out the pieces and trace around them, and then fill in the smaller lines inside the shapes I stencil on. My burner runs pretty hot, so it would probably ignite the paper if I did it that other way.

On 2010-08-03 13:08, MadDogMike wrote:
Speaking of photos, how's the cheesecake coming for Oasis?

I'd have to admit, I'm looking better than ever!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-08-08 21:17 ]

great boards Buzzy..............

sent you a PM

T

Amazing Sketch!!!

H

Buzzy, everything you have posted on this page is great. I love the tapa cloth drum concept. Hope all is well. :)

rabbit shit is excellent Palm Tree food!

make grow 3 times faster.

A

On 2010-08-08 21:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

:D love it!

Sunset:

The weather'e been real nice. Sunny, but not hot. Pretty breezy today...

The next piece of wood I had for board #4 is the "center cut" piece. This might sound good, but it's not meat, so it's actually the worst piece of the log. It has its certain charm and challenges. There isn't much fiber in it, and the filler stuff crumbles when I tried to work it, even by hand. after accidently taking out a couple chunks, I decided to leave it a little rougher than the other three.

Since I did take out a piece whilst sanding it, I turned a stumbling block into a stepping stone and tried to make one of those old style butterfly repairs in it:

The "repair" is basswood with its grain going perpendicular to the palm's grain. If the board someday cracks, I hope that it happens somewhere on that repair.

Next step, tiki head drawing to be transfered to the board for future burning:

I want to make sure the design hits the repair piece. that way, in the future, scholars can speculate when the repair and design were done in relation to the board's date of manufacture.

Now it's mostly burned on:

the board looks a little empty with just the face on it. I think it needs some logos and stuff...

Blurry picture of the whole board for scale:

#5 on the right is ready for a design now. It's a better piece of wood and is shaped and sanded like the first three.

speaking of logos...

Team riders will have this on their boards:

Next to #3

One more coat of oil on #3 and it's done:

On 2010-08-08 21:45, closettiki wrote:
great boards Buzzy..............

thanks Closettiki...........

On 2010-08-09 16:01, tikigodz wrote:
Amazing Sketch!!!

thanks TG! It's all in the drawing...And the fun part about this is that I don;t have to carve it after I draw it. I just sketch it out and BAM! Done!...

On 2010-08-10 18:18, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy, everything you have posted on this page is great. I love the tapa cloth drum concept. Hope all is well. :)

All is well indeed! wait until you see the tapa bongos...

On 2010-08-11 04:07, RevBambooBen wrote:
rabbit shit is excellent Palm Tree food!make grow 3 times faster.

Won't help the trees if the dogs eat it all first...

On 2010-08-11 10:40, amate wrote:
:D love it!

Thanks Amate!

Lunch time!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-08-11 13:51 ]

B

man you keep comming up with the coolest designs!!!

Braddah Buzz..YOU ROCK man!!!! I'm loving those wood burnt Ku's... Very Cool....

those boards are bitchin' buzzy!

T

when do you drop the editorial on burnin' designs?

S

You the man Buzz loving these boards and now the designs.

B

Everything is looking marvelous Buzz Master! I cleared a space on the studio wall for the next rendition of 'Chip'n Males' the 4th season :lol:

It's going to be hard to beat this one :up: :lol:

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-08-13 09:14 ]

B

Gimmee a long whip and I'll try!!! :o

BRAVO SIR! I'd expect nothing less- AND I MEAN IT!
:)
see ya soon, bro!
Andy

Sunset:

If you're coming out here for Tiki Oasis, bring a jacket!

I put some stain on board #4:

It has some finish on it now, but still needs a few more applictaions of it. It's soaking it up like a sponge.

I finally finished this guy:

Board #5 ready for some drawing

This is the other piece of wood from dead center of the log. It's featherlight

On 2010-08-11 18:48, tikigodz wrote:
when do you drop the editorial on burnin' designs?

How about now...

I start by drawing out half a tiki on a master sheet of paper. It's too hard to make a symetrical tiki freehand so I cheat and draw half, and then trace its mirror image
Here's the line drawing of half a tiki face:

I fold the paper in half on the face centerline and use my ghetto light box to trace one side on to the other:

That's a shelf from one of my tiki display cases with a light clamped to my drafting table. It's more comfortable to sit with the glass on my lap to do the tracing. I used to do this step standing up, using the lights and glass doors of my tiki display cases, or during the day, by using my glass sliding door. I found this extra shelf a few days ago and now do the light box work with it.

the final result:

usually I'd go to Offce depot and get a couple copies of it, but it was too late in the evening to do that, but too early to stop working.

So, I used the master for the next step. I usually don;t like to use the master because it's folded and erasered up. It's harder to keep the lines stright with the paper shifting slightly on the fold. the copis are flat and easier to trace perfectly.
I carefully measured the center of the board and taped down the master sketch:

I measure and double measure this step. After it's taped in place, I slip carbon paper under it.

I trace over the design and have this left on the board:

then I burn the lines:

After I burn in all the lines, I add some shading and value to it.
The final result:

I'm going to try and stain it a different color than red this time.

On 2010-08-11 16:34, buzzard wrote:
man you keep comming up with the coolest designs!!!

thanks Bob! Before I invented tiki carving, I invented surfing. Now I'm fusing my two greatest inventions together. It's like discovering chocolate milk all over again!

On 2010-08-11 17:34, Beachbumz wrote:
Braddah Buzz..YOU ROCK man!!!! I'm loving those wood burnt Ku's... Very Cool....

Thanks BB! This woodburning on boards seems to be phase I'm going through...

On 2010-08-11 18:10, tikithomas08 wrote:
those boards are bitchin' buzzy!

too bad they ain't big enough to surf on. Now that'd be BITCHIN'!

On 2010-08-12 18:22, seeksurf wrote:
You the man Buzz loving these boards and now the designs.

thank seeks. drawing tikis is easy. I'll have to get back to some real work real soon and actually carve something.

On 2010-08-13 08:43, Babalu wrote:
It's going to be hard to beat this one :up: :lol:

nearly impossible, I'd say...

On 2010-08-13 08:58, Benzart wrote:
Gimmee a long whip and I'll try!!! :o

That's what she said!

see ya soon, bro!
Andy

you gonna stop by this week? I'd hate to miss you at oasis for a second year in a row.

Anyone else coming out to Oasis want to see how the other half live, just PM me for a special Tiki Oasis House of Buzz tour appointment.
Buzzy Out!

LUV the Marq, Buzz. You say you finally finished it, how was it not finished, I thought I remember seeing it done a while back.
One more thing, where in the HELL can you still buy carbon paper?!? I'm guessing in one of the many Antique stores on Newport Ave.

B

Nice shading job Buzz.

N

Excellent - thanks for the tracing tip

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 15, 2010 8:08 PM

Aaack! Red Shorts.....again!

T

Thanks Brother!

Killer Marq Buzzy!!!! wow

Sunsets:

warm, getting warmer...

Board #5 was done up in some brown stain. Now it's ready for some finishing oil

I'm ok with the board being brown, even though it rides slower than a red board

My Hawaiian board quiver

It looks nice, but I need one more to balance things out...

Just so happens I had one more log slab shaped and ready to go. I did a larger full body design. I did the previously demonstarted draw half of it and light box trace/carbon paper it transfer techinque. After doing all that set up work, I got it burned to here last night:

Some lines, some shading, and it's stain time.

that's the last piece of lumber I had for boards. I'm kind of sad that I don't have any more ready to go. these are starting to get fun to do.

On 2010-08-15 15:39, 4WDtiki wrote:
LUV the Marq, Buzz. You say you finally finished it, how was it not finished, I thought I remember seeing it done a while back.

It was only sanded. I never stained or sealed it. It was just sitting there in the living room waiting forever for me to finally get to it. I did all that finishing stuff last week. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the tatoos are stained a different color than the rest of it. It's that extra step that kept me from actually ever getting it done.

On 2010-08-15 16:40, Benzart wrote:
Nice shading job Buzz.

thanks Benz, but I owe it all to my magic burner, however. I just touch it to the wood and the burner does all the work for me.

On 2010-08-15 19:56, nomolos wrote:
Excellent - thanks for the tracing tip

On 2010-08-15 21:26, tikigodz wrote:
Thanks Brother!

Quite welcome guys.

On 2010-08-15 20:08, GMAN wrote:
Aaack! Red Shorts.....again!

Sun's out, shorts go on...

On 2010-08-15 22:27, Tahitiki wrote:
Killer Marq Buzzy!!!! wow

Thanks TH. It all came together for that guy.

Too bad that moment has`passed...
Buzzy Out!

On 2010-08-17 11:46, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
These boards are amazing!!!! It makes me want to take up surfing in Pennsylvania

Then again maybe I am not too sure

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-08-13 09:14 ]

close to sunset:

closer:

When I last posted, tiki mini board #6 was almost all lined out, like this:

After connecting the last couple of dots, I started to do the shading. Here's the first stage:

It looks like an in progress tattoo...

moving down and defining the torso and arms:

Legs and a little headress done:

Closer up view of it so far:

Now the headress done:

Boards #6,#3, #5, #4, #2, #1

On 2010-08-17 12:28, Grand Poobah wrote:
Then again maybe I am not too sure

It's like Cow-UGHHH!-bung-UGHHHH! Right? :wink:

Surf's Up!
Buzzy Out!

Havent looked in on you in a while, Buzz. Stuff looks good. How are you?

SWEET BUZZY!! I LIKE ~ I LIKE!!

Buzz, would this be your dream or your nightmare?! 80 acres of Mexican Fan Palms growing near my house

A couple sunsets to warm up with:

A few finished projects from the last week before Oasis:

I did another tapa drum with a couple refinements/changes from the first one:

All the problems with these drums now all relate to the lashing. As much as I do not want to use nylon rope, it looks like it will be the only usable cord. I just hate the manufactured shiny look of it... :(

All the surfboards that were almost finished got finished. I like the way the brown ones turned out.

Too much glare, but you can get the idea...

The other two Hawaiian ones:

this was a middle section of the log and has all kinds of crazy fibers running through it

I was able to keep the second board whiter by using different finish on it:

Here are the fins for the two Maori boards

I also put a head on the Pahu drum.

But, I'm thinking I'm going to rework it to make it fixed head drum, that looks like a lashed drum. In the future when I'm asked if my fixed head drums can be tuned, I'm just going to say that "My fixed head drums sound so good, you don't need to tune them. Shitty sounding drums need the option of sounding better, which is why some drum need tuners. My drums sound as good as they get, and tuning them is unecessary..."

And now on to my Post Tiki Oasis 10 post:

It all started with the photo shoot for the traditional Oasis pinup picture. I got ready by putting a pile of junk on the back deck:

I had Ringo stand in to get the exposures right:

His new haircut looks sharp!

A couple boards and we're getting close:

now that will do!

I wanted something more natural, and less posed, this year. Kind of like a candid snapshot of a moment in my typical day. Since I wanted to feature my newly made surfboards in the shot, I thought a surf themed action pose would be appropriate. So, I just did what I do belfore I go surf, and lay there and watch the waves while I wax up my board:

That was the limited edition numbered 8x10 version

I also had 5 x 7's of these other two poses, because in years past, the demand for these always exceeds my supply:

To get one of those, you had to steal one that was hung up somewhere on the hotel grounds.

We also did an all nude pose, but decided not to use it.If you look real close, you can see that the board wasn't big enough to cover all that it needed.:

If you really looked you're a dirty perv!

Now on to the event itself...

One of my tikis in the lobby welcomed all the attendees:

I skipped friday night this year, so it all started on Saturday morning with vending. A`couple years ago, I split a booth with another vendor and it worked out pretty well. I ahd enough space, and the reduced cost was helpful. As nice a a cheaper vending spot is, it's just not cheap enough. To help defray the high costs associated with Oasis, for the last couple years, I have just showed up and pirate vended to help reduce my. The first year I did it, I told the guys in the booth next to me that this year, otto divided up the spot into two spots, and this spot was now mine. when Otto came by, I told him I was splitting the booth with "those guys" again. After repeating the process the second year, they just stopped asking me and assume I'm a legitimate vendor. If you're reading this, pleas don't rat me out. If I can't vend at Oasis next year, I'll have to rent a room next door to Tiki Caliente next year at the Caliente tropics and vend out of my room. Hopefully enough people will wander by from the event next door to look at the old tikis that I can make some $$$$.
Anyway, here's my vending area:

I didn;t have any customers because my stuff is either crappy, overpriced, or both.

If I get rid of all this old crap, I can replace it with different new crap:

At least I have some room in my house now!

I pretty much never left my chair the whole event because I was paranoid that I was goung to be ripped off.

But, there was other stuff going on....

A few years ago it was the "carving village." It kept the name the last couple of years, but it went from the carving village to the carving family. Now it's just "That guy carving over there on the lawn in front of that suite?"

It's nice to see my work here and there:

I never even went inside the pool fence this year to see this:

I actually didn't notice the pool this year because it was hidden behind a bunch of sponsor's banners. I thought it was Petco park.

Sunday was my birthday so my mom dropped by for the party:

And other fun stuff happened...

Good friends stopped by to visit throughout the day:

Woohoo and soccertiki commented on how quiet we were when we left the Real World Tiki Party House in the morning a couple months ago. What they didn;t know was we were quiet because we were trying to sneak out before we settled the tab with them. I can't believe they still talk to me after sticking them with the tab. They really are the nicest people! I love you guys, Soccertiki and Woohooo! When I win the lottery, I'm going to carve Soccertiki a new soccer tiki for free just to show him my appreciation. Then I'm going to produce tv show where we all live in a big house together....

Max dropped by for a quick Uke set:

Bosko came over to ask Bullet if he had ever noticed that all the cool guys have names that start with a "B"

After that, they sat there and compiled a list of cool guys with names that start with "B".

And as always, my best friends and fans dropped by to get pictures

Queen K looked at her picture and felt the poses were a little "gay" this year.

Until I came around, the gay community was an untapped pool of potential tiki customers. Now that I've lured them in, they're my new target audience. As`soon as the mariage thing becomes legal here in California, I'm going to do gay luau themed weddings. All the rental tikis will be fertility gods and have giant dongs! and I'll be rich! I love gay people, and the money they'll spend on tiki themed weddings!

I can't remember what this guy's name is, but every time he comes up to me at an event, all he talks about is mugs. My nickname for him is "That boring guy who talks about mugs all the time."

Anyway, he buys stuff from me so I act like he's my bro and I give him a picture every year.

Maddog came out from the desert on his lunchbreak saturday to make sure he got a picture before I ran out.

Mike only showed up on Sunday to volunteer this year. he didn't actually do anything at Oasis except try to get scammed out of free passes at the volunteer table all day. Some people go to Oasis to get drunk; Mike goes to volunteer.

I caught this guy going through the line twice to get another picture. He changed his shirt and wore glasses, but I recognized his voice:

He was probably going to rush back to his hotel room and post the picture up for sale on ebay. Opportunist!

I think Moss has the largest collection of my work:

He also has`a lot of my carvings.

A couple years ago, I tricked Josh into buying one of my carvings by telling him that he could only have a picture if he bought a a piece of my work.( because my pictures are for my clients/customers only). He wanted one so bad, that he bought a drum right away to get his picture. Every year since then, he comes back and buys a piece of my work and asks if he can have a picture. this year was no exception. Since we do the same thing year after year, it has become a tradition, and I signed his photo this year: "A` tiki tradition!":

Here's Andy, Pop of Tiki Joe, and a tiki musician with his own band that has few albums. Even though my mom has his Xmas album and likes it, Andy still looks sad.

Andy also wrote an article about me in a magazine about the island lifestyle. The artcle was well written, but everything I said in it was a lie. Sometimes I like to exagerate details a bit to make things sound more interesting than they actually are. It's not illegal unless I do it in court, and even then, the truth is a hard fact to prove. Andy gave me his new album for my birthday, and aftre he did, he said if I don't stop making fun of him for being pale, he'll tell people my real name. If he knows my real name, then that means he wrote me a check at some point and I don;t care what he calls or says about me, as long as his check clears, we're cool. I can just lie or deny my way out of anything he says about me after that.

With the addition of this year's series, wendy now has more pictures of me than mugs by Gecko.

When I come stay in the guest room, I'll feel at home because that room and my bedroom have the same posters on the wall.

People come to Oasis and have a good time while engaging in a wide variety of activities. for some, the highlight is the 40 gallon rum volcano fireball in the Martin seminar. Others enjoy the liquor, music, dancers, and vendors. For these lovely ladies, it's the "Buzzy Meet and Greet autograph session:

I told them that I remembered them from last year, and they said they'll remember me for a lifetime.

Closettiki has a few of these now:

You'll never guess what she said when I gave her the autographed picture:

Yes, it was WOOOHOOOO!

Scott is making the first movie I'm featured in that will not have a XXX rating!

Buzzy The Movie: Screenplay by Kevin Smith, based on the Book of Buzzy by Sven Kirsten, coming soon to a DVD on a vending table at a tiki event near you!

This guy came up to me and told me he was a tiki carver too:

Anyone out there know his name? I forgot it and I don;t want to act like I don;t know him next time I see him. If you know him, PM me his name. Thanks.

Clysdalle always says if he can't have the real thing...

I wish I could give Big Toe something else besides my picture. I feel bad for him because he has to see Kinny at work:

Dave's like a pitbull of passion for my pinup!

Tear it up dave! Tear it up!

Jentiki made a quick appearance to her picture and: POOOF!

Vanished again!

Louie and I have this real cute saying that we came up with at Tiki Caliente. We face each other, yell out "I'm Buzzy/Louie and I put the P in the Ool." then we pee in the pool next to the guy who was spraying pool water into everyone's drink, and cap it all off with a good laugh and a high five.

we did the same thing at the oasis pool until hey kicked us out of the pool for some kind of a "mermaid" show.

If you think she's bad online, you should meet her in person:

Liz came by the House of Buzz after Oasis with MP. For some reason, my dog didn't like MP and kept barking and growling at him. Me and Bullet kept trying to get her to attack Liz instead.

TikiVato's brother Dave is a recent convert:

As`you can see, he chose the right path.

Babalu was on the list of cool guys whose names start with a "B."

On the list, Babalu has a subline that includes the work of Bowana. It was easier to find Bowana on the list that way because everyone thinks he's Babalu anyway.

Speaking of Babalu, TikiKitty thinks that I'm Babalu:

She introduced herself to me at Tiki caliente and said she really liked my work. After talking for a few more minutes with her, I realized that she thought I was Babalu. She said she really liked the mug I made with squid, the drum one, and that she bought one. I never have people tell me they like my work like that, so I was all caught up in the moment, and I kept on pretending that I was babalu. I even took it so far, that I let her order two custom mugs from me, that I would deliver to her at Oasis. I even took the money up front for them, planning on giving it to Babalu when I got home. To make a long story short, I spent the money at the swap meet on tiki crap, never told babalu about it, and when she found me at Oasis and asked me if I had her mugs, I told her that I was too busy to finish them because I was working on all the mugs had for sale in my booth. I autographed her picture of me "from Babalu" and told her my hippie friend Rick was running my booth in the indoor vending area and go get herself a free mug for being so nice while waiting for her custom mugs. She declined the free mug, said the picture was enough, and that she was looking forward to receiving her Babalu custom mugs soon...

this picture on the wall would be a reason for me to stop by the Double Down next time I;m in town.

Jabtiki since birth lives about two miles away from me and I only see him at Oasis every year:

My photo signing every year brings them out of the woodwork

Every year I a new fan or two just because of my pictures. On of thi year's additions to the Buzzy Loyalists:

The Buzzy Loyalists have a saying: Blood in, Blood out!

I gave Dawn something to shout about:

now she knows what a real tan line looks like. They don;t have those where she's from.

Mike and melissa when they were not babysitting Billy the Crud:

For some reason, I see GROG more times a year than I see my brother:

He brought her down just to meet me:

Like I told her: Now your life is complete!

More Buzzy Loyalists: KikkiVonTiki and JenSkinnydog say membership has its privledges!

What do you call a man with NONAME?

My arms look buff in that picture.

After that, I packed up what I didn't sell and came home.

Next year the theme of Oasis is Old Mexico. I hope that means we can litter!
Buzzy out!

Happy late Bday Buz. I dig all your new work and all your pics with the people. Have you thought about doing a Duke Kahanamoku Board?

You saved mine right?

L

Thanks again for letting us stop in and crash the bromance going on. The puppy only attacked MP because he had jerky in his pockets--MP travels with snacks for low blood sugar.

Happy Belated Bday..now I see why you and the Bullet were celebrating with tacos. Such a cute couple you guys make! Thanks for the photo---I think MP jacked it. What can I say..his man crush is never ending.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think I peed myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

Looks AGAIN, like everyone got a poster but me :( . Looks like you have had a great time at Osais, love your photos. Love your stuff.

HOK

Happy B-lated B-day B-zzy!

B

On 2010-08-26 16:56, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Babalu was on the list of cool guys whose names start with a "B."
On the list, Babalu has a subline that includes the work of Bowana. It was easier to find Bowana on the list that way because everyone thinks he's Babalu anyway.

Howdy Buzzy! Babalu here! Nice to see you at Oasis. Bowana wanted me to tell you that he's sad that there is no picture of him holding your autographed picture for the hall of fame..oh wait, I'm Bowana... Howdy Buzzy! I didn't know it was your birthday when I saw you on Sunday. What better place to celebrate than at Tiki Oasis! Babalu got one of your autographed pictures for me because I was not able to get away from my table in Artist's Alley...oh wait...I just remembered that I am Babalu after all...anyways, Bowana wanted me to tell you that he really liked what you wrote on the picture for him...and....wait...who am I again? Oh well...

Yer pal,

Babawana

A couple sunsets:

Happy New Year!

I say Happy New Year because my calendar resets each year after Tiki Oasis. The day after Oasis is my New Year's Day. Each year, I use this time to reflect on my last year's efforts and reset for a new year's worth of adventures. Last year was one of my least productive and frustrating years so far, so I've been kind of looking forward to refocusing myself this new year. Last year started with Kiva dying and my car accident that took me out for 4 months, and ended in late July with a strained ab muscle that took me out for another month or so. Add more or less the two months off in May and June due to my back acting up and it wasn't much of year left for working.
So, I guess it can't get any worse, and I've survived it and am rested and ready to start working again. I started out last week by fixing up my work area. FEMA still hasn't sent me my aid from when my tarp ripped and my pop-up lost two legs in the windstroms of '09, so I took matters into my own hands and fixed up my work environment.

My reconfiguration started with an A frame 10 x 10' setup. I got the pole set up back in July without the tarp and was going to get the tarp during the next heat wave. the next heat wave never came so I did it to get ready for the New Year.
Here it is a few days ago:

I can extend it out to 10 x 15 or 10 x 20. 10 x 10' seems to fit perfect.I split my old piece of thatch and hung it on the ends. I'll get a new single piece to cover the whole thing to hide the whiteness of the tarp later this year.

My yard kind of faces southwest, so the sun shines in from the side during the afternoon. I put this decorated wall up to block it:

Since the structure was the nicest and most sturdy I've ever had, I went the extra mile and installed the sound system for maximum effect:

Here's the view from my back door as I step out into my work area:

I covered all the poles with pieces of reed fencing to give it that natural and "tikified" look

During my yearly reflections, I realized what one of of my major problems with productivity this year was: I never really had a large carve-ready stockpile of logs at any time. So, the solution to this work impediment seemed to get a large stack of logs ready to go, asap. Seemed easy enough...

I started working out this problem last Monday, and gave myself a quota of doing thirty carve ready logs before I started back to carving regularly again. I went out first thing that Monday morning ready to tackle a big pile of logs. I grabbed the trusty Ryobi planer and took to the first log. Something was immediately amiss. I hit the Ryobi trigger and the blade slowly got up to speed, rather than immediately. As soon as I touched it to the log, the blade stopped and slowly got back up to speed after taking it from the log. It wasn't a motor problem, so I checked the belt. Sure enough, it had stretched a bit and was no longer able to turn the blades when met with resistence. I ordered a new belt, and sharpened up the draw knife. I did the initial stripping with the drawknife, and when the new belt arrived on Thursday, I finished cleaning what I had started with the hand knife. On Friday morning, I had these 17 logs all done:

Front row is waist to chest high, with the back shoulder to head high+
I did three more larger ones yesterday to bring my total to 20. Ten more to go...

In other news, Poki got a new ball:

And she likes the rabbits so much, she spends the weekends with them now:

She says it's a little crowded, but the company and food is good, and it's refreshing to get away once in a while.

On 2010-08-26 18:51, drasticwagon wrote:
Have you thought about doing a Duke Kahanamoku Board?

The seed has just been planted...

On 2010-08-26 19:04, RevBambooBen wrote:
You saved mine right?

Of course! A low numbered one too...

On 2010-08-26 19:22, leleliz wrote:
Thanks for the photo---I think MP jacked it. What can I say..his man crush is never ending.

That's too bad for you. Congats MP!

On 2010-08-27 21:22, MadDogMike wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I think I peed myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what she said!

On 2010-08-28 03:42, Benzart wrote:
Looks AGAIN, like everyone got a poster but me :( .

I just might have another low numbered limited edition one lying around here somewhere...

On 2010-08-28 04:38, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Happy B-lated B-day B-zzy!

thanks Freddie!

On 2010-08-28 09:56, Bowana wrote:

and....wait...who am I again? Oh well...

Yer pal,

Babawana

Whatever it may be
that you call yourself:
You always have been,
and always will be,
TikiDav-to me!

My favorite poet of all time was Andrew Dice Clay. Hickory, Dickory, Dock!...
Buzzy Out!

happy new year BUZZY. nice shop and great pile of logs you got going there........your going to burn threw those quicker than anything im sure......love seeing your dog in the rabbit cage. brings back memories when my dogs got in and killed all my chickens...sad times.. ha ha

hurry up and get to work buddy so i can see how a professional gets stuff done........im so slow!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies