Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

S

Right on buzz thanks for the update from the tiki
capital in the USA.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 12:06 AM

Sorry Zaya, the dog ate your moai, so you can't have it back.

It was great seeing ya'll at the parking lot sale.
GROG looking forward to hanging out with ya'll at Oasis.

B

Great fun looking booth. Looks like everyone had plenty of fun. I'll make it to one of those sales one of these days!

A few recent sunsets:

It's that cloudy on the coast only at sunset time of year...

Old Tiki News:

This guy was finally finished at the end of last week:

And I never posted pictures of this guy after finishing it:

This guy too:

And yet another little one all finished:

And in new tiki news:

I cleaned a bunch of logs with my trusty Ryobi planer today

I had to refinish this guy, so he's ready to be sealed, once again.

I'm almost finished with this one.

A little burnin on him I will do.

Taco Tuesday, I gotta run...
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-04-22 20:17 ]

B

:lol: :lol: :lol: Made in Bangkok...not China.

THE HORROR!.........the horror.......

Say.....Have you had a chance to work that chunk of Mahogany I gave you yet?

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-04-23 19:34 ]

B

man buzzy ,that last guy looks great,realy like the tats

A few sunsets:

I finished refinishing and resealing the second four knuckle ring:

Turned out a lot better the second time, so I guess it's kind of a good thing it got messed up, maybe?
From the top view:

Here it is with the other ring:

I like to do all my log cleaning in one big run so I can just concentrate on carving, minus all the unfun part of carving. I cleaned these this week:

Here's what the ground looks like:

My auxilary dump venue was unavailable unexpectedly for four days last week. All my cans were full with fronds so I didn't have any place to put all that waste. It makes a nice soft outdoor carpet.
Kiva says there's no planer for the job like the ryobi planer:

On 2008-04-24 09:37, buzzard wrote:
man buzzy ,that last guy looks great,realy like the tats

Here he is with the tats darkened in:

I carved this one from this supplied drawing:

Never really tried anything like this before. Glad I got to do it.

I'm almost done prepping logs! Any day now...
Buzzy Out!

Hey Buzzy -

Newly broadband capable and finally up to TC speed (!) I thought I'd drop in to see whats going on, and find myself greeted by a wakaload of Maori bling!! How cool is that?
You could probably market those pendants/rings in NZ as there are a lot of 'Kiwiana' collectors who go for old or new resin pendants/statuettes. Just a thort..

I wish I could say or ask something educated about plam logs or chainsaws or sunsets, but..

Party on.

Tama :)

T

One of my favorite Swamp-fire designs. Would have been my first choice for a Tiki Farm mug long ago. Buzzy you did a great job on it. Like all the shots off the parking lot event. Haven't checked out your page in a couple so just seeing the resin army. Super cool, I have resin seating in my closet for over a year (or more).

S

That head turned out great nice work buzz.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:35 AM

Hey Buzzy....you are one prolific artist. Not easy to achieve and maintain quality. Buzzy style rocks!

Oooo Buzzy, I love this one. The tats are great. What did you use to darken them?

MrsHoptiki

B

Buzz man, Excellent job on the Swamp Fire tiki, you really Nailed it! Loving your Maori stuff these days two!

Today's Sunset:

Way back in December, I had to shelve a tiki I was working on because a couple other projects came up. I finally got back to it today:

It was kind of hot today, but it got real nice an hour or so before sunset.

I have a pop up over my work area right now because I'm still waiting for FEMA to pay for my tarp that was ripped beyond repair last winter during those intense storms.

On 2008-04-27 01:12, Tamapoutini wrote:
Hey Buzzy -
You could probably market those pendants/rings in NZ as there are a lot of 'Kiwiana' collectors who go for old or new resin pendants/statuettes. Just a thort..

Hey Tama, nice to hear from you. Wouldn't shipping make them cost prohibitive? I've been spending a lot of time on trademe doing "research" the last couple months. Endless pool of inspiration. Lots, and, lots, and, lots of that stuff out there, it seems...
Random thought:Someday I want to own my own resin statue company like cocojoes and have to shut it down in its heyday due to a combination of taxes and environmental restrictions. The American dream!
Another random thought more on topic with what you said: Maybe I'll fly to NZ with a backpack full of my resin tikis and trade my way around the country with them. Use them like international currency...The International dream!
I'm always thinking big here...

On 2008-04-27 08:53, teaKEY wrote:
One of my favorite Swamp-fire designs. Buzzy you did a great job on it. I have resin seating in my closet for over a year (or more).

Thanks teaks, made my day. This was phase one of the project. Now I get to send it off for someone to do part two. I'm pretty sure you'll see this guy again...
Might want to check that resin. It gets crystallized after a few months and is no good...

On 2008-04-27 17:02, seeksurf wrote:
That head turned out great nice work buzz.

Thanks Seeks, but it was nothing ,really. I just followed the lines...

On 2008-04-28 08:35, Robin wrote:
Hey Buzzy....you are one prolific artist. Not easy to achieve and maintain quality. Buzzy style rocks!

Hey Robin! I'm glad you forgot about those face logs I made few`weeks back... :wink:

On 2008-04-28 10:25, Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki wrote:
Oooo Buzzy, I love this one. The tats are great. What did you use to darken them?
MrsHoptiki

Dis guy:

Expensive woodburner, but worth the money, in my opinion.
I actually burned most of it live on my justin.tv channel the other night. I need to broadcast on there more...

On 2008-04-28 16:48, Benzart wrote:
Buzz man, Excellent job on the Swamp Fire tiki, you really Nailed it! Loving your Maori stuff these days two!

Thanks Benz! That was a good challenge for me, and what I couldn't carve correctly, I just fixed in photoshop before I posted the picture to save what little credibility, if any, that I have. Just don't look too close at it if you ever see it in person.
That Maori stuff is fun, and I love it, but now maybe back for a quick stopover in Hawaii for a couple pieces...Ben negelecting that region lately. :(

I need to do a Moai too.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-04-28 22:47 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2008 8:33 AM

Maybe then Zaya will quit coveting GROG' Buzzy-made Moai.

Good stuff Buzzmeister.
Thanks for the nice tiki from the parking lot sale. It is all settled-in in the tiki room.

S

Buzzy that's a great looking carving you have under the tarp.

On 2008-04-28 10:25, Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki wrote:
MrsHoptiki

Dis guy:

Expensive woodburner, but worth the money, in my opinion.
I actually burned most of it live on my justin.tv channel the other night. I need to broadcast on there more...

Thanks for the answer Buzz. I'm working on a Swamp Fire inspired carving myself and want to add the tats and darken them in, but my carving is on a small scale. I'll have to see if I can find a very small tip for my wood burner.

Haven't been to justin.tv for quite awhile myself. Just been too busy.

Carve on Buzzman

MrsHoptiki

The parking lot sale looks like a total blast. Don't get much like that 'round these parts.

Luckily I have other obsessions that are met with a decent amount of swap meets around here. The experience of hanging with fellow enthusiasts is often as good as what you take home.

Keep doing what you are doing man, you're golden.

A couple days ago it was so hot I could barely work outside, and then today it was so cold I had to wear two tshirts to keep warm. Crazy weather!

Here the tiki was during my early afternoon break:

Still deep in the roughing out phase:

Most of the work was done on the back, up to that point in the day

Here it is during my late afternoon break:
Flipped him over and narrowed the face a bit and did a lot of arm work

Before sunset I was able to do the cut out between the legs too.

I also did more on the back of the feet

Tomorrow starts with some arm work...

Today, Kiva thought the perimeter was breached and was in full alert mode...

but it turned out to be a false alarm

It was only Buddy Cat dropping by to hang out in the Tiki Tree.
Oh that Buddy Cat always shows up announced! What a zany cat he is!

On 2008-04-29 08:33, GROG wrote:
Thanks for the nice tiki from the parking lot sale. It is all settled-in in the tiki room.

Cool, I just activated the remote hidden camera in it and turned on the monitor...

Ew! Gross!

On 2008-04-29 17:12, seeksurf wrote:
Buzzy that's a great looking carving you have under the tarp.

Thanks Seeks. Lots more to do to make it better, or worse...

On 2008-04-30 10:47, Flat Black wrote:

Keep doing what you are doing man, you're golden.

Until I find something else to do, it's all I can do.

I hope that it is going to be warmer tomorrow.
Buzzy Out!

R
Robin posted on Fri, May 2, 2008 7:33 AM

On 2008-04-28 08:35, Robin wrote:

Hey Robin! I'm glad you forgot about those face logs I made few`weeks back... :wink:

Sketches...I see your face logs as sketches...certainly a valid form of expression for any artist....helps the work move forward ....and you don't take yourself to awful seriously either which is refreshing. I like that new head new very much.

Can't wait to get my new not to serious but very nice Buzzy creations!

B

HEY Buzz, The postman brought me a package today and in side was this COOL "Hooked you UP" Hook Knife!

You don't know what this means to me, Thanks big time!
HappyHappyHappy

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, May 2, 2008 9:28 PM

It was a great evening at The House Of Buzz!

A few of the regulars stopped by...

Here's Buddy Cat coming by to say Hello!

He finally decided to have his first lesson.

Eveything was going great until Ringo came by and saw a cat for the first time!

He'll learn soon that Buddy cat's our friend.

Meanwhile, back in the carving area Kiva makes sure everything is back in order.

Best Pals

And finally tonight's sunset

Zaya

HOK

Looks like a great place to be!

Best Pals (Ringo and Buzzy's sock) :lol:

More Great Tikis, Mahalo Buzzy!

Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

A little tiki update:

I doing yo-yo carving because I started on the top of this one, carved down to the feet, carved back up the body, then back down from the top of the head to the feet, and now I'm working my way up the headress...This is what happens when you don't have a plan. Not having a plan makes for slow carving.

....helps the work move forward ....

That's my new tag line! Thanks Robin. Because using: "That's what I do with my shitty logs instead of throwing them away" hasn't really gone over too well so far with potential customers.

On 2008-05-02 16:10, Benzart wrote:
Thanks big time!
HappyHappyHappy

Least I could do! And thanks for having the "virtual" versions of zaya and I over this weekend too. We had a blast!

zaya: Thanks for the update!

HOKU: Dog days of summer are just around the corner...can't wait!

Carving time!

Moving forward,
Buzzy Out!

H
harro posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 3:46 PM

On 2008-05-02 16:10, Benzart wrote:
HEY Buzz, The postman brought me a package today and in side was this COOL "Hooked you UP" Hook Knife!

You don't know what this means to me, Thanks big time!
HappyHappyHappy

hey buzz did you include instructions on how to use those things? :lol: :wink:

Yo!
I'm a yo-yo carver too! Lookin' great so far.

Today's sunset:

Made some progress on the headress today:

Starting to cattch the shadows now

It's like a big pile of shapes:

My work today received the Buddy Cat Seal of Approval

Since Buddy Cat noticed I'd been working so hard all day, he offered to forage for my dinner in the fragile ecosystem that is the House of Buzz yard:

That's farm fresh hormone free meat he's bringing me!

Thanks Buddy Cat!

On 2008-05-05 15:46, harro wrote:
hey buzz did you include instructions on how to use those things? :lol: :wink:

It's actually a magic knife that does all the work for you. That's why it cost so much. I felt real bad because Benz couldn't afford the electric model. That one carves even faster than the magic manual knife. He'll still like his a lot though.

On 2008-05-05 16:03, surfintiki wrote:
Yo!
I'm a yo-yo carver too! Lookin' great so far.

Yo! back Yo! Time for a tiki yoyo, you know!

Oh no!
Buzzy Out!

Break time: I've been working on the headress

Did the lower part and tapered the middle part a little more:

I did the back of it too.

It's a lot of shapes:

It was pretty confusing to keep track of and carve all those shapes and angles, so I had Buddy Cat help me with the calculations and measurements

He checked it out and was satisfied with the results.

And then he went out in the urban jungle of my yard and foraged for our lunch...

After supplying red meat yesterday, Buddy Cat ensured a balanced diet by providing some fowl today:

I dared Kiva to eat it, but she scoffed at me, saying she was fasting until this evening.

It is Taco Tuesday at Del taco today, after all.

For some reason, chicken soft tacos sounds good right now.
Buzzy Out!

That headdress on the new one is CRAZY GOOD!
Can't wait to see the face more developed!
I really like this one...almost a stairway feeling to it!
GO BUZZ GO!

S

Hell ya, that headdress is most impressive.
Fine work Buzz!

Dont want to be a broken record, but that headress is lookin' killer, Buzz.

FB

Your photos and stories of buddy cat are perfect for those funny captioned cat pictures (which I adore).

New piece looks great. I'm jealous of the idea of having a day that is "too hot". The weather here has been so iffy.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 9:21 AM

Buzzy,

This guy is over the top. I love it! Tops Chops mang!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 10:14 PM

What the heck IS Buddy Cat, some kind of unstoppable KILLING MACHINE???? Who needs 32 gallons of DDT when you have Buddy Cat around!

And Buzz, are you in Tikimecula repeat mode? Are you gonna make tiny leetle swirls on every one of those headdress steps now too?

Strangely, for all the Chop Crew's time spent hanging out with you, I don't think we've ever actually seen you carve a full sized Tiki!

R
Robin posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 5:54 AM

On 2008-05-05 13:18, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

....helps the work move forward ....

That's my new tag line! Thanks Robin. Because using: "That's what I do with my shitty logs instead of throwing them away" hasn't really gone over too well so far with potential customers.

Glad to be of service...let me know if you need a sales rep.

Thanks for all the extras in my package...my little van Tikis are just about ready to roll.

Love the work you and Buddy are doing on that head dress.

On 2008-04-28 22:43, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Hey Tama, nice to hear from you. Wouldn't shipping make them cost prohibitive? I've been spending a lot of time on trademe doing "research" the last couple months. Endless pool of inspiration. Lots, and, lots, and, lots of that stuff out there, it seems...

Maybe I'll fly to NZ with a backpack full of my resin tikis and trade my way around the country with them.

Not a bad idea Buzzy; Ill scrape off a spare bed and dig out a cold beer for one..
T.Me would be the place to sell them too so it might be advisable to bring a lap-top..? But yes it does seem there is more and more new 'Maoriana' wares entering the market in the last couple of years and the extra competition must make it tough in a small domestic market like ours. You may be just as successful in the marketplace here and/or on eBay?

Im glad to see Im not the only one whose back yard resembles a petting-zoo too!

PS: I think that magic Maori hook-knife might come under NZ Culture & Heritage 'restricted artifacts' bylaws, which state that certain items of particular cultural significance must be returned to Tangata Whenua.. Tell you what - send it over to me and Ill pass it on. There shouldnt be any trouble.. :wink:

Buzzy, that headdress is wicked!

Recent sunset:

I had another visiting artists dayhere at the House of BUzz over the weekend. Click the link to see all the festivities. Good times indeed! Might have to do that again.

I worked on the nose and did some overall cleaning up of this guy that day:

Then I had to shelf him again while I made a quick custom sign:

Lot of letters in a small space...

Between the steps of the sign making process, I grabbed a few pieces of exotic wood to work on later:

It's from a carob tree. Here it is with some oil on it to show the grain:

It's very hard and gnarled. Looks like I can get a few good pieces from those chunks. It was a huge log, and those were the best of the bunch.

Then I was finally able to get back to this guy:

I did some more work on the tongue and upper teeth since this picture was taken:

Buddy Cat stopped by while I was working to check up on me and the tiki:

He gave my progress a good looking over...

before he took it upon himself to go get dinner:

:up: Buddy Cat poised on top of the gate, ready to strike.
Good thing it was Taco Tuesday at Del Taco because LuckyBird got away. :(
For the first time he's hunting something for dinner I've actually eaten before!

On 2008-05-11 03:06, Tamapoutini wrote:

T.Me would be the place to sell them too so it might be advisable to bring a lap-top..? Tama :)

PS: I think that magic Maori hook-knife might come under NZ Culture & Heritage 'restricted artifacts' bylaws, which state that certain items of particular cultural significance must be returned to Tangata Whenua.. Tell you what - send it over to me and Ill pass it on. There shouldnt be any trouble.. :wink:

How much do you think a contemporary "Maori Buddy Cat" would fetch?

...and as for the couch and a beer, Deal! Since the knife is of such historical significance, it will be best if I hand it over directly. Wouldn't want any chain of custody issues to arise. See you soon! Warn Paipo...

Robin: Good luck on the trip! Have fun.

Thaaaanks to G, Duddy, Cammo, FlatBack, Fballs, seeks, and Ruzzic for the comps on the headress. Now I have to go out in the sun and smack some little pieces of wood off a big log.

Heat wave a comin'
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-05-14 11:57 ]

gonna be good to see what you do with that wood you got there!
Rock on BuddyCat!

Today's Sunset:

I did some more work on this guy's face:

Just have a little evening out here and there to go

I don't know how much more I have to do on this one overall.

He's going to be one of those ones who I will work on until he tells me to stop.

On 2008-05-14 13:58, Tiki Duddy wrote:
Rock on BuddyCat!

Kiva just wants to remind you she's still Top Dog around here, even though Buddy Cat does rock.

I can feel the heat a comin'...
Buzzy Out!

mouth looks great!

Thankfully, the sun went down today...

and hopefully an end to the heat is next! If it's foggy tomorrow, I'm going to go outside in my trunks until I get cold. Please be foggy tomorrow...

I started a little cannibal guy yesterday. Here's the progress so far:

I'm waiting for the cool to kick in before I go to work on him tonight. He's going pretty quick, and I should finish him tonight. Unless there's something good on tv.

TDUDDY: Thanks man! Happy the way that guy is coming together. I'm just about finished with him too.

8 o'clock and it's still light out!
Buzzy Out!

BuzZay! looking forward to seeing that one! lucky you got the sun today. it was gloomy here, had to carve in the garage. send some of that sun this way!

I worked from late in the evening to the early morning hours on the Cannibal Guy last night. I didn't quite get it finished, buut came pretty close. Here's where I left it:

TDuddy: So, I didn't want to say this over on your thread the other day, but I noticed you're a highschooler living in the northwoods of Canada(Cammo country?), you're carving a Maori pipe, and you're wearing a Darksideofthemoon shirt... :wink:

Yes! It's cloudy today. Hooray for the coastal marine layer!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-05-20 14:31 ]

hahah, no comment buzzy!
except on the badass canibal! looks awsome!

M
Murph posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 5:34 PM

The cannibal guy is looking great.
You should call this one "tastes like chicken"

S

Nice work on the lono and the cannibal is looking
pretty good also.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies