Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Atomic Tiki Punk - Thanks... I think I may go with the giant grabbing hand. However here's a very scary image:

No, not my cluttered art studio - (but that is scary)... It's the HUGE B L A N K white canvas!
E-gads!
Exotica Frankenstein is finished, so it's time to move on. I'll post a pick of Frank when the rain lets up and I can get some nice sun light to get a good photo of it.

Mahalo-
B

AAAAAAAAA!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2010-03-23 07:54 ]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
it's the RETURN OF THE BLANK CANVAS!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Brad goes BIG again.....
life is wonderful!

Aloha!
LLT ~ yeah, it's a 30"x24" - not huge for some , but way big after I just did four small 14" x 11" sized ones. It's still raining, so I set up some lights and got inside shots of Frankie. Pardon the non perfect lighting.

Here's "Frankenstein goes to Hawaii"

Here's a detail - last thing I put in was the bolts in his neck.

now.... on to the next one...

Here's it.
Well, at least it's not still blank!

B~

BT

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think this version is looking better than the other hand sketch. The other seemed a bit distant and less intimidating. This one is alot stronger i think, the hand more ominous. I think it'll be alright :wink:

Frank looks great! I was afraid you were going to forget his neck bolts, silly me. I see you got 'em. Nice shade of green on him too.

T

Tiki shark your the MANNN!!!!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Big Mahalo Plenty!
Badd Tiki ~ Thanks, thanks! :)
TikiMango - yeah, TikiFool reminded me too!
tikigodz- no no, U DA MAN!

B~

I am thinking, we will be bugging you for prints of this one Brad!

Nice! I like! Somehow vaguely reminiscent of Queen's News Of The World cover!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Atomic Tiki Punk - It might be interesting to create a Pulp Magazine cover with this art. Called "Tales From The Lounge of Mystery".
zerostreet - Was that "News of the World"? I had that in high school. Very wonderful cover, and the inside with the giant robot holding their crushed bodies... creepy! Too bad the youth of today do not get that "object of art" feel of the old records. Now it's a tiny image on a I Pod window.

Here's some more I did last night...

zerostreet - Was that "News of the World"? I had that in high school. Very wonderful cover, and the inside with the giant robot holding their crushed bodies... creepy! Too bad the youth of today do not get that "object of art" feel of the old records. Now it's a tiny image on a I Pod window.

That's the one...It left quite an impression on me....I was probably 8 or 9 when my brother and I bought that LP. I still have it in a closet somewhere...

On 2010-03-25 12:21, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Atomic Tiki Punk - It might be interesting to create a Pulp Magazine cover with this art. Called "Tales From The Lounge of Mystery".

Here's some more I did last night...

Now that sounds very cool Brad, that old pulp cover look, would work great with this one.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-25 13:34 ]

zerostreet - Yes, the giant killer robot with it's weird, child-like expression creeped me out. One of those images from your childhood that haunts you.
atomic tiki punk ~ Thanks, this is going in a very pulp direction. That, and the Kirby comic book Rapa Nui monster! I am listening to some pulp noir audio book stuff right now. I wish some one would write (and then have recorded as an audio book) some detective noir stuff about old Honolulu. There was that graphic novel of detective / supernatural action called "Hawaiian Dick" that was fun.

Didn't get too much done. Lots more to go...

awesome work just love it

BT

Just took a look at your site. The intro menu is great, probably the most original I've seen with all the interactive buttons.

I'm curious too, are you working in oils or acrylics.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 27, 2010 2:32 AM

Awesome gallery of wave pics here dude (check out the surfing sea turtles!)
http://www.clarklittlephotography.com/gallery/index/category/gallery|BestSellers/start/0/BestSellers.html

Congrats on the La Luz sales! Looks like a great time was had.
Sorry we missed it. Missed our plane back home from San Fran
and the later flight got us home really late that day.
We are going today just in time.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
First off....

Thanks for the very funny package and the yummy yummy sushi!
tiki beat by marcus thorn ~ Thanks so much! boy, nice to hear that when first thing in the morning you look at the canvas and wonder if you did good work last night on it, or just made a bigger mess.
Badd Tiki ~ Thanks! Originally I wanted to create the web site interface with no words and only objects on the beach. You'd have to click and explore the beach to find out what's on the web site. But, my partners said it was too confusing, and would take too long, for clients to figure out.
hewey ~ Cool! Yeah dig the original surfers!
Iokona Ki'i ~ La Luz was a ton of fun, sorry to have missed you too. I love the island, but it seems the heart of the tiki art scene is the west coast right now. there's some amazing art (tiki and non tiki) in that show at La Luz.
So, this part is about structure. The weird perspective of the cartoon city, the shape of the hand and fingers .... have not even really started on the real structure of the car... THAT'S gonna be a big project all by itself and a real challenge since I'm not a very good technical illustrator. Anyways... da hand...

Working out the shape. Guess you can tell I'm a fan/student of Brune Hogarth.

Lots more to go...

Aloha!
B~

Really looking forward to the step by step on this one Brad, Looking very pulpy!

Wow! That hands look great!

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2010-03-27 14:54 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Atomic Tiki Punk ~ Pulp! I picked up a cool old book in the Kona used book store on PULP ART. Some of it was awful - you can just tell the artist was rushing towards a deadline with no big payday, but, some of the rest was really amazing! Images above and beyond the 25 cents price on the cover!
zerostreet ~ thanks. I'm still working out all the shapes and lighting...and then it will need to look like stone!
Worked out the weird cartoon perspective!
ERGH!
Always dreaded that art class... and here it was biting my butt all day yesterday. I'd paint out some guide lines...and could hear my old teacher's voice in my head ... "hmmmm well if we extend all the lines to a point somewhere off the canvas ...blah blah..." Guess I should have paid more attention in that class.
But I think it sort of works. In a weird cartoon way. Which is really what I want. I love the squash and stretch reality of old cartoons.

And I want that in here - more cartoon than real, but not too cartoon...

So I think the street looks like it connects to the buildings and the car is almost on the street (sorta)

ALOHA!
B~

T

Thats going to be one great piece of work.
The hand reaching out is just perfect!!!!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
tikigodz - Thanks so much! The hand is 'gettin' there' - thanks to some digging through some old art books by Brune Hogarth. it's still gotta be made to look like stone before the finish!
Big Mahalo to Dale who lives over on Maui, and who is the owner/builder of the hot rod 32' coup I'm using as a model for this painting. He was nice enough to send me a bunch of photos of his car after I e-mailed him some sketches. He also has been giving some advice on where to tweak the look of the car.

As you can see, I repainted it almost completely after getting the better "scrap" reference photos.

ALOHA!
B~

Love seeing this one develop! Will there be a visible driver in the car? The spider web makes me think Grandpa Munster may be behind the wheel! Thanks for sharing these steps!

Zerostreet Illustrations

http://www.zerostreet.com

And coming soon:
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2010-03-31 16:11 ]

AWESOME BRAD!
AND THE UNDERPAINTING'S NEUTRAL TONES GIVE IT A REAL STREETY FEEL!
Go man Go!

zerostreet, LLT - Thanks guys! Busy week, not too much painting time.
Working on a possible project...

Post cards from Hawaii...

That's great Brad!

Got the Frame/Shelf done for Digga Do, Brad.

Hope you like it Brad!

Step by step, here... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33792&forum=18&start=last&75

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-04-02 19:33 ]

A

OK I'm clearly late to this gig- is that a custom drawing for your mugs? I'm losing my Limoncello addled mind!
:drink:

Atomic Tiki Punk - Wow it came out so great! Thank you thank you for posting it!
amybean - It started as a painting "Diga Diga Doo" - then custom mugs were made of the characters from the painting by Tiki Farm, then Atomic Tiki Punk was sooooo cool he thought of and DID what I had always thought would be the coolest way to display it all....
and wow, it's like way better than I even imagined!
Now, I gotta get mine all together just like dat!

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net
http://www.sargentsfineart.com/artist/parker.php

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-04-02 21:57 ]

ALOHA tiki tribe~

More done on the city scape...
B~

The vintage looking cityscape is looking sharp Brad, its got a real Max Fleischer "Superman" vibe going on!

HT

Brad-The postcards of your monster series for Hawaii are a great idea. Hope you go to press soon.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Atomic Tiki Punk ~ Thanks! I was looking at the old Super Man Cartoons - and also the animated Batman series from the 90's.
HB TIKI ~ Thanks, unfortunately, so far one distributor out here in Hawaii has passed on them -saying they are "too outlandish" for their customers. I'm still snooping around for a way to get them to market.

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net
http://www.sargentsfineart.com/artist/parker.php

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-04-05 12:25 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's a sketch of the Tiki Lounge.

Here's what it looks like so far on the canvas...

Here's the whole thing.

Aloha
B~

SHARP! very sharp!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2010 5:30 AM

Looking good mate! Can pick the 32 coupe style now, much better than the generic hot rod cartoon look.

I found this pic which is from a similar angle.

The things that stand out for me:

• Driver side pillar needs to be more vertical (making it parrallel to the passenger side, and making the side window more 'square' in shape)
  • Grille shell needs to be fatter/grille insert needs to be skinnier

Keep the progress pics coming :D

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2010 5:53 AM

I think Hewey is right about the Driver side pillar needs to be more vertical (making it parrallel to the passenger side. The rest could be artist license for you and the fictional builder of that car.

Really loving this piece! The mysterious woman at the door of the lounge is awesome!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
hewey - Thanks for the photo ref...yep! I had to adjust that.
teaKEY - yep, but the car builder is not fictional, he's a real hot rod builder who lives over on Maui. I'm using his car as inspiration.
zerostreet - Thanks! I thought the mysterious female stepped up the "pulp" a notch. Glad you noticed and approved!

I straightened out the windshield posts... hope to get a LOT more painting time in today than yesterday. Lots left to do!

aloha!
B-

Aloha!

Mahalo!

F

Brad,
Aloha long time no type. The car is looking great. Much better now that you fixed the roofline.
Frostiki

Great adjustments as usual Brad!
Kinda reminds me of that Sky Captain and the world of
tomorrow movie at this point.

Makin Magic there Brad!
they keep gettin better and better!
Lots of force and drama in this baby!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Thanks! Still working out the monochormatic under-painting...

closeer look

B~

cool Brad cool

I'm really loving this piece! Amazing work!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies