Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

great moai man....i haven't done that style yet. i think im going to try that too. good work

T

MOAIS up!!!

P

Having more fun with the moai's

#4 & #5

Really hoping to get a few pieces done this weekend. Need to sell some stuff!

P

Moai #6

And it looks like hurricane Igor is going to give us some waves this weekend, so I get to go surfing on my birthday. Stoked on that.

On 2010-09-14 07:58, pjc5150 wrote:
it looks like hurricane Igor is going to give us some waves this weekend, so I get to go surfing on my birthday. Stoked on that.

Happy B-Day! I'm still sore from the last hurricane swell and can't wait to tear into some more!!

N

Great Moais - Man you work fast

T

very clean!

P

Thanks for the props guys. Got a new camera so I don't have to keep posting sucky pics from my phone.

Here's a Lono I busted out last night for a friend. Need a little more detail work but coming out good so far.

M

that's pretty awesome! one night? that's a record in my book! we should hang out-- I'm over here in St. Pete.

P

^ just sent you a pm ^

P

Moai for a charity auction.

Just under 5 ft tall.

P

Another charity piece. The people at the "hooked on hope" charity fishing tournament actually sought me out and requested one of my pieces. I'm going to try to give them several. I am honored that they found me and asked me to be a part of their event.

This is another surfboard holder.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-10-06 09:20 ]

P

The 2 surfboard stands I made for the breast cancer auction:

And these are the rest of the charity tikis that will be auctioned off tonight.

D

dang brother! you've got some really great tiki's...keep up the good work...looking forward to more from ya!

P

thanx bro. Looks like the Florida contingent is growing.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-10-12 08:26 ]

M

Hey PJC! Good Karma on ya man. That is the works of a good soul.

Florida contingent is growing indeed.

Mahalo

P

well, surprisingly enough all of the stuff I donated to the breast cancer auction actually sold and went out the door.

At first I thought it was just a crowd of older folks looking to buy $100 gift certificates for 50 bucks, so I wasn't too sure they'd be interested in my stuff. Pleasantly surprised.

Here's the surfboard tikis (with surfboards) and the Moai.

Mahalo friends!

TK

need a surf board holder maybe 2. pm sent.

Nice work! I am over in Largo/ St. Petersburg myself. Looks like we've got quite a few good carvers around this area. I have only been doing carving for about a year and a half myself. I know a couple other local carvers and was thinking it would be cool to set up a carving outing where everybody could meet and carve and just talk tiki. If you are interested let me know. Later, Tatumantiki

P

Yeah bro. I'm down.

We should all meet up one day & have a little carve sesh.

Keep me in the loop.

Y

Great stuff, love the surfboard Tiki's

I don't get how fast you work, I'm always going on for days, weeks, months & sometimes years

Keep up the work & speed!

P

Thanks man.

I can bust out a decent piece in a few hours if I'm not distracted.

That big Moai took a little over an hour.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-10-12 14:05 ]

M

An acquaintance of mine, happens to throw down some mean chops!(Carving lessons from one of the masters)

We'll have to wait and see if Mr. Davis catches this.

Mahalo

P

Another tiki for charity.

This one, along with the 5 ft Moai are going to the Northside Auxiliary Auction for kids.

Stoked on this piece. I finally feel like I'm making something worthy of the company I keep here.

Mahalo!

M

Very nice carving! You are gaining momentum. Keep em coming.

P

Burned it!

P

howdy folks, busted out a few over the weekend...

and coached the newest member of my tiki army, Amber, through her first piece on Monday.

She is VERY stoked. In fact, she hasn't stopped texting me asking when we can get together to start on her 2nd piece. I may have created a monster....but she's a fairly hot monster...so it's all good. :wink:

Very proud of her and her first effort.

Hot chicks and Power Tools - OOOOOOOoooooooo!

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 3:38 PM

Aloha! For shame!

Nice Tiki!

B

Excellent First carve and a Moai to boot..

P

Busted out another surfboard stand for my good friend Steve @ Liquid Soul Surfboards.

http://www.liquidsoulsurfco.com/

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-11-08 10:55 ]

T

Way to go Amber. Woohoo! You're doing ok too I guess pjc. :lol:

Cool! on those surfboard stands! Are they sellin'? or just showin'?
Ya gotta get your girl Amber her own own thread here on TC!

P

Well, actually I have sold a few of the surfboard tikis & gave a few to a charity auction.

I need to make a few more.

Here it is with Steve at his surf shop.

P

a quicky I busted out at the "faces of courage" camp, which is essentially a little camp they have once a year for kids with cancer and blood disorders. They were neat kids, and I'm honored that they allowed me to spend the weekend volunteering and helping out.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-12-07 11:05 ]

P

a little ku I'm working on....

P

Burned the little ku, and made another surfboard tiki for the girl who works for my atty who handled all my tickets (barter!).

P

Big, fat, heavy tiki!

Made this one Saturday.

P

I am so excited I may have just peed a little.

Ruh roh! It's a whole new world now, trust me!

P

Well, here's the second tiki I've made with my new chisels. I made one sitting outside of the pub where I hang out, and some dude walked up and offered me cash for it, so it was gone before I could get a pic. Oh well!

I really dig the flexcuts.

P

My first experiment with stain. Pretty stoked on how it turned out. I think I'll do this more often.

very nice. I bet it felt awesome that some guy just walked up randomly and offered to buy your work

[ Edited by: Grand Poobah 2011-02-13 15:00 ]

4wd and 5150 are the chisels really that good? I don't have a set. I am leery of investing as I worry about trying to keep them sharpened

P

^ dude, yeah. ^

They're awesome. Get some.

Seriously worth the money. They go through palm like a hot knife through butter.

T

Great new tiki. Nice stain work. The flexcraft set, is that the sculptor's set?

P

Not sure exactly what the set is called.

All I know is that I no longer feel like I'm working with a fractured tool set.

I feel like just buying these chisels has stepped my game up considerably.

Yeah, that 4 piece set is the sculptor's set. Poobah, you will need to learn to sharpen them if you get them, but any chisel will need to be sharpened!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies