Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Zerostreet's Tiki Art!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2,156 replies

Absolutely beautiful, great job Robert! Seems everyone of your painting is a little more alive with expression that the one before it.

On 2011-08-18 19:56, MadDogMike wrote:
Absolutely beautiful, great job Robert! Seems everyone of your painting is a little more alive with expression that the one before it.

Thanks Mike! I've certainly noticed how much more comfortable I am with acrylics, that's for sure!

Nearing the finish line on this one! Very happy with it so far! Adding a few Tikis to the treasure.

Maybe another 4-5 days to go.

:lol: I hadn't noticed there weren't any tikis :lol:

On 2011-08-20 21:26, MadDogMike wrote:
:lol: I hadn't noticed there weren't any tikis :lol:

That statement is some sort of a paradox!....at least I can't wrap my head around it so early :D

Can you make out the tikis? The light in my studio is not the best for capturing detail. May take a pic outside today if it stops raining!

i see a tiki in the chest....
open your eyes Man!
:)
that green glow fascinates me...
make it stop.

Here are 2 poor pics of the tikis in the painting. These are still pretty rough, and I may add more as I go!

By the way, for those of you who have purchased my book, I would REALLY appreciate a review on amazon.com! Pleasantly surprised to have had a number of sales this week! My book is now #309,942 in Amazon's sales rank! YES!!!!!!! :D Ha!

Beautiful Zero, love the green tones and the underwater ambiance. The humorous irony reminds me greatly of one of Marc Davis's gags for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. But I want to hear the story behind this picture; how did that treasure chest get so far away from the ship in the background? Was the poor sailor holding onto the thing when she went down and couldn't escape for some reason or what? We wants the redhea....I mean we wants the story mate! :wink:

On 2011-08-22 03:07, tigertail777 wrote:
Beautiful Zero, love the green tones and the underwater ambiance. The humorous irony reminds me greatly of one of Marc Davis's gags for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. But I want to hear the story behind this picture; how did that treasure chest get so far away from the ship in the background? Was the poor sailor holding onto the thing when she went down and couldn't escape for some reason or what? We wants the redhea....I mean we wants the story mate! :wink:

Thanks for the kind words Tigertail!

There's not too much of a story outside the play on words of the title. It definitely takes place off the shores of Tiki Tower Island, as most of my paintings do. The TT Mermaids are exploring the wreck and they (or their amulets) are the primary source of light in the painting. As to the wreck I envisioned the ship breaking up sort of Titanic style, which is why you have the pirate in the foreground, The wreck way in the back and some more ship debris in between. Whether or not he came down clinging onto his treasure I guess is up to the "viewer" to decide. I myself think his greed kinda makes that a certainty!

Took the day off for my daughter's first day of Kindergarten, so I was able to take a pic outside. This is more accurate than the others. My studio light always warms up the painting (not a bad thing most of the times!)

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-08-22 07:40 ]

I like the brushwork visible in the closeups - acrylics don't seem to inspire most people to do attractive brush strokes.

Looking good Robert, getting some nice depth in this one.

-Thanks Robb! As I may have mentioned previously, I'm feeling the "tug" of a more impressionistic style in my paintings! That may account for those brush strokes.

-Thanks Doug! I'm working hard on creating that depth! It's a bit of a struggle too!

I'm working on prints of some of my recently sold paintings. Here's a peek at 2 now. I hope to have them up at my Tiki Tower store soon and I will list it the TC marketplace as well. Anyway interested now can message me for pricing info. These are pigment inks on cotton art paper prints!

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-08-23 18:23 ]

BT

I just gotta say man, you're work has come a long way since you started posting. You got some pretty cool stuff, keep it up.

B

gorgeous work sir!!!

-Badd Tiki thanks so much for saying that! I'm trying very hard to improve my technique from painting to painting

-Tom, thanks! Appreciate it!

Wrapped this one up!

ME TREASURE CHEST
16x20 Acrylic on Canvas

So cool Robert, the draped seaweed on the chest looks so slimy and convincing. I had noticed the green background but didn't recognize it's significance as a light source from the amulets.

M
mp posted on Thu, Aug 25, 2011 10:05 PM

Great colors!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the words!

Wow, love the draped seaweed, adds a subtle creepy touch...kinda like the cobwebs of the ocean. Turned out very nice, now tell Disney to take out the Johnny Depp scenes in the Pirates ride and put this in instead. :wink: As I said before it has a very Marc Davis feel to it because of the visual gag. Did he wish to the Tiki god in the chest to be able to keep his treasure chest forever? :wink:

On 2011-08-27 15:02, tigertail777 wrote:
Wow, love the draped seaweed, adds a subtle creepy touch...kinda like the cobwebs of the ocean. Turned out very nice, now tell Disney to take out the Johnny Depp scenes in the Pirates ride and put this in instead. :wink: As I said before it has a very Marc Davis feel to it because of the visual gag. Did he wish to the Tiki god in the chest to be able to keep his treasure chest forever? :wink:

Thanks Tigertail! If only Disney would listen! :D And whether or not he wished it, I think he got this treasure forever!

W

Koshi Koshi Koshi!!!!

On 2011-08-28 15:54, WestADad wrote:
Koshi Koshi Koshi!!!!

:)

On 2011-08-28 15:54, WestADad wrote:
Koshi Koshi Koshi!!!!

I appreciate the enthusiasm guys! :D

Koshi is in the batter's circle! He'll be next after I finish a painting of THE SHADOW (which is actually near completion). I seem to be going through a long list of childhood pop favorites...plus it seems a Tiki-break every few paintings does me good! As usual, anyone wanting to check out my non-Tiki stuff, including the aforementioned Shadow, head over to Zerostreet! Here's the link:

http://www.zerostreet.net/the-shadow/

R.

W

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The SHADOW knows!!!

[ Edited by: WestADad 2011-08-28 18:11 ]

Finished my Shadow painting to work on Koshi should start tonight. The Shadow painting can be seen at http://www.zerostreet.com

R.

Began KOSHI GREETS THE STORM tonight (slight title change) Stay tuned!

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-08-31 19:37 ]

It's a beautiful storm :)

On 2011-08-31 19:50, MadDogMike wrote:
It's a beautiful storm :)

Thanks Mike! It might get a little nastier tonite!

Your treasure chest has so much depth that I keep returning to look at it. Your next painting coming up has one of our favorite tikis so I'm going to enjoy watching it evolve. Love the storm idea too. Wendy

Survivor this season is South Pacific and I saw lots of tikis in the preview.

On 2011-09-02 08:31, danlovestikis wrote:
Your treasure chest has so much depth that I keep returning to look at it. Your next painting coming up has one of our favorite tikis so I'm going to enjoy watching it evolve. Love the storm idea too. Wendy

Survivor this season is South Pacific and I saw lots of tikis in the preview.

Thanks Wendy! Hope to make some progress tonight!

Haven't had much time to paint this weekend...still lots to go!

Discovered a cool panoramic feature on my phone's camera and took a pic of my studio. Thought I'd share it here. It's quite messy but I'm in the middle of a massive cleanup for the last 5 years :D

That painting you (can barely) see on the left is a portrait of myself as Superman done by a friend of mine.

If you're in the "middle of a massive cleanup for the last 5 years" then there a light in the tunnel ahead - you should be done in 5 more years! :o

That storm is looking ominous!

On 2011-09-03 21:17, MadDogMike wrote:
If you're in the "middle of a massive cleanup for the last 5 years" then there a light in the tunnel ahead - you should be done in 5 more years! :o

God willing! :)

There's about a day left in the Tiki Tower Labor Day Sale! 15% of all items in the store as well as whatever original art I have left at my site.

Use the code CHIMPS to apply the discount at the store:

http://tikitower.storenvy.com/collections/12516-all-products

Originals for sale are listed here:

http://tikitower.com/original-art/

Message me if interested!

moving along on Koshi....

RH

Love the sketch - this one looks like a ton of work.

On 2011-09-06 09:29, Robb Hamel wrote:
Love the sketch - this one looks like a ton of work.

Thanks Robb! I am particularly fond of the the sketch. I usually forget them as I start the painting but this one I keep going back to.

SHAMELESS FAVOR ASKING TIME!

Is there any kind soul who will be attending GOIN' PRIMITIVE this October who would be willing to pick me up a mug and ship it to me? I am totally in love the the Davey Wong/Grog mug for that event (the grey green one) and they will only be sold there...I would gladly pre-pay and of course cover shipping...and gladly throw in a print as a thank you! If so please message me!

R.

Got these Tshirt samples in from a new printer I'm trying out! These and a few more designs will be available soon directly through my Tiki Tower store!

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-09-07 15:39 ]

Reworking this one quite a bit....finally on the right track I think!

SHAMELESS REQUEST!

Is there any kind soul who will be attending GOIN' PRIMITIVE this October who would be willing to pick me up a mug and ship it to me? I am totally in love the the Davey Wong/Grog mug for that event (the grey green one) and they will only be sold there...I would gladly pre-pay and of course cover shipping...and gladly throw in a print as a thank you! If so please message me!

Moving along....

Listed some original art at the marketplace!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=41136&forum=12&0

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-09-10 20:16 ]

Really coming along nicely. I really like the soft daytime glow on the tiki. Is it my imagination or do you have a sort of fish eye lens thing going on with this? The background details sort of form this "sphere", which to my eye has a kind of perception of it being a fish eye lens. Or am I crazy? :lol:

On 2011-09-12 05:09, tigertail777 wrote:
Really coming along nicely. I really like the soft daytime glow on the tiki. Is it my imagination or do you have a sort of fish eye lens thing going on with this? The background details sort of form this "sphere", which to my eye has a kind of perception of it being a fish eye lens. Or am I crazy? :lol:

Thanks! There is definitely a fish-eye curve to the composition. Not intentional though!

Another T Shirt idea I'm working up. Should have a few designs ready in my store in a week or two.

W

C O S M O!!!!!!!!

Koshi's looking good!

On 2011-09-12 18:06, WestADad wrote:
C O S M O!!!!!!!!

Koshi's looking good!

Thanks Chris!

Didn't intend to post again so soon as there's not much progress since my last post, but thought I'd put up this detail shot!

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-09-12 19:14 ]

Is that a chimp t-shirt? I like chimps and I like functional art, plus I wear t-shirts - that's a winning combination!

Koshi is looking very clean, nice!

On 2011-09-13 12:51, MadDogMike wrote:
Is that a chimp t-shirt? I like chimps and I like functional art, plus I wear t-shirts - that's a winning combination!

Koshi is looking very clean, nice!

Thanks Mike! Still working in the Cosmo shirt. Hope to have it available in a week or two!

Excellent T-shirt and wonderful painting. You are the master of monkey in the wind either sitting or riding. Cheers, Wendy

PS my Scootiki painting sold at Elroy art space

On 2011-09-13 19:06, danlovestikis wrote:
Excellent T-shirt and wonderful painting. You are the master of monkey in the wind either sitting or riding. Cheers, Wendy

PS my Scootiki painting sold at Elroy art space

Excellent Wendy! Congrats! The 2 paintings and one illustration I sent all sold. Gotta see how I can finagle my way into an Oasis show next year. :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2156 replies