Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

R

Hi G..how'd the suit work out? I love the double curves of this pose looking at the profile. Dynamic.

B

Well Well, looks like the chips were flying for a bit at your house. "Strange Sounds", is what happens when you GOOF OFF too LONG! :lol: :lol: Seeing this guy develop is Well worth the wait though, he has that GMAN Sweetness about him that can Only come from your shop. Beautiful Flowing lines from top to bottom and in the middle too.
We've Missed you Bro, glad you're feeling a bit better, now Back to Work!!!
:) :) :)

J

Even at this stage in the carving it looks like a Henry Moore sculpture. Without a face it still has a lot of emotion.

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 4:47 AM

Good to see back into it mate :D

Hi Gman,

I like the chippy look!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 2:45 PM

Thanks for the replies above. That fellow is on hold for a bit while I get the BOILER MAKER ready for the annual croc hunt.

So here you have some work from today. After I did a little chainsaw tai chi chaun to get the blood flowing (I can't juggle), I sawed out a few Gman tikis for an order. It was bloody hot on my side of the jungle. I gave up after a few hours and hit the lagoon with a beverage.

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:37 ]

Nice happy little tikis! :wink: I like them! That's one days worth of work? You are the tiki :tiki:

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 4:40 PM

Craig-O,

That's crazy that you posted that pic. I am HUGE Evil Dead fan.. Bruce is too crazy!

I have them all too, do you have this one???

Dude, this is soooo off topic! Get carving!!

I just realized those are VHS. You need to upgrade man!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-05-25 16:54 ]

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 5:52 PM

OK then G...nice work on those two fellas and a well deserved dip in the pool.

B

WOW super stuff ... as always :wink:

Ben.

B

Those two are great, Ash-I mean GMAN! One day's worth of work?

Be careful with them chainsaws!

Bowana

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 26, 2008 2:11 PM

Tikifreak - Groovy!

Robin - Howdie. The heat gotcha yet?

Benella - Thanks for stopping by!

Bowana - Yes, one day of work. I needed Tylenol and the heating pad after that one. Ouch. Ash rules!

Today I sat around and worked in bone. I made a croc sculpture for the man room that is also small enough to be worn as a pendant. I could have spent two weeks on it, but I didn't feel like it. :D It is soaking in tea now sucking up some color.

-G$

"Crouching Croc - Hidden Chainsaw"..?

Two big woodies and still time for a dip in the pool? Man, Ive gotta get myself a chainsaw (and a pool).. Great stuff! Good to see you back on the bonez too. Have you taken new steps towards solving the dust problem?

Tiki on!

G! Demz crocs are jammin!

Bone thugs and harmony! Great job!

G

-G$

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

-G$

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The croc bone is very cool GMan, you do some nice stuff in da bones.
And I bet it was a lot of fun doing the old style GMan tikis. Have
more fun and be sure to post pics.

Wow what did you take this weekend. Whatever it was, share the love. Old school and new school in one weekend. The Gator is realy nice I love the texture that you added to its legs. You said it was soaking - I hope its in Green Tea to keep with the theme!!

J

It is great to see some classic Gman style quick tikis, you can sure put some personality into a log with a few cutz. They did make me grin.

I kept looking at the croc and how you have it's pose wound back on itself as well as working it around the natural curve of the bone. There is a lot going on in this piece. It should make a good gator gittin' charm.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 27, 2008 2:40 PM

Tama - Yeah man, getcha a chainsaw and a pool. They are both highly recommended :niiiice: No new dust avoidance techniques employed here....

Surfin - You still praying for surf? Thanks for stopping by.

TFreak - Get back to work you slacker :yell:

gMoney - Dude! Wassssup?

Conga - Yeah, making the Gman logs was fun. Its been a long time since I posted a "tiki" with teeth .... a long time. Thanks for the note on the bonz.

Aloha - A few days away from the stress of the day job and my creativity comes back. Too much stress at work keeps my art productivity low. The croc texture tools burned in a bit, but I new the tea soak would blend that color in.

Here are some pics of the croc after the soak:

-G$

S

Nice G looks cool. Very nice weekend project. It looks like conga's wood
smooth and white.

You going stone & bone on us?

B

Well Darn I Love the Crock, What a Crock. Did I hear you had a Bone to pick with someone?
This is the Guy I've been Missing:

Your guys are looking Great

J

On 2008-05-27 17:15, Benzart wrote:
Well Darn I Love the Crock, What a Crock. Did I hear you had a Bone to pick with someone?
This is the Guy I've been Missing:

Your guys are looking Great

but neither one of them are running.......

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 28, 2008 4:20 AM

I miss that guy too Benno......

Aoha GMAN!!! I'm glad to here your feelin better my friend! and WOW on the bone carving it is excellent! Looking forward to more of those wicked cool carving that you do.Aloha your friend Mooney

B

Gee dude, you gotta frame that :up: and hang it up in the man room...too hot to gator wrassle down there I recon.

S

That Pic of the mad man is the *hit!
Clasic

H
harro posted on Thu, May 29, 2008 6:35 AM

man that pic is priceless, if a little disturbing :lol: - I wouldnt want to cross paths with you in a back alley, especially the way the gap in your chaps looks like an open fly!!

love the croc bone Gman, with the little dots it looks really nice. and the old school Gman tikis are great too, I bet it was like riding an old bike doing them.

cheers.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 31, 2008 3:50 PM

Thanks for the replies above. I'm glad you guys liked the G-logs, the croc-O-bone, and the sawz shot. Good times.

I set the saws aside and moved the bonz back to their box. Today I picked at my cedar guy and started laying out his face. I decided to give him features like the Barefoot Assassin. E-dogg had surgery and I'm off work for a few daze so I'll likely spend some more time on this guy and see where he takes me.

-G$

On 2008-05-27 14:40, GMAN wrote:

-G$

Kia ora Gman ,
Excellent Croc there , it puts me in mind of the Tuatara that a mate of mine carved years ago (it has a recurring role in the movie "Utu" ).Love the subtle colouring too .
I was wondering how it looked suspended up the other way .
Jock

G- I wasn't expecting that, I was thinking it was going to be looking straight forward but that kicks A$$!!!

S

He is looking fantastic G. Yes, love the head to the side.

Your cedar looks so much harder than my PNW cedar.
I'm having trouble getting the detail i want out of
mine.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2008 5:55 AM

Toataiaha - Kia ora to you too. Thanks for dropping a note. I'm glad you like the croc. He was a quicky, but I like him. I have tried suspending him all sorts of ways. I think I like the look of him suspended by his left arm the best, but he wears the best if suspended by his left rear leg. Can you drop us a pic of your friend's tuatara? Pitch it up on your thread. I would love to see it. Oh, and welcome to TC!

TikiFreak - I know you weren't expecting that! Things aren't always as they seem :D I'm glad you like it. I need to dig those features out deep today and then start rounding them in.

Seeks - My brotha, our cedar might be a tad harder than yours, but it is still chippy as hell. It gets worse the drier it gets. Using it for the last few Tekos and doing all the diamonds was torture. One slippy and you're in deep sh*tty.

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-01 05:56 ]

T

On 2008-06-01 05:55, GMAN wrote:
Toataiaha - Kia ora to you too. Thanks for dropping a note. I'm glad you like the croc. He was a quicky, but I like him. I have tried suspending him all sorts of ways. I think I like the look of him suspended by his left arm the best, but he wears the best if suspended by his left rear leg. Can you drop us a pic of your friend's tuatara? Pitch it up on your thread. I would love to see it. Oh, and welcome to TC!

Gidday Gman , thanks , great place , its nice to be here .
I had a browse on the net for movie stills of the tuatara that was used in the movie , but no luck. If you ever get the chance to see the film 'Utu' take it , its a great film .
I know that Dave carved a few of them along the same lines , and they were usually holding on to the cord , in the same manner that TamaPoutini's wee green man was . They look well climbing up the wearer's chest.
With your Croc , you could thread the cord up under his jaw , loop out and in his nostrils and out the jaw again .

Might be a bit late for this tho. But for the next one ..... :)

Jock

In the heart of my soul I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
but I was born here a Celt in Maori lands and my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-06-01 06:42 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2008 11:10 AM

Toataiaha - We could do that. No problem. I think for now I'll let him sit. Thanks for the idea! :D

Today I spent some time cutting the facial features in deeper, rounding them out some, and working the jawline/neck area. I think things are coming together well. I still have work to do on the face, I'll get to that after other stuff is tended to. Here are some progress pics....

-G$

[ Edited by: gman 2008-06-01 17:15 ]

crazy crazy stuff Gman!
looks great, the red in there is just awsome.

B

Those pix are lessons !

Great stuff.

Benjamin.

S

Dam this guy is coming to life! Love that face nice nice.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2008 6:18 AM

Duddy - Crazy is as crazy does....

Benella - I hope you are able to see something in those pics that helps you. Thanks for the note.

Seeks - Thanks man. Those features seemed to fit him. Hopefully things will keep going smoothly and I'll be able to keep him moving forward. This particular log is a lot nastier than the other cedar logs I've worked in. This one is not forgiving at all. You just look at it and it chips out. Bugger.

-G$

Man I can't wait to see this one done and all "earled" up!!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2008 8:55 AM

Hey Freak. He'll get there. I should be able to spend a bunch more time on him this week.

Today I got to work on an old friend; however, he is on his way to a new home. I chatted with the fellas in the Manroom and unfortunatley this fellow got voted off the island. So, as part of a barter, this cat has gotta go. The new owner asked that he have NZ paua inlayed for his eyes, so that is what he got. I'll miss him. Pics below.

-G$

B

Daaayum, I'll miss him Too, Especially since he is not coming to MY house to join the Other GMAN's that I don't Have!
One of these daze. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously Lookin' Great Sir

On 2008-06-02 08:55, GMAN wrote:

..and unfortunatley this fellow got voted off the island*

The new owner asked that he have NZ paua inlayed for his eyes, so that is what he got. I'll miss him..

*Damn, if only you'd carved him holding an 'immunity-idol'.. :lol:

Stiff upper lip old Boy - letting go is just another part of the artists job, but I can completely relate. Take the philosophical approach: like a freshly fallen tree in the forest, there's now light pouring in through the canopy and an empty space in which to fill. Thats your sign to start a new piece..

Im sure the new owner will cherish him!

S

Man G, thats gota be hard. Do you get visitation rights?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2008 5:09 PM

Hey Benzo and Tama,

That carving and some others were sacrificed to the croc gods as they were traded for a croc hunting boat for me :happy happy:. I like the thought of the open spot in the forest; very comforting. This new Teko will take his place in the Manroom...he's already got his space picked out. I told him if he doesn't stop chipping, I'm not going to allow him inside. He's a demanding son of a Bi%$#

-G

J

On 2008-05-31 15:50, GMAN wrote:

Lookin' good. Is that Cedar bothering you? I thought he was looking forward as well, but I really should have known.

Is this guy really coming my way??, Yippeeee!

Here are some feet for you to add to the G collection.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28465&forum=15&9

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies