Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Hey Brad- It's looking great! I like to see that wave the way it moves forward when looking at the progress shots.

Meheadhunter and SAM - thanks so much.

The wave is getting more interesting. More to come...
B~

B

Yes sir, that did it...it's really pulling together now Brad. CHOICE!

Aloha!
Babalu~ Oh thanks. ( edit: I really do appreciate your kind words... I was distracted this morning while writting this at first as I was on da phone with my dad.)

Working on the black sand beach...
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2009-06-21 17:36 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
FREE art print:

"Tiki Cat"
Limited Edition Giclee Art Prints
signed and numbered edition of 113
Reproduced on heavy "alure" paper.
Paper size: 16" x 20"

$100.00
Plus $8 shipping and handling

But..... listen to this episode of "The Cocktail Nation" and you can win it for FREE!!!!!!
go to http://www.cocktailnation.net and listen to the lastest episode. Koop interviews me and we give away a print of Tiki Cat!
Enjoy the exotica and lounge tunes...
B~

S
squid posted on Mon, Jun 22, 2009 1:55 AM

C'mon Brad. Just give me some free stuff! I'm nice to you! :D

Check my thread and see your next painting...

B

Hey Brad,

Maybe its all the Maori tattooing I've been studying lately, but when you added those circular lines in the ocean there, the painting as a whole, seemed to take on this underlying Moko that was that was separate, yet part of the main imagery. For me, this moko seems to emulate (read) up from the spirit hole through the painting in this wonderful upside down "L" shape...

EYE CANDY!!!

Squid ~ Now where's the challenge in that? However, you are on the top of the list when I get so drunk I just start handing out my art willie-nilly.
babalu~ Mmm! That's very interesting! I don't really plan out the paintings as completely as I guess I should. Half way through they always change... and they often take unexpected turns as things seem to become important or unimportant as it develops. These lines, I'm not sure exactly what their meaning is, if there is one, but I like your reference. ( Perhaps, I'll hope these moko set this piece apart from the lower ranking tiki art I usually create.)

Still seeking the meaning and the proper look of the sand, the lines, and adding in the ghostly balls of light. Swamp gas? departed loved ones? Old Christmas lights? You decide. More coming...

Big Aloha~
B

T

"Tiki Cat"

Just got my Brad Parker prints in the mail and it was like seeing the artwork for the first time. There is a nice wood grain on the ukulele that I never noticed. Plus you feel a sense of the artist throughout with how all the colors are applied. Quality of paper/ color are top notch.

teaKEY ~ Oh big big mahalo for that. It was a long weird day, and I really needed to read something nice like that. That really warms up me old rum soaked artist guts to hear such beee-utful words about me Polynesian puss. I wish you could see the original canvas, it's like a whole 'nother step beyond the prints. But yes, the pints came out sooooo nice. I'm very very happy with my printer. And I'm very happy you dig your prints.

Ah... new thing is being added to da painting... what is it? Good question... more coming....

Aloha B~

Aloha tiki Tribe~

more coming...

Mahalo
B~

Watching your thread is like getting the toy surprise out of a cracker jacks box....it is awesome to see things unfold in your paintings!!!

On 2009-06-25 14:52, Meheadhunter wrote:
Watching your thread is like getting the toy surprise out of a cracker jacks box....it is awesome to see things unfold in your paintings!!!

I agree...fun seeing the awesome creativity. I can barely draw a stick figure Tiki. :)

M
mp posted on Thu, Jun 25, 2009 10:56 PM

beautiful colors brad, I love the imagination in your work.

i donno, brad- i may sound like i repeat myself when i say this but
i think this is a new favorite!
your art hits a new level every piece

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Meheadhunter~ That's the best complement I've heard in a long time! The mask/spirit/tiki floating out out the dimensional hole was a surprise to me as much as any one, really! I'm just glad it seems to be working.
VampiressRN ~ Thanks so much!
mp - big Thanks!
TD ~ Oh, u know me, I never get tired of hearing that! but, I do try to push each one farther. It still feels like each painting is a lesson in how to paint.

creating the beach... more to come....

Mahalo!

Damn 'Shark - this is getting so zen! And I can feel the humidity!

C

Talking about personal paradises... i think you really know where you want to be... Thanks for sharing!

Oh!
What the HECK is that thing!?!?!

whatever it is... i likes it!

This one is getting deeper and deeper,Bradley!

Excellent!

Aloha!
Robb ~ Thanks Robb, hey this summer has been as humid as all heck. I was walking down on the beach, and the waves were really pounding. The air was so full of sea spray it was like walking in a sauna! My sun glasses were getting fogged over!
Clarita - Thank you. It's an interpretation of the paradise I live in I suppose.
LLT ~ Hey, I dunno. I just paint what I see. (But, I'm glad you dig it! That's all dat counts!) Except... er... this is a commissioned piece, and I don't know if my art patron has seen the strange turn this painting has taken. Hmmm...

Still more to come...

Big Mahalo....
B~

With the tikis hands outstretched like that, it's like he is summoning this otherworldly glowing spirit mask out of some sort of vibrating lava filled interdimensional portal....or maybe I'm just crazy!!:D
Regardless...This is turning out awesome!!:)

T
thick posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 4:05 AM

Geez, I really dig this one, the trees & lighting seem to have a before the storm feel, an impending something. The new thing adds to the SOMETHING IS HAPPENING vibe. Awesome man.

Aloha tiki tribe!
Meheadhunter - Thanks so much, I'm glad you dig it. You aren't crazy, I dig your explanation. This one certainly has a mysterious story going on, and I like how each viewer can decide what that story is. I'd tell you mine, but I don't want to stop anyone from creating their own personal meaning of what this painting is about.
thick - Big mahalo. Is a storm coming? Is it passing? While I was painting this, something big did happen to me, so I suppose it is reflecting in the piece. I'm happy you are digging it. Thanks!

Here it is. I am thinking of putting in foreground elements - flowering exotic plants. and far back ground elements - a star field. But, mostly the rest is finished. I think. I can go in and keep painting the sandy beach till dooms day, but the next painting ideas is looming and needs to start in the next few weeks.

Speaking of which, I'm getting off the island for the next ten days. so, there will be no posting till the 10th of July or so. don't think I fell in the volcano or got eaten by a shark, I'm just off visiting friends and Vegas.

Have a wonderful 4th of July tiki Tribe!
Big Aloha from the Big Island,
B~

Aloha~

This shot was taken in better light.

Mahalo!
Happy 4th!

SF

Brad, love that pinstripe, creature thingy.
Incredible as usual.

B

duuuuuuude,

looking sooooo good. the hale in the background looks so mysterious, the lil spirit coming outa the hole is insane and the beach is mind-blowing...looks like suerat on acid!!! or is that sewer-rat with acid???

BUMP!

Whatcha got going on there Brad?
this latest,as i've said earlier,is waaaaay off the hook
the colors
mood
lighting
subtlety
wunnerful!
so wunnerful!

Any sneak peeks on future projects?

ALOHA tiki Tribe!
Swampfire ~ Thanks so much! That's exactly what it is! Pin striping! So happy you dig it!
Big toe ~ On the BI we tend more tword 'shrooms. However, thanks so much, it's been fun letting this thing sort of paint itself. A reflection of some personal impacts on my life path an all like dat. I am debating on putting more lights in the hale or not...
LTT~ Big Mahalo tiki art brother! I'm finally back at the canvas, and putting in the last parts: the exotic plants/flowers in the foreground. (The fine and up standing art-patron who commissioned this piece has been sooooo patient!)
And perhaps a star field in the far distance.

Almost there...

Big aloha from the Big Island!
B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

Still painting in the exotic plants and orchids in the foreground. Thinking about the star field, and some more lights on the Hale.
Mahalo from the Big Island!
B~

:o ** STUNNING ** :o

Stars....Oh Yes, Stars!!!

Happy aloha Friday!
TD, Meheadhunter, Big Mahalo and we should be seeing stars this week end!

still working up the orchids....

more...almost done.
B~

I think I want to go live there!!

Great piece Brad! When it could be finished, you manage to kick it up another 10 or 15 levels!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Thanks Sam, I always try to push each piece up past where the last one reached. So, now I'm totally getting into rendering these strange exotic flowers... or are THEY the aliens? Hmmm... anyways, finishing this week end! Flowers, stars, and smoothing out some of the beach sand. And some more ghostly lights in the Hale.

more to come...

Have a great Saturday!
B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Last touches being put on this painting...

Here's a close up of the orchids on da right...

And here's some detail from the left...

Last day for finishing flourishes.

Havea great Sunday.
Aloha,
B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
It's Finished!

"The Exotic Traveler"
24" x 30"
acrylic on canvas

Detail bottom left - orchids

Detail bottom right - more orchids

Detail upper tight - da' mysterious hale

detail - da' wave

Big Mahalo from da' big Island
Brad~

APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!

Simply Beautiful,Brad!
them orchids just pop out of the canvas...
and the hale....
Yummy and dreamy!
makes me wanna go live there!

Another Spectacular piece!!!!

Very Nice.....The stars and the orchids give it a great sense of depth...very nice finishing touches...Great Job!!!!

B

Hey Brad,

I just wanted to jump in and mimic the guys that posted above me here.... This is really a special work...VERY nicely done. You Sir are one amazingly talented individual.

BRAVO!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jul 21, 2009 1:09 PM

I love it!

Brad -have you ever put any of your paintings under a color wheel to see the effect?
With all that color I bet this painting would just POP!

Uh-huh I love it. I'm inspired now to start a canvas..Thanks

LLT~ Mahalo Kenny! Hey I hear the rent on that mysteriously Hale is pretty reasonable... of course, no doors and windows and ghostly lights bobbing through all night long. Still, a very nice ocean view.
Meheadhunter ~ Thanks, yeah, funny how little dots suddenly read as a star field and push the sky way way back. I'm happy you dig it.
Babalu ~ Big praise coming from a such a talent as yourself - THANKS!
TikiG ~ Big Mahalo! I'm so glad I can be an inspiration. A few years back, seeing other artist's work on Tiki Central got me started on painting!
OK, had a few days recovering from the intense long hours of finishing up the last piece... now on to the next idea.

Sketch for "Jungle Witch" ... sort of a toy like take on it.

Then a bit more animated... and her conjuring up a magic potion.

Then, stepping back a tad to show more of her "band" as they jam on the beach while she makes her magic brew. Plus a few other folks in the neighbor hood looking in from the back ground.
Some more sketching till it's ready for the canvas.

Aloha from the Big Island!
B~

this one's gonna be good!
:)

On 2008-10-21 12:06, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Aloha Tiki Tribe~
TD~ Thanks, sorry there was a no posting period for a while. I was getting caught up on some day work.

Here's what's up on the new painting. Worked on the sky a bit. Doing warm light from the sun (some where above the picture plane) hitting the tops of the clouds. So I mixed yellow into white for warm highlights, then shaded down to some burnt umber, then a touch of purple. Finally the under belly of the clouds are tinted blue, being the cool shadows opposite the warm light source. At least that's the theory...so far...

bump :wink:

The new idea is gonna be great!!!
Seems octopus and drumming are a source of some serious inspiration lately :)

Common now, painting indivdual grains of sand. That's a little bit too much :D

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
little lost tiki ~ Big Big big Mahalo! Kenny, you are huge boost of artistic energy, like a can of Red bull for my creativity! Thanks Ken!
Big Hodad-dy Reid ~ Oh you are like the "ghost of unfinished art projects past"! Yes I know I still have to finish "The Wanderer", but right in the middle of it I realized I didn't like the whole lighting scheme, and it need a serious re-think on the light source. I need to make it a sunset, (like all my work right now) and I didn't have the mental metal to repaint it yet. I will. Also I think I got a little intimidated at each time I looked closer at the classic romantic painting I'm base-ing it on. So, I need a few canvases to get up to the level of rendering where I think I can do it justice.
Meheadhunter ~ Thanks, octopuses are very interesting. Like alien life forms right here on earth. Drum circles on da' beach are great fun and I've been in a few. Hope I can get that energy captured in the painting.

latest sketch - worked out who/what each tiki creature in the magic circle is. balanced out the back ground, and got a more witch-y look for the Jungle Witch.

Mahalo from the big Island~
B~

Oh yes!!
Drum circles are great fun...
I have one every month during warm weather season, and sometimes indoors during the winter here at the casa!!
I'm really likin' the theme to your new painting....
Music :music: ....The Universal Language :)
It will be really nice watching this painting progress!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies