Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

That last drum looks tall.

Could it be for Teakey? (sp?)

no kidding buzzy, will this be a stand up drum? looks to be about 4 or 5 feet tall.

bd

A picture is worth a thousand words, a picture by Bowana is worth a million words.

While urinating, Bowana is easily capable of welding titanium

Bowana always knows the EXACT location of Carmen SanDiego

Bowana has the world's greatest poker face. He won the 2007 World Series of Poker on a bluff while holding a Joker, a "Get out of Jail Free" Monopoly card, a 2 of diamonds, a 6 of clubs, and a "Draw 4" Uno card.

Bowana doesn’t bowl strikes, he just knocks down one pin and the other nine faint

Bowana can touch MC Hammer

:lol:

Just checking in to see what you're up to Buzzy, nice drum!

what's up, Buzz- you are a machine! everything looks great. the big guys are awesome and i'm really diggin the drums and tables. i'd like to have a picnic on tiki island, i'd bring some bread for the birds.

Today's sunset:

I started the day by drawing out what I needed to carve. First thing I did was transfer my rough sketch onto a scaled out piece of paper. after much refining, I made a stencil and traced out the design on both sides of the log:

That's carve ready now. Both sides have the same drawing on it:

Sides of eyes first:

Then side of nose:

Sides of arms, bottom of hands, and base done:

now that the sides were all done, I had to do the middles. Here's the first face rough carved:

I stopped working on this side of the log because it was getting close to sunset:

Then I turned the log over and got the second side pretty much to where I got the first side:

the other side:

Or maybe that was the first side? More refining tomorrow...

On 2009-05-09 21:49, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
buzzy I love the Maori brothers!
Amy

They sure do look good there!

On 2009-05-09 22:40, hiltiki wrote:
I wish I could go to the desert on the 23rd to see these pieces in person.

Call in sick?

On 2009-05-10 16:56, surfintiki wrote:
Do you ever take a break?

I'm always looking so forward to doing whatever it is that I have to do next, that I pretty much just jump right into it right away. I always have more ideas than time, so I'm always trying to catch up with myself.

On 2009-05-10 18:17, Benzart wrote:
Do you EAT wood Too?

Purposely?, No!

On 2009-05-10 20:22, RevBambooBen wrote:
That last drum looks tall.

Could it be for Teakey? (sp?)

the drum is conga drum height. It's 36 inches tall. 3 inches taller than GROG's drum that went to Colorful Colorado.

It's not for Teakey, but might be going to someone who has a TC name that rhymes with "Teakey."

On 2009-05-11 10:39, big daddy wrote:
no kidding buzzy, will this be a stand up drum? looks to be about 4 or 5 feet tall.

Only three feet tall. Made to look as much like this one as possible:

On 2009-05-11 12:54, MadDogMike wrote:
Bowana.... :lol:

I just cannot get enough of those Bowana jokes! They're almost as funny as That what she said!

On 2009-05-11 13:56, greentikipat wrote:
i'd like to have a picnic on tiki island, i'd bring some bread for the birds.

Hey Greentikipat! I think that feeding the birds is a Federal Offense... Going on the island probably violates state laws...and the water is polluted! Welcome to Tiki Island!

I have some Brady Bunch idols to paint now...
Buzzy Out!

Today's sunset:

I did a little more refining today:

Side one:

Other side:

Buzzy Out!

the new drum looks awesome man, and the Brady bunch tiki idols are rad too(put me down for 1, unless its too late). i gotta get over there and chop one of these days

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2009-05-12 23:09 ]

Today's sunset:

the sun was real bad for progress pictures today. This is the only one without glare spots and shadows:

At the end of the day, i had both bottom sides finished, the rim cleaned up and levelled out, and the drum part ready for decorating:

I have to let that one sit for a couple days while I finish these up:

I hope to do the legs on both tomorrow.

On 2009-05-12 22:59, tikithomas08 wrote:
the new drum looks awesome man, and the Brady bunch tiki idols are rad too(put me down for 1, unless its too late). i gotta get over there and chop one of these days

Hey Thomas! we've been carving close to every day from about noon to sunset lately. Lots of cameo guest appearances dropping by now and again. Just call me the day before you want to stop by. A Cherry Pepsi gets you in. I'll have a Brady idol over here for you when you show up.

One day at a time...
Buzzy Out!

Awesome carve on that standup drum. How tall is it? Is it for somebody?

rad thanks buzzy, my semester ends in a weeks so expect a call from me around then. to add on to bills question are you carving it for the tikiyaki orchestra?

JT

The Drum is Looking Good!!!!
Trying to make it over soon, Want to split some logs for the Chop over at Queen K's pad.
Check ya soon, -Johnny B.

B

What can I say? Excellent drums Buzz, I think you have this process down pat!

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, May 15, 2009 5:14 PM

I love your work Buzzy!
you got skills man! hopefully I can get my hands on some of your beautifying work
for me Tiki Bar...
Cheers! Notch

Saw the fake Drum the other day and it's freakin awesome!

The other Big Guy too!

Should be good next weekend.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 7:37 PM

Iz the tiki still on your island? We want photographic proof!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 21, 2009 5:42 AM

The Tiki has apparently been swiped!

We're going back with a full crew and seriously nail a Tiki down using cement, chains, pickaxes, and lots of carriage bolts. It's a giant project years in the making. A two trip canoe project. It's just like Episode B of a 2-part Buzzy's Island show.

We thought the seagull was going to protect it, but he chickened out.

That doesn't surprise me. My money was on it being swiped within 3 days of placement. I know it would not have lasted that long here! Next time set up some bear traps in the sand around it.

A recent sunset:

When I left you guys last, I was just about to carve the details on the two drum looking tables. I'll start with my progress on those, and then mention other projects I've been working on since my last post.

I started by carving the legs.

Then I carved the rest:

Johnny came by to do some carving too:

Sneak preview of Johnny's NuKu:

After carving the first table, it was second table carving time:

Ringo and Kiva kept me company while I was working on it:

After a visit from a good friend of mine, and spontaneous reunion of old coworkers, I got the table finished:

Here they are all carved up, waiting to be sanded:

After many hours of sanding, I stained them and painted the drum heads

Next step is some rope wrapping

In between all that, I was also working at the factory on my CocojoesBrady Bunch Ripoff idols

We're adding a second shift to meet the intense world wide demand

Another project I was called upon to do was pendants for a party coming up soon.
Here they are in the early carving stages, while still in the siamese twin phase

OOoops! I meant the conjoined tikis phase.

They were deconjoined and then sanded.The next step was to burn in the face tattoos. Here's my burning setup with a Brady Bunch idol looking over me to tempt fate:

Now burned:

And with some stain:

The pair

They match the two big Maori guys I did last month

The pair, all ready for for molding...

and now waiting under the mold material:

I'll be back to answer the last couple days worth of comments in a little bit. I need to clean up some of the mess I made while doing all this stuff over the last few days.
Buzzy Out!

T

Dayumn... someone's been busy! NICE! Nice work by Johnny as well. :)

JT

Hey, Thanks TheBigT. Buzzy The mini Maori Bros. pendents are looking sooo Sweeet!
-Johnny

B

I get tired of saying the same old thing all the time, But again, Man your Stuff's Really loking Good, Xcellent stuff, and All that Stuff .
Buzzy, you Gotta slow down one of these days, but not just yet so-----
NO SLACKING!!!

The two drum looking tables are finished now!

First one:

For the three panels above the tiki legs, I did random abstract patterns

In the three panels in between, I tried to make the patterns mimic tiki faces.
Eyebrows square teeth guy:

Oval mouth wide nose guy:

Big ears small eye guy:

The second drum table:

Three tiki face panels like this between the legs

Abstracts for the rest:

The tables in their new home:

In other tragic tiki news: The stupid mold material stuck to my stupid pendants so I had to scrape off all the mess and now have to refinish and remold the stupid things.

On to other stuff:

On 2009-05-22 14:16, Benzart wrote:

NO SLACKING!!!

I'm too busy to have any time to slack off...but busy is good!

On 2009-05-22 00:26, jab tiki wrote:
Hey, Thanks TheBigT. Buzzy The mini Maori Bros. pendents are looking sooo Sweeet!

I think all those damn Brady Idols must have cursed my molds! Or maybe it was all the lava in my cocojoes collection...
Whatever it was, they dont look so sweet now! :(

On 2009-05-21 12:52, TheBigT wrote:
Dayumn... someone's been busy! NICE!

I just took two days off and I'm all fired up to get back to work now!
What?...It's a holiday today? Hmmmm....what's on tv today? Ultimate Fighter marathon! Oh yeah!

On 2009-05-20 19:37, GMAN wrote:
Iz the tiki still on your island? We want photographic proof!

I drove by early one morning and I could see the tiki out there on the island. Then, about three hours later, I was working in the factory and just happened to glance down at the island and it looked a little "off." I grabbed my telescope and the tiki was no where to be seen. Oh well. All I have to say is this: Enjoy the cursed tiki, basturd who liberated it!

Tiki Island will live again! I promise!

On 2009-05-21 05:42, Cammo wrote:
We thought the seagull was going to protect it, but he chickened out.

The Department of Fish and Game took the tiki because they thought he killed the bird. It was just a flying cockroach, anyway. I don't see the big deal...

On 2009-05-21 10:17, AlohaStation wrote:
That doesn't surprise me. My money was on it being swiped within 3 days of placement. I know it would not have lasted that long here! Next time set up some bear traps in the sand around it.

We're going to do something like that next time, that's for sure! It disappeared after a really nice weather weekend with a lot of events over on the closest beach to it. It lasted a lot longer than I thought it would, but it was still short lived. I'm thinking of taking about 100 Brady Bunch idols and throwing them all over the sand and lagoon out there. People would be digging those up for months!

On 2009-05-18 06:42, RevBambooBen wrote:
Saw the fake Drum the other day and it's freakin awesome!

The other Big Guy too!

Should be good next weekend.

EVERYTHING looked great over there and it was an ARRRRSOME weekend! I had a blast! We should do something like that again. :wink: SOON!

On 2009-05-15 17:14, NOTCH wrote:
I love your work Buzzy!
you got skills man!

Thanks Notch! Sweet music to my ears, that was!

On 2009-05-15 08:17, Benzart wrote:
What can I say? Excellent drums Buzz, I think you have this process down pat!

These drum things are getting pretty routine for me now so I think I'm going to do my next one blind folded, just to keep things challenging and fresh.

On 2009-05-14 19:32, tikithomas08 wrote:
to add on to bills question are you carving it for the tikiyaki orchestra?

Yes I am. Join the club now!

On 2009-05-13 20:17, 4WDtiki wrote:
Awesome carve on that standup drum. How tall is it?

It's a little over 36" tall.

Today, I shall work exclusively on the drum, and continue on it until I am done.

This weekend officially opens tiki season (in my mind, at least). Enjoy it while it lasts!
Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 25, 2009 10:45 AM

Your stuff looked great in Amy's back yard, Buzzmeister.

Can't wait to do a proper bongo beatdown on that drum and wake the natives !

On 2009-05-25 10:03, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I drove by early one morning and I could see the tiki out there on the island. Then, about three hours later, I was working in the factory and just happened to glance down at the island and it looked a little "off." I grabbed my telescope and the tiki was no where to be seen. Oh well. All I have to say is this: Enjoy the cursed tiki, basturd who liberated it!

Doesn't Erik live right over near there?
I'm just sayin'...

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 25, 2009 12:04 PM

Good to see the Factory is still pumping out product. You and the arms manufacturers must be the only folks doing good business right now :lol:

Keep fighting the good fight....

G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-05-25 15:32 ]

EVERYTHING looked great over there and it was an ARRRRSOME weekend! I had a blast! We should do something like that again. SOON!

I have the KEY! :wink:

sunday was nice. :)

HOK

On 2009-05-25 10:03, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I'm thinking of taking about 100 Brady Bunch idols and throwing them all over the sand and lagoon out there. People would be digging those up for months!

:)

No sunset picture today because I'm trying to let that crybaby Little Lost tiki catch up to my TC photo download total so he'll shut up about it every time I see him.

(Actually, it was cloudy today at sunset.)

Tiki work:

After getting the bottom of the Tikiyaki drum carved, I went back and cleaned up the inside a lot more.

I still have to smooth out a couple hard to reach spots with a curved hand planer tomorrow

Next I did a whole lot of tiki drafting:

All I have to do is carve between the lines

For the top part of the drum, I used this picture for reference:

Here's how I did the drum base that sits on the tiki's head:

All the patterns are different:

Now it was time to do the top of the drum. I found it is easier to keep the lines straight when I carve it from straight above in the chair. Here's my workplace setup for this stage:

I took the two portions that were visible in the source picture, split them up, and then mirrored them so that they looked a little like abstract tikis:

The other one:

For the two remaining panels, I went back to this source:

Here's the first one I did

And the second

All carved up:

A little more work on the inside part, a little work on the rim, a lot of sanding, some staining, and stretching the head is all I have left on it.

On 2009-05-25 10:45, GROG wrote:
Your stuff looked great in Amy's back yard, Buzzmeister.

Thanks GROG. Great hanging out with you on the weekend.

On 2009-05-25 11:13, tikiyaki wrote:
Can't wait to do a proper bongo beatdown on that drum and wake the natives !

Soon! Very, very soon!

On 2009-05-25 11:54, 4WDtiki wrote:
Doesn't Erik live right over near there?
I'm just sayin'...

What would Erik want with a tiki?

On 2009-05-25 12:04, GMAN wrote:
Good to see the Factory is still pumping out product. You and the arms manufacturers must be the only folks doing good business right now :lol:

I'm working real hard so I will be able to afford to get some ammo. :lol:

On 2009-05-26 19:27, RevBambooBen wrote:
I have the KEY! :wink:
sunday was nice. :)

Tiki Bar Takeover Party! Sunday was pretty cool...and the weather was warm! Ummmmmm....bacon amd BMWs!

On 2009-05-27 03:27, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

:)

Now that's A REAL McCOY!

After "that's what she said" and Bowana jokes, my favorite thing to say is "Now that's a real McCoy!"
Buzzy Out!

Way Kool drum Buzzy! Sure dig the shots of your stuff in that
awsome backyard.

T

Damn, you are gooddddddddddddddddddddd! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.. Looks just like the one in the photo. 8) You need to come to NY and carve one for me.. :lol:

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 10:17 AM

A+++

Five stars.

Two thumbs up.

Gold medal.

On 2009-05-28 10:17, GROG wrote:
A+++

Five stars.

Two thumbs up.

Gold medal.

And a Mickey Mouse stamp.

Buzzy, this thing looks great !

Wow, this is a terrific thread! Very cool stuff in here.

T

More More More

The drum is all sanded now. I just need a couple sunny days to dry out the center so I can stain it.

Front #1

Front #2

Side #1

Side #2

Top #1 front

Bottom #1 front

Top #2 front

Bottom #2 front

the rim all fixed up

The center all hollowed

C'mon sun...

On 2009-05-27 22:30, Watango productions wrote:

Way Kool drum Buzzy! Sure dig the shots of your stuff in that
awsome backyard.

I work in my yard, not on my yard.

It's the tiki carver's code.

On 2009-05-28 01:59, tikipaka wrote:
8) You need to come to NY and carve one for me.. :lol:

They're actually quite cheap to ship. That other tall conga I did was just under $50.

On 2009-05-28 10:17, GROG wrote:
A+++

Five stars.

Two thumbs up.

Gold medal.

The only award` or recognition I get that means anything to me is the three pecker award...
This one's still a candidate for that.

On 2009-05-28 11:29, tikiyaki wrote:

Buzzy, this thing looks great !

It's only going to get better from here. Pray for sun!

On 2009-05-28 12:32, finkdaddy wrote:
Wow, this is a terrific thread! Very cool stuff in here.

Thanks finkdaddy!`welcome back.

On 2009-05-30 08:33, teaKEY wrote:
More More More

I can't decide if I want to do another drum, or a tiki tomorrow.

See how I feel in the morning.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-06-01 20:37 ]

Amazing as always!!! I was lucky enough to set my drink on one of the tables at Amy's...even more insane live. UDAMANBUZZY

Very nice....As a drummer, this piece is dead on for me!!

S

Man you have become a master at this. They look Great! (even without 3 peckers)

Yes hide the idols and keep us updated.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 7:51 AM

I got to see the Yaki Drum in all it's glory last night! Buzz, you is the drum king! Congrats to the new owner.... This one is special.

JT

Buzz, The drum is looking good!!!
-Johnny

There was sun today, so that means there was a sunset!

I took full advantage of the nice sunny day today. I put the drum out to dry and spent the day rotating and moving it to maximize its curing. To occupy my time between drum rotations, I carved a Moai out of a less than perfect log:

He's 5'8", but we'll put

On 2009-06-01 20:43, VampiressRN wrote:
Amazing as always!!! I was lucky enough to set my drink on one of the tables at Amy's...even more insane live. UDAMANBUZZY

Thanks vamp! Glad the table worked for you. I almost started the day by doing a table, but made it a double Moai day instead.

On 2009-06-01 21:28, Meheadhunter wrote:
Very nice....As a drummer, this piece is dead on for me!!

A lot of love and pride goes into making these drums. I thought about making another drum today, but I made two Moais instaed.

On 2009-06-01 21:29, seeksurf wrote:
keep us updated.

It was a warm and sunny day today and I carved two Moais out of two logs that I had sitting around for a while.

On 2009-06-02 07:51, Babalu wrote:
I got to see the Yaki Drum in all it's glory last night!

If you would have come over today, you would have seen the drum drying in the sun and me working on one of two Moais that I carved today.

On 2009-06-02 20:10, jab tiki wrote:
Buzz, The drum is looking good!!!
-Johnny

Looking good and feeling fine. Hoping it sounds good too...You should see the Moais I carved today.

I hope it's sunny tomorrow. I feel like carving something else.
Buzzy Out!

Today's sunset:

Yesterday's work day was cut short due to lightning and downpours. Today, there was enough sun to help the drum along:

The goal is to rotate and tilt it so there is no shadow in the drum

It should be ready on Saturday for the stain/sealing.

Last August, they tore his house down and he was homeless for several months. He moved down the block and refused to go back to his old house after it was rebulit. He hasn't even visited me this whole time. However, I'm happy to say our dear old friend BuddyCat returned to one of his old stomping grounds:

Welcome back BuddyCat!

Today's project was this log:

It might be a drum or a table or a stool.

I have yet to decide.

Buzzy Out!

Today's sunset:

I didn't like the lower profile of the new piece so I changed it. I thought it needed a more tapered and sleek look:

I also started one of the feet...

And the tough part, I got it all(mostly) hollowed out:

And the other drum is almost done drying...

Buzzy Out!

A couple days ago sunset:

Today:

A lot of cloudy days ahead too

I decided to use the new drum as a test piece for a goat skin head, instead of the cow I've been using. Then I'm going to beat the crap out of it and see if I can bust the head. I'll consider its sound and durability before using either type of head in the future.
And while I'm on the subject of the test drum, I did some more cleaning out of the center of it:

I also carved the feet, the rim part just above the feet, the recess where the rope will go, and sanded it down in prep for the decorating part:

Now it's time for a little tiki drafting session on it.

I also sanded and stained one of those moai I carved last week:

I have a couple more logs ready to go for some quick carves. I'll probably spend the bulk of my day working on those tomorrow.

I think I have to make some more Brady idols real soon too...
Buzzy Out!

Yesterday's sunset:

Test drum update: Jabtiki came over yesterday and we had a good old tiki drum circle jam session. We checked the differnces between the cow and goat head and neither seemed to be better than the other. Each were different, but still good. More testing to come later...
A little tiki drafting on the drum in prep for carving:

A little carving done on the lower rim:

My garage is clean now, so I can use it as my staining work area again. The stained Moai with spar on it, drying away the day:

I like being able to do the staining in the garage because then I can still do other work concurrently without worrying about getting dust stuck to the drying piece
The other Moai is sanded and stained now, ready for some spar.

Also, two more logs just about carve ready:

And finally, I'm doing some stain testing:

I think I'm working on 7 things right now.
Buzzy Out!

T

cool you at least gave the different skins a try. Now you know. That was fast getting to it.

Yesterday's sunset:

The two Moai are done now:

I also did a little more on the bottom parts of the drum:

I sketched out what I wanted to do for the next quick piece on a scaled piece of graph paper. To transfer the scaled draft to the log, I tie a sharpie to the end of a bamboo pole and stand back so the drawing is as large as the log is from my vantage point. I hold the drawing with one hand next to the log while I draw out a same sized design with the bamboo pole pen with the other hand. I had to stand about nine feet away to make the drawing the right size on this log. My arms get tired so I have to do this real fast.
Pretend I have a nine foot pole withna pen on it in my hand instead of of camera, and in this picture you can kind of see my techinque. However, in the picture, the drawing isn't the same size as the log like it was to my eye. The dog is in the way too:

Here it is all sketched up and ready to go:

Teakey: The real test will be on a day when the cow sounds flat. Hopefully, the goat will not be flat also. That's the final, and determining factor.

Back to work.
Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies