Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

BT

I haven't bought a magazine to post all over my wall since I was a teenager. But I'd do it with that one if I could get it. (but I might also feel really bad tearing it apart)

V

Awesome art on the french Kustom magazine. It is still available in some places, I've seen it today at my local newspaper stand near Paris !
Really big covering of your art here with Kustom mag, I hope it gets you a bigger public, you deserve it.

Congratulations on your show B-rad!!!

Your pieces looked great in that gallery!

HAPPY HAWAII-HULA-WEEN Tiki Tribe!!!!!!
Swamp Fire - Thank you so much! I am in SHOCK... really... thrilled. Never thought I'd be here. Museum event... sell out... it's sorta blown my little art brain.
little lost tiki - Oh... dood... what a battle in the studio it's been lately. I think I forgot how to paint! Post mega show come down! didn't know what I was doing! didn't know if I was an artist any more! Didn't think I'd ever make anything any one would ever want to purchase again. Wow... now I understand the creative cycles a bit more... higher the high - lower the low!
Badd Tiki - I know! I got mine bagged and hanging on the wall just cause I'm still lovin' the look of the bagged package still!
virani - So kool you found it on the stands! in FRANCE! I'm still in awe of the great package Charlie and crew at KUSTOM put together.
Sneakytiki - Big Mahalo! It was a epic moment for me showing there - We were nervous about how my work would sell...now my agent is muttering that it was so darned easy to sell every-freakin-thing that I better get some more work out pronto! Well in about 2 more years I'll have enough for another big show...
So tiki tribe art fans... this painting...sheesh... it's has been a huge battle! I re-painted the sky about a hundred times! layers and layers of over painted work. Now it's basicly roughed in color tones.
I was stuck. Art block.
I thank the spirits of Hula-ween for kicking me through the door. My agent/partner, Abbas, got great seats to a live performance of Rocky Horror at the Aloha Theater - all the shows were sold out, but we got two canceled seats , 4th row aisle. amazing. the show freakin' rocked! There are a lot of tiki tribe folks who are counter culture on the big Island, and something like a live Rocky Horror sends everyones Freak-flags flying even higher than usual. Great show. Best bit: Frankfurter (played to the ultra-max by a full on Mahu!) singing "I'm going home" and strutting out into the audience and sitting in Abbas' lap. What a freakin hoot!
Problem: It was two ideas fighting for plac on the same canvas. I finally worked out one would have to wait for another canvas to all it's own.

Lounge name is "Cat o' Nine Cocktails"

Me Likey! its gonna be a winner! is my guess.

Looking great! I know I should not anticipate what your background will be, but something about a simple flat horizon appeals to my eye right now!...

As to the creative block or insecurities...someone with your talent will always find some way to overcome that! I'm sure you'll do fine with this one....so many nice elements already, especially that big cat face! I'm stuggling like hell with my latest painting. Took some time off from it and knocked out 3 small pieces...did some good, but not exactly the help I needed but I'm back at it!

The mag spread is SERIOUSLY impressive - it's more like a mini-portfolio.

HAPPY HAWAII-WEEN Tiki Tribe!
Atomic Tiki Punk Mahalo, I hope so!
zerostreet - thanks...it's getting there...
Robb - I agreed when I saw it, I was a bit shocked. - yes, I'm honored they spent such an extensive part of the mag on my work.
So, I work up this morning, and found there in the Sunday paper, in the "at home, living with style in west hawaii" supplement is this:

Table of contents
Lower left - no I don't usuall paint in the front yard, but I thought it'd be funny for the paper.

pg 1

pg 2 - movie props I designed from "Jeeper's Creepers"

pg 3

pg 4
Well, it was a hoot finding that as a Halloween treat!

ALOHA AND HAPPY HULA-WEEN TIKI TRIBE!
Now, more important Halloween treats...

Here's the painting thus far. Lots still to go, but got a nice feel to the forground.
ALOHA
Brad~

Swank pad there Brad!
and Kudos on all the coverage!
i didn't know you've become a plein air painter
ala front yard! :)
The new piece is strating to gain that Parker realism little by little
it's like that vehicle is driving on lava!
Looks like you're fully re-charged!

So, seeing the comment at the top of the web site I think I need to say this:
I love the tiki tribe, and I love Tiki Central - I think it's help make a lot of modern tiki culture happen. International connections via the net... a brave new world for us who dig this sub culture.
If it wasn't for the love and support I feel coming off this site I don't think I would have had the courage to be doing the art I'm doing. Big Big aloha to you all!
little lost tiki - that's the scariest Halloween yard decoration I could think of this year...
well it's a slow process on this one... still sketching out the feel of the city areas... but thanks... parts are finally getting to feel good.
Really thought I had forgotten how to paint. Biggest ALOHA and MAHALO to you my friend!

Halloween sunset from Kailua Kona - Aloha and Happy Hula-Ween Tiki Tribe!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's the latest so far.... working up some of the waikiki/cartoonville bg.

Aloha tiki Tribe!

Here's the over view so far.... still working on the sky

Here's the art of the wacked out Waikiki that comes outa my mind

Here's a closer look at the Lava foreground

Mahalo!
B~

Mahalo!
B~

Looking good Brad! With this and Faster Than Disaster you seem to be creating this otherwordly-noir-tiki city that I think is amazingly interesting! Feels like there is an immediate, built-in subtext to the city! Hope to see more of that!

ALOHA tiki tribe!
Zerostreet - yes, there is something about seeing Waikiki at night that has left an impression on me that keeps coming up... mixed in with a pulp / Kustom world.

Here's a over view... getting the sky a little more under control.

Here's a closer look

ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Working on a Hollywood gig, so not full on Painting time right now...

also catching up on an :"artist's re-mark" giclee order. touching up "Moon of Manakoora"

Here's the one-of-a-kind re-mark.

ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Well, big news. Parker Art Souvenirs!

Just back from Maui...
We (me and my partner in crime Abbas) been hunting around to find out which of the big Hawaii tourist /gift manufacturing companies would be the right people to partner up with ...IF I was going to put my art on tourist -gift -souvenir stuff.

First off, I wasn't even sure if I should. I thought maybe the artzy-fartzy galleries in the "ART WORLD" would not take my art seriously if I was available to everyone in calenders, cards, refrigerator magnets, stickers, luggage tags...all that stuff. Stuff anyone could buy, and not just originals and high end giclees. The originals are selling, The giclees are selling. Would I screw up a good thing?

Then, I thought about how I first discovered SHAG. It was a sticker. How did I first discover Frazetta? It was a calendar. How will anyone out in the regular world (who's not reading Hi Fructose or surfing Tiki Central) know about my art if they can't find it?

...and lots of really great Tiki Tribe folks have told me they just cannot afford the coconuts for high end art... especially right now. I didn't want my art only owned by rich folks. Our Tiki Tribe is born of from hunting through thrift shops for tiki mugs, and yard sales for Martin Denny records.

I also talked to the curator at "La Luz de Jesus" Gallery, Mattt Kennedy, about it. La Luz has been very helpful in promoting my art, and I respect Billy Shire and Matt's knowledge of the art scene. Basically, his wise words set me off on the lava rock road to see the souvenir wizard.

So... with the invaluable help of my agent/business partner Abbas, (he's the business end of the stick and I'm the wet paint covered art end) we talked to every distributor out here. Almost sealed the deal a a few times... but... things would go wrong. My art is not like the tourist art that sells in Hawaii. It's not dolphins. It's not whales. It... well you know what it is. And it scares the stores and galleries to try anything new or different.

However, we have finally found the right company. Pacifica Island Art. The owners are two dudes with a lot of aloha - who've been on Maui 20 years loving and living and making and selling products that are all about the Hawaiiana-vintage vibe.

This trip to Maui was to seal the deal!

This is a "Mock up" calender they showed us- not the real deal, yet. But we are so close now!

Right now, a little push might get things going even better... Tiki Tribe... if ya got a spare minute... if ya been hankering for Parker art at a price that won't drain your kalua-piggy bank... please, feel free to contact the fine folks at Pacifica Island Art and ask them which products might feature Brad Parker Art, and when they will be up for public consumption (at reasonable prices!)
http://www.islandartstore.com
The more they know there is a real part of the market of Hawaiian Art lovers out there that would groove on my strange "Poly-pop surrealistic" art, the faster we can get more stuff out in the world!
I can't wait to see my stuff in an ABC store, and I think there's a few of you out there that might dig that too.

Big Mahalo!

RIGHT ON,BRADley!
gettin your powerful paintings to the masses!
Spreadin the Tiki love throughout the World!
Sooooooooooo Stoked for you!
a long time comin
but you've EARNED it!
:)

M

You better hurry the end of the year is getting near... Pacifica island Art are good people. They do Calendars for my photographer friends the Sweets. What!? you were on Maui and didn't stop in? next time give us a shout and we'll take you to lunch!

-Rob

MauiTiki

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs http://www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers http://www.hippiestickers.com

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2010-11-18 21:17 ]

Right on! Congrats!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

LLT - thanks, I wasn't sure it was the right move, going commercial an all like dat, so thanks for the support in this. Can "low-brow" art sell out? Right now, all I now is I'll be excited to walk by the ABC store and see Tiki Cat or The Exotic Traveler. Still very curious how the average tourists will react.
MauiTiki - THAT'S good to hear. They seem like cool guys, and it's good hearing that from someone else too. And I trust your judgment. The business world is full of .. well folks out to make money. Which is fine, but you gotta watch the water for sharks.
Iokona Ki'i - Mahalo nui loa!

Lots going on. I was in a "Big Island Artists" show at the local Wyland gallery here in Kona. It's Kona, so sometimes events can be sparsely attended, but a whole bunch of my friends showed up and the place was packed - (free booze and pupus helped too I'm sure). BIG thanks to everyone who came by!

OK, back to makin' wit da' Poly-pop art! This one is now offically called "The Cat o' Nine Cocktails".

Here's a close up of the Tiki Bar

Here's a better look at the giant tiki. I'm making it part wood and part stone.

Gotta' get back to slinging some paint!

ALOHA!

Are those flying sharks? Cool!

You are such a fine talent. Your steps by steps are a treasured gift. Thank you. This is one of my favorites. Wendy

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
zerostreet - those are amuakua / shark spirits / clouds. I think.
danlovestikis ~ Thanks so much! I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Here's a closer look at the giant tiki so far....
Mahalo!

Aloha tiki Tribe!

Good news from the jungle drums..... the "Monsters on Vacation" post cards are one more step closer to making it to a ABC store on your next trip to HAWAII!

Here's the "digital proofs" to get the big OK before we order press proofs.

They look fantastic! Big Mahalo to Meredith Spence for making sure all the names are right, and all the colors are bright.

Still hard to believe! These are like NOTHING in the tourist shops in Hawaii.

"The Islander Group" is getting big aloha for being the brave ones who first thought my art wasn't too weird for the tourists. Still, we shall see.... what will happen when these post cards hit the stands? Will they be Hawaiiana Horror Hits? or "too edgy and weird" for the tourists?

ALOHA!

Hope you find your treasure in 2011...and onward!

B

Can't wait to get some Brad.. Those are awesome man...
ABC stores, what's that??? :wink:

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

It's out! This years new Edition "SPECTRUM 17: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art"

And here's my winning entry on page 238:" Diga Diga Doo"!
(I thought Tiki Cat would win, but I'm still darned thrilled! This is the 3rd year I won entry into the big Book!)

Okay, now time to enter in for next year!
Let's see, that's gonna be all the Monsters on Vacation paintings plus Faster Than Disaster!
Wonder what will grab the judges fancy?

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Had a great time at Sargent's Fine Art on Maui over the week end.
It was nice to be shown in the front gallery again!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Here's dakine so far.

Here's a closer look at da cat lounge dakine

Here's the start of the tiki dakine that will look sorta like the tiki dakine in dat old painting I did a few years back called "The Moon of Manakoora"

ALOHA!
B~

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Dec 15, 2010 2:56 PM

Stunning, Brad!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Sorry for the long time of no posts, but the change of the year brought all kinds of strange mojo with it. The Painting has changed several times in a weird reflection of all these things that eye don't need to bore U with here.

Here's where the painting is now.

Young lady going for an evening walk, or Madame Pele prowling her domain?

More texture made it's way onto the giant tikis... and the "Cat o' Nine CockTails" looks about open for business.

More to come!
Happy New Year!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2011-01-19 18:19 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's the painting so far...

Some tropical fish aumakua and or lanterns and or balloons have drifted into the scene...

And late last night I added to the "Tiki Bar" sign.

More to come!

Mahalo!
Brad~

ALOHA Tiki Tribe!

cover of KUSTOM #23 - THE MONSTER ISSUE!!!!

peek Inside

Bela Lugosi Has A Zombie - reprinted on page 5

Rare look at the sketch done for the painting.

And a nice shot of the classic Tiki & the girl!

Thanks KUSTOM - U RAWK!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2011-01-23 03:48 ]

M
mp posted on Wed, Jan 26, 2011 10:08 PM

Brad, the new painting is looking great.
Your style is unmistakable. Love the bright colors!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
mp~Thanks. I'm still learning what is too much color, or not enough... I'm glad folks are digging it awhile I still figure it out.

Here's it ...almost done! (finally!)

Saved best for last... the hot rod! Starting to work up the shine, and the reflections of a ghostly shark.
AND...

Here's a nice warm Kona Sunset for all you Tiki Tribe members not in the warmer weather zones.
H A P P Y A L O H A F R I D A Y !

I re-drew "Ghost-Tiki" for an art patron. I think he needs to go into a painting in the near future.

I agree,Brad!
great drawing there!
Lovin the Drama and lighting!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Thanks LLT! Your new shrunken head painting inspired me to push a little more on my own painting!

Here's the painting one step further. Still going at the car...working reflections and shine.

Here's a Closer peep.

ALOHA!
Brad~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's da' painting so far... still working out the car and other bits here and there

Altered some thing - the wheels, the grill. I'm not a great draftsman so technical precision is hard for me, like getting a car to look right. But, it's almost done.

More laters!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!~

Here's it so far... mere inches away from being finished. Still working on the reflections in the Chevy.

Mahalo!

That shark reflection on the car is so cool!

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2011 3:45 PM

The sharks are cool but I still liked Pointy head shark better and dug those black beatie eyes that sharks have. Like theirs no soul. Just looked at the tiki in strange places thread and kinda look like a faint skull in the back seat of the window area.

Looks almost done and nicely detailed throughout.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2011 5:17 PM

Well, My wife likes the round head shark better

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2011 5:18 PM

Well, My wife likes the round head shark better

Flying Angelfish and Shark reflections?!?!?!
Can it get any better!?!?!?!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies