Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

Gus, I've posted the tikitap at one of the motorcycle forums I belong to. From the responses over there, it looks like you might have some minature work lined up.

[ Edited by: artonsafari 2005-10-26 06:13 ]

That tiki tap is so cool. I can really see folks going nuts over that.
You and the rest here in creating tiki always inspire me and make me want to try something new. I have to have a daily, ( sometimes several times daily) dose of this forum, it keeps me motivated.

B

Gman, The tiki turned out Awesome. I LOVE the stain job you did,,Killer. Love the tap handle too. Hopefully we can get together one day. \Keep up the Nice work.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 27, 2005 1:41 PM

Ben, Exotica, and Art,

Thanks for the compliments. It's nice to know others are as inspired by this forum as I am.

Ben, I'll contact you about getting together for the shark moko after all your hurricane repair is completed (or at least after you get electricity back)and your procedure is done.

Art, we'll talk about grinding some quickie tikitaps for your biker/brew enthusiasts. Can Do!

-Gman

Cool cool stuff TG. Your beer tap is stylin' Good stuff.
Hope your findin' time between carvin and sudzin' to wet more than your whistle. (The surf has really picked up over here on the left Coast)
Chongolio

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 27, 2005 3:58 PM

Chongolio,

Thanks for looking at my stuff and sending along your props....but I haven't surfed in at least 10 years....I think you thought you were on Tiki G from Jax's string??? I used to be a winter surfer in Rhode Island but now any water under 80 degrees is water without me in it! Anyway, I agree, Tiki G's work rocks! His "tuskers" are outrageous!

-Gman

Whoops, My bad I thought you were Tiki G.
I got it straight now. Keep on carvin' you got a nice style.
Chongolio

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 29, 2005 12:06 PM

edit

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-10-29 15:08 ]

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 20:05 ]

Great to see people stepping outside of the tiki box and doing other carvings. it seems to help their style when they reurn to the tribal poles.

your a machine nocking them out. Great Job

http://www.PalmCityTiki.com

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 5:58 AM

Cool saw fish. Gonna love seein this one progress. Makes a nice change from tikis, but is still tiki-ish. Get carvin and then post some pics

B

GMAN, that is gonna be one cool fish. I Love it already. Ditto on having the security to step outside the box. Keep us posted with lots of pic's.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 4:17 PM

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 20:06 ]

GMAN- That looks like the start of something sweet!!! The more pic's the better!!!! Your stuff is great!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Later,
Spermy

LOOKS FISHY GMAN....REAL NICE...AND THE TIKI IN THE
BACKGROUND (third from last pic) SEEMS TO ENJOY YOUR
WORK TOO.

Sweet variation in your work! The saw-fish is superb as if wouldn't be anything but. Plus it could be a great war club. Your professional back round must be helpful.
Nice Chevy 2500. I have the cousin, GMC duramax.
Wes

Cool. Creative. Love the dark stain, looks real rich.

TG

Gman nice! That big one look's kinda like one of my radio controlled airplanes sitting in the workbench from the side! Always did enjoy building and flying those things until I practically cut my fingers off one time.....duh.

The sawfish is a good way to wet your teeth to carve one of those style war clubs B.K. put's out. I think you would enjoy trying it! You have the "flavah"!

B

You're really goin' to town on those guys. I can't wait to see them All hangin on the wall.

Neat, I really like it!

Thanks for posting all the pics, I'm such an image junkie.

I know whenever my husband gives me the go ahead to add yet another tiki related accent to the house, I get 'er done as fast as I can!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 4:23 PM

Spermy, Conga, Moondance, Surfintiki, Tiki G, Benz,
and Tikiwahine,

Thanks for looking at the pics of my new projects and taking the time to send on some encouragement. It is appreciated greatly and it goes a long way.

I used to carve lots of fish (in the seventies) before I got into floating/hunting duck decoys (the eighties). It feels good to be back into it. Although, my tiger shark is still sitting untouched in the other room, gasp!

I posted yesterday that the smaller sawfish would be hung in my house.....and I spent a lot of time on it to make sure it was worthy of a space here - however, things change and he will be accompanying a Gman tiki out to Hawaii. I figure I can make another and this person will enjoy it greatly. So be it. I put the last coat of finish on it tonight and installed the rostral teeth. It is ready to go as soon as it dries. I might be able to get a pic of it tonight, but if not, I will post a finished pic of it tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for commenting....

-Gman

G man , I really like the fish. They would make a worthy addition to any tiki bar or home.

Thanks for sharing such detailed pics.

Gman, have you ever done turtles?
A cute little honu swimming across the wall would be very cool.

I'd love to see some of your other creations, you really have a nice style.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 5:09 PM

Rodeo,

Thanks for the note. I agree, a sawfish (carving) should be in every tiki bar. Try not to pay for parts of real sawfish as that only adds to the demand for their rostrums. Endangered species are listed as such because they are in bad trouble. Anyway, here are some pics of the finished sawfish "mask". I will take better pics for my album tomorrow in the sunlight (to see the finish) and will likely put one up on TC if they look good. These pics are good enough for you all to get the idea of what it looks like completed. It is 48 inches long.

I will be posting a 50.5" cedar tiki on the tiki marketplace this week, so if you are interested in what I do, please check over there tonight.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-10-31 20:00 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 6:53 PM

Tikiwahine,

Check back for sea turtles in the next few months.....

-Gman

Fine work, GMAN... Wicked-looking spikes, but really great work!

GMAN-
EXCELLENT SAWFISH!!! Sorry for the scream but you amaze me everytime. Your carvings and Bens are on my Christmas list for sure. Even if the final photos don't come out well could you send them to me PM anyway?
Wes

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 9:25 PM

Will do Wes.... :tiki:

-Gman

Gman, your sawfish is steller. I also have to say, much as I like the natural red cedar of your recent tikis, that new staining technique of yours really adds to the look. Especially with the gloss finish. Thanks for all the pics, there is no such thing as too many.

Cheers,

A-A

On 2005-10-29 12:06, GMAN wrote:

I see ya stained the tiki with the detailed warhelmet. Looks good Husk! The Saw fish look sweet too. You ever finish that shark?

C

That is pretty cool. Nice job! G

Chongolio

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 5:29 PM

Sam, Moondance, and AA,

Glad you like the sawfish and the dark mahogany stain. The weather sucked here today and I couldn't take any good pics of it outside. I hope I can get some better shots before it goes away.

AA, I'm glad you like the finishes I'm doing. I did a bit of furniture refinishing a few years back and learned a few neat things. I've also found a few cool products that take a lot of the work out of it.

The megalodon tiki left with the UPS man on Saturday heading to South Carolina. I was sad to see it go. Now the dark mahogany sawfish and the tall "V" cut cedar tiki (the one without the tribal design) will be heading off to Hawaii. I posted the real big cedar tiki with the pony tail and TALL headdress on eBay last night. There's a link to the auction at the bottom of my string on the Tiki Marketplace forum. I'm gonna hate to see it go too, but it has to. If you know anyone who might be interested, let 'em know.

I'm doing a tree job tomorrow night after work and should have a bunch more cedar to stash in the garage, although it will need to age for about a year.

I'll be working on the big sawfish over the next few weeks, so stop back by.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 5:35 PM

Art,

Nope, the shark is still as was. I've been carving for everyone except myself. Maybe I can work on it during my vacation - maybe not. I put some highlight stains and a first top coat on the tiki with the "V" cut and design. It still has a few coats of finish and some sanding yet to go until it's done. I'll post a pic or two when I'm happy with it. Thanks for posting.

great looking saw fish carving - very stylized and super smooth. I agree, that would look great in a tiki bar...maybe add some polynesian style tattoos...very cool stuff, gman.

we have a palm here in so cal (maybe other places too?) that the fronds have little spikes on them and resemble the rostrum from a saw fish. I have (what looks like) a young mexican fan palm that has the spikes, so I don't know if it's a "juvenile" protection strategy or if it's a different species...but those would look cool too.

great carvings - I dig the dark stain too. looks fierce.

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-11-01 18:53 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 9:55 PM

Cool dude! Love the saw fish. Very cool. Maybe take some pics outside so the features are more defined? Love it

B

Excellent work. I would Love to see a whole school of these hanging on a wall. Love it!

A

... very nice...

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 2, 2005 3:45 PM

Polynesiac, Hewey, Ben, and Alohabros,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep trying to carve and post pieces that you guys will find interesting.

I went out tonight after a hard day of fisheries management and dropped a troublesome cedar tree for a friend. I've been working from two that fell on his property in a hurricane last year. This one was hanging over telephone and cable lines and I was a bit nervous about being responsible ($-wise) if I took the whole show down. We also needed to lay it down between my friend's fence and his pool. I put a good notch in it and we tied a control line on it up high and tied the other end to his jeep. As I worked the back cut, my friend put tension on the line with his truck. When it started to go, I signaled to him to move forward, and it went down perfectly, nice and slow, and controlled.

I cut six nice sections to make tikis out of and cut several of the branches up to make tap handles. Too bad I can't use any of it for like a year, but hey, I have four big sections of the dry stuff still to carve. I painted the ends of this new stuff and stacked it in the garage. Happy Happy - Joy Joy!

-Gman

M

Sounds like you have a nice stash going there GMAN.
wes

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 4, 2005 4:28 PM

Hey all,

I wasn't able to get any better pics of the sawfish before the new owners took delivery. They will send pics of the sawfish and the tiki in Hawaii when they can. When I receive pics, I will post them here. Thanks for all the comments these last few weeks. I've been working hard and churning out a lot of carvings lately. I'm all caught up now, I think, and I'm looking forward to slowing it up a bit and carving and painting over my upcoming vacation.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 10, 2005 7:00 PM

Hey folks,

I did another tree job last night. It was mother of a palm tree, tight up against a screen room over a pool. The owner wanted me to drop it within a 6 foot wide area to miss his screen room, hedges, and another younger palm tree. His house was built in 1921 and this palm was enormous. I had to climb to the top rung of an extension ladder and reach over my head just to set a control line on it. I used nearly 75 feet of one inch line (and a Dodge diesel truck to pull). Also, the top of the palm was all tangled in oak branches that could have pushed tree over onto the screen enclosure. I was worried to say the least. Anyway, I got it down exactly where he wanted it (I got really lucky) and nothing was hurt but my head and shoulder. As the tree pulled out of the oak, I got slammed with 3 and 4 inch diameter branches raining down on me. One slammed my hardhat and another hit my shoulder. I thought I broke my dang collar bone. For the most part I got out of there with a little cash to buy supplies with, and only a smashed hand. I closed my right hand in my truck door and munched my fingers up good. I likely won't be carving until mid next week so stop back by them.

Also, as I come across trees that need removing, if you are looking for some special pieces of wood, give me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out. This last tree was a queen palm, so I didn't keep any of it.

-Gman

B

Sounds like you got beat up pretty bad over there. What kinds of different wood do you come across? Mahogany grow over there?,or Boshofia?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 10, 2005 7:17 PM

Ben,

I mostly see palms, cedar, and oaks. I usually know what I'm gonna take down a few days before hand so I can try to give you a heads up if it's something neat. If I run into a cool exotic hardwoods. I'll save you all I can - I'll deliver it too! :)

-Gman

nice job on the sawfish, Gman... i like the stain process you are using now.

B

Thanks GMAN, such a deal.
I'd be glad to have you over even without the wood.

Makes me wish I lived in Florida! G... glad you're not too banged up... be careful!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 13, 2005 5:04 PM

Hey all,

I'm just back from a long weekend in the North Florida woods. I just read BK's post about "logs with big teeth" and that all on TC should study and follow traditional designs. I'm tired from all the traveling and walking I did this weekend and want to think more about what he said, although this struck a chord with me. In the meantime I will not be posting on TC. Since joining in early summer, I've just been having fun, creating and carving, and trying to be supportive of others. I've enjoyed the comments and the positive energy from many of the folks here on TC. However, if this forum is to be limited to the handful of artists recreating historical designs, so be it. Later.....

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-11-14 13:27 ]

T

its all about you and what you think. I think that your tikis have gotten better and you seem to know what you like.

GMan.....just speaking for myself....I've never been
offended by anything you did....and you seem like a
good dude...stick around!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies