Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

teaKEY~ Thanks! Yeah, my worn wood is taking on a strange almost carved tattoo vibe.

Here's the orchids roughed in.... and I may put in another palm tree in the bg....

ALOHA!

Thos orchids are already amazing! Can't wait to see them progress!

ALOHA tiki Tribe!
zerostreet ~ THANX! These orchards are going to be a challenge..

GREAT GOOGILY-MOOGILY! Firgginratsinfratzindangnabing orchards!
Orchards are all curved surfaces going every which way... really complex to render.

here's the whole thing so far...

ALOHA

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2011-05-13 16:52 ]

Looking at this, one question comes to mind:

WHAT PIECE OF MUSIC GOES WITH THIS?

Regular, happy Exotica doesn't go with all the ruddy heat.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Robb Hamel - Thanks, GOOD QUESTION! Exotica (and other music) always always always plays a very important role while I'm painting. This painting had some classic Denny really become it's heart beat... : Martin Denny's "Jungle Madness","Exotica/Voodoo Love" and "Hypnotique" really made my art muse speak to me. And Of COURSE I had to listen to "Black ORCHARD" while painting the flowers!

Here's the over all thus far...

Here's a better look at the exotic orchards... now on to the star gazers on the other side. And I'm still pondering if I should put in one more palm tree... more to come!
ALOHA!

...and what's ALWAYS on my I-pod painting mix is "Lagoon" by Clouseaux and some choice tunes by Kava Kon.

Those Orchids are such a delight to look at and mull over!
Orchids are the aliens of the plant world...
looking sooooo Magical,Brad!

Orchids are the wet open vaginas of the plant world? I agree LLT! They smell so good too! Looking great Brad!

LLT - Thanks, they are the aliens of the plant world, way lots of work to get all the curves and weird coloring... but very very much worth it in the end.
Sneakytiki - I was thinking that as I painted them! I think it has a lot to do with nature creating an enticing and alluring object of delight to attract honey bees for pollination.
Hey good news... I got some press in the UK!

Here's the cover

Da first page

da second page

Big thanks goes to Dennis Mathewson for hooking me up with Lynda Johnson and the other fine folks at KUSTOM graphics magazine! I'm so jazzed to spread some tiki over in the UK!
BIG MAHALO AND ALOHA!

ALOHA Tiki Tribe!

Here's where we are now on the painting...

Star Gazers are almost done. Just gotta put in the thing-es that stick out of the middle of them.
Been playing around with pointillism a bit more on this one, I like it to texture the ground, now I've done a bit to the edges of the sky. My eye sight is so bad that when I step back and look at it, with out my glasses on, it all looks like beautiful smooth shading. So... I may smooth it out a tad. Almost done!

ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

So far ... put in the setting sun and some cloud-like shapes...

finished up on the star gazers...
gonna' put t few stars in the early twilight sky and I think that will do it.... plus a few more passes over the pointillism on the sand and stuffs like dat.

ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's the finished Orchards and Star Gazers.

Here's the sunset and twilight.

Here's the finished piece:
"Secret Cove"
24" x 30"
Acrylic on canvas

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

'tween paintngs had the urge to do an ink drawing. Watched Afro Samurai vol 1 and 2 and started this...

Awesome!

Thanks zerostreet~

Well today is about shipping...

the "Tiki N' Toxica" show at KUSTOM Lane gallery is going very well. Here's a mid-show re-order going out.
Note the special never before seen giclee art prints of "Cat O' Nine Cocktails" and "Hawaii-ween" and ...

The Monsters each blown up to 16" x 20" , they came out looking so awesome! Bigger is better (when you're talking monsters"

Check out the tiki art show at http://www.kustomlane.com/

ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

TIKI Samurai is almost done.

Here's da' whole thing...
Lettering and boarder still to do.

ALOHA!

ALOHA!

Full image of TIKI Samurai
Ink on Bristol Board

TIKI Samurai detail 1

TIKI Samurai detail 2

TIKI Samurai detail 3

TIKI Samurai detail 4
Mahalo!

Awesome drawing! Love the feet! Very cool!

Aloha Tiki Tribe - and Happy ALOHA Friday!
New painting...

Look familiar?

It should. This is a commissioned piece, the buyer wanted "Cat O' Nine Cocktails" very much, but it had already sold. so they commissioned me to do another one... it's almost just like it. A few changes...

This size is much smaller. The first one was 24" x 30" This one is 20" x 16".

Give me a chance to correct a few things ... something I've never tried before. Interesting ...

ALOHA!

T

People are going to think this place is real

teaKEY - yeah, Disney land with drinks!

First pass at the twilight sky. Roughed in half the tiki. I may go in and make the car larger, and put more of a "cartoony" perspective on it...

more later

ALOHA!

Lovin the line work on the Samurai,Brad!
so graphic and dynamic!
And this new/old one is turning out beautiful!
Any radical changes from the original on this one?

Love the Samurai! Do I see a hint of Walt Simonson influence in your line art?

Thanks!
LLT~ Well, I reversed the car so it's going the other direction, and this time I'll remember to put rear view mirrors on it. While trying to keep to the original mostly, knowing my weird organic style I don't know how close I'll be able to get.
Zero Street - Yesiree!

Here's the sky one step further...
ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's a new ink study for the next painting....
it's called "Tiger Shark Surfing"
17" x 14"
Ink on Bristol Board

Here's a bit further in the inking.....

It's nice to refresh the art instincts a bit with a nice B&W ink project tween the paintings.
I'm still working on "Cat O' Nine Cocktails" 2 , but this next image hit me so hard I had to get something down on board now...

ALOHA!

S

Like the "tiger shark surfing", looking good as usual.

sirginn - Thanks!

A little more inking...

Here's a detail...

more to come!
ALOHA!

WINNING!

BLUSHING! (Thanx LLT! U RAWK!)
I am still working on painting #40 "The Cat O Nine Cocktails (version 2"), but... as LLT has imparted pearl's of artistic wisdom to me, why not work on two paintings at once? Hmmmmm.... That way, if you get stuck on one, you can bop over to the other one and work on something fresh. The kind patron who commissioned "Cat O' Nine Cocktails 2" is in no hurry, so I thought I'd give this 2 at once thing a go. Never really worked on two before, so this is a experiment.
Started #41: "Tiger Shark Surfing" - see above for the ink study.
It's a bit daunting to slap paint on a big ol' blank canvas.... but it sort of helps knowing I have #40 going already. Guess LLT is right again! That wise Jedi Art master that he is!

(Mahalo LLT!)

Anyways, ALOHA Tiki Tribe!

LLT is all knowing! But the best part is he is willing to share experience/advice at the drop of a hat!

I kinda like working on a few things at once...unless you are really in a zone then I guess it's best not to stop and change directions!

I think this new painting promises to be exceptional, if the ink drawing is any indication!

zerostreet - you're so right! And lets hope the energy of the ink drawing can oooze on over into the up coming painting of the same subject.
Will be interesting working on 2 paintings at once. Never have done it before.

"Tiger Shark Surfing"
14" x 17"
Ink on Bristol Board

Tiger Shark Surfing
detail

ALOHA!

I LOVE SECRET COVE. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ONE BEING FINISHED. I'VE LOOKED AT YOUR ART FOR A LONG TIME, IT'S GREAT. WENDY

danlovestikis, THANKS! I hope it comes out too!

"Tiger Shark Surfing"
14" x 17"
ink on Bristol Board
SOLD

"Cat O' Nine Cocktails 2"
I re-worked the car....again! But now it's looking better. Got that dynamic pop surreal perspective. And the start of the shark 'aumakua reflected in in it's surfaces.
More to come...

BIG ALOHA!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Got some more work on the revision of "Cat O' Nine Cocktails"

Here's the whole thing...

Here's a detail on the Tiki Bar Sign...

Laters!

Aloha!

Here's the pic so far...

Some closer detail on the TIKI bar...
more laters...

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's "Cat O' Nine Cocktails II" so far....
For anyone confused, yes, I have painted this almost exact scene once before. "Cat O' Nine Cocktails". this one is a commission for some one who really wanted the first painting, but it was already sold, so they forked over enough coconuts to have me paint it again. The car is headed in another direction, and there are a few other changes...

Here's a detail on the giant tiki. Half stone, half wood. OK, why half and half? Good question. Not exactly sure myself, but that the artistic tiki muse urged me to create it so... the duality of man, who knows... up to you I guess.

Anyways, it's coming along... hope to finish in the next few days.
Laters!

Double your Pleasure....
Double the FUN!

Right on Brad!
You got so much good mana
that you could probably juggle 3-4 pieces at once!
Looking good on the commission
but,as always,doing a repeat of a previous work
and the fact it's a commission
sometimes affects the psyche
and creates a listless doldrum....
It's normal,your artist brain is probably 2-3 paintings behind schedule
and eager to tackle those.....
Still....your dedication and perserverance and discipline is shining thru
This Cat-o-Nine Tails is gonna be just a BOMBs as the first....
but REALLY can't wait to see the Shark Surfer!
Miss you buddy!
:)

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
little lost tiki~ I am chomping at the bit to do the "Tiger Shark Surfer".... but I'm having fun on this "repeat performance".
Plus you are right, I have a sketch book always close by to get down the ideas that come to you in the wee hours of the night.
About 5 or so REEAALLYY good paintings I'm looking forward to doing. Some ideas have been around for years, but I didn't think I was good enough to try them yet... now I'm getting a little more comfortable with the brush and canvas to give them a try.

Here we are so far...

Second time around the client asked for more "Skulls" so I'm finding places for a few more. I like the cat face better on my 2nd try...

And Late Last night I had help. This little art assistant kept me company!

ALOHA!

Sneak peek:

Birthday cards, post card set (10) and fridg magnet...

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Here's the whole thing so far... getting close to the car... that will be for last.

Here's a closer shot of the Cat O' Nine Cocktails!

Cheers!

ALOHA!

so far...

detail

ALOHA!

A local all girl rock band "borrowed" one of my images for a promotional flyer

the gallery owner who reps me here found it, went over and raised hell I guess.
(I thought it kinda funny, and bound to happen sooner or later)

ALOHA!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Here's the car a bit worked out...

And done. I think the cats came out a bit cute, but when I tried painting them with slanted cat eyes, they looked too evil, and this big eyed version somehow reads as funny.

More like kittens going for their first ride in big bad Tiki Town.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Heres the rough sketch for the next painting... "Tiger Shark Surfing"

A small study...

Working out the cartoon wave...

Got the ink study ready to transfer to the canvas...

Slapping down paint onto the canvas...

Here's the canvas roughed in ....

Laters!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Here's a rough pass at the sky...

Here's a little more work on the sky. I work back to font, farthest point from the viewer up to the foreground. So this is the far sky, I 'm thinking of clouds then mountains, sea cliffs, or a volcano maybe. Water fall? we shall see.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Here's the sky layered again, smoothing out the tones.

a closer look. A lot of this will be covered with mountains and trees. I usually do sunsets, but I know the tiger shark is going to be warm tones, so I need a cool back ground so he stands out.

Nice job on the second Cat-o-Nine Cocktails!...But I'm loving this shark surfer! Can't wait to see it come alive!

SHARK SURFER!!!!!!!!!
Gonna be Super Awesome...
i kin feel it!
Lovin your initial studies and sketches!
ZING!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies