Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Well, I gotta say, there are some things you miss having when you live in a small town on an island. Like a place to get your Mac fixed! My computer was down for a week. Had to send off island for a part. Only recently got back 'on line' - sheesh, you never know how much you need connections to the culture like TC until they are taken away.

Anyways, great to be back on line!

Here's where the painting is at. Lava crack transfromed into a lava hole.
I didn't get as far as I wanted, due to lot of work cropping up. I'm still roughing in light sources, and the like.

Big aloha!
B~

Aloha!

Re-re-working some lighting.
Mahalo!
B~

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 18, 2009 4:58 PM

Loving the shading of the background, great subdued colours :D

B

Right on Tiki Sharkinator!

Many MAhalos for posting ur progress!

That is looking killer!! i always love seeing ur underpaintings...and where u go with descisions and u progress!!!!!!!

are u working with glazes over the underwork on this one?? that hut in the background is looking so magical!

keep kickin out the jams brother!

Hey Brad!:
cool lava hole!
REally like the background --the waves look pretty powerful i also like the light comming from the shack
Great color of blue

Big Mahalo my friends! Thank you thank you. Nice to read first thing in the morning!
Late night.... (yawn)..
Only a little time ot work on the painting.

More later....

mostly caught up on your thread, Brad- always cool to watch the more serious underpaintings of this style. great commentaries from yourself and Thor; i got the same comment from a high school art teacher once, and have always had a love/hate view of the subject for years since. now i just love it all.
oh, and for the record, if i had commissioned the 'cat' he would have the dead bird and a fish bone! cheers, man! can't wait to see the next shot.

greentikipat~ I dig it. Ya know, now that I have the painting scanned in, I may just go back in and add that dead bird... then have two versions of the piece as a art print. Hmmmmm....

OKAY I'm doing a ART GIVE AWAY!
LISTEN AND WIN!
A swanky art print!

"The Moon of Manakoora"
Very Limited Edition Giclee Art Prints of which this is the LAST Artist Proof!
Reproduced on heavy "alure" paper.
Paper size: 16" x 20"
And it could be yours for free!
I'll pay for shipping no matter where you are.

Go to http://www.cocktailnation.net and listen for my interview on the next pod cast, and find out how to win!

Good Luck!
B~

...Downloading Podcast!

Thanks TD, but it's not the current Cocktail Nation pod cast that's giving the art print away, ...it'll be the NEXT show. I already did the phone interview. Koop puts the show up this week, so look for it soon. Or, er... I mean listen for it!?

Anyways, Hey that Magazine put my art on the da' cover too! I guess they do different covers, three I think, and one of them features "The Moon of Manakoora" and pushes the Tiki article.

Swanky!

Tell ya what, who ever wins the art print will get a copy of the magazine too!
B~

T

Hey Brad! LOVE the new painting! And the amount of work you're pouring into it is amazing! Every time you post an update, it's got major changes... and then more major changes... it's like you've done several different paintings on one canvas, and every step along the way looks incredible!

Congrats on the magazine article... cool cover, too! The on line version is different, so I was excited to see your art on the cover!

Keep up the great work, or better yet, stop right now so I can feel good about my work!

very cool, dude- congrats!

Aloha tiki Tribe~
Tubunga ~ Thanks so much. Means a lot coming from one of my favorite artist/friends! This one is going through big changes. I think I'm getting over my fear of painting out things till they look right. Of course maybe this is not good, as I could just keep repainting the whole thing for ever! But, I think my process is a very organic one - things grow on their own, taking new directions, and I'm just following it with a paint brush mopping up.
greentikipat - Thank you, I was very surprised and flattered by being on the cover. For about an hour after I first saw it, I just sat there gawking at it like kid with a new toy. It's the first time I've ever made the cover of something. Next will be the fall / winter issue of Tiki Magazine.

Here's the paint slapping I managed last night. It seems so dark now. I know it's a twilight scene, but I think I gotta lighten it up considerably.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!
This new one is coming along Marvelously!
lovin the rougher background...
Congrats on the cover and print!
You sooooooo deserve it!

i really like how you did his hands/arms brad!
and yes, i realized it wasnt the current podcast :lol:

awsome work- waitin for that New podcast! :P

Wow congrats on the cover, that's a fantastic piece of art! Please do scan and post the article for us. . .

Aloha~
LLT~ Thank you. the cover was a real treat. I am diggin the rough, misty background. It's me revisiting the style of the BG in the painting you have.
TD~ Thanks, I reworked the hands, after I did a new sketch.
Tiki Von Tiki Thanks. You can check out the article on line - the whole magazine is posted on line at: http://www.artandcultureonmaui.com/

Here's what I did last night.

Mahalo~

Brad- That piece of yours looks great on the cover! I got a few copies, but only ended up with the seascape scene and some other landscape scene. I wish they would have put your cover issue in there instead.... Also, this latest stuff of yours is very cool!

Thanks so much SAM!
(Hey, maybe you CAN get a copy with my painting on the cover if you listen
to the Cocktail Nation....)

Aloha Tiki Tribe, ...and members of The Cocktail Nation.

This pod cast episode of The Cocktail Nation, some lucky listener
wins a giclee art print of "The Moon of Manakoora".

...and it's not just an art print, but the last "Artist Proof" available
from that run. A very rare item, indeed.

Also, I'll throw in an autographed copy of
"Art and Culture on Maui" magazine which
features an article on tiki culture and reproduces "Moon"
on the cover as well as inside with the write up.

Go to http://www.cocktailnation.net and WIN!

Good luck!

Big Aloha from the Big Island!
Brad~

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
Proud Sponcer of The Cocktail Nation
http://www.cocktailnation.net/

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-05-24 00:24 ]

Aloha ~

Consciously seek-ed a brighter background setting late last night.

Don't know who won yet.
http://www.cocktailnation.net

Mahalo~

Just realy diggin ur werk . VERY KEWL.

ok..NOW im downloading it!
oooooh man, excited for this podcast!

forgot to say how i liked the lighting you did infront of the lava hole
-how the light is reflecting off of the base of the tiki
but i REALLY like the background, brad

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2009-05-24 16:59 ]

We have a winner! Hiltiki will be getting the swanky swag sent out this week. (sorry TD)
Congrats!
B~

Shucks!

Congrats-hiltiki :)

Damn that cover looks nice - your work is soooo perfect on a white background.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Thanks Robb, it's nice to see it reproduced all swanky and such too. It's a nicely done mag, heavy stock paper with high gloss pages. It's a give-a-way that will be around Maui until the next issue in Dec.
Here's the latest work on the latest painting...

Some how the glowing lava crack in the rocky beach has metamorphosed into a mystical portal opening in a black sand beach. Which, strangely enough, is also something one might encounter on a midnight stroll here on the Big Island.

I've taken a deliberate course to lighten up this piece. I had a feeling that it was too dark. So, I spent the weekend's hours layering in brighter shades into the misty twilight. I know now, the tiki it self will be brighter and reflecting more of the light at it's feet.

More laters!

B~

T
thick posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 3:09 AM

Hey man, just popping in to say I really dig this new piece, not sure why, just really enjoying watching the progress. Seems more painterly (is that a word?) then your other recent work. Whatever, I dig it man!

Brad!
Dude! - this piece is turning out to be one of my favs.
i just cant get enough of that killer wave crushing in the back!
what draws me to this one the most is the color of the water though- intense
the reflection off the water, just below the shack is incredible aswell, brad
AwsomeWork

Aloha, tiki tribe~

Well, it's been a while since my last posting. I had a death in the family. My father-in-law passed away here at home after years of battling Alzheimer's. It was a powerful experiencing caring for someone as they left this world. I've never been through anything like it before. I hope it's given me a deeper sense of what's important in this life.

Anyways, now that the family who were visiting and helping have left, I've got the guest room back as an art studio.

I think I can feel a lot of what I went through appearing on the canvas. Art therapy, if you will. This piece didn't start out as "mystical" or should I say, as "spiritual" as I think it's going to end up.

I appreciate having the Tiki Tribe as a part of my life. I treasure the ability to celebrate in this wonderful Modern Tiki Culture we have. It gives me hope, and it's a tiki torch of light in this sometimes dark ocean we're sailing across. And, I just gotta' give a big big MAHALO and ALOHA to everyone.

B~

RH

ATMOSPHERICS!!!!

Yes, Yes, YESSSH!

BT

That swanky art print is like... WOW.

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

Big Mahalo~

Incredible.....just frickin' Incredible Brad.

Simply perfect!

The new painting is beautiful and uplifting Brad. Evokes a sense of peace.

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
TiKiMaN77 - Thanks!
TikiMango - Big Mahalo!
TIKI-TONGA - Thanks, it's getting an interesting quality.

Now the tiki finally taken on a bit more shape.
More to come...
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-06-11 11:23 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jun 11, 2009 1:23 PM

Another masterpiece in my book.

Love the atmosphere, the childlike quality of the vision and the almost psychedelic approach with color choices.

Superb. Inspiring. Thanks!

Thanks TikiG! HAPPY KING KAMEHAMEHA DAY!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I got a special HAPPY KING KAMEHAMEHA DAY limited offer going on in the Tiki Marketplace on my thread there. (Buy-one-get-one-free!)

ALOHA!

Aloha!

Some more taking form... and more to come.
Mahalo!

Happy Aloha Friday!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 12, 2009 10:48 AM

Title:
Tiki Worshipping at the Burning Sphincter of Doom

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

GROG~ heh heh, I know! Funny, my first sketch had a "crack" in lava rock which I then felt looked to much like ...er... shall we say a part of Pele's feminine regions. So, somehow, it turned into a whirling vortex in the black sandy beach... which does at this moment resemble a Burning Sphincter of Doom. BUTT, it's not done yet, so it'll keep changing to be sure.

Here's da latest. More to come... think I'll be getting into the wave next...

Big Aloha
B~

T

you say getting into the wave. I bet if you polled people on TC they would say the background is perfectly done in its certain dreamy style of state. The tiki does have a more polished look but I love love the background. I like the more simplistic hazy look.

T

double post

any mug news?

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2009-06-13 20:01 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

teaKEY~ Thanks, It'd be nice to work all loose and easy. But, you know me, I'm an obsessive artist who doesn't control the brush: the artistic mana lightning arches outta' the volcano into my brain - sizzles down my quaking arm into the brush and I gotta paint till it "looks right". What ever that is...and I usually don't know till I get there.

Mug News, check the latest Tiki Magazine for the mug of Diga Diga Doo, plus, I just saw a sculpt for the small mini mug in that same painting - it looks very cool! If you got the print, (or the original painting, and the mugs, it'd all be rather 3-D!) Plus, another one in the sculpting stage that's a sworn secret until Tiki Farm releases it this summer. Plus, I'm sketching another design (that may be related to my favorite pod cast.)

Here's where we are now.... working the wave.

Big Aloha!
B~

T

Yeah just picked up a copy of T.M. a couple hours ago. I was wondering if you had saw that there. The color in your ad in T.M. is fantastic and the frame that is around it is a nice choice. ~teaK

Brad!
Looking so dreamy!
It's perfect as is
but i just KNOW you're add something
wonderful and unexpected!
I like the different layers of meaning
that have slowly formed around and into this one!
:)

TeaKEY~ Thanks, glad you liked that massive dark elaborate frame in my ad in Tiki Magazine. I'm starting a whole new area of the Modern Tiki Sub Culture called "Gothic Tropic"!
LLT~ Thank Ken, it's morphing fer shure... here's the result of last night's late painting session (blurry eyed this morning). Waves taken on some more cartoon realism and such.

Here's the wave shaping up - for the better or worse? (better I thinks... but still more to come...)

B~

This painting is shaping up to be one of the many greats that have been composed by you.....keep it up!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies