Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

That cool carving you did in the trunk of the palm at the german developers place intrigues me. What sort of palm is that carved from? It looks like it was soft and buttery to carve!

Nice job and great placement!

P

they're coconut palm.

and yes, they carve nicely!

P

Got a few things going yesterday. Finished the hands on the tiki that's been sitting on my front porch for a year. My buddy Cheeta is going to do some detail painting on it.

Cut this Moai...

and then started this angry little torch holder...

Hopefully today will be equally productive.

P

so I finished the last piece at the New Pass Grill. I call it "inshore slam", because he's got a big snook, and a trout & a redfish on the stringer. The fishing dudes like it.

and I'm also pretty much done cutting the angry torch holder.

Looks like the east coast should have some good waves tomorrow, so I'm heading out there early & gotta get some stuff done today.

You excel at relief carving.
Who'd a thunk it ?
Looks great.

N

both look great! How tall is that one with the fish?

oh and where you gona surf?

P

Thx guys.

And Nixxy, probably Cocoa Bch early in the am. You working tomorrow?

Here's this what I started hackin' on this morning....

very cool keep up the good work

P

Thank you Mr Thorn!

So, Benz showed me how to use the #1 skew chisel when I visited there a while back, but it really wasn't until today that I really came to know it. So several "doors" opened for me today. Funny how sometimes you learn a new tool & then wonder how you were functioning without it....

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-22 14:31 ]

N

nice bro! def adding more detail by the day...its really cool to see the progression in each piece

P

Well, this piece is a bit crumbly & stringy, but I've come too far to turn back now.

Either way having lots of fun getting to know the skew a little better.

P

done cutting this one...

M

Well done my friend. I dig the Moai Too!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

Thanks Andy.

Got this one started this afternoon.

Commission piece for a local dentist...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-26 16:02 ]

P

been busting out a few power tool quickies to sell to the bars and stuff.

T

On 2011-11-20 04:59, pjc5150 wrote:

Dude, this is killer!

T

On 2011-11-27 10:48, pjc5150 wrote:
been busting out a few power tool quickies to sell to the bars and stuff.

Power tool quickie, huh? I like, I like.

M

Ha! The Irony of a Dentist ordering a Tiki in Florida...(Well I thought it was funny anyways) Awesome work Jeff!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

thanks guys. these are stained & done. just a few quickies to make some cash in between projects.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-28 09:47 ]

P

ok, enough whoring....

...time to make some art. I have brought "big nasty" (the nickname I gave this log after it literally gave me a splinter or a sandspur every time I touched it) back to Melanie's (remember the nice Irish girl from Ohio I mentioned a month ago? Well, we're practically living together. She's awesome & I have a feeling we may be together awhile).

Anyhoo, I have big plans for this piece. I haven't been pushing myself as hard as I should lately and that is super lame. I need to make something really good to make myself feel like I'm progressing. This is the piece with which I plan to make myself feel better.

Kanaloa on top, "angry ocean" themed base rough carved, and then painted by my buddy cheeta, complete with sinking ships and skeletons laying on the bottom. A really involved piece with a story and a lot of depth.

Oh yeah, the piece of driftwood behind it is going to be an octopus.

Cool stuff! Looking forward to the octopuss!

P

and Mr. Octopus begins to emerge...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-11-30 15:47 ]

M

Dude! That Octo is sick!

Cool find for canvas!

Glad you found an Irish Gal. They are keepers!

Keep em coming man.

Mahalo

McTiki

Oh man, that is AWESOME! Bravo Bravo!!!

N
NIxxon posted on Thu, Dec 1, 2011 6:19 AM

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!! That is going to be one cool octopus.

Very Nice!!

P

I'd rather be,

under the sea,

in an octopus's garden,

in the shade...

P

...and the work continues.

this will be a 40 inch Kanaloa on a 32 inch base. the base will have an "angry ocean" themed scene rough drawn by my buddy Cheeta, carved out a bit by me, and then painted by him. I have really high hopes for this one.

actually I think this is one of my better draw-outs, except where I tried to draw what his stuff would look like on the base! gawd...

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Dec 1, 2011 3:29 PM

Like the sea food your dishing up with that Octopus. cool!!

P

thanks bro!

started on the headdress...

Nice work on the driftwood occy and judge'n by your pooches shadow he or she would'nt mind some calamari
action as well.Cheers Watango

Holy moly! I gotta say that driftwood octopus is the beez kneez. VERY creative and VERY well done. Is this holding a prized place in your tiki lounge, or is it up for sale???

Great eye on that driftwood! Looks like it was destined to become the perfect octopus carve!

P

this was a commission piece actually. I was doing a tiki project & this guy rolled up with a piece of driftwood and asked me to "do something with it". So this is what I did. This is my first driftwood piece, but I'm stoked on it & I'm going to get some more to work with...

and thanks for all the compliments guys. I appreciate it.

So I'm off to volunteer at a little charity camp this weekend for kids with cancer & blood disorders. I'll probably do a demo. Did it last year, and it's an exhausting weekend, but a good cause. I'll be thinking about the kanaloa all weekend. I'm really excited about that one.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

daaaaaaaaaaaamn i like that octopuss....good score on that one!

sorry i wasnt able to come by annamaria to see ya carve. my schedule got screwed up by my divorce ha ha ha ha ha.......maybe i will catch ya on your next project.

B

On 2011-12-01 19:29, pjc5150 wrote:
thanks bro!

started on the headdress...

COOL Looking Lono!

P

Thanks Benz. Looking forward to spending a little time with you (and maybe Will?) here soon. I've been wanting to make the trip, but I suddenly have a new girlfriend, I'm trying to keep things going here, blah blah blah. But I need to make some time & get over there. So much new stuff I want to ask about, I've been making a list in my little notebook. Planning on bringing a notebook this time. :wink:

So anyway, here's a 60's Western Flyer tank bike for which I traded a small Moai over the weekend. Will be a neat little bar hopper when it's done, "all blinged up with big bars" (that seems to be my style of building bikes). Seems like I've been so busy with tiki stuff that my pile of junky old bikes is getting bigger.

And I need to go deliver the Octopus to it's new owner, Aaron, later. He's a very cool guy and he's super stoked on it. I have to admit, the octopus opened my eyes a little to the possibilities of working with driftwood & doing fish-themed stuff on it. I've had more inquiries about it than any other piece I've ever done, and it wasn't really all that difficult. I'll always be a tiki guy at heart, but the truth it that the fish stuff seems to have a broader appeal, so sometimes when I need to pay bills I find myself making fish stuff. So, I'll be scouring the area for more driftwood this week, and I'm going to do a tarpon out of cedar.

But today I'm going to continue working on the kanaloa & hopefully finish the headdress and start on the face. I am seriously turning it up this week and getting after it. I should have some pics to post later.

P

ok...a little progress on the headdress....

That Lono is gonna be sweet! It's always fun checking your thread to see what your up to, but it does make me
A bit jealous. Keep it going, never stop. 8)

P

well, the gulf was quite kind to us on thursday, serving up some nice shoulder high glass with a few bigger sets rolling in here & there...

Shot these from the parking lot of the Beachhouse about an hour or so before I paddled out (I was waiting for the offshores to lay down a bit). I got a great late morning / early afternoon session & got some nice little tubes.

Now back to work!

P

ok, I did a little rough draw on the cedar tarpon.

This is a commissioned piece for my friend Liz on Davis Island. She's been very supportive of my whole tiki deal so I want to make sure she gets some nice stuff. Essentially the pieces I'm doing for her are Christmas gifts for her family members.

A
amate posted on Sat, Dec 10, 2011 8:12 AM

Lono is looking good and that octopus is WAY cool. Can wait to see the tarpon.

P

thanks brother...

so, I'm GETTIN' R DONE today...

I'm all over it.

Roughed out the outline of the cedar tarpon with a lancelot.

And roughed out the body on the other one I've been working on. Just trying to get some of the big chunks outa there so I can start hacking it out. Gotta finish some little moai torch deals here too.

T

On 2011-12-10 09:46, pjc5150 wrote:
Roughed out the outline of the cedar tarpon with a lancelot.

Damn, all your latest stuff is looking great pjc! Yeah I've been thinking about getting one of those lancelots to help rough out my carvings. I need to just go ahead and order it.

Nice surf!
I use an Arbortech on my angle grinder...Love it!
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001846/2921/Arbortech-Industrial-Pro-Kit.aspx

P

hmmm, interesting....

so, I'm up early & getting stuff done today!

doing a little chiseling on the angry little lono....

Gnarly !

P

thanks Will.

...and the cedar tarpon begins to take on a tarpon-like appearance!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies