Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Hey Brad, is that a skull...or even a face reflecting in the cats eyes in that last pic??? Impressive as always.

Hypnotic!
the "eyes" have it!
:)

HOPPY Aloha Sunday Tiki Tribe!
Sam Gambino - Thanks so much. I'm still working out the balance of color schemes. I'm glad you think it's looking good. I was a bit worried about the orange / purple / blue, but it's kinda pulling together.
little lost tiki - Mahalo, it's a treat (and a challenge) to paint the eyes in. Sort of brings the character in the painting to life.
TiKiMaN77 - Well, you are a careful observer, aren't you?! You know I've heard it estimated that cats are less domesticated than dogs. By about 5,000 years. So, that means there's more "wild animal" still left in cats than in dogs.

Therefore, no matter how cute a cat is...

...deep in it's feline mind...

... you could still be lunch.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-12 13:02 ]

AAAAAAAAAAA!
you're freaking us all out!

Mom!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-04-12 15:29 ]

B

Amazing...simply amazing. Brad, your attention to detail is just way, way over the top. I really appreciate all of the progress shots you post; its fun to watch how you build these paintings up. I can't wait to see what comes from that wonderful imagination of yours next.

A stunner! So the bird is mush now? Will you be able to "resurrect" it in your painting? With that kind of fur detail, you are getting (forgive the comparison to another artist) into Ryden-esque micro brush territory! Aren't you worried that you'll fall in love with this piece too much too let it go?

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
little lost tiki - Ha, you are da' best! Didn't mean to scare anyone! Just to inform the public about the deadly house cat menace among us.
Babalu ~ Thank you! This one has been a lesson for me all about how to make fur look like fur. I think I did okay for a first try. Perhaps it could be a little more "fluffy" looking. I still have to paint in the whiskers and like dat. So, we'll see how he comes out in the next few days.
bigbrotiki ~ I just had a chat with someone about the dead bird. Paint it in or leave it out? If I put it in, the painting becomes a sudo-eco statement about evasive species in the Hawaiian Islands and the depletion of the native bird population, or even an urge to make sure your cat is spade or neutered to help with the feral cat problem on the islands.
If I leave the dead bird out, The painting becomes a little more accessible to the common viewer, and hopefully then, an image that would sell more prints. You see, I was having this talk with my mom, and my print sales go to help her financially. So, for mom's sake instead of the native Hawaiian bird's plight, the dead bird will not be painted in, but will perhaps be addressed in a future painting - after my mom's retirement is more secure.
Her argument was something like "Do you see Thor painting dead birds? No, you don't. Why? Cause who'd buy a painting of a dead bird?" :) (Mom is a total hoot!)
And... Thank you, I am deeply honored to have you compare me to one of my all time low-brow art heroes Mark Ryden. Wow, that really made my day! Jeeze I can feel my head swelling! These last two paintings sure have been influenced alot by Ryden's work. The specific staging, the dramatic lighting. Of course, I also consider them heavily influenced by the Aurora monster models I built as a kid. Each one is a specific character on a "stand" (or setting), with hopefully a classic and implied legendary tale behind them.

Yes, I do fall in love with each painting I do. But, I LOVE it when my paintings sell! There's nothing better! First off, theres the nifty money part. Then, I get to know that the painting is out in the world in a place (I hope) where people can sip tropical drinks and gawk at them. That fact is one of the best things about creating low-brow art! That it goes somewhere cool, like a basement tiki bar, a swanky pad, a hipster abode, and gets seen by members of the "Tiki Tribe"!

And, before too much time goes by, I'm working on a new one that I'm totally in love with - so that helps any potential feelings of loss.

And, I got a really great printer. His reproductions are so spot on, I can retain the image. It's not exactly the same as the original, but it's close.

Here's some late night "Easter" work on the Lime.

Big Aloha from the Big Island!
B~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-13 13:10 ]

Hi Brad- I love the detail and those skulls in the eyes... I think I've seen those skulls in the eyes of a neighborhood cat around here! I love the detail and colors!

wow Brad.......it looks so fantastic..I love the fractal quality of your work...the details in the details.....as usual, most excellent!

On 2009-04-13 13:06, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
.....If I leave the dead bird out, The painting becomes a little more accessible to the common viewer, and hopefully then, an image that would sell more prints. You see, I was having this talk with my mom.........Her argument was something like "Do you see Thor painting dead birds? No, you don't. Why? Cause who'd buy a painting of a dead bird?".....

.....Of course, I also consider them heavily influenced by the Aurora monster models I built as a kid. Each one is a specific character on a "stand" (or setting), with hopefully a classic and implied legendary tale behind them....

.....And, I got a really great printer. His reproductions are so spot on, I can retain the image. It's not exactly the same as the original, but it's close....

Brad-
First of all: Mom is always right! And commercial concerns are as valid as artistic ones.... --cuz if you starve to death, you can't paint the next one! :)

Second: As a teenager I painted and built the following Aurora kits:
Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Phantom of the Opera, the Forgotten Prisoner, AND the Guillotine (which I made functional) --and that was in Germany, mind you. There was just ONE store in Hamburg that carried them, and to which I carried my allowance every month.

And last: I am so glad to hear you have a good printer, that is sooo important!

T

On 2009-04-13 13:06, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Aloha Tiki Tribe!
little lost tiki - Ha, you are mean to anyone!

bigbrotiki ~ I just had a chat with someone about the dead bird. Paint it in or leave it out? If I put it in, the painting becomes a sudo-eco statement about evasive species in the Hawaiian Islands and the depletion of the native bird population, or even an urge to make sure your cat is spade or neutered to help with the feral cat problem on the islands.
If I leave the dead bird out, The painting becomes a little more accessible to the common viewer, and hopefully then, an image that would sell more prints. You see, I was having this talk with my mom, and my print sales go to help her financially. So, for mom's sake instead of the native Hawaiian bird's plight, the dead bird will not be painted in, but will perhaps be addressed in a future painting - after my mom's retirement is more secure.
Her argument was something like "Do you see Thor painting dead birds? No, you don't. Why? Cause who'd buy a painting of a dead bird?" :) (Mom is a total hoot!)
And... Thank you, I am deeply honored to have you compare me to one of my all time low-brow art heroes Mark Ryden. Wow, that really made my day! Jeeze I can feel my head swelling! These last two paintings sure have been influenced alot by Ryden's work. And, I got a really great printer. His reproductions are so spot on, I can retain the image. It's not exactly the same as the original, but it's close.

[ Edited by: teakey 2009-04-13 13:10 ]

If my vote counts for anything I say paint a bird. Why a bird? All great paintings are more than just something pretty to look at. To be able to paint a great looking painting may only take a skilled hand. Now great art should also contain a reason or thought provoking questions. This type of painting would need a skilled mind and hand.

I thought of the dead bird meaning one of two things which would be up to the viewer to decide (two sides for me at least). Did the cat, who dresses sharply and plays a sunset ukulele, kill the bird and now plays a remorseful song before the feast? Feels sorry for the things he must do to live. Or was this loving feline a friend to the bird? Just found him dead and performs a song of sorrow and drinks to a fallen friend. In any direction, I don't really want to know the correct answer.

You asked the question would Thor paint the dead bird and I too don't think he would. When I think of Thor's work, I think of Thomas Kinkade (the painter of light) for his great detail to habitats in beautiful landscapes. I'm saying this in a good way cause some great "low brow" artist hate Kinkade but Thor uses creativity that Kinkade doesn't.
Would Mark Ryden paint the dead bird, absolutly. If you haven't checked out http://www.markryden.com to see the new snow series, its worth a look. He is certainly edgey. A nude girl who looks like she could be in her low teens. And yes I buy all his work if I had the cash.

Something you could do, I love all the progress shots that you post and in doing so, I've gazed at your work longer than other Tiki Central painter or Mark Ryden painting times ten. I think each progress shot is a worthy painting in itself. What you could do is make prints of a non-bird version and half the run in the thought provoking bird version. Either way, you still have your first sell here.

What?

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2009-04-13 19:14 ]

Okay, the zoom in on the cat's eye and the way you presented it kinda freaked me out too. Shivers-inducing.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
SAM! ~ Yes, you CAN see them in all cat's eyes if you gaze into them long enough. Like when you wake up in the middle of the night, and you can see them mere inches away from your face as the cat is laying on your chest watching you sleep.
Suburbanpagan~ Big Mahalo! I appreciate your very kind words.. it's really nice to hear validation like this.
Bigbrrotiki~ Oh my Aurora Model kit Brother! My thanks for your thoughts. I too was hiking to the hobby store with allowance money in my pocket - but in the wilds of Nebraska.
teaKEY~ Thanks for the heads up on the new Mark Ryden work. I just got his Tree Show book, and the book that's all in Japanese. The Snow Yak Show is very strange and beautiful - as is all Ryden's work! Yes, Mark would put in a dead bird. And a naked nine year old girl. And an old toy animal.

And thanks to both of you for the considerations.

I did think of doing two versions. Paint in the dead bird - have the painting scanned in for prints. Then paint out the dead bird and have it scanned again for a second "G-rated" version of prints. It's a strange idea, who's strangeness alone makes it appealing to me. However, I'm not sure if I can sustain the creative thrust on this long enough to do all that. It's almost done, if I don't paint in the bird. Perhaps I finish, go on to the next one, then I can always come back and paint in that bird after I sold some prints.

Other news - I submitted to SPECTRUM: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art again this year. I submitted five pieces and one got excepted into the competition, and thus will make it into the book! Yippee! What got in?

"Bela Lugosi has a Zombie"

Robb Hamel ~ Thanks Robb, glad to creep you out!

Here's the bit more... almost done...
Drink, and whiskers, and ground...

Oh yeah, Show 69 of Cocktail Nation is called "Diga Diga Doo"! You can listen to me a Koop talk about that piece a bit.
http://www.cocktailnation.net/

B~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-14 11:31 ]

BT

Those are sweet.

Where does Zombie Legousi shop anyway? I want a shirt like that.

Badd Tiki - Thanks! There is a secret to this Aloha shirt that has yet to be revealed.

"Bela Lugosi Has A Zombie"

As was pointed out to me, and forgive me for not mentioning, this painting is known to the Tiki Tribe by another title: It's "Tiki" title:
"Otto Von Stroheim Has A Zombie."

Aloha~

B

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!

the textures r perfect!!!!!

alohas, t

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 14, 2009 11:58 PM

You may already have fixed this, but you need to put a little shadow under the tiki mug to tie it down to the ground. It's popping out of the picture right now.

T

HEY ALL...I had to jump in the Dead Bird thing here, since my name was mentioned!!! It's a really interesting subject!!

First...as always, FANTASTIC work Brad!! You are a truly masterful painter and Illustrator. I can't say enough great things. Wanted to say hi here too!

GREAT feedback from Teakey and Bigbrotiki, by the way. Well Here's my thought, for what it is worth.

Subject matter for art is something I always ponder each time I paint. I have to decide what I want to say..and what I can expect in result from the viewer. I recall at Imagineering, we were told that Walt would always tell the designers. "Before you draw a thing...ask yourself one question, WHO IS MY AUDIENCE ?" If I want to paint something and make an impact as an "artist", and not concerned with things like the nasty old words "marketability" or "commercial potential", not to mention offending anyone..etc...Well my imagination is unleashed like nobodies business. In this case, the ultimate goal is GET A BIG REACTION to my art. Many great painters had this goal alone...and not concerned with their work's marketability or who looked at it. This is valid and can produce powerful art. Will it sell more than one time as an original? Often not. But..that goes with the risk of such unfettered freedom and is to be accepted. Mark Ryden, from early in his career always impressed me as a guy focused on fine art and very "painter" in personality and goals. He seemed to want to be recognized by his art in shows, where subject matter was very open. The commercial value for him came as a secondary thing So...we might be comparing apples to oranges. It's as fine line.

I, personally consider myself more an "Illustrator" than a painter. But I recall that debate as to other artist, more noted than I, who were often labeled as both. Norman Rockwell was such a case. He was the "great American Illustrator"..but my Lord, the guy could paint!! He is also a highly collected artist..for his "paintings". So..I think deserves to be called a great painter too. But, he was always thinking of marketability and his viewers as well as the things he felt like painting. He was influenced by many of the dutch Realists and classic painters before he studied Howard Pyle, N.C. Wyeth and the other Illustrators he was inspired by. Anyway, I am getting off subject a wee.

I see Brad as both a great painter and an Illustrator that is always thinking of who will see his work (audience) and how his work can support his career, not JUST get a reaction. So, in this case, I can see how a dead bird would certainly be a powerful image to get response...even if negative. But I support his choice to leave it out based on his goals as I interpret them. Now, if I were an art buyer that said to Brad, " HEY Brad...I want you to express yourself!! Shock me...Make me laugh till I pee or am so horrified I want to climb under a rug for a week. Price is no object!". That being the objective, I guarantee Brad would paint that dead bird and a LOT more that we may not be able to even post on this site for our virgin eyes to behold". LOL! (That's a compliment, Brad.)

Anyway, I feel art has to always be looked at in the context of what the artist's intentions are...the expectations. But again, this is why art is so fun and fascinating to me. It's often not what I try to say in my work that interests me..it's what others see in it that keeps me interested. I would much rather hear other people's narration of what I painted than my own. I have heard a few people use comparison of me to Thomas Kinkade and I am not at all offended by that, but Thomas has never been an inspiration in the least ( No offense Thomas!!..I know we are both Art Center College Alum!) . "Painter's of light" and glowing windows and light radiating in a high contrast painting were born in the times of the early realist masters...it's really not a thing Kinkade invented at all, or I. The term "painter of light" is really just a good example of a well advertised marketing phrase and an artist that is more heavily commercialized than any other in our time..so he becomes associated with the light phenomenon and effect. Well if Kinkade can be the "The painter of light..", dog gonnit, I paint with flaming rum, so Maybe I can be..... " The lighter of paint", instead! lol! (just joshin')

Sorry if this was too wordy. I don't mean to take up Brad's thread here talking about my meandering thoughts and apologize in advance. My name was mentioned, so I felt inclined to comment. Great work Brad!!! Hello to Teakey and Bigbrotiki...Great thoughts!! Now, back to my coffee and painting..I need to shut up and stop procrastinating!!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Bigtoe ~ Thanks! It was so good to hang with you and LLT while I was in LA. Can't wait to do it again sometime!

Grog ~ Yep! That's the ticket! Thanks Mr. Art Director!

THOR ~ Thanks for the long and thoughtful response. And the great complements about my work! :Really, I am honored. It's always a treat to hear other artist's perception of the creative process, and the art world. Especially folks who's work I greatly respect.
This is the big question of our times: Art vs illustration. Or it WAS the big question of the times when I was coming out of school and into the work world - in the 80's.

When I was in collage, I was told I wasn't an artist I was an illustrator and didn't belong in a "Fine Art" class. I wanted to paint monsters and tikis and I was unteachable. So, foolishly, I believed the stuck-up a-hole professor who told me that, and I shied away from gallery painting and went into commercial art. The "Fine Art" world of the 80's was all nonrepresentational or photo-realistic.

It wasn't until the 90's that Robert William's unbending will made the underground surge of "Low Brow Art" something for the "Fine Art" crowd to finally consider worthy. Now, artist's like Todd Schorr and Mark Ryden's cartoon-like figurative works are collected by museums and go for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Ryden's "Tree of Life" painting was reported to have sold for over $800,000.00. What's so thrilling about that (for me) is not the sheer amount of money, it's the sheer amount of respect for that style of art that was considered unworthy 20 years ago.

Today we live in a world were Art and and Illustration are blurred together. No one can tell you whats what. Anything goes in an ART gallery. "Low Brow" magazines like Juxtapoz and Hi Fructose sell as much as "High Brow" magazines like American Art Collector.

There will never be 100% acceptance for Low Brow art from everyone in the Fine Art world. And I'm glad about that. I don't want to paint for everyone. I want to paint for the people who, like me, love Low Brow Art. Specifically, I want to paint for people who appreciate tiki culture. Tikis, Bela Lugosi, cartoon cats.

It's the cultural icons that we grew up with painted with the respect that was only previously given to biblical or religious and political figures, or "serious" material. To me, this is serious material. Sven Kristen's "Tiki Modern" is like my bible. It's icons and images are worthy of every ounce of artistic effort I can muster.

However, I do want to pay the rent. But, I don't want to sink into the realm of "Tourist Art" and end up painting waves and whales. There are thousands of artists here in Hawaii painting landscapes and seascapes and dolphins. They are all very good, all better then me, and all look exactly alike.

That's a whole other conversation. "Tiki Art" vs "Tourist Art".

For now, back to finishing the cat.

Whiskers in. Just how to treat the ground is still bouncing around my head. But, I will watch the shadows and make sure things look like they are resting on the ground. Working on the drink.

All great stuff! Thanks guys!
B~

Boy!
you shore kin paint dem whiskers!

You're right about the artist/illustrator observation....
Explains why a lot of lowbrow artists seem unfocused and confused sometimes...

You and Thor both are illustrators,but mainly fine artists
because your work speaks
loudly,when printed on paper
Super Loud when viewed in person
(by "loud" i mean the impact/drenched with feeling
one gets when standing in front of an original painting...

I say keep the bird
he is necessary to what your original intention was
so a lot of the core feelings remain in that concept...
That whole "communicate what YOU really want
vs the consideration of the audience
(ie: artist vs illustrator)
can be balanced by most
and you and Thor both
seemed to have nailed it!

Now let's see that birdy!

Congrats on the Spectrum acceptance again!
thanks for representing Tiki to the masses!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-04-16 08:05 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
LLT~ Thanks so much for the interesting critique. I take everything into deep consideration, and especially the words from my fellow tiki artist's - who inspire me - like you!

I was working on the ground again last night, but now think I have an idea how I want to finish it.

Big Mahalo!

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

The finished article is fantastic. I enjoyed the chill.

Glad to hear you were accepted for the next Spectrum. The printing quality on the last one was a little bit flat, probably from over-cooked vividness (not your doing - my years in advertising are showing, sorry). What I liked was how unlike everything else yours was. A very deserved honor. Congrats.

Aloha tiki Tribe~
Robb~ Thanks. Getting in SPECTRUM 15 was very fun. And, yeah, I noticed how much "brighter" my pallet was in general than the other pieces. Wasn't sure they picked the best piece - but heck, I'm happy to have been in it. Now, this coming November I feel they picked a better piece for SPECTRUM 16. I think the "Bela Lugosi" piece will hold it's own better when compared to other work of other artists, and it may actually get reproduced larger as it's a more standard shape. (dare I hope for a whole page to myself? Naw, better not get my hopes up)

"Tiki Cat"
Acrylic on Canvas. 22" x 30"

Now it's really done. For now. Check out the final work I did on the umbrella and cherry. If I can get ahold of my printer I may varnish it and take it up north this morning for scanning in for future print creation.

Mahalo for watching the paint dry!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 20, 2009 7:58 PM

Hey mate, the finished article is sweet. I love watching your paintings progress as you build them up from a blank canvas. Cant wait to see the next one!

Oooh! Wow. This is one of the threads I've been lurking in for a while. Missed the last few posts though I think, and the finished piece is amazing. I'm always blown away at how you can incorporate so many bright colors and still make them hum in harmony. Love the sky in this one especially, and the trees, and the background in general... and the cat. Ahh. I love the whole thing. Nice work!

Hey!
You forgot somethin!
:lol:

YAY!
great painting!
What's next?

T

On 2009-04-21 08:39, little lost tiki wrote:

Hey!
You forgot somethin!
:lol:

Ahh, a sleeping bird. Must have fallen asleep watching the paint dry and listening to the ukulele.

No need to start a new painting if you don't want to just yet. After a great achievement, it feels good to sit back, reflect, and smile.

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
Hewey~ Thanks, I'm glad your digging the slow reveals of my process. It's a bit scary posting it up half way through when you know it doesn't look right yet, and it's all half way crappy.
Travellin' Tiki~ Thanks Heather! wow, I really like hearing such nice things from someone who's work I LOVE! I'm always tormented with the color schemes. I mean... orange and pink and green are very scary to mix together. When it was finished it is still too new in my mind, and I keep looking at the colors and thinking "Oh my gawd, what have I done?!" I'm sure that will go away as I move on to the next piece. I'll look back at it and not see only the mistakes.
LLT~ Dude! did you kill the little bird just to get me reference! OMG! No, I know you wouldn't do that. (But If so, could you snuff one that had a bit more yellow in it, and shoot it from a slightly lower angle. Thanks.)
TeaKEY~ HA! Yes, most clever cats on the big island use ukuleles to lull their prey to sleep. It's a common hunting technique here. Well, who knows, I got some sketches for the next few paintings. I have this total "Aurora Monster Model" set up theme going still. It's like the paintings could be box cover art for a nonexistent line of "Exotica Creatures of Mythic Hawaii" models.

These are artist proofs. Meaning, smaller prints done while I have the printer adust the color and saturation till it's just right.

big Aloha from the Big Island!

Robb~ Thanks. Getting in SPECTRUM 15 was very fun. And, yeah, I noticed how much "brighter" my pallet was in general than the other pieces. Wasn't sure they picked the best piece....

I thought your pallet was excellent on the SPECTRUM piece, the choice was great, and liked how different it was - I just think your pics on here looked a little better and more natural than their printing job. My only problem with SPECTRUM is that they have so much art that shows major cross-pollination, like how so many artists in JUXTAPOZ still look like Ryden, Biskup, etc. Yours was boldly refreshing, and will be this time too.

Robb,

Thanks man. I was always fraid I'd look like everyone else. I thought I was going to look like THOR, or Todd Schorr, or Mark Ryden. I mean, I was trying to! I figured it's a good way to learn to paint. Then, I realized I couldn't look exactly like them if I even tried - somehow that thing called "individual style" creeps out no matter what you do. Especially if I'm painting from made up material... meaning not only working from photographic scrap, but winging some imaginary thingie in there too.

I guess the big fight is then becoming at peace with how each of our individual art "style" looks.
That, and being more careful to not mix orange and green too much.

Love the velvets! Can I ask, how much are original Velvets going for? ( you can PM me on that) I gotta thank you for something. I'm just starting to do "printed beach towels". I was too intimidated to even start designing them. Then it hit me. I gotta think of the beach towel as a black velvet canvas... and create a painting on it! Actually the best design came out more like the old "black velvet black-light" posters I loved in the 70's.

I think it worked, because we just got an order for 5,000.00 of "Lady of the Lava". Of course we'll see if the factory completey screws up the order or not and we end up making any money on it... or not. But, the cool thing is: a whole bunch of tiki images will get out into the world!

R U going to enter SPECTRUM this coming year? Please do! Me and Ken are trying to round up Tiki Artists and make an assault on main stream culture by getting as many TC artists to enter. So far it's me, Ken, and Big Toe for sure. I'd love to see a black velvet in there! They've NEVER had black velvet painting represented!

I also want Crazy Al to enter! There is a "dimensional" catagory. A hand carved tiki would blow their minds!

Mahalo from the BI
B~

Obviously your work doesn't look like anyone else's!

"Orange and green" - lol.

I super-dig "Lady of the Lava."

Thanks for mentioning SPECTRUM, I've only vaguely thought about it, but I think I'll give it a swing with your encouragemnt! The only problem is the quality of my pics - I've only have a pocket camera to use and all my stuff is in California. Hmmmmmmmmm....

Robb is such a picture snob...
get thee in Spectrum!
Al in the 3-d category........
gonna blow some minds out there!
They're gonna be amazed at a fully-formed genre of art
right under their noses...

The towel does have a Blacklightish effect!
Very cool that you're able to do the art first
and then incorporate it later into cool stuff for us peeps!
Awesome!

Saw your mug sculpt in this month's Tiki magazine
very excited for you!

"Fully-formed genre"...if only people knew....

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

Here's a sketch for the next painting. It's a tiki standing next to a rift in the lava rock - with a glow from lava from deep down underligthing him. Glowing sunset behind him, of course. Mysterious tiki hut with flickering torches in distance. Dramatic sea cliffs. This will be in a looser style, like the Tiki of the Blue Pool.

M
mp posted on Mon, Apr 27, 2009 12:22 AM

Tiki Shark, Hi I'm MP. I'm new to TC, and I've been trying to visit everyone's art threads.
You do killer work. Your style takes a lot of hard work. I love all the colors and cool details. I'm going to look more when I can. MP

Brad, thanks for the thanks, & for the peek into your mindset as you first started thinking about Tiki art.

i look forward to seeing your crazy techniques poured into this piece, Brad

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Robb~ Big mahalo for being here. I don't know if I'd be making art with out the support of my fellow "modern tiki culture" artist friends here on TC. We're thousands of miles apart, scattered across the world, best thing about the internest is we can look over each others shoulders at our sketches and paintings.
mp~ Welcome and aloha! Thanks for the knid words!
TD~Thanks, I'm gonna use a loose technique on this one, at least on the back ground bits.

Started the new one late last night.

RH

Brad - you been workin' out?

You look like you could crack walnuts between those shoulder blades.

Aloha Tiki tribe!
Robb~ Yeah, it's basic art exercise resistance weight training. You start with smaller brushes, like 000 or 00, do some warm ups. Then, slowly work your way up to heavier brushes like 2 or 3. But I'd never touch a 4 gage brush with out wearing a "weight belt" first, and always remember: warm up slow and do a good stretch afterwords. :)

http://www.artandcultureonmaui.com/
Hey, check out pages 14 to 17. Me and some guy named Sam Gambino got some ink!

Here's what the canvas looks like now. Still roughing in dark and light areas.

Big Mahalo!

Simply beautiful cat painting Brad - What fine art museum will that one be hanging in? :wink:

SAM~ Hey thanks, and it was totally an honor to be with you in the same article in "Tiki in Arts and Culture on Maui magazine"! If that lounge has your art up on the walls, it MUST be hip!

So far, the cat is hanging in "the Jungle Room" in my own home. Had no inquiries on him yet. However, there are talks that Tiki Cat may be used as album art for one of the hippest and coolest, (and one of my personal favorite) neo-exotica bands.

Here's the work from last night...

Still roughing in light and darks, the wave, the tiki hut...

Mahalo!

BT

gonna be killer as usual.

About that towel though. Do you work for BG, or just doing a design? You said 'we ordered' and something about design(S).
Anyway, that design is sweet, I want a towel.
Might have to keep an eye out online as body glove surf stuff isn't big in the rocky mountains.

Badd Tiki~ Thanks so much. That made me feel real good, after I had a crazy morning!

My computer went down! YIKES! My connection to the rest of the world - down! That scared da heck out of me! Being with out my computer made me very aware that I'm on an active volcanic island in the middle of the ocean. The most remote land mass in the world. With out the net, I'd be completely lost. No Tiki Central? No Tiki Tribe connections? I couldn't do it! Yes, I love all the natural splendor, the tropical paradise, the VOG... but I gotta be connected to the underground culture too.

I wanna say thank the Tiki Gods for Tiki Central and the NET! (And I gotta get a new computer!)

Body Glove...

When the towels are done (fiongers crossed all sgoes well) we will have them up for sale on our web site and/or on Body Glove's web site. Plus, some stores somewhere.

We have worked with a lot of surf brands, but we mostly keep our relationship with Body Glove.
Body Glove, let me jaw a bit about this surf brand - and why we love it and them.

We, meaning my small company Tiki Shark Hawaii inc, are a official license of Body Glove. We are the beach towel license. There's some other company which is the Body Glove wet suit license. And another that's the Body Glove apparel license. All in all, Body Glove is made up of several licenses, all separate companies all over the world, making different things. Body Glove's main head quarters is in Redondo Beach - one block from the waves. They manage the licenses, put together the Professional surf team, and do cool promotional stuff, and help us handle any legal stuff. Body Glove ( the main office ) is still mostly run and owned by the Meistrell family - of the original founders, Bob and Billy Meistrell, and their sons, plus some great savvy folks who live by the beach. But, really, that's it. The people running the company are "beach folk" - love surfing - love the sea - and are such good, down to earth folks you can't believe it. They are a pleasure to work with. There are two big custom carved tikis in the lobby when you walk in the Redondo beach office. These are people who get surfing and get tiki.

Billy Meistrell (jr) has a vacation place called "The Tiki Shack"! Really! When he's here in Kona, we look for tiki stuff to decorate it with. I'm happy to have some of my tiki art up on it's walls - but it's also a crash pad for the surfing and wake boarding teams so it's not "swanky", more "shack". Surfers party hardy, and the tiki shack has to be able to handel it. But.. still very TIKI!

One of the founding brothers Bob Meistrell is still alive, but sadly his brother Billy passed away a few years ago. Last year some of the home office folks (plus uncle Bob) were here in Kona, and I had the supreme pleasure to go snorkeling with uncle Bob. He's a living legend in the "water" world. Like really, dude! He's in every "Hall of fame " that's got to do with surfing, or diving and such. He's surfed everywhere. He's dived everywhere - and with every sea creature you could imagine. He's raised ship wrecks from the ocean floor! This guy freaking INVENTED the wet suit! AND, he's the nicest, coolest guy you could meet. ( and as you can guess has a LOT of stories.) Anyways, I couldn't get over it the whole time we were in the water - I'm snorkeling with Uncle Bob the founder of Body Glove!!!!! - it was one of those "life experiences" that I will always cherish. (okay, I'm a sea nerd)

A lot of the surf brands have become big. And by big, I mean they are huge corporations run in a corporate manner.
When you work with them most have very little "family" feeling or even "beach" feeling. Now, when a company gets big, this happens. It's normal. But, it seems to me - in my gut - when I see kids running around wearing what they think is a symbol of a cool beachy gritty surf brand when in reality it's just a big corporate logo, er... well.... Heck, it just reminds me that wall street knows how to market to the youth of the world.

Anyways, I'm not dissing any brands. They make cool designs. But Body Glove is the last of the original surf brands. They connect back to the time of the first wave of Tiki culture.

Blah Blah Blah... sheesh where'd all dat come from?
Less Talk more paint!

So, here's what I paintined last night...

Still roughing in the darks and lights...

Big Mahalo from the Big Island!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-05-05 21:24 ]

TD

the new piece is lookin so cool, brad

Diggin the rougher style
in fact, i fall into the "Vog God" everytime i gaze at it
when i wake up! Looks like you're branching out and mastering
varied styles even more than before!
This one feels like it will be done A LOT faster than the Kitty Cat!

Get thee a new computer!
We need our brad!

Having worked for two big surf companies
They're either FULL-ON corporate
or Family Style
Hawaiian Island Creations was total Ohana
Very Tight Family atmosphere when i was there!
I do love the irony of "hardcore" local rootsy kids wearing corporate product!
what a bunch of suckers!
Suckers that payed daddy's rent for 15-some years! :lol:

Stoked you're putting some lava in this one....
you do good lava!

Thought of you during the Nooner
and wished you were here....
Oasis?

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
TD~ Thanks, lets see how it comes out.
LLT~ Yeah, some off and on problems with my computer. It's working for now... I had to order a part. It'll take a few days to get here.

Here's where the painting's at. Messing with some color choices.

aloha!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies