Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

:)
thanks brad!
more!

B

OK ur busted Brad.

I NOW see how u r so proficient! there are TWO of u! And i have to say, it is a little creepy that u dress alike, right down to the same jaunty cap.

and regarding 'screwing up' the wanderer painting: the concept sketch is AWESOME!! the foreshortening on the surfboard is PERFECT and everything else just looks SO cool...i cant wait to see more progress...hell, i want that sketch to frame and put on my wall!!!!

mad alohas! tom

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
Hewey - Skull Island surfing - I dig it! A Surfer chick? Sheesh, it took me too long to work out the anatomy for the guy - now I gotta start again... too lazy. Anyways, da guy fits the source painting a wee bit more and I'd like there to be SOME visual recognition to Casper's piece. that way some folks (aka art nerds like me) will get the "joke".
Tikiduddy ~ Ha! Garth! Whoooooah!
LLT~ More being dished up!
Bigtoe ~ Whoops, the alien pod clone got in the shot. (Now I'll have to mind blank all you humans who saw that pic - hmmm, I'll send out mental signals that you should all drink rum till you can't remember seeing this blog.... Hey, I think it's working...on me!)

Hey Brad, just wondering here, what kind of Canvases do you use, as well as the Paints?? Curious because the Painting bug has been slowly creeping into my skin for a while now, and I'd really like to get back into it, but the only canvases I've used are those Cardboard backed FREDRIX ones back in High school. wondering if there's something better.

D

You're amazing how much will this masterpiece cost?

Yea!!
Damn, Brad! the hands pull it together tremendously
incredible

Thanks for the progress pics, Brad! The "way of the artist" is always intriguing! Looking fantastic, as usual!

J

I'm glad you took out the tikis in the surf. I think they cluttered it a little. The latest sketch is amazing! The hands look so real and I love that the tiki in the sky seems to be welcoming the surfer into the waters. I'm really looking forward to watching the progress of this one!

T

Awesome as ever Brad!!! Do you ever sleep?? lol You need to get out to Oasis next year!! We missed you man!!! Keep painting my friend!!!!!!

TiKiMaN77~ I buy the prestreched canvas at my local art store. We only have one art store in town, so it's waht ever they have in stock. they carry a few brands, but mostly I go in looking for a certain shape or size. I think I like the 24" by 30" size.
d0x08779~ Cost? U mean people pay for this stuff?
Tiki Duddy~ Thanks, yeah, the tiki god and the hands are making it feel more "low brow" and like something I can dig.
suburbanpagan ~ Big Thanks. I like the step by step I see on other threads on TC too!
Jentiki ~ Thanks. You're totally on the nose on that. I thought they un balanced the composition, and basicly made the surf look too dangerous.
THOR~ Big BIG Mahalo! Yeah, I really plan on getting to tiki Oasis next year. I can't think of a better time than hanging with you and the rest of the tiki art crew at that event!
I was just in contact with Otto, and we were talking about next year's theme - "Surf City". We're playing around with the idea of making a limited edition beach towel or something. Then #16 happened. So, guess I had the surfing theme implaneted in my brain.

D

Yes i tough you sell your paintings unless I would like to buy them (if i could)

On 2008-08-24 03:59, d0x08779 wrote:
Yes i tough you sell your paintings unless I would like to buy them (if i could)

Aloha~
My apologies my friend, I was just kidding around with you. I certainly do sell my paintings. This is my informal and relaxed "art-in-progress" thread, and I tend to goof around here a lot. I usually seriously sell my art over in the "Marketplace" section of Tiki Central. Hey, I'll send you a "Personal Message" and we can talk seriously about Painting #16 if you'd like.

As a mater of fact, if you're thinking of buying art..... I'll have three originals and one limited edition print at the Tiki Magazine art show at Planet Rooth Gallery in San Diego, Sept 13th. I'm actually leaving the big island and traveling there for the opening night. It should be fun.

Mahalo from the Big Island~

J

On 2008-08-24 03:53, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
I was just in contact with Otto, and we were talking about next year's theme - "Surf City". We're playing around with the idea of making a limited edition beach towel or something.

That thrills me to no end, and could be the straw that makes this camel go back to Oasis next year! I hope if you do the towels that you'll make an appearance as well! I can't make it to the TM show in September, but I'm totally looking forward to meeting one of my favorite TC artists in person someday soon!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE~
Jentiki ~ Sorry to hear you can't make San Diego. But, that's what's great about tiki culture: always another party to look forward to!

Finally got around to hand tinting one of the Waikiki Mystery prints. I love the antique feel of these!

Mahalo~

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Aug 26, 2008 7:07 PM

On 2008-08-24 16:47, Tiki Shark Art wrote:

Finally got around to hand tinting one of the Waikiki Mystery prints. I love the antique feel of these!

Mahalo~

DUDE! hand tinting rocks! WOWZA! God I need to get my shit together so I can get some of your art bro!

Kahu~ Thanks man!

Whew! Took like, all day to get the paintings wrapped up, bubble wrapped, and boxed up, and shipped off to Planet Rooth Studio Gallery for the Tiki Magazine show.

YAY!
a little over 2 weeks away!
Can't wait to catch up,Mr. Parker!

LLT~
Yeah! It'll be great to take a break and get off this smoldering volcano and see civilization for a few days! Counting the days! Of course, I'll be hanging with the Tiki Tribe, and how civilized is that?

Starting the washes, working out the stones heads a bit, still rethinking what the Big tiki in the sky will look like...

A hui ho!

Brad, this new piece is really special! I also love how the tiki is welcoming the surfer into the water, and the tikis lying below his feet.

You should make prints of this one, I would love to buy one for my bar, Hale Nalu.

I love watching the progress of this one, and am a fan of your other work.

I look forward to meeting you in person at the show in San Diego!

Dave Hansen

BT

On 2006-09-29 18:34, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Thanks -
Here's that drummer. One of these days I'm going to finish the whole card deck.

Wow, that is soooooooo cool! I want that card deck, please finish :D

(That pineapple fire pick would be a cool back)

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Aug 28, 2008 6:23 PM

On 2008-08-28 14:08, Lake Surfer wrote:
Brad, this new piece is really special! I also love how the tiki is welcoming the surfer into the water, and the tikis lying below his feet.

You should make prints of this one, I would love to buy one for my bar, Hale Nalu.

I love watching the progress of this one, and am a fan of your other work.

I look forward to meeting you in person at the show in San Diego!

Dave Hansen

Ditto! That looks to be an amazing piece Brad.

lake Surfer - Thanks! Well, I'd be excited to see a print of any of mine hanging in a tiki bar! Seriously, I think prints will happen with this one. It's take 3 to six months to actually happen, knowing how slow I go. I look forward to meeting you at the art show in San Diego!
Badd Tiki - Thanks! Sorry about the three year delay on the card deck. It's a project that's been put indefinitely on hold while other work ( and personal family stuff ) has moved forward to take up my time. I know I have to manage my time better and feed these hungry forgotten projects.
Kahu - Aloha and Mahalo Kahu!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 29, 2008 8:40 PM

Nice colors so far.

Nice!!
everything looks great, Brad!
~the waves are incredible and the surfer standing on the tikis is brilliant!

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
Grog - ah... Do u mock me, sir?!
TD - Mahalo for the kind words.
So, color color ... the bane of my art making! "the wanderer" is going to be a slow build of washes, starting with the raw umber to get lights and darks worked out. Then I lay in transparent color washes and build up. A real Todd Schorr treatment. Of course this will take a looooong time to paint. but I think I got some cool effects on the Tiki in the Vog when I layered wahses on it. I want to go for more of that.

Did some work on the other not to be fully seen yet painting last night. Sky stuff.

Aloha~

I

Hey, been awhile but always a treat to come back and see your work!

Color's a bane in my art, too--I so much prefer charcoal and pencil--but you do color wonderfully.

That surfer piece is gorgeous, sexy, and full of adventure! Can't wait to see it finished.

Take care,

I.

Ivan~ Thanks. Yeah, color theroy made easy is one book I refert to a lot.

D

Hey Tiki-Shark have you tough about this: after you finish you painting you separate each color,then give it a number.after that you just have to print the borders surrounding each color and they're numbers. Everything left to do is to give this thing a manual a pair of brushes and of course some paint with numbers again(some colors could be a mix between the basic paint colors so they're numbers must be like this 75/33 if the basic colors numbers are 75 and 33)

the idea is the customers to paint themselves the painting designs they have chosen

P.S. Click the pictures for bigger size

[ Edited by: d0x08779 2008-08-31 07:09 ]

[ Edited by: d0x08779 2008-08-31 07:33 ]

d0~ Paint by number? What a Hoot!
I used to Love those when I was a kid. It was like a magic trick as the image slowly would appear out of the chaos of lines and bits of painted areas. It was the act of painting without all the stress of having to pay attention to what you were painting. You know, making sure it was becoming what you wanted it to become. Making sure the lighting was correct, the texture was correct. Stress free art!

Well, art can be stress free, at times. Sometimes when your juices are really flowing, and you are in "the zone", it's like you are watching someone else paint. But, most of the time you have to focus alot.

Anyways, I don't know if I'd be able to figure out how to plan out a paint by number. Bet it's a lot more work than you'd think- which shade of what color goes where - then map out the outlines, make sure all the numbers are correct. Then manufacturing the boards, and paints and brushes, over seas cheaply enough so it makes financial sense. Shipping. Getting enough of them ordered to pay for manufacturing. Could be a very daunting project. You'd might want an order of at least 2 to 3 thousand before even consider taking something like that on.

I did work on a collecting "Pirate" coloring book a few years back. A bunch of tiki artists all did one page. Ken and Squid did one each. Then, I moved and I never heard if the book happened or not.

Back when I was a kid, I also really liked those big posters that you'd fill in with markers. They had themes like Dinosaurs, Sea Life, Fantasy land, stuff like that. I guess that was back when kids could be entertained easier - before computer games.

Hey Brad- Your designs would make a great tiki paint by numbers.... It might be a chore figuring out how to separate it into hard colors though. Anyhow, it would make the coolest paint by numbers I've ever seen.

Also, I contributed to the coloring book project as well. I did a Keith Richards/Captain Crunch/Pirate page... the coloring book was a cool idea.

Besides all that, it's always great to visit your thread here!

D

Yes i know it could be very difficult to make it a paint by numbers but wen q was a kid a also did them and always wanted a tiki painting. So i tough it would be entertaining because nobody had seen a tiki painting by numbers

[ Edited by: d0x08779 2008-09-01 09:21 ]

RH

I saw an awesome product on the craft site ETSY called, "Color-by-numbers farting unicorn." Is that awesome or what?

Great work Brad... pushing the envelope in front of you as you move forward. As always.

It'll be great being part of the team with you at Planet Rooth. We're gonna knock 'em deader than dead, tag team them until they can't takes no more.

http://www.robbhamel.com

Black velvet art for those who embrace the dark side of Tiki.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-09-01 05:53 ]

I

Part of the fun (and stress) about color for me is that I'm red-green colorblind, so a lot of my work is based on instinct and theory. :)

Take care,

I.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
p0~ Hey I think Ken has a Tiki Coloring Book, or at least did. Don't know if he has any left.
Robb~ Farting Unicorn? Now you're talking my language!
Ivan~ Wow, that's quite a challenge for an artist. Your work doesn't show any problems in relation to that. I applaud you!
So, got some work on the "Tiki Mag" page 7 painting.

The windows in my art making space let in a glorious morning light. Too bad I usually work at night.

A detail.

Redrew the third menehune. I originally had four, then decided I didn't have enough room for all of them and dropped it to three. However, I then changed the third one so it was facing more toward the viewer, so it's face could be seen.

Had to rework the figure three times on the canvas. I didn't make it large enough, then it was not working with the composition, so finally I had to repose it on the fly: bringing it's right arm up - this tied it back into the composition. Before, it was leading the viewer's eye off the canvas.
Happy Labor Day~
"Summer is offically over - now get off the beach and back to work!"

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-09-01 13:40 ]

Yea, Brad!!
love the Menehune!
i picture him having a duckwalk/bowlegged
too cool

Page Seven is gonna look SOOOOOOO great next issue!
this one is really shaping up!
thanks for the little snippets!
that new one is aweSOME too!
and Casper David Friedrich RAWKS!

Aloha~
Thanks Ken! I'm working to squeeze in enough time to finish it in time for the mag's dead line. This month is getting CRAZY busy with stuff! URK!

Mahalo~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-09-09 12:12 ]

Your wonderful Art-In-Progress thread just continues to wow me!

Unlike people learning a magician's secrets and then going "is THAT all there is to it?", I find that a peek behind the easel, so to speak, actually INCREASES the wow-factor -- at least for me. Like you, I love to see the various stages art goes through.

Anyway, all your latest stuff -- and all the rest, for that matter -- kicks major butt! You definitely rock, my friend! And congrats re. page 7 and re. the upcoming Planet Rooth show. Not sure if I can be there, but if I am, I'll be sure to say a big "Aloha"!

Cheers! :drink:

Castaway Clemens (aka KreepyTiki)

KreepyTiki~ I'm glad you dig the in progress pics. I hope I git dis done in time for the Tiki Mag deadline! I'm painting till I head out this weekend to the San Diego Tiki Mag art show, and to mooch on LLT'S gracious-ness, and crash on his couch!

ALOHA~

Aloha kâkou !!

You simply amaze me with your technique and attention to detail. Really looking fwd to seeing your creations in person someday soon.

Dirk

I NEED THAT TOWEL!!!!!!!!!!!! Will NOT be happy until I get my hands on one.

Oh, and the painting's great too. can't wait to see the Surfer one finished.

V

I second that... What is the story on the towel and how can I get some?

T

Hey Brad!
It was great to see you at the Tiki Magazine art show, even if it was only for a little while... too bad I had to leave early to haul ass up to Forbidden Island.

Your new work looks incredible! Can't wait to see the Tiki Mag painting complete... and in print in the mag!

The towel looks AWESOME!!! Where can I get my paws on one (or two?).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies