Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Zerostreet's Tiki Art!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2,156 replies

On 2011-03-31 13:21, WestADad wrote:
My favorite piece of your work Robert.

Fantastic!

Thanks so much Chris! I am really liking this one....as is usually the case the photo doesn't quite capture it!

Have a few things going on at once...gonna attempt to finish this one off first.

Not sure where this is heading conceptually, but I'm enjoying it so far!

Moving along! This piece now has a title: ENCHANTED AT THE COVE

Also, wanted to do something to tie in with this year's Hukilau Theme. So here it is:

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-04-09 20:55 ]

You tell that squid to keep his slimey tentacles off that mermaid! :D Looking good Robert

On 2011-04-09 22:41, MadDogMike wrote:
You tell that squid to keep his slimey tentacles off that mermaid! :D Looking good Robert

Think it's too late! Thanks Mike!

It's fun to see what you think of each time. All the fun touches. I can't figure out what is on the ground in front of the tiki. Wendy

On 2011-04-11 08:46, danlovestikis wrote:
It's fun to see what you think of each time. All the fun touches. I can't figure out what is on the ground in front of the tiki. Wendy

Funny you should mention that Wendy....I was working out the details of a little contest in regards to that! Stay Tuned!

Here's more:

Moving along on Enchanted At The Cove! Mini Contest coming soon!

Also below are some mini-paintings I am doing for Hukilau!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-04-13 19:03 ]

W

Looking good Robert, I like all the new pieces.

On 2011-04-15 18:21, WestADad wrote:
Looking good Robert, I like all the new pieces.

Thanks Chris! Will be posting a few more soon!

I like contests but I'm not good at them. I keep staring at that thing! Wendy

Ok. As I try to finish up a number of paintings I thought I'd go ahead and launch the contest I mention a few posts up.

I am going to pose a question about my in-progress painting ENCHANTED AT THE COVE, which can be seen in my last few posts in this thread and the first person to post the correct answer in this thread wins one 12.25x15 inch print of their choice from the 4 images below.

The correct answer is known only to myself (at the moment anyway) and may only make sense to me but I think any astute observer could come up with the answer I have in mind...at least I hope so! :) Here it is:

Why has the Mermaid succumbed to the Squids "enchantment"?

The one hint I will give is to go and look through my gallery of images. Either at http://www.tikitower.com or here at Tiki Central http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36491&forum=21&45

The contest starts......NOW! Good luck!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Apr 16, 2011 6:25 PM

I know why - she dropped the magic mermaid power-protection-pendant (it's on the seabed below her to our right) and is now open to the squid's devious deepsea hypnotism!

Cammo

On 2011-04-16 18:25, Cammo wrote:
I know why - she dropped the magic mermaid power-protection-pendant (it's on the seabed below her to our right) and is now open to the squid's devious deepsea hypnotism!

Cammo

Easy enough! Winner!

Choose your print and pm me your mailing address!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Apr 16, 2011 6:50 PM

YYYYYAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

I love your art!!!!! Is the mermaid-and-tiki one a print up for grabs? I love that one!

That was a really hard contest! I spent hours debating the reason and looking over the art in question.

Cam O.

On 2011-04-16 18:50, Cammo wrote:
YYYYYAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

I love your art!!!!! Is the mermaid-and-tiki one a print up for grabs? I love that one!

That was a really hard contest! I spent hours debating the reason and looking over the art in question.

Cam O.

You got it! And boy, those hours were so intense they kinda felt like minutes, huh? :)

Finished up 2 more smaller paintings of Mai Kai Tikis for The Hukilau!

He just read my note and your answer. But he beat me anyway. Congratulations Cammo, wendy

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 18, 2011 9:25 PM

Sorry, Wendy! I really wanted that MERMAID print!!!!

Thanks, ZS!

Hope to be done with this one in a few day!

I missed the contest but I love the way the painting is turning out!

Cool Painting! I love the whole "story" and secret meanings artists work into their pieces. Love it!

that poor mermaid!
great painting Zerostreet!
and those recent lil ones are sure to fly out of your vending booth at Hukilau!
RIGHT ON! GOING STRONG!

Thanks Mike, Brad and Ken!

Hope they are as big a hit with the Hukilau crowd! As to the back story, I love doing that and plan on doing more of it.

Which leads me to reposting my Tiki Tower Chimp trailer for anyone who missed it the first time. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AygeqH2_Xkw

Started a new Moai painting tonight. Mermaid's almost done!

Untitled
Acrylic on 7x9 inch wood plaque

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Apr 21, 2011 7:29 PM

Spiffy!

On 2011-04-21 19:29, TikiG wrote:
Spiffy!

Thanks Greg!

Just finished another Mai Kai Tiki!

acrylic on 3x5 wood plaque

That Moai turned out very cool!
and the MaiKai Tiki is wonderful.
i love how the wood peeks thru and adds texture to him!
Boy is gettin prepped for Hukilau i see!
Right on!
:)

On 2011-04-22 18:37, little lost tiki wrote:
That Moai turned out very cool!
and the MaiKai Tiki is wonderful.
i love how the wood peeks thru and adds texture to him!
Boy is gettin prepped for Hukilau i see!
Right on!
:)

Thanks Ken! Boy is trying anyways! :)

On this latest Mai Kai tiki I went back to my comic book style drawing days and decided to go with a black outline. I always love that! And that Tiki seemed to call out for it!

Here's the latest on Enchanted At The Cove. I feel I'm a day or so away from completion. I added an ominous green tint to the water surrounding the Squid....didn't photograph to well tho'.

Here's my interpretation of the backstory; the sailor was jilted when the mermaid left him for a grouper so he hired the hitman squid to get his revenge :lol:

The colors are really starting to POP!

On 2011-04-24 10:14, MadDogMike wrote:
Here's my interpretation of the backstory; the sailor was jilted when the mermaid left him for a grouper so he hired the hitman squid to get his revenge :lol:

The colors are really starting to POP!

Nice! Hitman Squid? Sounds like a great band name! :)

So ENCHANTED AT THE COVE is finished. I will properly scan it tomorrow. Here's a pic of it sitting on my printer.

Now, in addition to working on the smaller paintings for Hukilau, I am jumping in to another new painting. This one is titled THE TIKI GOES NOWHERE! and features the character of Doc Savage protecting a Tiki from some marauders. I will be attempting to achieve a nice pulp style on this one! Stay tuned!

This was my original sketch which I posted here some time ago:

And this is the new direction, with a more prominent Doc Savage.

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-04-24 18:52 ]

Moving along on Doc Savage

Got a bit of work done! Off to bed!

Off to a great start Robert!

Thanks Mike!

TZ

Cool! I'm a Doc Savage fan from way back. Now, for the next painting, if you could have him riding on the running board of a Stutz Bearcat, with a fez monkey driving, that would be perfect.

On 2011-04-29 06:56, Tiki Zen wrote:
Cool! I'm a Doc Savage fan from way back. Now, for the next painting, if you could have him riding on the running board of a Stutz Bearcat, with a fez monkey driving, that would be perfect.

Thanks Tiki Zen! With my love of painting chimps that idea may not be too far off! :)

On 2011-04-29 06:56, Tiki Zen wrote:

:lol: That's good stuff!

Worked some last night....added some cooler tones and am happy with his face. Now to tighten up the body and Tiki!

Wow, that should be on the front of a pulp fiction book. I'd want to read that book. The emotion is perfect. This is one for we woman. Thank you! Wendy

On 2011-04-30 12:27, danlovestikis wrote:
Wow, that should be on the front of a pulp fiction book. I'd want to read that book. The emotion is perfect. This is one for we woman. Thank you! Wendy

Thanks so much Wendy! I am trying hard to get it to look like an old paperback that's for sure! Still have a lot to work on though!

Another Mai Kai tiki!

C
cy posted on Sun, May 1, 2011 12:41 PM

You are a great artist zerostreet. I really like seeing the paintings progress and the layering that gives them such depth.

On 2011-05-01 12:41, cy wrote:
You are a great artist zerostreet. I really like seeing the paintings progress and the layering that gives them such depth.

Thanks Cy! Appreciate the words! Layering and a lot of dry brushing does add quite a bit to a painting! It's time consuming but well worth it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2156 replies