Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Aloha!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-07-15 19:10 ]

Aloha tiki Tribe~

Got my latest copy of Hi Fructose Magazine... flipping through the pages I found my ad!
Hope folks see it, and show up at the show in September!
Swank!
Brad~

That detail of the pirate could be a painting all on it's own! Amazing Brad!

Howzit Brad!! Just wanted to let you know I got my copy of MauiTime Magazine, Just when you think it can't get mo betta ~ 3D!! Cool man!!

Aloha's

Beachbumz - Wow! Thanks so much for posting that! I totally forgot that I had talked to them about doing this... I live over on the Big Island and we don't get that paper here. I better call 'em up and make sure I get a few copies!

Big Mahalo!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Well, back from the 3rd dimension and painting.

Here's some work I got done last night...

Want to get a swirl of treasure at the foot of the Tiki...

Here's a closer look at the unfinished tiki... and the undead golden monkey idol within an idol (?) This is an interesting merging of my patron's imagination and my own.

More to come!
Mahalo,
B~

T

That is crazy how the details make the whole painting jump out
You are very inspiring Shark!

GOLDEN MONKEY IDOL!

So much going on down there!
Congrats on the Hi-Fructose Ad!
Millions are gonna be there!

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

I was up late working on the tiki.
don't have a good photo of that... but here's the start of the next one. The invisible Surfer. Part of the monsters on vacation series.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's where the sunken pirate ship painting is now...

A better look at the tropical fish.

Almost done. I had to take a little time off and get a cold, get better, and then get ready for, and appear at, the Mai Tai Contest at the Royal Kona Resort here in Kailua-Kona. It was a blast!

Night before the event, me and my partner went down to the Royal Kona to check out the action. Glad we did! The drummer from "Third Eye blind" DJ-ed in the open air Mai Tai Bar and drummed live to the tunes. I was honored to have my art displayed on the walls the Lobby. Great weather, and fantastic sunset off the Kona Bay. What a magical evening.

Lots of people showed up the next day. BBQ contest during the day. Henry Kapono played live by the hotel pool - Awesome! If you don't know Henry's music look him up. His album "The Wild Hawaiian" took some classic Hawaiian chants and played them as rock. I think of him as the Hawaiian version of Carlos Santanna.

Many tiki tribe members came by my "booth" and said aloha - nice meeting folks in the flesh instead of only on the net. Big big Mahalo to everyone who came by and to Dug Miller, thanks sooo much for the cool mag (and asking the Royal Kona to use my art on the event T-shirts next year!) U da BEST! Everyone at the Royal Kona treated me so well. After the vendors all left, I was asked to paint in the lobby - where I got to sell more art as the Mai Tais flowed an the crowd filled with "aloha".

I'm really happy with how the event went. I did really well, I didn't sell everything, but sold a bunch of prints. I don't think I've ever been handed that much loose cash in one day, (....or shake someones hand and find out I was handed a small plastic bag of fragrant green pacalolo - talk about nice tips! Sheesh! Boy, you can sure tell this event was happening on the big Island! My inner teenager was delighted and wished I had been this popular in High School!)

I got to meet up with Gecko again, and trade a print for a really fantastic Tiki Mug! Big Mahalo!

Today my voice is gone, my feet are sore, and parts of me are sunburned... but many happy memories. Can't wait to do it again next year!

ALOHA!

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

[email protected]
http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net
http://www.sargentsfineart.com/artist/parker.php

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-08-15 22:57 ]

T

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Love that Tiki Brad! The detail is amazing! Great work!

the wood on that Tiki isMASTERFUL!
Great tawkin atcha yesterday,pal!

So much detail! Great work, Brad.

CA

On 2010-08-15 20:27, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's where the sunken pirate ship painting is now...

Tiki #27 Likes this
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_27.html
and #155 Tooooooo!!!
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_155.html

This Painting is over the Top!!

Could you put a little more design into your work! I feel like an insane-level minimalist after seeing this latest Super Cinerama Technocolor maxamalism masterpiece.

You outta include some flourescent paint touches on this one - with a blacklight that'd be a sight in person, fo sho.

Robb Hamel - Thanks Rob! Yes this one was HUGE, and kept getting huger as I went! I just finished it late last night.
crazy al - BIG MAHALO!
Atomic Tiki Punk - Oh sheesh... the details were growing... it was like building a reef with a freaking tiny paint brush.... but the fish were tons of fun to do.
little lost tiki - yeah I went out and looked at old palm trees in my area, plus down at the place of refuge - the tikis there are all weathered.
zerostreet - THANKS!

WELL.... it's done!!!!!
The huge-sunken-pirate-ship-and-tiki painting is done!
Whew!
I was up late finishing it. Am I gonna post a big fat photo? no. I'm gonna be a total tiki-Creep and save it for the OPEN NIGHT at my art show Sept 25th at the Manhattan Beach Creative Arts Center.
Check out the stuff you'll see at this link:
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/shows/2010/Tiki-Shark/Parker2010.htm

Come on down and gawk at the originals, high end giclees and even reasonably priced giclees on paper which I will personalize to you if you so desire.

Hope to see you there!
ALOHA
Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker

T

Wow! Just stunning, Brad. Simply stunning. 'Nuff Said.

You rock the Tiki Hut!

That's gonna be a great show! Wish I could see these in person myself!

When you see Ken, give him a juicy hug for me!

T

the fact that you can find so much fun in your work.and do it for a living is just effin amazing!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE~
Thanks everyone!'
I've been posting over on the California events area. Getting ready for my art show -opening night is Sept 25th!!
Leaving the island TODAY!
Here's the latest painting...

The Invisible Man Goes Surfing
Acrylic on canvas 11" x 18"

ALOHA
Brad~

Z

Can't......look....away.......paintings far... too...AWESOME!

Great. now my eyes can't close.
~Zero

ZeroTiki - Thanks!

Well the big art show happened after months of prep! Whew, it's nice to be back on the island. LA is great, and I love the culture and art and hot rods, still it felt good to be home.
The show was great, everything sold. La Luz de Jesus gallery helped make that happen, as did the staff at the Manhattan Beach Creative arts Center, a generous art patron, my agent, Big Toe, and many tiki tribe members. Big Mahalo to everyone!
Now, it's time to start the creative cycle again.
A visit to Ken Ruzic while I was on the mainland, and some looking at some great art books has started the cogs and wheels spinning.
More to come...........
Aloha!

Glad to hear it was a well deserved success, Brad!

While you were in LA I received your Tiki Midnight print in the mail! It's beautiful!

I get the feeling a visit to Ken's studio must be a very interesting time!

zerostreet - thanks!

So last Friday night before I left LA I stopped in at the Bob's Big Boy in Burbank to soak in the gleaming pleasure of Hot Rod night.
This sketch is from a car I saw that night. Might become a painting ... not sure yet.
Aloha~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Page of thumb nail sketches for this next painting. working title is "Tiki Town Prowl".
I switched the direction of the hot rod to reflect the direction of the auto in "Faster Than Disaster".

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 3:57 AM

Looks like a 38 Chev coupe? I likes it!

Ive got a mate building a '37 chev sedan and another building a '38 Chev pickup :D

RH

Hey 'Shark - what do Frank Lloyd Wright and I have in common????

We both HATE white walls in galleries!

They have a negative impact in enough ways I don't have the time to go into it!

Frank, by the way, tried to esplain it to the Guggenheims, and the ESTABLISHMENT of his day, and basically wasted a lot of air, therefore I will shut up now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hewey - Yep, That is a 38 Chevy coup my hot rodding professor! I wasn't right at first, I thought it was a 39 or so. I had to look up the years to see the diffrent grills. You got some cool friends building some cool machines! Hope they are offering up rides! My hot rod friends never seem to get their cars all the way to running...e-hem...
Robb ~ Vent like Pele my friend!
White... like a void. "When you look into the void... you blinked." (Batman: Justice League Crisis on Two Earths) ... (wow, I am so a NERD)
(Ok, now this is stuck in my head... Mick Jagger - paint it black!)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2010 2:40 AM

On 2010-10-06 23:33, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Hewey - Yep, That is a 38 Chevy coup my hot rodding professor! I wasn't right at first, I thought it was a 39 or so. I had to look up the years to see the diffrent grills. You got some cool friends building some cool machines! Hope they are offering up rides! My hot rod friends never seem to get their cars all the way to running...e-hem...

All the rods are in the build stage, though the guy with the '38 pickup has a '64ish Holden (GM) wagon, and the one building the '37 sedan has a '65 Falcon wagon :D

This is one of my pics of my mate who's building the 38 in his garage, you can even see the 38 grille in the background.

Hewey - That's such a great photo! Could be source for future painting!

Here's another sketch.
Think I want to add a black cat - connects to the "prowl" idea, with the black Chevy slowing cruising through the weird Tiki-opolis.

Happy aloha Friday by da way!

B~

I like this one Brad,but I think the Cat is messing with the composition a bit
maybe if you see its head popping up behind the plants in the lower left?
You can punch me in the face for saying so! :lol:

I love the idea of a cat following the car, sorta Batman-style, from building to building.

Also love that you are creating a "Tiki-opolis", a continuation of the city from Faster Than Disaster and one that will be present in future paintings! Very cool!

No worries - just messing around with compositional elements
Thanks - the city is getting interesting.

Here's a rough color sketch - warm light, cool light, warm light...
thanks!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2010 12:44 AM

On 2010-10-08 16:12, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Hewey - That's such a great photo! Could be source for future painting!

No worries! Following art like yours and Rob Hamel's has made me much more aware of the use of light in my photography :D

Aloha tiki Tribe!
Hewey - and your photos show you are a quick learning - nice stuff!

Here's some more color sketches...

and some more...

transfering sketch to the canvas

fixing shape o the 38'

A L O H A !

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hey, there is a french magazine named KUSTOM. Issue 21 s the "Hawaiian" issue. It comes poly bagged along with a 16 page supplement on my art.

Here's the mag's cover

the supplement cover

page 1 and 2 -don't know what it sez, it's in french, and my collage french is long gone.

page 3 and 4

page 5 & 6

page 7 & 8

9 & 10

11 & 12

13 & 14

Back cover
I don't know if these are still on stands in Europe, I heard they were popular and the issue was running low already.
Maybe it can be had on the net.

Aloha!
Brad

Hey Brad, the new stuff's lookin awesome as always. Lookin forward to seein the progress on it.

Yes,I have been missing the Step by step updates
You rock it! Brad.

Aloha tiki Tribe!
Glad to be back posting. The big art show had really taken up more time than I thought.

Today I had to re-think the idea behind the piece... after much sketching and wondering, I think I gained the direction back.
Aloha
B~

I really like the GARAGE pic and the rough color sketches. Neato.

Robb - yeah, I know I love the garage pic too. One day, when I finally learn to paint, that would be a great idea for a painting.

Congrats on the sellout show Brad!

The new piece is looking great, love the cat in the corner.

Man! i thought you'd be taking at least a week or two off...
you are on fire,my friend!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies