Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

surf soul tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2,206 replies

You're making it look easy!

H

That's really nice. Great job. I like the dark and light contrast.

P

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

The Big Tahitian is done!!!

that is frigging beautiful work..........NIIIIICE!. how many hours total ya think?

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2012 6:37 PM

Jeff. You rocked this place!

Quality work !

Mahalo

McTiki

Great job jeff, really like the dark stain for it too!!

Top Notch!!! What a behemoth!

P

thanks guys. very stoked on this one for sure.

to answer a few questions:

Capt. Jack, I did the recessed areas with a torch and / or black outdoor spray paint.

Will, Monday or Tuesday I'm gonna pitch them on doing some cement-anchored outdoor pieces out of cypress around the cafe & pool area. And next time I come down there we need to have a little "door pull 101". I'd love to do some tiki door pulls for them, but I've never done anything like that & obviously that kind of severe duty requires a serious piece of lumber. White Pine maybe?

Chimp, I'm not sure on the hours. Over the last 2 weeks I've been kinda chippin' away at it 4 or 5 hours a day, skipping a day here and there. You know, it's been one of those gigs where I'm meeting so many potential customers & whatever, and I've actually enjoyed being there, so I haven't been in a huge hurry to get it done, as much as I've just been focused on doing something really good.

And basically I slathered just under a gallon (took about 7 or 8 coats) of my favorite stain (Minwax "golden pecan") on it to get it that color.

You know, before this whole Tahitian gig I was never a huge fan of the Marquesian genre, but that has all changed with these two pieces....especially the second one. I can see myself doing a lot more in this style.

Thanks again for the props guys. I really, really appreciate it.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-03-04 02:54 ]

That's beautiful work. Seeing art that good first thing in the morning makes the whole day go better. Thanks for sharing the project.

On 2012-03-04 02:41, pjc5150 wrote:
You know, before this whole Tahitian gig I was never a huge fan of the Marquesian genre, but that has all changed with these two pieces....especially the second one. I can see myself doing a lot more in this style.

Sounds like you should try some others.

N
NIxxon posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2012 2:34 PM

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff! You have certainly raised the bar with this one. Excellent work. Absolutely love it and I can only imagine how happy the new owners are. Fine work my friend. I would definitely like to see more of the traditional works from you seeing as how good this one turned out. Carve on brother!

P

thanks for all the props guys. the Big Tahitian definitely one of my best.

So I felt like making some simple stuff, so I have declared today "happy tiki Sunday", because I am making happy tikis today.

A little hibiscus-holding happy tiki for a friend's sister, and "big retro"...this one is basically a newer version of one of my early pieces...nothing says "I came to party" like a BONE through the NOSE!!!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-03-11 14:52 ]

P

I am in a very serious mood today so no joking around...

Cool! .... nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

A
amate posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2012 8:23 AM

The Big Tahitian

WOW!!! Nice job!

T

A Masterpiece for sure! :)

P

Thanks man. I'm pretty proud of that one!

So I finished up "big retro" this morning with a little torch & stain. Just having fun & trying to get back into "small / cheap tiki mode" for this plant sale in a couple of weeks. Gotta get the inventory up...thus the rough moai with the plant holder on top....

Man i love the little guy in the background wjth the wacky eyes.

.... I'm impressed with the way you can carve these out so quickly with the chainsaw and grinder! That's a skill in itself! Good work!

A
amate posted on Sat, Mar 17, 2012 8:59 AM

On 2012-03-15 18:48, Captain Jack wrote:
.... I'm impressed with the way you can carve these out so quickly with the chainsaw and grinder! That's a skill in itself! Good work!

Amen to that!! There's no way I could produce the way some of you guys are doing.

P

More plant sale quickies!

P

and then there were 2!

Man YOU been busy! Great stuff.

Cool stuff

P

more plant sale cheapies!

N

Keep on crankin bro! Lookin good

That's the way to do it! Should have a nice lot for sale very soon!

P

more more more....this one has hollowed out areas for plants...

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-03-19 14:54 ]

Kool
It's a chia-tiki

You're on fire man.

P

Yeah, just gotta get the inventory up for this show so I'm in "cheap tiki" mode...

You shpuld consider doing some masks. You only have to carve half and get twice as many tikis from a log.

P

good call...

P

more plant sale madness!!!

hollow headed Moai with a drainhole! I've actually been putting drainholes in all of the hollow headed guys.

P

I just saw bigfoot in the front yard.

Looks like you are staying busy....fun stuff...and the Big Tahitian
is crazy....love it.
What a labor of love that must have been.

P

"I have not yet begun to fight!"

Nice stuff,dig the bark finish your doing.It's really kool just smash'n em out ,gives ya a real caveman buzz.

nice bark job

P

Well, all joking aside...it's serious time...

The TROOPS have been RALLIED...and we are facing an EPIC 2 DAY BATTLE (or as I like to call it "my first plant show"). I am NOT GOING THERE TO LOSE DAMN IT! We're TAKING THE BATTLE TO THE ENEMY! I just stained all these tikis, and they are ready to load into the TRANSPORT, preparing to PARACHUTE in all RANGER-LIKE. And I may have had a bit more beer than I should for this time of day but THAT IS NOT IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW!!! FOCUS!!!

When asked what we should do with the enemy, the Marq responded "KILL THEM and EAT THEM"...which seemed really harsh and over the top...so I put him in charge.

M

Bravo!

Expedience and efficiency in concert!

Good luck with this show and have some deserved downtime afterwards.

Mahalo

McTiki

Hey Man,it's allways 5 oclock somewhere,Nice work on the troops!

P

Thanks guys. I have 22 tikis total plus some other stuff....

N

Damn bro you have been busy! Definitely a small army you've got there.

I'm sure they will all be happy parting ways and taking residence in their new homes.

Good luck at the show, and carve on!!!

P

this weekend's project! Making all those production pieces was getting kinda monotonous, so I need to make something cool. I'm thinking a big ku...

P

okee dokee...shaved and ready to go.

big angry kanaloa...

P

grrr!

P

draw out is done....

time to get some dinner & hit home depot for a few items, and then come back & start cuttin'.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 2206 replies